Blowout Troll
Years ago

Questions about NBL rules vs NBA

1. Does the defensive 3 second rule apply in the NBL? If so, does it result in a free throw like in the NBL? I have seen on a fair few occasions where an OFFENSIVE 3 second call has occurred, but i have NEVER seen a defensive 3 sec tech called...EVER....i find it impossible to believe that while we see the offensive one called, that no one has infringed the defensive one.

2. I have noticed in this league that there is alot of full court presses, it happens so many times...More often than not, it results in a 2 on 1 fast break or an open dunk. Why is this so common in thus league? I hardly ever see the full court press in the NBA. The only time you see is in the dying seconds when teams are trying to intentionally foul. Never any other time. Why is this?

Topic #38446 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

There is no defensive three seconds in the NBL.

Coaches might offer more insight, but I imagine the full court press probes for a steal and burns time off the clock, pressuring the offensive team into making a mistake when they set up their offence.

The 40 minute game might mean that teams can maintain a press with their better players for more of the game?

Reply #563462 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Isaac, why isnt there a defensive 3 secs rule? Isnt that a fundamental of the game of basketball?

Reply #563466 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

3 Second rule does not apply in international rules anywhere its purely an NBA only rule. Which in turn makes the game more of a One on One game and makes it harder to clog up driving lanes. The rule was put in to showcase the one on one ability of NBA players

Reply #563467 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would it be fundamental? There wasn't an offensive three second rule for the first 45+ years of basketball's existence.

AFAIK, European basketball doesn't use the defensive three-second rule. High school basketball doesn't use it.

NBA historically had rules against zone defence that would've covered this to some extent.

Reply #563469 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Ah ok, thanks

Reply #563470 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

There is a no hand checking in the NBA which makes it difficult to press full court

Reply #563471 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not playing every second night probably makes it easier to press, too.

Honestly, 99% of NBA games is just neither team looking like they even care, which is why I don't bother with the league.

Reply #563472 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And yeah, the defensive three second rule has existed for twelve or thirteen years in one league. That's it. Hardly a fundamental rule.

Reply #563473 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If you full court pressed an NBA team you would get torched. The coaches are too smart and the point guards are freakishly explosive and skilled.

Any NBA point guard can split a double team in a heartbeat, especially if it's in the backcourt.

It would be suicide.

The smaller court may be a factor, but only a small one.

Reply #563517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FULL COURT PRESS ON WESTBROOK CP3 ETC THEY DONT TURN THE BALL OVER THEY ARE 10 TIMES BETTER BALL HANDLERS THAN NBL PLAYERS.IVE SEEN THE OCCASIAL FULL COURT IN THE NBA USUALLY THE POINT GUARD WILL MAKE THE OTHER PLAYER LOOK STUPID.DONT COMPARE NBA SUPERSTARS WITH NBL PLAYERS ITS LIKE MAYWEATHER MUNDINE

Reply #563637 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I think it would be amazing if in the event that a European division came into the NBA that they played European rules in their own division and for all of their home games. It would never happen but it'd be cool.

Reply #563644 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I love comments that you can't press NBA point guards because they're athletic and quick. You do realise all the guys they're playing against are athletic and quick?

Sure, there are some PGs you wouldn't press, just as there are in the NBL, but if the players could be bothered pressing it would be an effective technique at the right times. In any comp in the world an intense press gives teams trouble, you see it occasionally late in NBA games forcing turnovers.

Reply #563664 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

I recall the early-90s Bulls using a full-court trap/press, as Horace Grant was a mobile enough PF, and they were quite successful with it against certain teams, the idea usually being to get the ball out of the primary ball handler (witness '91 NBA Finals with Divac awkwardly dribbling up court), and to burn time off the shot clock, forcing an offence to rush their sets. I recall seeing a lot more of it in the NBL 3 or 4 seasons ago. Some coaches like it, others prefer to have their defence already set. The NBA is a very conservative league in terms of tactics, particularly defensively.

Reply #563667 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Paul: it can be used very rarely as a surprise technique but one timeout and the coach will generally figure it out.

You can run a press all game against a team like Townsville in the NBL and they'll cough a turnover up every few possessions while trying the same thing over and over again. It disrupts their entire evening.

If you did it for that long in the NBA you would concede so many layups when the trap gets busted 9 times out of 10. There is a golden age of point guards right now, especially in the West. Double teaming them in the backcourt is exactly what they want.

Even if you run a more conservative half court trap: giving one of those guys two defenders at halfcourt is exactly what they want. They split the double and then they have the whole floor in front of them and a 5 on 3 situation, with two scrambling defenders instead of one.

A supremely skilled, athletic offensive player will generally be able to overcome a supremely skilled, athletic defensive player. There are dozens of elite scorers in the NBA, there is only one Kawhi Leonard. It's so much harder to stop those guys from getting where they want and getting the shots they want than people give them credit for. It's always going to be slower moving laterally (defense) than running naturally (offense), except for the extreme cases of quick, long, athletic wings like Leonard.

The closest thing to pressing that you'll see these days is going to be hard hedging and blitzing pick and rolls in the halfcourt. Which is still a risky maneuver that few teams can pull off successfully (Shawn Dennis has had Townsville blitz lots of pick and rolls since he has arrived, for an NBL example, to disastrous results defensively). Very few teams can pull it off.

A similar approach (a press or trap) in the backcourt is even less conservative than that, and it's going to result in a fastbreak more often than not against elite / smart ballhandlers.

Reply #563689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They play an 82 game season in the NBA. Players don't have endless reserves of energy to draw upon.

Reply #563715 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The coach only figures it out in one time-out if you're doing the same thing each time, which no good pressing team does. Mixing up what D you run and when you run is very hard for oppo teams to counter.

But in the NBA there is limited practice time to develop good disruptive defences and little inclination from players to run them given they are playing so many games.

Reply #563724 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Another rule difference is court dimensions

NBA is 94*50 feet. 2 and 1 longer and wider than nbl

3 point line is different shape in NBA and it is longer at the tops

Reply #563812 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well another difference not sure if it's ,"rules" per se

Reply #563813 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Presses generally work best at lower levels where skills are low.

At higher levels presses are used as last resorts or to take time off the shot clock.

Reply #565042 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754