WNBL fan
Years ago

Boti - Forever Blowing Bubbles

Hmmm.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/forever-blowing-bubbles/

Topic #38454 | Report this topic

WNBL fan  
Years ago

on a side issue - does Boti still coach for a local club at all ?

Reply #563754 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

By the sounds of that article, I definitely would say that Boti is "blowing Bubbles" or vice versa hehe:P

Reply #563760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti wishes he could blow Bubbles

Reply #563761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti bubbles ?

Reply #563762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching him though you can see he's a level above the NBL and with his athleticism would be effective in the NBA.

Reply #563765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he was good enough to be in the NBA he would be there already. He's had an opportunity.. good player, But you wouldn't say he has a better NBA game than Ennis and look where he is.

Reply #563767 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Goulding would have a different role on the team. You cant compare the two, really.

Reply #563771 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He's a better shooter than Ennis. Ennis was in a league of his own athletically in the NBL, but in the NBA he's merely above average/good.

Goulding isn't a pure shooter, but he's one of those freakish scorers that knocks down 'bad shots'. If Vujacic can get a gig in the NBA, is it too unrealistic that Goulding can too?

Reply #563772 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Vujacic is only in the league because he somewhat understands the triangle. IMO

Goulding is ridiculously good but not an NBA athlete. He dominates in the league because he can create his own space almost at will and gets enough looks to get hot. With the calibre of athletes in the NBA and the role he would have on the team his strengths would be cancelled out.

Reply #563775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needs to be a better defender to crack the NBA.

Reply #563778 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You need to be a good team defender to survive in the NBA, not necessarily be able to cover Westbrook/Curry individually. Obviously he's not a great defender in the NBL, but his role is so keyed on scoring that I just don't think it's a serious focus for him, and no one is going to get on his back about it given what he provides scoring.

That would need to change in the NBA, but hey, there's a lot of guys who can shoot 3s and aren't known for their D that bounce around the league, just because the 3pt shot is so valued.

Reply #563780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If he was good enough to be in the NBA he would be there already."

It doesn't exactly work like that. There are guys in Europe who have turned their backs on the NBA because they can make more money in Europe.

I'm not saying Goulding is some hidden gem NBA scouts haven't cottoned onto yet but if he were given the chance in the NBA and his team ran some plays for him (very unlikely) he could do something.

Obviously different levels of talent but I see a fair bit of Reggie Miller in Goulding.

Reply #563781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guys in Europe aren't participating in summer league actively trying to make an NBA roster. That's what I meant by he would be in the league if teams saw some value in him. The amount of scouting that goes into individuals in summer league is INCREDIBLE.

For someone like Goulding to be have NBA talent and just "slip through the cracks" is near impossible. There is reasons why he isn't in the NBA.

Reply #563783 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO Goulding is much more skilled than Ennis.

I never felt Ennis was overly skilled. Not any more skilled than other good NBL players anyway..

Reply #563787 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's a combination of money and risk. Most Europeans who want to give the NBA a shot would be doing so for either less than they would earn in Europe, or without guaranteed contracts.

There are a lot of guys in Europe who would give NBA teams more value on the court than rookie 2nd rounders and undrafted college FAs.

Reply #563788 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Obviously different levels of talent but I see a fair bit of Reggie Miller in Goulding.

Ummmmm, VERY different...

Reply #563789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No harm in a comparison, snooch. A lot of people were in agreeance with Derek Rucker's likening of Corey Maynard to Goran Dragic!

Side note, how much have Goulding's flopping ways hurt his chances of making it big in Europe and the US? Offensively at least, he was killing it with Dallas.

Reply #563790 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

That was me^

Reply #563791 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I doubt flopping is going to hurt him any. There are some great floppers in the NBA, too.

Reply #563793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"IMO Goulding is much more skilled than Ennis.

I never felt Ennis was overly skilled. Not any more skilled than other good NBL players anyway.."

I agree, Ennis was just athletic.

Reply #563794 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Do you think he is a better shooter than Jimmer Fridette?

Reply #563820 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Who goes straight from the NBL to the NBA if you werent sent to the NBL from an NBA team to begin with like Ennis?

The only way Goulding makes it if he makes the Boomer in Rio and has a fantastic tournament.

He wont make it to the NBA based purely from his NBL form.

Reply #563825 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I think he could help an Nba team... almost an unorthodox style he plays with. Confidence through the roof doesnt hurt either. Like always with the Nba all about timing abd right situation. Alot has to go right for a player like him to have success. But think about this if you had to choose between Goulding at United or a Rasual Butler... who you taking? Id take Goulding yet Butler is in the Nba both shooters.

Reply #563827 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goulding is now known in NBA circles, so any good performances anywhere will help him get try-outs, summer league spots and veterans camp contracts, and that's where he'll be judged.

Reply #563832 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Spurs will grab him and he will get a ring.

Reply #563834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the Dallas Mavericks scout was interviewed on Foxtel, he was extremely impressed with Chris Goulding.

Don't be surprised to see Goulding in the NBA next season

Reply #563836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though I doubt Goulding will be in the NBL and think he'll most likely be in the NBA or back in Europe, NBA scouts coming out here and supposedly being impressed with guys doesn't really mean much.

NBA scouts also supposedly loved Thomas Abercrombie and Axel Dench too.

Reply #563838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Who goes straight from the NBL to the NBA if you werent sent to the NBL from an NBA team to begin with like Ennis?"

Andrew Gaze, Shane Heal, Mark Bradtke, Chris Anstey and Nathan Jawai went from the NBL to the NBA.

Also guys like Paul Rogers, CJ Bruton, Ben Pepper, Brad Newley and Ater Majok were all drafted by NBA teams out of the NBL.

Reply #563841 | Report this post

As said by many others if he was NBA standard he would be there, players like him are a dime a dozen. He wouldn't get the freedom over there to take the shots he does, defenders would shut him down pretty quickly in the NBA.

Reply #563863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homocide loves blowing bubbles - forever going on about CG43

Reply #563906 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Goulding might get a shot when he has some defence. Offensively he is around the mark. People say he wouldn't get a shot up in mgs, but somehow someone as basic as delly maintains a spot. Brains make up for lack of athleticism. He could make the adjustment

Reply #563943 | Report this post

Yoda  
Years ago

Hmm...6'3" and un-athletic does not and NBA 2 guard make.

Reply #564048 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, if you could combine Goulding and Blanchfield you'd have a guy who could do some things in the NBA, but I think Chris' ceiling is an impact off the bench with his level of athleticism.

I'm happy watching him play here to be honest, same with Webster!

Reply #564070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My guess would be definitely"
Wordsmithing.

Reply #564096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Watching him though you can see he's a level above the NBL"
I think Boti's point is that because he's in the NBL, and so that is the level of the NBL.

Reply #564098 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I don't subscribe to the non-believer's theories on CG43, notwithstanding the little issues of flopping here and there (plenty of NBA players are doing exactly the same), I am bullish about him.

1. He has the desire and work ethic.
2. His confidence is the key and it seems to be there.
3. I draw comparisons to James Harden, not the most gifted athlete or defender, but just outright talented and can shoot.
4. It is about opportunity, if he gets one and things fall his way, there is every chance of an NBA contract.
5. If he wants it bad enough, finds the right fit with the right coach and system, no doubt it is possible.

Reply #564101 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's clearly not too good for the NBL because he's not noticeably better than Jackson, Lisch, Childress, Webster, Ogilvy etc. He's also only had three of nine games where he's shot above 43%.

Reply #564103 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A lot of it is about Right place, right time.

Goulding could yet make a back up 2 man in the NBA- or more likely, a starter or 6th man in the Euroleague since he can play there as a local.

Reply #564123 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754