Touch the rim
Years ago

R6: United @ Taipans, Fri Nov. 13

Friday the 13th... no day more fitting for Melbourne United's luck to run out and have their streak broken. It is written I tell you! Taipans to get the chocolates, the cookies, the milk... all of it.

Their halfcourt sets are slow and about as ugly as Steve Buscemi's hauntingly abhorrent mug. BUT it's just the ticket to get United out of their rhythm. Besides, no one shoots the lights out in Cairns.

Unders is the play here boys. Snakes by six

Topic #38461 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taking under in an NBL game?

The NBL is trying to make this a high scoring league, which they think some how translates into higher attendances and viewers on TV.

Therefore, defense is prohibited in this league.

Reply #564125 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Therefore, defense is prohibited in this league.
You're kidding, right? Teams play aggressively all the time to the point that they've been trying to clean it up.

Reply #564127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all seriousness, the defences in this league are pretty bad.

Reply #564128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am also very suspect about these rims...

They seem incredibly soft..I have seen so many times the ball bounce on the rim and die very heavily after the first bounce.

Another initiative to make it high scoring.

Its all artificial.

Reply #564130 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Taipans by 3

Reply #564131 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

lol, how was that 2 FTs to Goulding? LOL

The owner of the NBL owns United lolololol

Reply #564238 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, Imagine if David Stern while he was commissioner also owned say the Lakers LOLOL

Only in Australia

Reply #564242 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Have to admit that foul to give Goulding 2 FT's late in the first was a very, very ordinary decision, but anyone who trolls here about the NBL not being a defensively competent league is just that, a troll.

Taip's by 6 if they stay confident and focus...

Reply #564243 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Does anyone else think that the top middle logo on Cairns home court looks like a game of Space Invaders :P

Reply #564246 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

What would the Americans say if David Stern during his tenure as commissioner ALSO owned say the Lakers?

What would they say?

Reply #564247 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dammit! Had a multi ($20) on NZ to win by 10 and under and HT tie on this game. Goodbye $728 :(

Reply #564250 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

#gambleresponsibly

Reply #564251 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Does anyone else think that the top middle logo on Cairns home court looks like a game of Space Invaders :P

Cairns' entire court looks like a logo!

Reply #564253 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

A very stupid bet is the HT tie..but when it comes off its profitable though (but thats hardly ever)

Reply #564254 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Perimeter shot after perimeter shot after perimeter shot after...zzzzz.....

Reply #564257 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Is Majok that good at rebounding? Or is it just that Melbourne have no one else that knows how to, so he gets all of them?

Reply #564262 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

WTF where was that foul? Another howler

Reply #564264 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Yeah the refs... went to the Melbourne United school of refereeing. Ridiculous

Reply #564266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did he get that to go

Reply #564268 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

United have played terribly arrogant basketball tonight..lack of respect for the opposition. Chucking up absolutely ridicolously contested threes..not running offense. Expecting it to just happen.

Reply #564270 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@macdub - is t that how they have got what their wins lol

Reply #564271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exposed on the road where the refs wont bail them out

Reply #564275 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kind of but not entirely. In other games they've got a lot more open shots and worked the ball movement penetration. Tonight was all off the dribble isolation IMO.

Reply #564276 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Refs are dead ball experts today

Reply #564277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt loves and and 1

Reply #564279 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

How much shit has Holt chucked up tonight?

Reply #564280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

holt is allways chucking difference is they usually go in.

Reply #564282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy with that and the Supercats keep their 1984 - 15/0 streak alive, yeay!

Reply #564286 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Happy for Starks. Takes real character to go from being under the pump to becoming a key part of the Taipans team.

He could have zoned out and accepted his fate but he worked hard, started playing aggressive and his reaping the rewards.

Reply #564292 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Agree, MACDUB. Good to see. That game at NZ was the first time Starks seemed to break out -- emotionally more than anything. Great to see him run with it

Reply #564296 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Melbourne looked a bit like a one trick pony.

Jackin up 3's all night.

Was fun in the crowd, bubbles copped it every time he missed, things looked a bit tense in the United camp as scoreboard pressure got to them.

Gliddon kicked Gouldings arse tonight.

Reply #564321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said it before, NZ are still faves to win the title.

Reply #564329 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Happy to hear the fans were giving it to Goulding.

Reply #564334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns got some home cooking in that game.

Reply #564342 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

What did I say huh? Unders and Snakes win huh?

#UndersGame #MakingBank #UnitedDueForALoss #NoHomeCookingWhatsoeverAreYouF***ingKiddingMe #AwayCooking #FlopCity #FlopGoulding #BubblesPopped #StarksIsWarmingUp #ProbablyTheQuickestPlayerInTaipansFranchiseHistory #BringOnPerthNextSunday #HardBall

Reply #564346 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It's just a shame Melbourne aren't 8/2

Reply #564353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice to see the real goulding re-appear tonight , throwing himself on the ground like a child. precious little thing.

Reply #564354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Goulding got a flopping warning this season?

Reply #564356 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The LiveStats link http://www.nbl.com.au/livestats/?matchid=139039 doesn't show the game stats on the NBL website. Does anyone have a stats link that works?

Reply #564368 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Once again Flopper43 was doing it again. Once again the refs patted him on the back & doted over him like he runs the league. Amazing how being on the road changes things. They will lose on the road to every team bar Crocs b4 the season is done.

Reply #564370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I greatly enjoyed seeing Worthington flop like crazy and get a charge against Goulding. The ref should be stood down for calling it though.

Reply #564371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unreal performance by Cairns BTW, high-speed but clinical at the same time. Craig and Gliddon exceptional.

Reply #564372 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Gliddons d on Goulding was the highlight of the game for me.

Reply #564382 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Hard to believe how little attention Hoops junkies have paid to this game.
All credit to Fearne & co for working out how to tweak the defensive geometry, and to the Taipans for delivering on it.

Reply #564386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not hard to defend United. They just jack up hero ball shots, some times it goes in, others not. Cairns got lucky on a night they weren't dropping. Has little to do with Fearne.

Reply #564388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ shut down United's offence two weeks ago, and Perth two weeks before that. It's nice to see Cairns back playing some good D though, and I thought their offence looked pretty good too.

Reply #564389 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns got lucky on a night they weren't dropping. Has little to do with Fearne.

This.

Reply #564397 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Until you pointed it out Snooch I'd no idea 'luck' was so important.
United must have lots of it, then? That would explain it.
If there's luck Taipans created theirs.

Reply #564402 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This was to be expected.

Too bad Illawarra threw one away (ie Beal got going) cos my Hawks Kings Taipans multi would have got through.

Reply #564425 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The Taipans executed a bit better, but were lucky they met a United team that was due for a loss and played about as badly as they could have. And even playing as badly as they did, could have still pulled out the win.

That has zero to do with Fearne who imo remains the most over-rated coach in the country.

United is a far superior team to Cairns across the board.

Reply #564432 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

hahaha snooch does it again.

Reply #564434 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cheers Podge, I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Reply #564439 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

#SookySnoooch #FearneCanAbsolutelyCoachYouBloodyNumpty #DemopoulousCouldHaveDoneWithAFewOffensiveAdjustments #ButFromTheTimeoutsISawHeTalkedAboutDefenceWhenThrRealIssueWasOffence #ThenAgainALotOfTheUnitedOffenceIsGeneratedFromTheirDefence #IfStarksCutsThoseWildShotsOutOfHisGameThenHeWillBeAmazing #PodgeWhatIsYourTake #IsStarksTheQuickestTaipansPlayerYouHaveEverSeen #HardBall

Reply #564440 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Haha, OK. Sorry we can't have differing opinions.

I don't follow either team, just making my observations.

For the record, didn't say Fearne couldn't coach, just that he's the most over-rated coach in the country - and I stand by that.

Reply #564443 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Seriously though, the way United have approached the last two games with regard to in-game adjustments suggests to me that they've mentally checked out a bit waiting for that loss. Lord (zingis) help the Crocs next week.

Reply #564445 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Trying to find a clip of that Goulding continuation call, so I pulled up the live stats play-by-play and looked for Goulding shooting a pair of free throws.

The first instance was at 22-14 in the first quarter (the clock wasn't on-screen, so I had to use the scoreboard as a time reference), where he went two of two after being fouled by Cam Gliddon to make the score 22-16.

So I pulled up that moment in the game...and Holt was fouled by Bruce at 22-15, and went 1/2 from the line to make it 22-16.

Uh...what?

Reply #564517 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

...and then Alex Loughton hits a three to make it 25-16 on the live stats, while in real life Cameron Tragardh gets an and-one for the same scoreline.

This is the same venue that gave Gladness's blocks to random people, or just nobody, in a game last season. Do the live stats people just make up whatever they think sounds nice? Or has there been a mix-up somewhere with a game that just happened to have the same scoring progression?

Reply #564518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one hot day doesn't make a summer

Reply #564613 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:00 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754