hikikomori
Years ago

Offensive rebounding in the NBL

Whats the deal with the NBL? Offensive Rebounds at pro level should be as scarce as hen's teeth

The NBA averages about 10 offensive rebounds a match per team

The big men are either too lazy to box out, or they just lose out to easy on the offensive rebound?

Topic #38467 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Zone defense would inflate the O board numbers.

Reply #564285 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBL players actually bother to try. In the NBA, a shot goes up and nine guys jog back the other way.

Reply #564289 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yep, agree. Fewer people contesting the rebounds in the NBA. On certain possessions in the NBA, teams almost have that mentality whereby its either we either make the shot or they secure the board.

Reply #564299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that case the NBL's fast break points should contribute a greater percentage, anyone got the stats?

Reply #564303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think in the NBA some of the teams and their analaytics beleive that O-Boards contribute little to winning, so they beleive they are better off just getting back on defense so dont really try too hard for them if at all.

Reply #564319 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

The Garnett-era Boston Celtics seem to be the first team I remember consciously not try for offensive rebounds in an effort to get back on D, limit transition baskets, and set their half-court defense. I'm not sure on the analytics of it.

As someone mentioned, zones make it hard to box out and prevent O-boards, especially on long/3 pt. jumpers (they tend to create long rebounds).

To be honest, can't say I've really noticed what I would consider 'more than usual' in the NBL games I've attended.

Reply #564336 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That long shots create long rebounds is actually a myth.

Reply #564344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? Have you ever seen a long rebound off a missed 3? How about off a missed layup? Citation needed.

Reply #564345 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

There does seem to be more offensive boards than usual I have noticed this season. I feel like the defence isn't as strong as in previous years.

Reply #564348 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Really? Have you ever seen a long rebound off a missed 3? How about off a missed layup? Citation needed.
Yes, it happens more often with threes than with layups, but unless you brick a shot it should fall close to the basket regardless.

97.5% of all shots fall within 14.2 feet

Additionally, it's also a myth that longer shots are more likely to create offensive rebounds.
We see that the best location to attempt a field goal to maximize the chance of an offensive rebound is close to the basket. Shots attempted within 6 feet of the basket and missed are recovered at a 36% rate. From 6-10 feet, the rate becomes 28%. There is a significant change in the 10-22 foot range,where missed shots are only rebounded at a 21.5% rate. There is also an interesting transition at the three-point line where rebound rates outside 22 feet jump up to 25.5%.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/108-sloan-sports-2012-maheswaran-chang_updated.pdf

Reply #564350 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

This is where Matty Knight lives

Reply #564357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On average longer shots create longer rebounds, it's simple physics.

Reply #564369 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Won't see too many scores identified on the stats sheets as coming from fast breaks - none in fact, based on my observation.

I understand that is because there is no ready [and quickly identified] statistical definition of a fast break so a decision has been taken not to use the 'fast break' stat.

Reply #564395 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Are those Sloan Sports figures from the NBA though (where they don't play a zone defense)? Does anyone think that would make a difference considering a zoning defender has to find a rebounder to box out.

I also would like to know the difference (if any) a lack of the offensive basket interference makes in terms of offensive rebounding?

Reply #564399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ and Perth have consistently topped the league by dominating possession and other teams have had to catch up, and there are some world-class o-boarders in this comp.

The Tall Blacks ranked second at the 2014 WC and 4th in 2010, with Vukona 5th in 2014 and 11th in 2010, and Abercrombie 3rd in 2010.

Alex Pledger ranked second at the 2012 Olympic Qualifying Tournament, AJ Ogilvy was 5th at his U19 WC, Mitch Young 7th at his, Matt Knight led the WCC in o-boards and Nate Jawai averaged around 3.5 OR per 40 mins in Euroleague and at the WC.

Reply #564409 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Violet crumble......you better call pop and Brett brown and hiibert etc about there being no zone in the nba.

Spurs play significant zones against dominant scorers, eg VsMiami lebron in the playoffs.

Thibs ran plenty of zone schemes for the Bulls as an example.

Reply #564584 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Because there aren't a tonne of great shooters in this league, it's easier to get away with playing a zone, and therefore harder to grab defensive boards.

Reply #564628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754