TR
Years ago

David Andersen / Boomers article

Andersen boost to Boomers

DAVID ANDERSEN earns $2.5million a year playing in Russia but will have to cool his heels playing off the bench for Australia against New Zealand at Perth's Challenge Stadium next week.

Andersen, a starter with CSKA Moscow, is better known on the streets of Siena and Bologna in Italy where he played for five years before moving to Russia.

Having carved out a reputation as a scorer and rebounder in the Euroleague, Boomers coach Brian Goorjian hopes the addition of Andersen will boost Australia's chances of a first-up win against New Zealand's Tall Blacks next Tuesday.

Andersen is one of four changes Goorjian made yesterday after returning from a whirlwind tour of Japan and China, where Australia won the Kirin Cup and finished third behind Lithuania in the Boris Stankovic Cup in Beijing.

Goorjian has boosted the Boomers' big-man department with the addition of former Sydney Kings captain Matt Nielsen after a season in Greece.

The new-look squad includes Kings captain Jason Smith, back from a three-month spell in Croatia, and pint-sized Hunter Pirates point guard Brad Davidson. Dropped from the 12-man squad are Adelaide's Oscar Forman, Russell Hinder (Pirates), along with Wollongong's Andrew Rice and the injured Sydney player Luke Martin.

"Nielsen, who has just signed a new three-year deal to play in Lithuania, like Andersen, will start against the Tall Blacks off the bench," Goorjian said.

"Andersen could easily play in the NBA, but has chosen to play professionally in Europe."

Andersen, who calls Frankston in Melbourne's south east home, represented the Boomers at the Athens Olympics last year. He honed his skills at the AIS in Canberra but only had one season in the NBL, 1999, with the Wollongong Hawks, before moving to Europe.

Elsewhere, the Perth Wildcats announced they had beaten West Sydney and the Adelaide 36ers for the signature of 212cm Olympian Paul Rogers.

Source: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16143253-23769,00.html

Topic #3847 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Would he necessarily get more than $2m in the NBA? I guess there's no guarantee. Maybe staying in Russia is the right thing for him?

It will be interesting the see how he goes. He had a bit of a backseat to Bogut in Athens.

Reply #44799 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

Unlucky for the big O. I'm guessing by that post that Holmes is still there. I haven't kept up with the stats from the tournament. What were the Boomers stats like.

Were there any surprises?

Reply #44800 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruton played very well and made the tournament All Star Five. Saville had one great game and a few where he didn't shoot very well. Worthington regularly scored well. Holmes scored OK and rebounded very well (stays in the team for this tournament). Helliwell was OK. I think those were the main guys that I noticed. Loughton did OK also. Their starting five in China and Japan was mostly Sav, CJ, Helliwell, Loughton and Holmes. Worthington was the main contributor off the bench. The rest got OK minutes. Rice and Forman were the "get a run in the last quarter if it won't decide the result" guys.

Reply #44801 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Wonder if Oscar feels a bit hard done by he did tops score in one game in China on 100% shooting.

Reply #44805 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I don't think so. I think that he was squeezed into the team when Davidson was injured late in the Boomers camp.

Reply #44807 | Report this post

U.T.B.N.B  
Years ago

If Anderson could "easily play NBA" then why the hell doesnt he. I find it hard to believe money would be a factor. Its a cop out coz the NBA is the toughest league in the world. If it was sooo easy he would earn millions more...

Reply #44825 | Report this post

Rabbit  
Years ago

Andersen is apparently looking toward playing in the NBA with Atlanta during 2006/2007. They did want him for 2005/2006 but riding the pine in the NBA for similar money to what he's on now, whilst being a Euroleague All-Star doesn't make the deal one worth rushing into.

Reply #44953 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Oh no, don't tell Cheeseburger. He won't shut up for another 12 months now!

Isaac, please delete Rabbit's post!

Reply #44958 | Report this post

dub zero  
Years ago

thats great

Reply #44960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754