Anonymous
Years ago

Who will make the Rio Opals team?

Who do you think will make the Rio team based on the performance in this wnbl season?

Obviously some non-wnbl players will be locks, including penny, liz, and Erin. But how about those who are currently playing in wnbl?

Topic #38479 | Report this topic

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Doesn't matter. Whatever combination they throw together will medal. That is how strong womens ball is in Australia.

Reply #564585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We shouldn't be too cocky. Besides the USA, France, Spain, Turkey, Russia, or even China could be our competitors for a medal in Rio.

Based on the current WNBL season, the following players should make the Rio team (in addition to Taylor, Cambage, and Phillips).

Batgirl
Richards
Penaluna
Talbot
Jarry
Cumming
Madgen
Mansfield
Ebzery

Reply #564594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Brazil. Hosting country with a couple of WNBA players.

Reply #564595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton and Lavey are locks regardless if they perform or not.

Reply #564605 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Who *will* make the team, or who *should* make the team?

Coach clearly has his favourites.

I would love to see Ebzery, Talbot & Penaluna in the team. Not holding my breath though.

Reply #564606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes agree with above poster, Lavey &Burton are locked in even if they only have one leg a piece

Reply #564618 | Report this post

Years ago

home team always punches above their weight - czech repub, turkey in the worlds, brazillian women are always good, let alone on their home court - but we got it done nearly 10 years ago...

Reply #564619 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Has batgirl retired from international play ?

If we could medal with Graf we can medal with (almost) anyone.

Reply #564622 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No, Batgirl has not retired from international play. She took a break from it but as far as I know plans to be in the mix for Rio.

Reply #564623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sami Whitcomb will have citizenship by Rio 2016. I wonder if she will be invited to the next camp given her current form in the WNBL

Reply #564635 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

I think this would be our strongest team:
Cambage
Tolo
Francis
Griffin
Taylor
Jarry
Ohea
Allen
Phillips
Madgen
Mitchell
Lavey/Mansfield/Ebzery ? (cant decide last guard)

Reply #564649 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Thanks to this thread I thought of a new band name. 'Nostradamus and the Locksmiths'. I think it has relevance and style (I could be wrong...)

Reply #564654 | Report this post

Years ago

so LJ not playing Andy ? will Tolo be back from injury ?

Reply #564655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield? Seriously, the Olympics are a huge step up from playing in the WNBL and she has no international experience and has only just now broken through the WNBL ranks.

The PG spots are locked up, Phillips (can play the 2 as well), Mitchell and then Lavey.

Mitchell has been on form nearly our best player taking into account her season last year in the WNBL, her great season with Phoenix and is playing well again this season.

Lavey has impressed me, will get limited minutes in Rio but great experience for future Opals teams.

Tolo should be back in time to play again in the WNBA and then Rio.

I like Andy's team but I think Madgen may struggle to make the final cut. Talbot will still get a gig before her as she is a supreme defender and bigger.

LJ would have to come in if she proves her fitness but that is a big IF!

I also think Hodges will get the nod over Griffin.

Reply #564665 | Report this post

Game  
Years ago

Anon, I think you would be surprised with what Mansfield could actually achieve. I was speaking with a WNBA scout about her a few days back and she was very impressed saying that her poise under pressure was good and her ability to hit players with solid passes is on the right level. I think she warrants a squad birth to prove herself at the very least!

Reply #564689 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Too soon for Mansfield IMO.
Have said it a few times in recent weeks that I regard her very highly and think she should be considered for international experience ASAP, but from where she is now, to Rio, in 9 months, is too much. Wouldn't be doing her or the team any favours.
Ditto Tupaea.

Guard spots are still up for grabs, but I can't see anyone new to the program getting one.
Therefore Wilson, Madgen, and Ebzery still in with a chance IMO, along with the incumbents in Phillips, Mitchell & Lavey.
It's silly/pointless to be making final calls this soon anyway, but on current form and also based on what attributes Joyce seems to value most in players, I think Ebzery is in with a real shot.

Can't discount the possibility that Erin won't be healthy for Rio either. All the more important to keep an open mind about the backcourt.

Reply #564700 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

You bet Luuc, way too early to be making any meaningful calls about this. Rio is a long way off. Lets just hope and pray that our 'locks' remain healthy. BTW I still enjoy people making their selections. So go for it everyone.

Reply #564858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pg Mitchell
Pg/sg Phillips
Pg/sg 1 of lavey, madgen or ebzery (Lavey more than likely)
Sg/sf Taylor
Sg/sf Allen
Sf/Sg Talbot
Sf/Sg 1 of jarry or ohea (jarry more than likely)
Pf/sf Griffin
Pf/c Penaluna
Pf/c Francis
C/pf 1 of tolo or batkovic (tolos a terrible rebounder, I think batgirl)
C Cambage

Jackson looks unlikely...

Starting lineup imo.
5'8 Phillips
6'1 Taylor
6'2 Talbot
6'2 griffin
6'8 cambage

Reply #564882 | Report this post

Cam  
Years ago

Griffin gets her citizenship on Sunday.
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3497026/calling-australia-home-photos/?cs=81

Reply #564911 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Great news there

Reply #564945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tolo will get the nod over Batkovic as she has a very good record on Griner (if we play the US)

Agree that Jarry will get a spot before O'Hea.

I think that the withdrawal of Batkovic and O'Hea for last years World's won't do them any favors with Joyce.

Reply #564951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LJ has to be out of contention at this point. Yet another set back and her return to the WNBL pushed back to (potentially) January.

Reply #565161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Griffin just need to be a permanent resident in Australia for 2 years now and she can play for the Opals?

Or is a permanent resident the first thing and then citizenship comes next?

Reply #565163 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She has already had PR for a while. Citizenship is the final stage to becoming a fair dinkum true blue Aussie sheila.

Reply #565175 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Basically come Sunday, she's a Strayan and can be picked for the Opals.

God I hope so.

Reply #565258 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't actually think she's a shoo-in for a spot in the final 12, but I'm very happy to have her as an option.

Reply #565259 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

I'd take her over Jarry and even O'Hea.

Reply #565270 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Joyce told Fairfax Media his current advice was Mitchell was counted as a naturalised player as she was first an American citizen then gained an Australia passport through her mother, who was Australian.
Mitchell plays in the WNBL as a local player and Griffin will be able to do the same but FIBA rules allow national teams to select only one naturalised player."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-opals-coach-brendan-joyce-faces-tough-call-on-naturalised-stars-20151118-gl2n9i.html

Reply #565500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought passport/citizenship via birth rights (Mitchell with an Australian mother, so entilted to Australian citizenship via birth) wouldn't have counted via this rule.

I would assume the tall blacks would have issues with some of their players being born on the pacific islands. The English/Welsh/Northern Irish thing would also be similar.

This rule is more for places like Russia that would hand out passports for cash if they will improve the team.

Reply #565506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we can only take one naturalised player to Rio, then Mitchell rather than Griffin will most likely be the one. Griffin is just not as fast as other forwards like Jarry, Talbot, Allen, or Burton. Given the current Opal squad's tactic style, Griffin may not fit it at all.

Reply #565523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rule is rule. The article explained it very well already. We can only take one, among Mitchell, Griffin, and any other potential naturalised players.

Reply #565524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it explained very well by Joyce saying in the artcile "I'm pretty sure Leilani comes under that rule" ?

Yep we have confirmation...

Reply #565530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Burton gets the nod over Griffin I would laugh and cry.

Reply #565547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Griffin similar to Bishop and I get the impression Joyce won't select either as he prefers to play fast.

Mitchell is a lock, can't go into Rio with Lavey as back up PG. Lavey will be there only to get limited minutes when Phillips plays SG as per World's.

Fingers crossed our 2 world class players Penny and Liz stay fit because we're in trouble if either go down injured.

Reply #565563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin matches up against people better than Bishop.

Reply #565689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My pick...
Phillips/Mitchell
Taylor/Allen/ebzery
Talbot/jarry
Francis/penaluna/griffin
cambage/batkovic

tolo, bishop, burton have all had poor seasons and aren't in great form.
Jackson is unlikely and ohea doesn't seem to fit with Joyce.
I think overall ebzery is a much better player than lavey and so I would choose her. Currently 3rd in points and 1st in assists which helps her cause. A Much better shooter than lavey too. Doesn't have laveys quickness but is the next best.

Reply #565894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The strongest team heading into Rio - minus Brendan's favouritism, and lack of belief. This would be a strong 12 to take away to ROI.

1. Erin Phillips
2. Penny Taylor
3. Jenna OHea
4. Kelsie Griffin
5. Liz Cambage

1. Leilani Mitchell
2. Rebecca Allen/Katie-Rae Ebzery
3. Steph Talbot/
4. Lauren Jackson/Abby Bishop
5. Marianna Tolo

Reply #566471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on form... And injuries..
Definitely no bishop, Jackson or tolo.
Batkovic, penaluna, Francis...

Reply #566472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson at centre maybe, But she ain't no pf anymore.
Hasn't got the mobility...
Tolo at centre is a bad choice, terrible rebounder compared to Jackson, cambage, Francis and batkovic.

Reply #566521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754