Greg
Years ago

Kelsey Griffin - Citizen of Australia

To be presented with a special ceremony after the Spirit's home game against Dandenong at Bendigo Stadium.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3497026/calling-australia-home-photos/?cs=81

Bring on Rio.

Topic #38486 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't necessarily be selected for Rio:

Australian Opals coach Brendan Joyce faces a conundrum when considering newly naturalised forward Kelsey Griffin for the Rio Olympics.

The WNBA forward and Bendigo Spirit star will complete her Australian citizenship this Sunday and be eligible for Opals selection.

But Joyce can pick only one naturalised player and already has point guard Leilani Mitchell, who played an important role in the 2014 FIBA women's world championships and shapes as a likely selection for the Rio Olympics.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-opals-coach-brendan-joyce-faces-tough-call-on-naturalised-stars-20151118-gl2n9i.html#ixzz3rwO4xaDn
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Reply #565542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take her over Mitchell. She didn't do much at FIBA and Joyce loves Lavey.

Reply #565543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce loves Lavey and that is all the more reason we need to take Mitchell!

Reply #565546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got Phillips, don't need Mitchell.

Need size and all the little things Griffin does that barely anyone does.

Reply #565548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchells mother was australian,

Reply #565553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@565553

This is from The Age article - be interesting to see if Joyce is correct or not in the advice he has received.

"Joyce told Fairfax Media his current advice was Mitchell was counted as a naturalised player as she was first an American citizen then gained an Australia passport through her mother, who was Australian.
Mitchell plays in the WNBL as a local player and Griffin will be able to do the same but FIBA rules allow national teams to select only one naturalised player."

Reply #565567 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Congrats to Kelsey on her Aussie citizenship!

Reply #565569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We were already over the limit as Liz was born in the UK, although she got her Australian passport via birth rights as her Mum was Australian.

Basically the same as Mitchell, although it happened to Liz earlier.

Mitchell was not naturalised.

Reply #565574 | Report this post

Cam  
Years ago

I think the key word in the article is "current" and I am guessing BA are working on a solution. I don't believe Mitchell should be classed as naturalised as she only claimed what was hers by birthright. She never played any games at any level for any USA rep teams and she certainly didn't go through the permanent residence process like Griffin. A soon as she landed here to play for Dandy she was classed as an "Aussie" as many had concerns as to how they were fitting her in with Krista Phillips (Canada) and Novosel (USA). I assume much will depend on how far BA want to push the issue with FIBA (or beyond?)

Reply #565578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We do need a banger like griffin.

Bishop, tolo and burton have all been sucking..
Jackson is injured.

We do need her...
With cambage up front we can go slightly smaller at pf I think.
If we play the USA, most likely she will come up against della Donne or Parker at pf.
Other teams can't really match our depth in the other positions.

Reply #565582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's the case re liz first having a British passport then if they call Mitchell for the "naturalisation" clause Liz too must also come under that same clause which would really put Joyce in a quandary

Reply #565595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eight players on the team that represented Nigeria at the 2009 FIBA AfroBasket tournament were born in the United States...A similar amount played in London 2012.

I don't have the exact details of the rule although I think getting the citizenship before turning 16 helps (why Liz is different to Lei).

Reply #565627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754