Anonymous
Years ago

What's up with the Sydney Kings?

Tim Hudson since you make the decisions for the Kings despite having a new CEO.

Can you please answer some questions for us Kings fans:

1) Why does the players continue show a lack of
desperation each week in a game they could have
won but lose?

2) Have the players stop listening to Cotter?
3) Will the Kings make a coaching change
before they move to Homebush?

Topic #38505 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the new CEO?

Reply #565532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Who is the new CEO". Exactly.

His name is Craig Meagher, but you wouldn't know it given the Kings barely said anything about it. Another example of a chronically mismanaged club.

The sad thing is how much apathy there is in Sydney about the Kings. People just don't care about this team anymore, and that's on the ownership, who in the past five years have blundered from one disaster to another as crowds and media interest continue to plummet.

Tim Hudson is way out of his depth in this position they created for him and yet makes most of the decisions about the team - hence their current plight. In my opinion Cotter is in an untenable position and it's pretty obvious the players know he has no real power. He can't put the fear of God into them or inspire them because in reality he's not much more than a lame duck coach.

While this ownership group remains in charge, nothing will change, no matter if they sack Cotter (as I think they will) or not.

Reply #565565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like what I've seen from Hill and Markovic should get more burn too but they do lack quality and depth to compete.

A few guys don't look like they have the talent to step up to the level thou but when your spending on 1 big name import an he is injured it shows in lack of results

Reply #565566 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Cotter couldn't coach pigs to be dirty.

Reply #565568 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Another tough pill to swallow for King's fans, especially with Jackson and Jackson on the bench, and Vikona on 4 fouls with 5 minutes to go. Should have gone inside to Harrington or Kazzouh to get that last foul on Vikona.

But Cotter only has one offensive play: shoot the 3 pointer with no rebounders in sight. He doesn't know how to adjust to how the game is being played.

Next week's offence will be: give the ball to Childress - a one man team. No doubt they will win a few, until he gets another injury.

Reply #565577 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

He doesn't know how to adjust to how the game is being played.

This is one of the huge criticisms of his that his fans and those people with their heads in the sand that say he's not to blame even in part for where the Kings are now refuse to admit and it's incredibly frustrating... Sure, they'll say "but the players actually do it on the court" but do you think a coach worth anything would continue to put up with the players not running plays or going against his game plan? So the only other reasonable conclusion to come to is that he doesn't have any better ideas... Which isn't what you want in a coach...

Reply #565583 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Another concern for Kings - only 1 home game out of the next 6.

Reply #565594 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Whats the new/old location like for the Kings? i must admit I rarely watch any of their games cept when they are playing at the Arena against the Cats. Are people heading out to the new place? Whats happening to the old place?

Sydney seem to have this fascination of attempting to build a team around a STAR. When that star falters then bad things happen.

Reply #565597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Cats fan ^^^

Reply #565608 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I dont know about Classic? Ive only been a member for 3 years.

Reply #565612 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

The old Kingdome in the city is being knocked down. The new one is in the Sydney Olympic Park 30 minutes drive, (but could be 45 - 60 mins in peak hour traffic on a weeknight).

There is some talk that city fans will not make the drive, and the city corporate companies may not continue sponsorship boxes.

Olympic Park is better for fans from the west, however people from the west generally have less disposable income.

Reply #565614 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Are they rebuilding the Kingdome or is it being turned into Housing/Other?

Reply #565615 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

The old Kingdome is becoming apartments. There is some talk of an indoor Tennis/Basketball Centre at Moore Park, but there has been no commitment so far, and that could be a long way off.

Reply #565620 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Seems like a decent bloke, but he has been there for over a year and has shown absolutely zero as a coach. Hoping childress goes crazy seems to be the extent of the game plan.

Who has improved duing his time as coach? Garlepp improved last year, but has been balls this year. Brandt has gone backwards.

Kings get out hustled and out enthused on the reg. They concede tons of points to basketball 101 plays. Someone cuts back door for a lay up while the lings players stand around.

They should also clean out the roster at the end of the year. Nobody but Childress should be assured a spot next year.

Reply #565644 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Matthew only 3 years? There is still time to save you then ;)

Reply #565664 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

haha.. Well my folks took me when I was growing up. Back then we had a place called the Entertainment Centre and there was Tiny Pinder. Cal Bruton and co. Then we had some hard times and couldnt really go anymore and it sorta faded away (and they moved to a place really hard to get to). Since its been back in the city Ive only missed 2 games. I like the Atmosphere as much as the Basketball.

Reply #565683 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ Yep that's probably a good summary of how a lot of fans have supported the Wildcats.

Reply #565705 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't know why but when I look at Damien Cotter he reminds me of WA premier Colin Barnett and I just wanna see him punched... I think Cotter's suit makes him look too professional...

But seriously I tipped Kings to finish top of the ladder this season and the whole they don't have enough depth seems ridiculous, they have a heap of talent;

Khazzouh is scary good, Brandt is a good backup and his starting experience should come in handy.

Garlepp is the worst rebounding power forward in the league and I'd bench his arse until he enforces his will on the game and I'm not talking ill advised shots selection. Hill is better than advertised and I like his length.

Childress needs to get on the court full stop. Prewster looks good enough to have a bench role in this league and if he keeps nailing those corner threes then his value will only increase.

Thornton seems like your normal young import that is taking a bit to settle in and I think he is a better shooter than he's displayed and if it starts falling then he offers enough. Carter is a proven winner but needs to find his niche in this team.

Cadee is having a great season so far and I think it's great seeing his confidence grow. Markovic, the absolute biggest issue with Sydney is not getting his leadership and he's their best facilitator and I had believed he would push Cadee to lift his game (which has kinda happened but not as effectively without Markovic's spark). Injury report says illness and game by game proposition so hopefully he is right but you'd imagine he'd be the next player to retire before Schenscher.

Reply #565795 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cadee is about the best thing about the King atm

Reply #565796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But seriously I tipped Kings to finish top of the ladder this season and the whole they don't have enough depth seems ridiculous, they have a heap of talent"

They have good offensive talent, very good with Childress on board, but they have the worst defensive line-up in the league, and that's almost as important.

They'll win their fair share of games when Childress gets back to his best, but you can't compete with teams like Perth and NZ unless you defend.

Reply #565804 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@ anon maybe I'm of the belief that Carter and Khazzouh are really good defenders and they will lift the intensity of the others and when I made that prediction I didn't see how defensively inept Thornton was going to be... He's an absolute joke

Did he get taught how to defend by Jordan MacRae?

Reply #565854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings just don't have the cattle. They have drawcards. Getting bums on seats is their major concern. Whoever recruits for them forgets about building for the future and unfortunately this was proven when they signed Markovic and Carter. Both great players and well worth having one of the in your mix, not both of them.

Cadee is proving he belongs in the league. The bench seems small and is not contributing much. To think the Kings had Weekes but didn't give Hume anywhere near enough court time to keep him. Be on clearly thinks he can contribute and he gives the Hawks a real spark.

Reply #566642 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

People keep talking up Weeks, and while I think what he's done has been a big improvement, it really comes down to bad timing this season as he'd had how many seasons to actually prove himself with the Kings previously and actually done nothing? He had a stint where he was Harvey's replacement for a while and got the minutes, but didn't really produce. It's only been since he's come back from his time in Germany where I guess he got a big confidence boost and a LOT more minutes to actually improve his game that he's carried it back into the NBL...

By the time anyone had a look at him, most teams were full and the Hawks lucked out, they certainly didn't chase him with their magical foresight and were the lotto winners with him choosing them, he worked hard and made the team last minute...

Good luck to him, he's finally doing well, but blaming a team because they passed on him, especially for someone who has the experience and at the time a better reputation, seems a bit foolish...

Reply #566841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:33 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754