Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Hawks, Nov 21

A big game for both teams tonight. These games are those that teams reflect on at the end of the season and say "if only we won that one"

The Sixers and Hawks have played swapsies all season with fourth spot and so getting the split on the other is all important.

The Hawks are led by the mercurial Oscar, and look the strongest they have for a while. Ogilvy and Penney are leading the scoring with Lisch the other member of the unholy trinity. The Sixers will be tested tonight when the boys from the Gong rain threes like Russian forces dropping bombs in Syria.

The teams actually balance up reasonably well and so the big question tonight is who will be more efficient in execution. Who will be like a boy band and sing in harmony?

The Sixers will be boosted by the return of Mitch Creek and I think this might be just enough to edge out the working class boys in what should be a great last quarter.

Sixers by 2

Topic #38516 | Report this topic

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The key to this game is defence.

The Sixers have to get out to the shooters but also help out DJ in the middles against AJ. Perimeter defence is not the Sixers strong point but it must improve now.

Feel sorry for DJ as he had a lone hand against Jawai now AJ. Or start Peach on AJ but then DJ will have to cover Oscar.

Randle Vs Lisch is worth the price of admission alone.

I expect Gibbo to contain Penney.

If we let the Hawks score mid 90's or above, expect a similar result to Wednesday's game.

Reply #565807 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Think Hawks win this one and can see it being one of those ones, where whenever Adelaide make a run, the Hawks pick a go to and hit a silencer 3. Adelaide have some real issues on defence and doubt its anything 2 days worth of ranting and raving can fix. Tis Hawks team is all about offense is the best defence mentality, so good luck. Creek in means less minutes for the lesser import, so that may help with defensive assignments, but I'm just not feeling the love for the 36ers at the moment. Oscar is due for a great shooting game back home too.

Reply #565811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 9

Reply #565813 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So far Adelaide and Illawarra been the best of the rest outside the big three. Adelaide are 1-4 against Perth, NZ and Melbourne and 4-2 against everyone else, the Hawks 1-4 and 3-1. Whoever wins tonight gets a little jump on fourth spot, especially if Cairns lose in Perth.

The 36ers are going to have get seriously disruptive to win this one, and they have to punish Illawarra's lack of rebounding. If this is a clean game I think the Hawks have too much firepower, but if it's physical and a little out of control I like Adelaide's chances.

Reply #565814 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Agree with Kobe24, I think Hawks will win with the Sixers current defensive woes. I hope it is a good game however.

I am a bit surprised by the odds. I would have hawks as slight favourites

Reply #565823 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. No defense will be played in this game.

Reply #565828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see 36ersplay both Hodgson and DJ together for times tonight.

Reply #565840 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ive been saying that for a while. Not sure why joey wont... seems logical to play with what amount of height we do have! Whilst still being able to score the ball. I reckon Dj is working too hard on defense and getting banged up down low, seems tired on offense more.

Reply #565848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me too re Hodgson, id start him C, DJ at PF

I say given we are only playing him 10 mins a game, who cares if he fouls out in 12 mins or something, which he may have had Joey put him back on v perth

Play him 5 mins+ per quarter no matter what, until he fouls out, if thats in 10 mins, go with it, its all we are using him anyway, and my bet is he will learn to deal with it and be able to stay out there longer.

Id love to see DJ given more minutes at PF to me its probably his better position with so many legit big guys coming back to the league this season

Reply #565849 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would start Hodgson as well however the reason they probably don't do it is because it will throw the balance out. For example tonight only DJ and Hodgson have a chance against Ogilvy. Petrie and Walker are too small.

Reply #565850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd take Petrie on Ogilvy ahead of Johnson any day.

Reply #565853 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Expecting a high scoring one this game. Toss up for me.

Reply #565855 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Totally agree with the Hodgson comments I'd like to see Joey say to him that he is starting and he wants him to shut AJ down, he wants him to bump into him every play and if he gets fouls who gives a shit, if he gets beaten once then oh well but I still some faith and confidence into the boy and watch him flourish.... I'm a massive fan of AJ but the difference between a good game and a bad one is miles apart and he doesn't do well with physicality so make him uncomfortable.

I think Hawks will absolutely thrash the 36ers tonight and Bevo will have them fired up after saying how useless a rebounding team they are so I expect that to Improve and I think the only way 36ers win tonight is by showing us something different like going to Waxy more or the Hodgson move to starter.

Is this going to be Agent 97's last game? Injury report suggest that Martin will be back in 1-2 weeks but would they risk rushing him back if they lose tonight ?

Reply #565856 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Gazey's an absolute ledge. Great calling already

Reply #565859 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

The defenses in this league overall, are pathetic.

Reply #565862 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

After 8 minutes, the 36ers are shooting 80%? HAHAHAHAH

Reply #565864 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

If the Hawks even try to play anything resembling defense, the refs punish them....

Thats what this league has come to...change the rules of basketball just to make it high scoring.

Reply #565865 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Has no one noticed that claratyne thing is exactly the same every game?

Reply #565868 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Hawks have 3 defensive rebounds in 1 qtr? HAHAH..

ONLY IN THE NBL....

Reply #565869 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Hard to get rebounds if we don't miss...

Reply #565870 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

The 36ers have missed 8 times and have got the ball back 4 times off O rebounds....is this high school baksetball?

Reply #565871 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Teys played well in the first half. He's why you guys have the lead hey Marcus

Reply #565872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks just need to give it to Ogilvy. Yet continue to shoot long distance shots lol. Funny to watch

Reply #565873 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

It is ok when we want them to get back in the game we bring on Ere .
Even Joey went off at him at that last play .

Reply #565874 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

People here talking about AJ being in the boomers team...he has 2 rebounds in 16 mins of basketball?

That is beyond atrocious.

Reply #565875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cody Ellis.... What is he doing

Reply #565876 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Does Gibson ever not complain to the ref? Seriously put a sock in it.. you fouled the guy.

Reply #565878 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

These footy commentators really need to be told to 1) learn referees' signals, and 2) look at the refs' call before making comment like 'Wright is livid at that call' or whatever Russell said.

Reply #565879 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Or the old 'rims out' call when the shot is an absolute brick.

Hawks have no interior outside of AJ.

Reply #565881 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

8 rebounds for DJ that quarter.

Reply #565882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please explain to me what happened to Larry Davidson!!!!

Reply #565884 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hawks would be nice if they didn't have Lisch or Penney (wow that's hard to say) and had a healthy Martin, giving them flexibility to get an Ibekwe type.

No disrespect to Penney or Lisch - theyre two of the better guards in the league - but the money they're on could better balance the roster.

I suppose they intended to get a lot more out of Davidson. Unfortunately, he appears all but done.

Reply #565885 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ouch. The Hawks are absolutely rubbish tonight.

Reply #565886 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

How come Sobey hasn't played many minutes tonight? Or have I just not noticed him.

Reply #565887 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Haha "for threee!"

*clunk*

"Ooh rims out"

Reply #565888 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Another unders game, another Sixers win. Coincidence? I think not

Reply #565889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad someone else noticed the massive sudden decline of Larry.

Wind back a couple of years he had his three at the top going at a great clip and was always pretty smart in the kick and pick or handoff situations the Hawks have run under both regimes.

Reply #565892 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I cant tell if the 36ers played well or the Hawks were just horrible. Pretty boring game never felt like it had any spark. Win is a win though!

Reply #565893 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

MACDUB I agree with your Gibson always complains to the referees comment. Even when it is an obvious foul he still complains.

Good win by the Sixers with them actually playing some defense at times.

What is up with Vaughan Mayberry trying to be a hero referee by reviewing a play where the Hawks players whom hit the ball out had already agreed it was off them... gees! I guess I shouldn't complain too much about that considering they were better tonight.

Randle had a good game BUT some stupid decisions in the fourth quarter! He needs to learn to play smart basketball in the fourth instead of just jacking up shots as soon as he brings it up. Ere had a big talk to him so hopefully he starts becoming a smarter player.

DJ actually had a good defensive game tonight! It is great to have Teys on the team he just brings so much balance to the team. Even though Gibson didn't have such a great shooting night he looked like he was actually motivated on defense for a change.

I don't think Davidson is done, I think it is a case of Ogilvy stealing his position and he has lost confidence as a result. He still has the ability to be a handy player but just hasn't found his place yet.

Some good coaching by Wright tonight by not playing so many players. The players that were on actually had the chance to get into the game but were able to stay on long enough to be effective. I hope to see more of that even if it means no time for Sobey.

Reply #565895 | Report this post

just ask me  
Years ago

He was reviewing the play to how many seconds were left on the 24sec clock as the operator

Reply #565898 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Guess the issue is with having the curtsied announcer away from all that its hard for the fans to be updated. I had no idea what was going on!

Reply #565899 | Report this post

36ersNayshun  
Years ago

It would appear that Larry Davidson has been lost in the Wilderness...and perhaps he still is!

Reply #565901 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Put a fork in him. Larry Davidson is cooked

Reply #565902 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Okay I was wrong about the Mayberry call then. I will send him an apology letter :)

Reply #565903 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Congrats to the team for bouncing back from last game and answering their critics.

They team will only improve from here.

Reply #565907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 thing hasn't changed...Ere still a bum.

Reply #565913 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

Reply #565914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing to Perth Is not exactly anything to be ashamed of especially considering the 6ers played really well in that game so the win tonight showed the 6ers are on the right track.

Carried over the Perth game to tonight.

Reply #565915 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Poor Ebi he is so bad now that when he makes consecutive shots in a quarter I look to but a lotto ticket. He was such an amazing player..... once.

Reply #565918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone confirm Forman was in the building last night, I havnt been following the Hawks but is he in the dog house or is it that he can't play with Penney or Lisch and have 3 guys that mainly live on the perimeter. Last couple of years he's been big for them, is it the case that the influx of talent has moved him down the totem pole or is he not in the current plans or did he just not have a match up.

Reply #565921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree on hodgson and dj on the 5/4 but joey also forgets we have carlin as well who can mix it up and be our new bj. thinking beverage has missed watching last seasons highlights with his lack of and poor use of davidson coenrad and foreman who were doing for hawks last year and took out some big games. even when coenrad hit the court last night he performed. lucky for us but such a shame to see great aussie talent warming the bench. would prefer coenrad over ebi for us next season !!!!

Reply #565923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coenrad a certainty for Bullets next year

Reply #565927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Gibbo

Reply #565936 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

After Randle had some terrible turnovers and was starting to get pressured by Hawks defence Joey called timeout near end of the game when deficit cut back under 10pts. An experienced, elderly import then had a few wise words of instruction into Randle's ear at the back of the huddle during timeout, and what do you know, when Randle went back out there a lot more composed and measured, he suddenly handled the Hawks pressure and he snuffed the game out. Not sure what it's worth, or how you measure it, but you don't get those words without experience.

Reply #565945 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Gibbo ain't going nowhere if Joey is in Adelaide.

Reply #565947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixtiesrockstar...do you know what Ebi said to Randle?

There is plenty of experience on the Adelaide team who could have had a word to Randle in Ebi's absence. How do you know Randle hadn't already composed himself before Ebi who may have just been reiterating stuff. Randle is pretty experienced in his own right.

I think people are just clutching at straws now and really scraping the barrel to try and find some worth in Ebi...this is just an example of how embarrassing it has gotten.

Reply #565950 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

anon it's a little 1%er that doesn't get measured in pts or rebounds, and probably goes unnoticed by a lot of people bagging the guy. Experienced ball carriers and go to guys in the Sixers team to give advice to Randle. Do you mean Sobey? Teys? Creek? Or our best guys we usually use to get through double team traps in Peach or DJ, or Walker who's new to this team. Of course Ebi is just reiterating stuff. Thats what experience is. Reiterating stuff you know about.

Reply #565959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can someone confirm Forman was in the building last night, I havnt been following the Hawks but is he in the dog house or is it that he can't play with Penney or Lisch and have 3 guys that mainly live on the perimeter."

Seemed like he was there in name only. Last season I started to notice a decline but certainly this season he's on the way down but to be fair he would be older than he looks. At one point they put up a graphic he's played something like 430 games, 5 seasons with the 36ers, 4 seasons with NZ and this is his 6th season with the Hawks.

So it's his 15th season still an achievement in it's own right to still be going around at that point.

Reply #565975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixtiesrockstar...you're still making a massive assumption as to what Ebi said. For all you know, he could have said - "wanna grab some Maccas after the game?".

Reply #566019 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

anon, yeah, he could have been talking about maccas or even hj's for all I know. It doesn't matter if he was just flapping his jaw. But with all of his experience he had the wisdom to have a chat to Randle at the back of the huddle and settle him back into his groove after he had just committed 2 stupid turnovers and been lucky not to be called for an offensive charge on Ogilvy. and you assumed that I assumed what he said.

Reply #566055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixtiesrockstar...assuming you are correct, even I could see that and say that to Randle. Getting that from Ebi is an expensive piece of advice!

Reply #566089 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can someone confirm Forman was in the building last night, I havnt been following the Hawks but is he in the dog house or is it that he can't play with Penney or Lisch and have 3 guys that mainly live on the perimeter.
Foul trouble limited minutes early on this occasion but not much of a game otherwise. Has three MVP-level players ahead of him which has changed things, but not getting many shots regardless. Was averaging 10-15 PPG earlier in the season with the same roster, so it's not just Penney, Lisch and Ogilvy on the roster.

Obviously I'm biased, but if I had a strong shooter on my team, I'd be working to get him looks and keep the opposition guessing about which head of the hydra was going to score that time down the floor.

Doubt it's age because he's had some moves that've looked quicker than past years. Just opportunities would be my guess.

Reply #566191 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think Jacob Holmes and Josh Jenkins calling the game for ABC radio works. Moments ranging from fine to excellent

Reply #566201 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Oscar Forman taking 1 3 point shot in a game as open as that one, is sacrileges! That team needs to get him going, and then he is either your best shooter or best decoy!

Reply #566222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754