RMQ
Years ago

Damian Martin injury replacement - Dexter K-Drew

http://basketballbeyondborders.com/Basketball_Beyond_Borders/Dexter_Kernich-Drew.html

Possible injury replacement for Damian Martin, was at Wildcats training this morning.

He's a 6'7 SG from Melbourne and played at Washington State Uni.

This is him as a freshman throwing down a 360 #24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4NuswZFgTs#t=92

Bit hard to find highlight videos of him online.

Topic #38533 | Report this topic

Pat  
Years ago

*thumbs up*

Reply #566337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

huh

Damo is supposed to be back Friday night

Reply #566338 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I heard on Sport FM they didnt want to rush Martin back in and he was still a little store. Dexter looks okay.... I say give him a go.

Reply #566340 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The best thing about playing Dexter now is it could be seen as a trial for next season.

No need to rush Damo back as well.

There's not much vision out of this kid so will have to see him live to get a feel. Hopefully he suits up on Friday.

Reply #566343 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

52% from 3pt in senior year not a bad stat. 32/62.

Reply #566347 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So basically this means Damo's recovery is not going to plan. Complications perhaps because they were pretty adamant he was back very soon.

Reply #566348 | Report this post

His recovery is going to plan and on track from the original estimate of 6-8 weeks. He wanted to get back early because he felt good, as every player does.

Reply #566349 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hmm hope so, was a bit surprised at the initial 6-8 weeks they said after seeing how bad it was. Wouldn't take much off a knock to reinjure it!

Reply #566353 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

He Joked on the radio that his smile had never looked so good. Freakin Expensive smile though!

Reply #566354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Brazil so not sure how that's gonna happen

Reply #566355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing avg in Brazil to add on the above

Reply #566356 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Can't they just add him to the DP list? no need to add him to the squad

Or do the Cats know that Damo is out the door anyway and will blood a replacement now

Reply #566361 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

nice little tip jam by Klay in the video above at 1 minute mark.

Reply #566364 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Damo out the door??? Oh please elaborate on that one

Reply #566365 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Rhys Martin to Brisbane and Damo to Hawks

Damo and Hire tried to exit this season but were persuaded to stay

Reply #566366 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Greg Hire the Mayor of Wanneroo to leave? fsssh.. mm.. no

as for Damian Martin I think at this point of his career he wont leave either. Hes the heart and soul of the club.

Reply #566369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is from NSW isnt he???

He has a coach he loves playing for now in NSW at the Hawks, he has played with Lisch before too, so i wouldnt be shocked if it did happen.

Reply #566370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No disrespect to Hire but if he wanted to leave I don't think he would be stopped.

Reply #566371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg's a huge part of their community profile. He's wanted and he's looked after pretty well.

Reply #566372 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Maybe Hire should invest bach into the Hair dressing community!

Reply #566374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI talking shit as usual

Reply #566383 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Good old Chalmers accidentally forgetting to use his name

Reply #566386 | Report this post

If I thought you were talking shit, I'd have no problem using my username to tell you. Maybe you have hard time dealing with more than one person not believing you.

Reply #566387 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

I tell you what, if that anon was you Isaac blocks your IP, if it wasn't he blocks mine

Either way your Wildcats are being raided at the end of the season

Reply #566388 | Report this post

Fine with me. Enjoy the holiday.

The Cats being raided is the rumour that goes around every off season. I'm yet to see it happen.

Reply #566389 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bevo back in the league makes it much more likely. I wouldn't be surprised if Martin and Knight, at least, headed to Illawarra.

Assuming Bevo stays in that job, and doesn't take the Boomers job, given that'll be vacant.

Reply #566392 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Chalmers you can have Ebe once Martin goes, like a gift from one club to another haha I heard he was headed there too, but was curious if anyone else had heard the same stuff. Could be an interesting off season!

Reply #566394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good old rumour mongering ladies

Reply #566395 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"Maybe Hire should invest bach into the Hair dressing community!"

Maybe if we focused on basketball rather than players' looks we'd be better off for it?

Reply #566397 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Depends where your rumours come from I guess. Interesting with the Bullets entering and many on 1 year deals at the Hawks...

Reply #566398 | Report this post

Like I said, I hear the same rumours every year. Even Redhage was linked to the Sixers one off season. I think people take a little bit too much delight in seeing the Wildcats torn apart.

Reply #566399 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No Marcus Camby, we would be better off if you retired from internet usage.

Reply #566400 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Guess we will see, Perth would be stupid to not throw a heap at Martin, he is the perfect on court off court type every team wants!

Reply #566401 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

The only team I could see Damo leaving too would be Illawarra with Bevo there.

Reckon Hire would stay though.

Reply #566402 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Hire is worth more to Perth than any other team and would only see Damo leaving cause of Bevo.

Reply #566403 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

when Martins contract was up last time around, I remember him stating that Perth was his home and how much he wanted to end his career here. He would of knocked back big offers from other clubs then so I'd be surprised if he didn't finish his NBL career with Perth. But you just never know these days, take Greenwood for example. At the end of the day a lot of Perth players are getting on and I doubt we will see all of Hire, Redhage, Knight, Martin and Wagstaff playing for the Sane Cats team come renewals of contracts.

But hey when and if it happens I have good faith in the club to know they will lure some serious new talent to the club and be successful still.

Reply #566404 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

What if Bevo and Lisch move back to Perth ;)
We will be needing a new naturalised import to take over from Redhage :P

Reply #566405 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Suppose Bevo comes back to Wildcats (He's on a 1yrs deal) & brings Lisch too.

Reply #566411 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Next offseason could be hectic. Jermaine Beal to Sydney?

Reply #566413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Suppose Bevo comes back to Wildcats (He's on a 1yrs deal) & brings Lisch too.'

I wish but Bevvo hates Marvin

Reply #566414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson knows he at the very least he has to reach the GF for his job to be safe. As for Damo leaving? not going to happen. He is the club Capitan and face of the team.

Reply #566418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As good as Lisch is, Beal is a better overall player.

Reply #566419 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Oh yes, laugh it up d___wads. "Everyone is leaving the Wildcats." This crap gets spouted so often you might as well have your website.

SO sure, everyone wants to leave their cushy, secure, high-paid roles in Perth for a team that may not even be here in any given season, and that cannot afford to match their salary. Makes sense.

These are the same morons who keep talking shit about Gleeson. Eventually they will be correct, he won't stay forever. Then they will crap on about how shit the new coach is and how everyone is leaving to follow Gleeson.

At the end of the day Damo is a professional sportsman. He'd weigh up his options like any other player. He and Brittany probably do plan to move home at some point, but like any professional sportsman he'd want to make the most of his opportunities whilst he can still play.

Plus the irony is that if and when the Cats do lose players, they can always afford to replace them with somebody better.

Reply #566423 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I saw him up close after the game, chatting away.
Its not like the bad old days when they wired your teeth together and let things mend.
Now its plates and pins.

He would feel fine and could easily return. The danger would be if he copped any sort of bump to the injured area. They'll have to rely on medical advice to know when it's safe.

Reply #566424 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

and yeah, I don't know why people are prattling on about DKD playing in Brazil. Maybe he WAS, but he's in Perth at the moment, and yes attended Wildcats training.
Whether he's viewed as a Damo replacement, or just a potential DP, I have no idea but he's here.

Reply #566425 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, Damo is on significantly less than he could earn elsewhere, not more.

Reply #566429 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Watching the Illawarra/Adelaide game I thought of Greg Hire and how much Illawarra need someone of his ilk i.e. Sacrifice scoring and just crash boards, they have an overrated marshmallow in Foremam who doesn't ever want to grab boards and that may be fine as he does have immense shooting talents but imagine if Illawarra had second and third possessions on their offenses then with their shooters they would be even deadlier.

I can imagine seeing Damo is Hawks red and black .

Reply #566432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the title is totally wrong.

Reply #566433 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

No it is totally correct.

DKD is a returning college player and too old to be a. DP.

Therefore he'd be signed as an injury replacement.

Him replacing damo is more about trialing him for next year. Not so much filling damos void.

Reply #566438 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

proud, think your over-inflating Hire's value somewhat.

He averages 3.7 rebounds a game. I know he doesn't play massive minutes, but still.

Hire can get boards because he can focus on that. That's his main role. No disrespect to Hire, but I'm sure a lot of guys could so similar things if that was their main focus too. Apples vs. Oranges type of debate.

Reply #566445 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Dear god I don't really care but for Dazz's little rant I hope Damo goes anywhere than stay in Perth now. And who uses the term dickwad anymore? Haha

Reply #566446 | Report this post

Come on Kobe, lets not pretend you didn't already want Damo to leave the Cats so you can hopefully watch them implode...

Reply #566448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you are not going to find a better local player then Dao. He is a difference maker or a match winner due to his defence and his playmaking is underrated.

The fact is if he wanted to go back to NSW he would have when the Kings offerd him a huge deal last season. He chose to stay. It is nothing more then wishfull thinking on the part of some.

Reply #566453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin will retire a wildcat end of discussion.
Looking forward to seeing what DKD can do

Reply #566455 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

The West Australian is reporting that Martin will miss this Friday but they are aiming for the return game 5 days later in NZ. No web link yet, just in print.

Reply #566466 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Chalmers simply hadn't thought about it. But the source I heard it from and the destination they said made me think it was a very interesting proposition. With guys like Dazz getting all crazy makes lean towards it being a funny thing. Not exactly going to implode just means his money goes towards someone else...

Reply #566469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wouldn't surprise me if Hire went to Illawarra. His dad is a die hard Hawks supporter

Reply #566489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same TWA article says DKD is here and *may* be signed as an IR.

Think it's crazy of Martin to be returning early from such an injury, even if you can understand the desire to get back out there as soon as possible.

Reply #566524 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I think the Wildcats can afford to wait for Damo to be fully fit.

Even in the Cairns interview he hinted his calf also to come under review, so even that is not fully fit.

With Kenny you lose a significant amount of D, and a lot of playmaking, but you gain a rather reliable (albeit reluctant) outside threat.

I think thats twice or thrice he has saved the Wildcats with very late threes, one against NZ, one against Cairns last week, and against the Sixers he had a couple of Q4 daggers.

Reply #566614 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's amazing how the rumour mongers can't even keep their rumours straight in their own heads.
So Perth is supposedly cheating the salary cap to Kingdom Come, yet we're paying all our star players less than everyone else???
So who's getting the money?

There will always be rumours of "massive offers" to move, and we will NEVER know the truth either way because its all just speculation, but at the end of the day you just have to look at the basic facts.
Cats have more money that anyone else, and to the extent they can they use it on players. It's believed Cats are stretching the Cap, and paying big Marquee money for Jawai. Whilst other clubs aren't even using the full cap, or a marquee player.
Cut and Slice that anyway you want, the end result is that Perth's star players will not on average be lured away for greener pastures.
There will always be bench players lured with the promise of a starting spot playing for a 2nd rate team, but that's not the same thing.

Reply #566628 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As for DKD, you're right he's too old to be a DP. Not because he's a returning college player (Wroe is also) but because the age limit is 24 (at the end of the season) and he's already 24.

Reply #566629 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, Damo himself said he got bigger-money offers elsewhere last time he was a free agent.

Reply #566634 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dexter Kernich-Drew
"has been training with the Wildcats for several weeks"
So what's his deal?
Are they looking at him as a possibility for next season?
Is he a SG or more a 2/3 type?
Apparently towards the end he was shooting 3's @ 43% for WSU.

I'm guessing he would be handy off the bench...

Reply #571406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope he's not getting paid.

Reply #571408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money can come in debatable fringe benefits like free accommodation owned by organisations or certain people. It can come by free use of items locations. If you have wealthy business owners then anything is possible.. Not like most of them are paying tax.. Salary packaging can also be claimed to reduce tax and all to need to do is claim as public benevolent by offering free community services and your in. Ways around income issues, big business do it everyday. Something the average Joe Blow can not achieve.

Reply #571413 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754