finals995
Years ago

Rio Test Event: January 2016

FIBA have announced a test event tournament scheduled for 15-17 January. This is a trial event for the Olympics venue in Rio as much as a warm-up tournament featuring hosts Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and Australia.

Presumably only Phillips would be added (if fit) to those Opal candidates currently playing in the WNBL. Not sure when the Chinese season ends.

How will Brendan handle the selections for this one? Does he take his strongest 12?

http://www.fiba.com/olympicswomen/2016/news/test-event-tune-ups-for-brazil-australia-argentina-and-venezuela

Topic #38538 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well considering he will include Burton regardless; the answer is no, he will not be taking his strongest 12.

Reply #566473 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

That would be the smart thing to do actually, not take his strongest line-up. It's expected that we won't be at full strength.

But on your point, Brendan's most recent remarks are encouraging : " Everyone will have a clean slate for selection", plus " There is no question, the team is not settled yet".

These are the Brendan quotes from Roy Ward's astonishing article, that we shouldn't feel embarrassed about. The first of them in effect says to Lizzie, come on back honey, you're back in favour (y'know we always loved you anyway)! And the second one allows him some room to look away from players he may previously have selected whilst announcing to many that their WNBL form and the seasons they have are going to be important to their selection chances.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-opals-coach-brendan-joyce-faces-tough-call-on-naturalised-stars-20151118-gl2n9i.html

Reply #566506 | Report this post

Joy Richardson  
Years ago

Penny Taylor is playing in WCBA until Christmas so she said, I then believe Maya comes in to Shanxi and you can only have 1 import. In an article many, many months ago, when in a rare moment the media and Joyce acknowledge their existence of their skipper Penny. It was said she has committed to a full program in 2016 for the Opals. So don't count out Penny going to this tournament.

I know it may be a long short, but hey, I just need to through it out there and get some Penny discussion happening. I was born in 1981 and from Melbourne and follow Dandenong and was a statistician for Nunawading Spectres for many years, who do you think I have followed in basketball. My opinion GOAT but will always get over shadowed by the LJ's & Lizzie's of the world.

Penny Taylor! That is all.

Reply #566544 | Report this post

Joy Richardson  
Years ago

Oh bother, sorry my fat fingers and damn auto correct. You get what I mean.

Reply #566546 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Penny being available is a massive plus, the best type of bonus there could be!

Reply #566571 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

@Finals995

Talk about manipulating someones words to fit your own agenda...

Good god.

Reply #569122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton averaging 7.5 points and 5.8 rebounds....
Have to take her!

Would prefer her ahead of..
Batkovic
George
Griffin
Penaluna
Bishop
Tomlinson

And ahead of the players not currently playing in the wnbl..
cambage
Tolo
Jackson

Reply #569140 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754