Anonymous
Years ago

Perth Arena game night entertainment a bit flat

Was a bit flat last night.

The audio for the starting 5s wasn't working properly. The timing was wrong.

No t-shirt cannons. Crappy game instead at 3QT. Half-time entertainment needs to be mixed up - what about some live music?

On the positive, it was good to see Aaron back as courtside announcer and I liked the band's performance last night. A bit more clear to hear and the escalating defense tune was good.

Topic #38560 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They also got to stop with the dreary rock tracks. They are great for easy listening in the car but not for a basketball game. Everything needs to be inclined towards the up-tempo side of things with music.

If you're going to play rock songs then I like the one that goes "Oi! Oi! Oi!" or the one they play at the start of the fourth.

Reply #567129 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I like the band. Seems to me like they don't make enough use of them.

Reply #567130 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The band is pointless. And costing $2000 a game, reportedly.

Honestly, the entire pre-game needs to be ripped up and redone. Don't turn the lights out during warmups, don't fill the entire middle third of the floor during warmups, there's really no point killing the lights and doing a cheerleader routine, hyping everyone up with a video and then...turning the lights back on and cointinuing the warmup.

And FFS, if we ever have a Haloween game again DON'T USE DRY ICE ON THE PLAYING SURFACE.

Reply #567137 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

The marching band playing pre game if it's supposed to get the crowd pumped up its doing the opposite.

Reply #567140 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, I have no idea what "cointinuing" means.

Reply #567146 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

It's the worst as it has ever been, no energy no excitement what's so ever!

Reply #567149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame because I've heard Australia's best basketball DJ's live in Perth they really should utilise them more

Reply #567155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah i like the band koberulz. But agree the pre game can be better

Reply #567158 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

you guys would love the Sixers routine...un-changed since '85..same playlist of moronic music chants..same unintelligible microphone..it's enough to drive fans back to their Foxtel box

Reply #567161 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Well considering the Wildcats put as much emphasis on the entertainment as they do winning games, I'm sure they closely review how the entertainment performs.

I think the game night entertainment is pretty good for what it is, but for the amount that the Cats have to charge us for tickets to pay for it all makes me think they need to up their game a bit more, or scale it back a bit and lower the prices.

I hope Nick Marvin is taking note the lower crowds they're getting. 10,300 - 11,000 is still by far an impressive feat, but that number is down from last season by around 1,500. With the team still right up there in contention, and the entertainment still good (in my opinion), the only thing I can pin point to crowd loss is the cost of tickets. Lower these by $10 across all sections and the value would be just about right.

And as far as risk losing money - Then they can always scale back some of the game night entertainment. I doubt it would 'lower' the experience of attending a game. It can be a little excessive sometimes.

Reply #567162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont reckon that they do closely review the performance because if they did it wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Watching the NBA the entertainment is simple but natural. In some timeouts they just play something that you can dance to and then show people on the big screen enjoying the music and/or having a dance (not even in an official "Dance Cam" capacity as the Wildcats have failed miserably to pull off on several occasions). It's always entertaining seeing yourself up on the big screen or seeing how others react.

The Dunk Team wasn't in action last night but perhaps fortunately so because they are unbelievably mediocre. Their performances are error riddled but I do note they appear to just be a bunch of young kids - my comment to the Cats is do it properly (i.e. get some people who actually can put on a show) or don't do it at all.

The clip with Jervis making Redhage guess famous landmarks was incredibly boring but I guess you hit some and you miss some - the "Cookie challenge" with Wagstaff in an earlier game went down well.

The game at 3 quarter time was rubbish with a guy throwing wildcats merchandise into a barrel/bin from a very short distance. Not particularly exciting, pleasing on the eye or difficult.

My final comment may be somewhat controversial, but does anyone miss the days when the cheerleaders were "babes"? Yes it might not be politically correct to say that type of thing these days but I have to be honest. Think about when you go into a bar, nightclub, or event and there are beautiful people around. There is a bit of a buzz around the place, it's just natural that humans get a bit excited by other beautiful people. The standard of the cheerleaders seems to be declining each year and whilst there are perhaps 1 or 2 who have cute faces, it is pretty barren. The girls aren't particularly pretty or in good shape either.

When I watch NBA games I note they have advertisements for their cheerleaders swimsuit calendars. This is what I think of when I think of cheerleaders. Perhaps the Cats weigh dancing credentials too heavily (not that the dancing is particularly good either, mind you) but from a fan's perspective I would happily take a babe with a great attitude and who is only average technically in dancing over what we have at the moment.

Reply #567168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a positive note, I did like how Aaron brought the mic to that "alleycat" guy to make the growling noises "its time, unleash it!" as a lead-in to standing up for the final moments.

Reply #567169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We chose not to renew season tickets for me and my boy due to cost. Your mileage may vary. But 60 bucks to watch all the games on a projector screen beat 600 bucks for silver class season tickets, as much as we enjoyed the live games.

Reply #567170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Anon, why not consider Bronze seats in that case? Still a decent view of the game.

Reply #567171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have NBA League Pass and watch the games, during the timeouts and breaks they no longer cut to commercials but instead give you a direct feed from the inside the stadium so you can see their entertainment during breaks. The Cats could easily just watch this for a few days to get some ideas.

Reply #567174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is all that new money in Perth drying up?

Reply #567179 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Haz - re ticket prices. The downturn in WA economy and marked increase in unemployment may be contributing as well. Probably have lost a few hundred per game due to that, regardless of prices.

Reply #567180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans are spoilt. Most other teams pre game involves nothing more than watching the teams warm up. Melb half time show will involve some lame cheap rapper or a throw the ball into the bin comp. boring

Reply #567185 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The DJ is horrible. Nobody wants to listen to Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift at at a basketball game. I much prefer Neil Barnard as the MC also.

Reply #567190 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

PeterJohn, I agree - the WA downturn has also had an effect. Confidence in WA is quite low at the moment and has been a factor in me not attending as many games as I would like.

Which makes it more baffling from the Wildcats who haven't exactly followed suit with the rest of WA and continue to spend big on things like having the need to constantly entertain (which doesn't please everyone), and is then passed onto the fans who have to pay up.

Still, I know Perth fans have it good here - I would take a Perth game over any other in the league even if it means not going to as many due to cost.

Reply #567229 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The Wildcats lost money last year when they were getting around 12k...

Now it seems its around the 11k mark.

So 14 homes games x additional 1k seats empty x average price of empty seats $40 (estimate) = 560k losses on top of the losses from last year.

Its not looking great.

Reply #567234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw jack bendat was still in the top ten richest in wa so we still have some bank roll you would imagine

Reply #567235 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

The prices for the general public are way over the top thats why crowds are down by 1000. Its over $70 to sit in silver no other stadium has such prices. I'm lucky as a member it is much more cost effective

Reply #567238 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth fans are spoilt. Most other teams pre game involves nothing more than watching the teams warm up
That would be a significant improvement.

Seriously, actually let the teams warm up.

Reply #567249 | Report this post

Downthecorridor  
Years ago

I made a specific thread regarding ticket prices earlier this season. Over 200 bucks for silver seats for a family of 4? If they made is say 120 I would consider it just for one game and I would easily spend 50 bucks on food and drinks. So Yeah nah stuff that I'll watch it on the Nbl app for 60 bucks thanks. Get real marvin the mining boom is over!

Reply #567252 | Report this post

Just because the mining boom is over, it doesn't mean the price the Cats pay to play at the Arena dropped immediately. That's a current issue in WA right now; jobs and wages are decreasing, cost of living isn't.

Reply #567264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only downfall of the Arena and one way to drop staff would have been to install the automatic ticket gates rather than having 2 people per door standing there with scanner not being able to scan because there hand is wobbling to much.

Reply #567285 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

There were a lot of empty member seats on Friday night V Breakers. My guess was this was due to the ACDC concert. Not bad effort to still pull 10K when a sell out Domain stadium for ACDC was on.

Theres also the issue go games being a lot closer together due to the condensed schedule. Families simply are going to struggle to attend game on a weekly or when there are two games in a week.

Nikel tickets allocations are always exhausted early on so I think they need to listen to the market and increase the Nikel allocations to accomodate.

One other thing they could do is sell 2 or 3 game packages at a heavily discounted prices (2 for 1 or buy2 get one 3 for example).

Reply #567287 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I just don't "get" the marching band.
For starters, the horn section doesn't play when marching in. It might look good on a Football arena, but in a stadium it just seems pointless.

The problem with a lot of the pre-game is that it is far too early. The Arena has comfortable lounges and so a lot of people are still having a pre-game beverage.

The Dunk team seems to have tried to move on to increasingly complicated routines, and they just didn't work, so now they have gone missing.

The half-court challenge is a joke. They need to either go back to the previous format. Or at least pre-vet the contestants so you get somebody with a chance.

Reply #567322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad comment about people getting in late. I know they schedule the game at 6:30pm to attract the "after work" crowd but what do you think about 6:45 or 7:00pm? I notice a lot of people arrive late because they had a drink or a bite to eat before the game. When the anthem and a lot of the pre-game theatrics are going on, the Arena is less than half full.

Reply #567325 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"I just don't "get" the marching band."

The same band gets used a lot better and a lot more at the Lynx games. Throughout the actual game I mean ... forget the intro thing. Not sure why the Cats don't make more use of them. Personally I like it. It's not like the fans would miss it if another 15 minutes or so of the same tired tunes that the DJ has been playing for 10 years now made way for some live music. Just my opinion ...

Reply #567357 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

They would've lost plenty of loyal ticket holders with the Fox deal for sure. If you were a member and can now watch games at home, you might scrap your membership and just go to the games that you prefer or that suit your schedule.

Reply #567362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I made a specific thread regarding ticket prices earlier this season. Over 200 bucks for silver seats for a family of 4? If they made is say 120 I would consider it just for one game and I would easily spend 50 bucks on food and drinks. So Yeah nah stuff that I'll watch it on the Nbl app for 60 bucks thanks. Get real marvin the mining boom is over!"

Was Challenge any different though?

I remember tickets being pretty expensive there too.

Reply #567364 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

As long as they do the blacked out Chicago Bulls / Sirius by Alan Parson project intros before they hit the floor, then we'll be sweet.

Reply #567446 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The Marching band isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But the players lack a bit of flair in my opinion.

Whoever said the point of the marching band being to pump up the crowd is correct - and its an area the band is failing at.

Crowds have also been significantly down which affects the overall experience of the arena being "dead".

I think if they played less music the crowd would naturally cheer louder.

Music selection and playlist is dictated by the Wildcats front office. Don't like it, complain directly to the Wildcats via email.

The dunk team - thye are better than last season, but they are gymnast that have never touched a bball before and it shows. That said, the Wildcats are at least trying something different here. How many other NBL clubs have a "dunk team".

The t-shirt guns need servicing. there about as reliable as NBL club shot clocks.

Our favorite game night entertainment spots are:
- Wilbur's free fall from the rafters. Getting a bit boring every game, but still cool

- Half court shots. It's always fun to talk trash about the people selected to shoot and place bets on who will be the best/worst.

Reply #567455 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

They need show these sorts of intro's on the telecasts as well before the teams step on the court. I'm sure some of the pregame commentary can make way for them.

Every team across the board needs to build up their team like they do in the NBA at their arenas, just not on that level yet.

Reply #567469 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Why is the national anthem set for 25 minutes before tip off?

The stadium is empty when it's on... aFL, rugby do it directly before bounce down/kick off and it builds the atmosphere more.

What tune are the band playing before the game, if it was say the Wildcats club song then that would be much better.

Agree with the players intros being way less epic than they should be.

Agree about the dancers not being hot and yeah of the what 26 they have 3 have any cuteness about them and their routines are a joke... Their attempted break dancing where the put a hand on the ground and moved around it makes me laugh... Seriously what is that,?

Reply #567518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always fun to talk trash about the people who think they are the best basketball DJs and then going around to different SBL stadiums placing bets on who is the best/worst.

Reply #567588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey don't you remember the Wildcats have been on more than one junket to see NBA game night entertainment first hand. And boy has it delivered.

Reply #567589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want laughs forget the shooting contest just wait to see who will show up on gameday trying to be african american when they're not. hahahahahahaaha

Reply #567593 | Report this post

Happy Customer  
Years ago

First game at the Arena last night, Have they always used Sirius at the intro's just before the game?

Wasn't loud enough to be honest and they should've made it dark before the music came on like they do when the players come on the court.

They used to do that well in the 90's at the PEC.

Reply #570435 | Report this post

Happy Customer  
Years ago

I should note tho, other than that, loved the rest... was a good night out..

Props to Wildcats and Beal!

Reply #570436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754