Jack Toft
Years ago

Reports of racial abuse on Jawai

Reports on Ninemsn about Jawai getting racially abused in Auckland on Wednesday's game.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2015/12/03/09/41/breakers-probe-perth-racial-abuse-claims

Comes off the back of a previous post about fans allegedly calling Jawai "Green Mile"

Topic #38592 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Would you consider 'Green Mile' racist?

Reply #568193 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

If someone is racially offended by it, then yes, it's racist.

While Green Mile is a movie that features a large black man with mystical powers and Tom Hanks with a urinary track infection, the term "Green Mile" could be referencing a number of things.

My understanding is "Green mile" refers to death row. Is the person calling Jawai a criminal? And is he being called a criminal because he is black? This could be seen as racist as in the US-where the term green mile orginates- The highest number of incarcerated people are "black" people.

My personal opinion is the world is overally too PC now, with all these social justice warriors and safe space fanatics, but that said - if someone finds something racist, then it's racist.

That said, if Hugh Greenwood ended up playing for the Wildcats, my friends and I (who are a bunch of mixed races) would have been calling him "Sunshine". After the star blonde californian quarterback in Remember the Titans. Would that have been racist?

Reply #568196 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

About to say, I haven't heard of "Green Mile" before, must be a US thing

Reply #568198 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would have thought they were saying he looks like the character in Green Mile, just as I've heard people refer to Alex Pledger as Lurch.

Reply #568199 | Report this post

The definition of racism isn't whether someone is offended by it. I don't see Green Mile as being racist at all - he just happens to look like a character from a movie. And no, that doesn't mean all black people look the same.

Reply #568201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats not really racist, I was thinking something much more direct and sinister. I guess it depends on the individual but thats kind of funny, when you consider his soft spoken tone and just massive body type. Gleason made it sound like it was 'N***a' this and that...

Reply #568202 | Report this post

"Gleason made it sound like it was 'N***a' this and that..."

No he didn't. He was very vague in his description.

Reply #568203 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

As we say in Western Australia...

"They're a different breed over there in New Zealand!"

Reply #568204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I await the input of LV.

Racism is Everywhere people

Reply #568205 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah but they live in the most liveable country in New Zealand.

Reply #568206 | Report this post

I don't actually believe that anything racist was said. I'm sure he was abused but I have no doubt Gleeson wanted to try and create a bigger issue than needed, as if getting the moral high ground is going to offset the loss.

Reply #568207 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

"I don't actually believe that anything racist was said." #ThingsWhitePeopleSay

Reply #568208 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats Statement

During the first half of Wednesday night's 21-point loss to the NZ Breakers, Perth Wildcats centre Nate Jawai was taunted whilst being subbed out of the game.

As this was an isolated incident limited to one person, Nate and the club have decided to move on and focus on Friday night’s home game against the Adelaide 36ers at Perth Arena.

A win will ensure the Wildcats retain second spot on the NBL ladder.

Reply #568211 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

""I don't actually believe that anything racist was said." #ThingsWhitePeopleSay"

You've lived a sheltered life if you think racism is a white person thing.

Reply #568212 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Here is the update on the Breakers' investigation I posted in the game thread.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/74685382/new-zealand-breakers-investigating-racial-abuse-claims-from-perth-wildcats

Reply #568213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If someone is racially offended by it, then yes, it's racist"

What rubbish.

Reply #568214 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Paul I have lived a sheltered life, with my complexion living constantly exposed to the sun wouldn't be fun.....

Reply #568215 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha! Especially not where you live!

Reply #568217 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Depends if you consider calling him Baby Shaq racist. He looks just as much like Michael Clarke Duncan as he does Shaquille O'Neal.

Reply #568219 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

#Gingerlifeproblems

Seriously though, if you're going to racially abuse someone perhaps an almost 7ft 143kg man isn't the best target........

I long for simpler days when morons just poured beer on players....

Reply #568220 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perhaps the Breakers can find a senile 83-year-old father of a valued employee to blame?

Reply #568221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If someone is racially offended by it, then yes, it's racist."

I am racially offended by black people.

Reply #568238 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

"Of Torres Strait Islander decent" The dude's Torres Strait Islander. I love it how people are defending what was said even though no one actually knows what was said. The 'Green Mile' post the other day alluded to Jawai being called it, while another black player was called "Monkey". Now is it possible they may have also referred to him in those terms or should we only worry about what was 'maybe' said to Jawai that wasn't as bad?

Reply #568250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Gleason def made it sound like it was a full on remark. That was my take Chalmers, I think you even agreed in a round about way when you said Gleason wanted to make it into something it wasnt to offset a crap Perth performance.

Reply #568255 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

is Joe the cameraman still around, he was a good scapegoat

Reply #568257 | Report this post

What? We're basically saying that saying one black guy looking like another black guy (as was suggested earlier in the week) isn't racist. Its got nothing to do with what may or may not have been said to Jawai last night.

Reply #568261 | Report this post

rusty  
Years ago

I was watching the Roast of Justin Bieber and someone compared Shaq with King Kong. Everyone just laughed, including Shaq. Perhaps because it was said by a black person. So I assume we'd have to find out whether the "Green mile" or whatever name calling was made by a black person, to ascertain the veracity of the racism accusation.

Reply #568262 | Report this post

^That was in response to Curtley.

Reply #568264 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think Chalmers' POV is not at all a comment about the NZ crowd or the incident itself, but more a general comment about Gleeson's nature - that he's the type to go over the top in the heat of the moment. That's something I would agree with.
Not to say that something nasty wasn't said to Nate, but there's also the possibility that it was something borderline or misinterpreted.

If the comment was seriously racist then I would expect the club to take a proper stand on it, as opposed to their pointless "statement" today, and I would also guess that the Breakers' own investigation - in which presumably they spoke with other people in the area who may have heard the taunts - would have found something.

It's all just speculation for now though.

Reply #568267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly rusty it's only racist if a white person says it... which is racism in itself. what a joke

Reply #568268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is known for blowing things out of proportion and I say that as a Perth fan.
Only Jawai and those in the crowd know what was allegedly said.

Reply #568270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying somebody looks like another individual is not racist, if the N word or monkey/ape etc is used then that is terribly racist.
Saying he looks like Shaq or "green mile" is no different to saying Knight looks like the sleazy cook from Two Broke Girls!

Reply #568272 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No shortage of drama in the NBL this season.

Sounds like it's been overblown, from Clarke's comments you would think they'd find some evidence (ie: A witness) by now if anything racist had been said. All will move on and will be forgotten shortly, I imagine.

Reply #568276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it's not racist to say someone looks like somone something what if someone does look like a monkey/ape?

Reply #568278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi Ere reminds me of Lunch Money Lewis.
Just physical resemblance LOL

Reply #568279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you ain't white it's open season but if you white you can't say anything anymore!

Themes just the rules although really in Australua it's the Kooris/Abiringnals who feel hard done by as everyone else came out if choice but as a mini USA we make everyone who's white racist.

Reply #568281 | Report this post

bats  
Years ago

Hi All, I always read the posts topics but really need to input into this as i was right there.
My season seats are in row B right behind the visitors so about 5metres away. i can hand on heart say i did not hear any racial comment, nor any comments specifically directed to Nate. I did hear a few comments to Wagstaff and Jervis but those were about fouls and dirty play. Be interesting to see if any audio or similar or any witnesses appear?

Reply #568287 | Report this post

What comments were directed at Jervis?

"Hey Tom, ya knob, you don't deserve to have four fouls because the refs just f***ed you over!!"

Reply #568299 | Report this post

BTW bats, thanks for your comment. I believe you when you say nothing racist was directed at Nate, although others have said there was definitely a bit of abuse given to him.

I think the Cats have moved on for a reason.

Reply #568302 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Really sad story. Just want to find the guy and give him a spray.

Sad that one guy lets the whole crowd done with that kind of behaviour.

Yes, in NZ, we are probably slightly backwards in our use of technology etc.

But we were the most socially advanced country in the world in 2014 and number 5 this year. We're certainly not backwards when it comes to social matters - very diverse, accepting and open arms country.

Therefore this is really disappointing and makes me angry. If racial, ban the guy for life

Reply #568312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Wildcats have backtracked and the Breakers investigation has found no evidence, so there's no need to get angry mate!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/74715732/nz-breakers-boss-says-club-vindicated-by-perth-backtrack-on-racial-abuse-claims

I'm also pleased the Breakers took a very mature approach to this, rather than lashing out with the type of sentiments used above to get the moral high ground, which is often the first reaction in an instance like this rather than finding out what happened.

Reply #568315 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melbourne is the most LVable city, for sure. (Please tell me no one's beaten me to that joke yet...)

Reply #568317 | Report this post

The real tragedy of this issue is that we were forced to read articles from Stuff.co.nz

Reply #568319 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"So it's not racist to say someone looks like somone something what if someone does look like a monkey/ape?"

EXACTLY!

The Adam Goodes thing springs to mind. Goodes with his hair and beard genuinely does/did look like an ape. It was such a beat up at the time and sadly it divided the community. If he shaved his beard and ceased looking like an ape....does it then become racist to call him an ape....or was it racist all along?

Reply #568320 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think you should compare a long-running racist smear of likening black people with apes because they are supposedly less evolved (even though I doubt the little girl was intending that) with comparing two people who look alike. They are two very different things.

Reply #568325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stay classy ROFLcopter

Reply #568334 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

From the article:

{Asked if the fan in question had gone over the line of decency, Clarke said: "Not at all. My understanding is the comments were along the lines of 'Get back in your seat or get back on the bus'. That is not abusive."}

Not hard to see that Nate could mishear that as "Get to your seat at the back of the bus"

Reply #568335 | Report this post

Why would anyone sledge anyone with "...get back on the bus"? Silencer's explanation makes much more sense.

Reply #568336 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Reports of Facial abuse on Jawai...

Reply #568337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROFLcopter exactly but due to PC BS it means you are evil for saying it.

Reply #568338 | Report this post

No, it means you are ignorant for saying it.

Reply #568343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spade is a spade. fk this pc virus infecting our lives

Reply #568346 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Presently illegal to racial abuse. Fed Govt keen to change that and make it legal to racial abuse

Reply #568351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unebelievable if it is a crime.

Reply #568352 | Report this post

You're really defending your right to use racial slurs to insult someone, instead of the complete opposite which is not using slurs? Best to err on the side of racism, I guess.

Reply #568353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

relax you pc drama queen

how about the authorities focus on real crime

Reply #568354 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, thankfully you're not embarrassing yourself associating wilful ignorance with an alias or name. Must be quite the burden suffering a minor restriction in order to not offend someone.

Reply #568388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub

We're u there. I was. Heard and saw nothing

A beat up. Goodness me. Jawai gets told to sit down. A taunt according to Perth on n there statement. Compare this to the constant barrage of of sheep jokes the breakers get.

Before u give anyone a spray suggest u get some facts. Otherwise u are just as bad as Gleeson, who should be reprimanded for bringing game into disrepute.

Reply #568396 | Report this post

Where did he get told to sit?

Reply #568406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should have called in security. They would have sorted it immediately.

Reply #568492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless he got told to sit at the back of the bench it probably was nothing

Reply #568493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green Mile is pretty funny, Blind Side and Precious are some others I've heard.
Its just resemblance, if you think its racist you're an sjw lefty that lives in Melbourne , the Australian capital of sjw progressive tolerant society.

Reply #568494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah but it's the most liveable capital of sjw progressive tolerant society.

Reply #568506 | Report this post

Jodiechrist  
Years ago

Wow this thread went downhill quickly. Poor white people, the true victims of racism.

Reply #568539 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the latest article about it.

However,The West Australian understands the Wildcats are adamant the term "monkey" was used. Perth asked for more security after the incident.

The Wildcats sought to distance themselves from the controversy early yesterday, holding off on any submission to the NBL.

But it is understood they could change their position after tonight's game against the Adelaide 36ers at Perth Arena.

Reply #568544 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754