Anonymous
Years ago

The Tim Donaghy Scandal

Tim Donaghy admitted to betting on games he officiated in and making calls to alter outcomes to satisfy bets made by others he made promises to.

He admitted to doing this for around 4 years.

Tim Donaghy was caught, ONLY BY CHANCE BY ANOTHER ORGANISATION (FBI) who were investigating a completely different case and just happened to stumble accross a phone call that implicated him.

David Stern then came out and said that no other referees are cheating.

My question is, how does he know? Its not as if his organisation caught Donaghy. This shows that the protocols the NBA has are simply not good enough to detect cheating amongst its ranks.

If it wasnt for that stroke of good luck, Donaghy would still have continued to cheat and supplement his income with the NBA having no clue.

Now, i am not going to make an allegation that NBL players and refs cheat, but the question is, what confidence and trust do you have that this doesnt happen in the NBL?

If the NBA which is a billion dollar industry with its large resources in compliance cannot catch a cheat, what confidence do you have in the NBL?

I AM NOT SAYING THIS OCCURS IN THE NBL..

The question is, what confidence and trust do you have, especially when the players and refs are not paid no where near as much as their counterparts OS.

AGAIN, in this thread, i am NOT ACCUSING ANYONE OF ANYTHING.
The question is confidence and trust.

Topic #38593 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, is this the blowout/foul/'NBL is shit' troll who made the allegations in the Croc v Taipans thread?

Reply #568222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Paul....why cant you answer my question?

Simple isnt it?

Reply #568225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sounds like you'll have a few questions to answer in a slightly more serious forum.

Reply #568226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting topic which should not be discredited. Many strange results coming out this season hmmm

Reply #568229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul? Who have i specifically named here?

Reply #568232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right now I have 0% trust also if you look at all the pro leagues accredited in Australia with bookmakers to stamp out insiders etc. NBL is the only one not amongst them. DODGY

Reply #568233 | Report this post

NBL refs are far too incompetent to organise a systematic betting/match-fixing rort.

Reply #568234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

players though? 20-2 start as if

Reply #568236 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Which game was there a 20-2 start?

Reply #568239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just rechecked even worse 25-2 actually

Reply #568241 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Which game?

Reply #568242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on your memory isn't that bad

Reply #568243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, the question is...how would the NBL know?

If the NBA with Billions of dollars of resources couldnt catch someone off there own bat who was cheating for years...how would the NBL know?

Reply #568246 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Do you want me to provide conclusive proof that NBL refs aren't cheating?

Reply #568248 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't see anything wrong with putting the question out there.

Reply #568251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, you cant, and i dont expect anyone to...

The question is of confidence and trust....

Thats all.

Reply #568252 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the question's been put out there by someone who has made allegations in a different thread and is trying to cover their tracks.

How do we know anyone in any position in society isn't corrupt? We don't. But you'd be surprised the access police have to people's betting accounts to track this sort of activity.

Reply #568258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think with NBL being a low profile league if say a group decide to mail in a performance there is barely any exposure in the media so there is no pressure or questions asked/getting called out on it.

Reply #568263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cover tracks? LOL

Do you know how many thousands of threads are out there accusing many sporting organisations of corruption?

So you want me to introduce you to YOUTUBE? Just type in NBA fixed and you will see hundreds....

Get off your high horse.

Reply #568265 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those links aren't really relevant once someone sues you.

I know of a case of a person in a lower-profile league than the NBL, who wasn't a player, coach or official, getting a phone call from police discussing their betting habits.

The gambling industry has enormous sway, and if there's a chance they're being swindled you can bet the cops are alerted to it.

Reply #568269 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ok so based on the initial post, I have a lot of trust that the refs and players aren't betting on or tanking specific games. Thats my opinion.

Reply #568271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul...how come Donaghy only got caught by chance?

Reply #568275 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm sure you can do some research on what happens in the USA, perhaps while you're researching your defence after being sued.

It's definitely possible some officials or players could be gambling, but given the example I gave earlier in Australia I think they'd be walking a very fine line.

Reply #568285 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

have we reached 'peak anon'?

Reply #568288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, how can i be sued? I havent mentioned any names?

Reply #568291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, no one could be sure. Same could be said of almost every situation.

Is it likely that there is a gambling problem involving NBL refs and players? I seriously doubt it. Is it more likely that there are upsets? That teams get on a run? Yes.

The NBA issue was in very small changes and in a huge market. To do the same in the NBL, you'd have to bet huge amounts of money and it would be noticed. I follow one person on Twitter who bets around $1m per day on the NBA. In this thread or the other, you can see someone who's observed that $500 is enough to move the odds in Australia.

Reply #568310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no but you are inferring the players in a 25-2 start game or the referees in that game of cheating or collusion or tanking. I'd say lawyer up if I was any of the above I would be seeking a legal opinion. also you are tainting all the match officials players and coaches in the league with speculation again you many not have named ONE but you have cast asperations against a slew of others. I would tread very warily if I was you unless you have proof put up or shut up.

Reply #568311 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Trolling away looking for responses. To start a game 25-2 you would have to have every player involved and coach. Crocs came out swinging that is all give them their cudos

Reply #568316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt mention anything about the 25-2 start here.

That was someone else...

Reply #568322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lawyer up? LOL

So all these people will be lawyering up?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nba+is+rigged

Reply #568323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know some of them haven't?

Reply #568326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has ANYONE been sued for claiming rigged on a web site?

LOL, Donaghy wrote a damn book and went on national TV saying the league is rigged and nothing happened to him...

Reply #568330 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's the point of this thread? To make it known that the world is not perfect?

Sure there is potential for match-fixing, but you can only go so far to limit the risk and just accept a risk exists.

If you can't accept risk, you can't accept life in general. I don't think corruption, cheating, match-fixing etc. is anywhere near the level it would need to be to ruin basketball anyway - look at cycling, it's still going despite almost being practically consumed in scandals for decades, and these scandals went to the very essence of the sport itself, performance.

Reply #568339 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Also, I don't genuinely believe the referees are determining the outcome of NBL games and I don't believe there's match-fixing going on.

I don't think refs would get away with placing bets of any reasonable amount worth fixing a game in such a small betting market.

Reply #568342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come to think of it there was a weird plunge on crocs at high odds last night hmmm hmm food for thought

Reply #568344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#568344 (and the rest of your posts)

Its clear you have been losing money betting against the Crocs recently, although the fact is their brand of small ball is tough to match up against. They are well coached and and shoot a lot of 3s. If they shoot well they will likely win.

As for the betting plunge. I wouldn't want facts to get in the way of your story although this link may help;

http://www.oddsportal.com/basketball/australia/nbl/townsville-cairns-dS1fzyAc/#home-away;1

Luxbet
Cairns Opening odds $1.52
Cairns Closing odds $1.47

Townsville Opening odds $2.55
Townsville Closing odds $2.70

Any weight of money on Townsville (especially from a winning customer or customers) would have seen Townsville shorten and start the game favourites or close to it, not drift from $2.55 to $2.70

Reply #568357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you fail to list odds movement in between tsv were $3+

Reply #568358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep betting and keep losing. It wouldn't be a billion dollar business without your types.

Reply #568513 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

How can we be sure?

That the OP isn't a deranged cross-dressing paedophile, a compulsive liar, kleptomaniac, and drug-dealer?

Well, we can't be sure, so I guess that means he must be?

Reply #568686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no point betting on nbl the pools are too shallow a dollar skews the odds, totally useless league

making decent coin on other sports though

Reply #568700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The golf last weekend was a betting paradise. Maybe thatey are all colluding too.

Reply #568709 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great thread.

Reply #568716 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

The real question is whether OP ever gets laid.

i AM NOT SAYING OP IS A VIRGIN

However i have no confidence nor trust he is not.

Reply #568955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jick you are thinking of koberulz

Reply #569404 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754