Anonymous
Years ago

Ogilvy should be NBL MVP

Laugh at people saying Goulding or Webster. Ogilvy is the mvp this season. No arguments there. Absolutely kills it every game. If any other player gets it the Nbl is a joke league

Topic #38599 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed ogilvy is mvp easily

Reply #568451 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Tonight he looked like MVP.

Does go quiet

Reply #568454 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If Ogilvy keeps this up he would be an extremely worthy winner. Absolutelt quality centre.

But i disagree that its as clear cut as you make it out to be. Laughing at people suggesting Webster is stupid considering he is averaging 24.9ppg on 46%FG, 40% 3 and 77% FT and his team has gone something like 7-1 since his return.

Not saying Webster is anymore above Ogilvy. Just pointing out that your overexaggeration is unwarranted.

Reply #568456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy or Webster

Reply #568457 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Actually wouldn't mind seeing AJ win even though I'm a Breakers fan.

Want him to go to Rio and that may finally get the attention of the Boomers (considering they've seemed to undervalue him for some time)

Reply #568458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@MACDUB With the voting system the way it is, in a tight year missing a few games will likely be the difference between winning and losing (same for Randle).

The other thing working against Webster is how good Ced is and how many votes he gets.

Reply #568460 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Webster or Ogilvy but its close...

Reply #568464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Using that logic Penney and lisch take votes away from Ogilvy then

Reply #568465 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So far Ogilvy, then Jackson.

Then daylight.

Lisch a chance despite missing 4 games, as are Randle and Webster who missed 3 and 4.

Holt and Goulding have dropped off the pace but still an outside chance if they have great second half of the season. Beal not out of it either. Penney is probably the Hawks third but still top 8 or 9 in the league.

Reply #568466 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not sure I buy the votes argument

To look at it another way, other than 1 or 2 good performances from Forman, Coenraad and weeks, pretty much no other Hawk will have got any votes this season.

Reply #568467 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

From memory, Penney has won 3-4 Fox Sports player of the games. Not sure how much that aligns with the voting system though.

Reply #568468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney and lisch will take votes away from Ogilvy although right now he is;

5th in Points
5th in Rebounds
4th in Blocks
1st in Steals
1st in PER

Hasn't missed a game.

There is still a decent amount left in the season and Webster, Randle or others (I think Jett will get a lot of votes the second half of the year) could catch up.

Reply #568469 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No one at Adelaide will be taking the votes away from Randle, he has led them in scoring every game I think since being here. DJ not even as explosive as previous seasons. I keep forgetting how they vote this MVP thing and if thats the case id be going Randle.

Reply #568470 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can talk about current favourites, but with the Perth error in voting, Beal or Knight would probably be travelling quite well about now.

Ogilvy was my pre-season bet. Knight was my bet after the Perth news got out.

Webster could be a decent chance.

Reply #568471 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What Perth news?

I've got Ogilvy on 18 votes, Webster 17, DJ 16, Beal 15.

Reply #568473 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Isaac you just pen Pandora's box!!!

Reply #568477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle, not enough players on the team taking votes away from him.

Reply #568486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's half way through the season lol

Reply #568495 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kobe, how are you calculating your votes?

Each coach gets 10 votes to allocate after each game, with a maximum of 5 going to one player. So 20 total available votes from each game. Unless the system has changed?

Reply #568514 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Weeks!

:)

Reply #568525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't kill it every game....was out played by DJ a couple of games ago.

Still...a worthy candidate at this point in the season.

Reply #568533 | Report this post

just ask me  
Years ago

The system for voting can cause abnormal allocation of votes. Each team has a total of 10 votes to disperse as they see fit, meaning if they wanted to be dicks about it they could lop side the votes for their own team like 8-2, therefore giving their players a leg up in the voting.
It should be you have 5 votes to give for each team, with a minimum of 2 votes given to either team, just to ensure some level of equality.

Reply #568541 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you should just vote on the other team.

Reply #568545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would rather a brownlow style voting system .
Ogilvy or Webster imo

Reply #568549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

koberulz, someone's dedicated voter had apparently been voting only for players from their own team. Took almost half the season before someone noticed.

Reply #568551 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Surely those votes should now be discounted?

Reply #568556 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They wont waived, Perth's main men will lose their shit. Pretty dumb to get that wrong. The voting system and who votes needs to be changed for mine.

Reply #568557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy vs baynes 1 on 1....
Who would win the battle?

Reply #568565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, from what I heard, they don't feel they can be changed. They're locked in.

I think someone posted on Hoops about commentators discussing it during one game, saying that Beal was leading the MVP race?

Knight was paying $51 for MVP when I heard. Figured he would have the respect of other coaches and Perth's record should put him in the picture at least.

Reply #568568 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They have to do something about it, maybe halve the votes, because if a Perth player wins it would be a sham, real bush league stuff!

Reply #568570 | Report this post

I don't see why they can't resubmit the votes. Have the coaching staff re-watch each game so far and revise who they voted for.

Reply #568571 | Report this post

They definitely need to fix it because as paul said, it would be shambolic if a Perth player won, and it would allow the simple people like Kobe24 to claim it is another Perth conspiracy.

Reply #568573 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"I think you should just vote on the other team."

Only if you want your list of league MVPs to be full of Brian Wethers types - guys who stand out due to having no decent teammates because their teams suck.
No thanks!

Reply #568576 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I don't believe in Perth conspiracy buddy. I just think they try to bully there way in the door on a lot of stuff. Could see Marvin thinking this would appear dumb on his coaches behalf and try sweep it under the table... Simple? Reverting to your childlike name calling. It's getting mate.

Reply #568586 | Report this post

Yes that is very simple.

Reply #568587 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

It's getting old... New phone predictive txt. Anyways stop being a dick is my point.

Reply #568589 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'd rather see an American style system where respected journalists (ok, you can stop laughing now), former players, coaches, industry experts (like us, start laughing again) sit down at the end of the season and nominate say their top 5 or 10 players then total them up.

That way if a player is a standout for 75% of games they'll still have a chance of winning, instead of someone playing well for 100% of games but never really dominating.

Reply #568590 | Report this post

You're the one who said that Perth's main men wont allow a recount. What are you basing that on? Your anti-Perth comments in almost every thread is what is getting old.

Reply #568591 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

It's my opinion though, Nick Marvin wouldn't like the look of his coaching staff not being able to fill out a simple MVP voting card. That's my opinion. And furthermore he would try and block all media attention to it. Why does that have to be anti Perth? Your just defensive over ever negative Perth comment like your defending your missus.

Reply #568599 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"Your just defensive over ever negative Perth comment like your defending your missus."

Truth

Reply #568601 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anyways he ain't worth the words typed. Randle for mvp of the Perth thing is sorted but that's more hope as a fan. If not between Ogilvy and Webster as best players in league and importance in their teams success.

Reply #568603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The MVP award lost credibility for me when Conklin won it playing on the worst team.
Let the media decide if the coaches cant.

Reply #568604 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah Clarke getting it over Ennis was damaging, but then Conklin winning last year took it a step even further into token award territory.

Reply #568606 | Report this post

"It's my opinion though, Nick Marvin wouldn't like the look of his coaching staff not being able to fill out a simple MVP voting card. That's my opinion. And furthermore he would try and block all media attention to it. "

So you conclude that instead of the flawed voting being fixed, Marvin will take a stand and say he wants the votes to count? Even though a Cats player winning via the mistake will raise more questions than fixing the error?

Your opinion is wrong.

Reply #568607 | Report this post

If anything, the NBL would be the one who isn't looking to fix the issue as it took them almost half the season to realise that someone had been making a mistake. They are the ones that can change it but aren't.

Reply #568609 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

It's Chalmers v The World today. You okay bud?

Reply #568612 | Report this post

All good thanks.

Reply #568613 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Seems nuts that the NBL didn't pick this up very early on in the piece. At the very latest, in round 3 when the Crocs beat the Cats here in Perth.
Very bush league :/

Reply #568615 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Haha good man

Reply #568616 | Report this post

"Seems nuts that the NBL didn't pick this up very early on in the piece. At the very latest, in round 3 when the Crocs beat the Cats here in Perth."

Its just my opinion but the league did pick it up but Nick Marvin overruled them and said the votes stand, so do the votes for the next five rounds which we will also do incorrectly. It will be less embarrassing this way. Thats just my opinion.

Reply #568617 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"If anything, the NBL would be the one who isn't looking to fix the issue as it took them almost half the season to realise that someone had been making a mistake. They are the ones that can change it but aren't."

The league will need to appease the other fan bases and owners so you would expect that something will need to be done about the Perth votes.

Reply #568618 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

There's no doubt whatsoever that's what happened. I reckon.

Reply #568619 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

My opinion may be dead wrong BUT what gives you the right to belittle anyone you don't agree with. Hence your dick, no one else mocks others like you do. So just calling you out on it

Reply #568625 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Yeah Clarke getting it over Ennis was damaging"

Maybe to those who judge basketball on dunks!

Reply #568626 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Personally I judge it on wins

Reply #568627 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha, but I couldn't find Ennis anywhere on the NBL ladder!

Reply #568633 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If you look at the scoring ladder you'll find him at #3. Rebounding #4. Steals #2.
Looks at the standings and you'll find his team #1 with a 21-7 record. You'll see Rotnei's with a losing record. 13-15.

Seriously though, I get that most people hate Perth and will never concede anything positive about them. But it's weird when others who claim to be less partisan can't see obvious things.
Anyway I said enough about that at the time. Can't be arsed going over it all again.

If the NBL wants their MVP award to be the "My Teammates Suck" award, then stick to the current system, or even better, go with Paul's well-considered suggestion.

Reply #568639 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe, how are you calculating your votes?

Each coach gets 10 votes to allocate after each game, with a maximum of 5 going to one player. So 20 total available votes from each game. Unless the system has changed?
I've just been doing 3-2-1 for each game. Far easier than trying to allocate 20 votes for every game.

koberulz, someone's dedicated voter had apparently been voting only for players from their own team. Took almost half the season before someone noticed.
Is there a rule that says you can't, though?

The MVP award lost credibility for me when Conklin won it playing on the worst team.
I don't remember Conklin playing for Wollongong.

Reply #568644 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Looks at the standings and you'll find his team #1 with a 21-7 record. You'll see Rotnei's with a losing record. 13-15. "

That would be a fair comparison if their two teams were spending the same money, but with the huge disparity between the two it's pointless.

Ennis was not obviously better than Clarke or Goulding that year, and from memory the three of them were very close in the voting.

BTW saying "I get that most people hate Perth" seems a little deluded and indicates your own bias more than anything else, hence why you think Ennis winning was "obvious".

Reply #568647 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I had Chris Goulding just ahead of Ennis and Clarke as MVP that year, but had no problem with whoever of that trio won it. Out of interest here was how various commentators called the 2013/14 MVP at the time:

Steve Chalmers (P&R): James Ennis
Dean Zardo (P&R): James Ennis
Liam Santamaria: Chris Goulding
Jenna O'Hea: Chris Goulding
Matt Smith: James Ennis
Roy Ward: Chris Goulding
Tommy Greer: Chris Goulding
ATF Fan Poll: Chris Goulding
Boti Nagy: Rotnei Clarke

Reply #568652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more proof that the system is crap if only 1 out of 8 agreed with the winner

Reply #568653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Ogilvy on the road?

This Hawks team is hilarious, unbelievable at home, yet TRAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH on the road.

Oh, who have the beat on the road? The Kings with no Childress and Harrington? LOL

And the Crocs? HAHAHAHAHA...

They got humiliated on the road against the Wildcats and 36ers.

Reply #568658 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What an honour, the blowout troll has graced us with his presence early today!

Reply #568659 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I thought he was blocked last night.... LOL he has weaselled his way back in LOL HAHA

Reply #568661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would i be blocked? Because i dont worship the NBL like you guys?

I call it as it is...

FACT 1...On most nights, you will not see a competitive game in the NBL.

FACT 2. The refereeing is absolutely comical ( i am still wondering why Prather got 2 FTs against the Wildcats when he didnt have the ball in his hands and they werent in the bonus)

FACT 3. Tim Dinaghy got caught cheating by luck by another organisation. I put the question as to how you can have trust and confidence this doesnt happen anywhere else?

FACT 4. Its an 8 team comp, yet it is rare to see a close game in this league.

These are FACTS...

Reply #568664 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I dont get it, if you dont like the NBL, thats cool, but why constantly come too a NBL orientated site and comment more than anyone about it. I dont like golf, and guess what Ive never once searched out a gold forum to express it constantly. Im quite amused by you actually! LOL at me for admitting that.

Reply #568665 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ooooh he was so close to the quadrella! Just forgot to mention that the NBL is a joke somewhere in his post!

Reply #568668 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Actually Fact 1 and 4 are very similar, both implying the games are not close. Im feeling ripped on that, I need another fact pronto!

Reply #568672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fact 2 seems dodgy considering prather plays for the wildcats

Reply #568676 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fact three is a bit dodgy too. Tim 'Dinaghy' isn't reffing any more AFAIK so probably won't get caught anywhere else.

Reply #568678 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is there a rule that says you can't, though?
I think it's been done in this way for a long time and by all teams. Nielsen just didn't know.

Reply #568681 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

How can he not be informed of this! I just dont get how that happens... and how it gets out at this stage of the season.

Reply #568683 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Blowout Troll instantly made this thread awesome.....
#NBLSUX4LYFE
#BLOWOUTTROLLJUSTNEEDSACUDDLE

Reply #568685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what will we all laugh at if clint dogg ever gets a job?

Reply #568687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't block the blowout troll.
Clowns like him, LV and Kobe24 provide comic relief when threads get boring.

Reply #568702 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Is this for real?

Perth were voting only for their own players?

Damn!

Reply #568708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are really into themselves so of course they were the ones voting for their own team, not surprised in the slightest.

Reply #568711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL MVP voting system/criteria/however they come up with the winner has been a joke going back to Brian Wethers.

Reply #568712 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The best system is the NBA's or something like it.

Choose 10 respected journalists, get them to do a 5,4,3,2,1 then tally up the votes and you have your winner. In a tie situation the guy with the most 5 pointers wins. If still even, go with the guy who got the most 4 pointers and so on . If still even then have a dual winner.

Reply #568714 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yay i got a special mention!

Reply #568720 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBA's system is fantastic at choosing the most popular player, the second-best player after the player who's won too many MVPs, the player who would make the best media story if he won MVP, the player who should've won it two years ago but we gave it to that media story guy so we have to give him one this year, and the player who has performed best late in the season so it's fresh in everyone's memory.

Reply #568724 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Nice, that means we can give the MVP to Ennis this year after he got robbed in 2014. The first retrospective MVP of it's kind.

Reply #568726 | Report this post

Troll_hater  
Years ago

Hey blowout troll, go drink some wet cement

Reply #568783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754