Dazz
Years ago

How much longer can Redhage play on?

He has been a great player for the Cats. My favourite of the modern era, and one of the all-time greats.

With his loyalty bonus, and assuming his base points continue to drop, he represents fantastic value, and with Knight now starting at PF we finally have the option of using him off the bench.

However he's going to be 35 next month. I just wonder how much longer he can keep on playing?

Topic #38616 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

1 more year, then the spot needs to be utilised for an up and comer. 2 if there is no one worthy of development available i reckon.

Reply #569086 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

i think this year would be his last. I'm liking that his impact off the bench this year :)

Reply #569089 | Report this post

he has the form to play at least 1 more yr

Reply #569090 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

He can play as long as the refs allow him to milk them for easy points.

Although all that flopping must mean more chance of back or backside injuries, I suppose.

Reply #569095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect some dickhead to make flopping references.
1 more year max imo though i would go after a rookie as Redhage and Wagstaff will both be over 30 next season and the cats need youth on the bench

Reply #569101 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

1 more if the Cats don't win the championship, if they do I think he'll go out on a high and take a coaching position. Anyone else think his number will be retired? great clubman and MVP

Reply #569115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably has one more year left in him.

Reply #569120 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Can someone that was at the game last night say what happened with the Petrie incident? I imagine Petrie was setting a screen and Redhage wasn't watching and made the most of it

Reply #569129 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I honestly didn't see it. I was watching the action and the first thing I noticed was Redhage on his back.
Even the first replay showed only caught a bit of it in the corner of the screen. I think they may have shown it from a different camera, but at that point I was nolonger watching the replay.

For some reason, there was a LOT of niggle in last night's game. Players on both sides were getting upset, mouthing off, and being a bit rougher than necessary.

To be fair, and this is purely supposition, I think the ref must have had a good look at what happened to call a flagrant.

back on topic, I do wonder what the future holds for Redhage and the Cats.
For a while it was supposed that Wagstaff would step up to a starting role, but he has stagnated and if anything tapered off. As mentioned above, he'll be 30 next year, so I don't see a lot of scope for further improvement. Knight will be 31, so they really need some young blood, and at the moment I just don't see it coming from within. Hire has looked promising, but has come on slower than hoped. I don't see him being starting material in the near future.
I guess the easy thing about the NBL is that you can just dump your players and buy new ones, but the number of guys available each year is small.

Part of the emerging hole is because the Cats have previously had a strong record of getting players naturalised. (In the past they've had up to 3, although Redhage was the only one in some time.)
I think that was the long-term plan for Lisch, but he left and has now gone to the Hawks.

On the one hand, with his base points dropping and loyalty bonus, Redhage represents fantastic value going forward. In a year or two he could easily be costing only 2 points.
On the other hand, something has to give. Too many players getting old, too many competing for the same 1 or 2 bench spots.

As for retiring his number, yes absolutely.

Reply #569139 | Report this post

WNBL fan  
Years ago

He will stay as long as his legs hold up.

Reply #569143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He certainly deserves to have his number retired.

Reply #569145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excluding Prather the youngest Wildcats are Hire and Jervis at 28 so definitely need some youth next year.
If only Greenwood stayed oh well.

Reply #569147 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Off the bench as a role player I think he can play on for another 2-3 seasons. Be a handy 10-15 min player off the bench. Should be good for 5-10pts , 2-3 reb and - flop here and there :P been a great player for Perth over the last 10 years or so. Club legend !!!

Reply #569154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petrie is thuggish on the court and if Redhage is involved who know what the truth will be.

Reply #569158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage will be looking forward to sitting down, he's prepared for it all his career

Reply #569166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the serious medical issues he had in Adel, his time must be up to be done now. If he want to be able to walk in older age and with that same serious surgery he had a few years ago and the continual flopping that probably caused those injuries. PLease retire soon. Great player for sure, but think about walking in the future. PLease.

Reply #569182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is actually playing ok this season when given minutes. I think the Cats are playing him in a manner to save him for the playoffs.

btw, he still has another year in him.

Reply #569207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is hands down the most boring player in the league personality wise.

Reply #569384 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It depends what happens with the rest of the team.

Will Knight and/or Martin are lured back to NSW by Bevo?

Reply #569613 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I wonder what will happen next season?
I struggle to see Redhage, Wagstaff, and Hire all continuing long-term...
Despite his indifferent form, I still them wanting to continue to develop Hire as bench 3/4. Wagstaff I could see playing out his days in his current role.
Would they nudge Redhage towards retirement? If he he was only going to play one more season, I could see them trying to persist with the status quo...
But if he was going to continue to play on, then I could see one of Wagstaff or Hire perhaps wanting to move on.
Depends what happens up front with Jawai and Knight, on what other prospects there may be, and on what offers there might be for players.
Is Wagstaff good enough to get a starting gig elsewhere? Would Hire be offered more minutes?

Interesting to see what happens...

Reply #571407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is actually playing really well. The shorter minutes is helping him play well.

Reply #571454 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I thought he stepped up well in these last couple of games. Ironically perhaps more so in their loss in game 2.

I would not be at all surprised to see him retire with his 3rd ring.
But I also would not be surprised to see him play on. ;-)
Interesting to see what happens with the mooted rule changes.

Reply #582015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best time to leave on top and still being able to be remembered as a contributor instead of someone making up the numbers.

Reply #582016 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754