Dave
Years ago

Homicide as a commentator

Just wondering if I'm the only one that cant stand listening to homicide commentate?

Topic #38626 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He's about as good as Melbourne's court announcer.

Reply #569302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's blatantly biased towards Melbourne but the Melbourne courtside announcer is just absolute trash

Reply #569314 | Report this post

Jo  
Years ago

Can't stand him.

Reply #569331 | Report this post

Stu  
Years ago

Just about ready to throw the tv through the window. An embarrassment for the league

Reply #569332 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Please get rid of him.

Reply #569333 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Terrible

Reply #569334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His show is all about him.
"I told you." "If he scores again I will..." "I have named him...". That interview which was one question: "Did you get all your great moves off me?"

And for some viewers, swearing and long loud "Oh my God" will be offputting.

He's a close second behind Cairns' precorded, nonstop, "D-FENCE" in stopping me watching a game.

Reply #569335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

corey is great.
love him or hate him, you can't not love him

Reply #569336 | Report this post

Stu  
Years ago

"love him or hate him, you can't not love him"

Uh no

Reply #569338 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"love him or hate him, you can't not love him"

wut?

He's terrible.

Reply #569340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should be there as a colour commentator, not part of the main 2

Reply #569343 | Report this post

Deez  
Years ago

He's an idiot..I am mortified every time he opens his mouth and sounds like an uneducated fool. Sets black people back 50 years. And Fox it happy to parade this village clown as if he's a fool entertaining the queen. As a black man I'm embarrassed

Reply #569345 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Ok... glad it's not just me.

Reply #569346 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

His commentating is embarrassing to listen to. It shows how desperate Foxtel was to get a 'personality' to attract those who wanted entertainment. He certainly won't do much for true fans.

And what's with always interviewing Goulding most of the time? Sounds like a bit of bromance to me.

Reply #569348 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

CG43! is on repeat!
He is in love with the guy and wouldn't be surprised if Gouldings 'flopped' it out for Homicide to take! #manlove :-P

Reply #569354 | Report this post

Huh  
Years ago

What's with the homophobe shit?
Butt hurt the stinky 6ers got rolled again?

Reply #569355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've turned off the last two game by quarter time when he's commentated. Agree about United's court side announcer too, same material since Gaze and Bradtke were in their prime.

Reply #569363 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Melbourne's court announcer is no where near as annoying as the Cairns announcer. His defense chants are bad enough but especially awful because of his terrible voice.

Reply #569368 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

He was commentating a game at Perth Arena recently and despite being told not to call Jawai 'Outback Shaq' still went on to tall him that over 12 times during the game. I just dislike him as a Commentator.

Reply #569370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If I could mute Homicide's commentary and still watch the game with sound, I would. Since I can't, I often just watch the game without sound.

Not a fan of his commentary at all. It's predictable and lacks insight, but most importantly it's really irritating.

Reply #569371 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

..... and factually inaccurate. Jerome Randle did not play for UCLA. He played for the University of California. Like fingernails down a blackboard. Is there a chance Foxtel will give us a Viewers' Choice selection of commentators? Homicide and whoever on one channel, and a mix of James Earl Jones, Pauline Hanson and Mike Tyson on the other channel calling the basketball. Fairly easy choice from where I sit.

Reply #569373 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Yes, Randle went to the Berkeley campus of the University of California, not the LA campus.

Reply #569376 | Report this post

Ruzz  
Years ago

Don't be eating your dinner while Homicide is commenting. How many times does He have to mention "CG 43" before He realises that no one is listening and no one cares.

There are some very good announcers at most of the games but Homicide is the bottom of the barrel!

Reply #569379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is awful and embarrassing. Fox Sports what were you smoking when you appointed this idiot.

Reply #569380 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I am not a Fan of Williams and was astounded when he actually pointed out that the number of times Adelaide switch on defence when not necessary and end up with a mismatch which results in an easy score. Other than that .....

Reply #569388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha Ushiro I was amazed when he pointed that out too. but then he went back to his usual garbage.

Reply #569390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just depends what you are after. Homicide calls the game like he is with a few mates in the crowd of a game or watching at home on the TV. With the 'I told you!' And what not. It can be entertaining to the casual fan but perhaps the more hardcore, analytical types that frequent websites such as this is not as suitable

Reply #569399 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I would take Carfino over Corey in a heartbeat, and Carfino in the last few years was an embarrassment.

Reply #569406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne Russel is pretty lame also,
sounds like a dad trying to be cool for the 1000th time but you know he'll just never 'get it'

And a nickname Homicide ..geeez

family fun with your commentator Homicide..

they just need Pedo, Rapist, and Hamburgular (stealing all the fur burgers)

Reply #569408 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

I am glad that FOX saw the opportunity and saw the standing Homicide had and gave him a try. However, the experiment failed. It turns out he can't commentate. I have lost respect for him on every level since having to hear his idiotic opinion for this long, and it is time that they move him on. He might have a place doing what Dan Ewing does, but even Dan Ewing could be a better commentator than homicide!

It is time to move on. I thought he would be good but he sucks. Just kill it now!

Reply #569414 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

And as bad as homicide is, it is just as bad having Dwayne Russell verbally lick his anus hole and act like homicide is this massive star. He is not. He was a novelty that wore thin very, very quickly.

Reply #569419 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

His commentary makes me cringe. I think he is embarrassing not only himself but the NBL and Fox also. He would be decent taking a similar role as Dan Ewing.

Reply #569438 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Don't hate love Corey

Reply #569466 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

The only thing Homicide has over CJ as a commentator is a willingness to talk

Reply #569467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please don't ever raise the suggestion of Dan Ewing being an actual game commentator again. It's bad enough even with him doing that sideline gig and his movement when he does the interviews.

Reply #569469 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Most things are ok in moderation, but Fox Sports seems to have 'settled' on him and Dwayne Russell almost exclusively for some reason. Listening to Homicide (and Russell) wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't every round/game and was balanced against other commentators who provide more sensible, tactical analysis.

Reply #569472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Robbins seemed to do a fine courtside job watching the Perth game

Reply #569473 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think Russell's that bad, but he's definitely the worse of the two Russells.

Warren Smith and Anthony Hudson are doing pretty poorly, too. Hudson/Williams was always going to be a complete disaster.

Matt Russell and Derek Rucker should be the A team, with Dwayne Russell and Andrew Voss filling in the PBP gaps and Heal on colour. Really not sure who to put in the third colour slot: Harvey and Robbins are both okay, but not great, and neither stands above the other. Lemanis does okay as a third man, but not as part of a two-man booth.

Warren Smith, Anthony Hudson, Corey Williams, CJ Bruton and whoever replaced Andrew Mulligan earlier this season in New Zealand need to go away.

I've omitted Gaze, as his radio work apparently precludes regular appearances, and Rosen, who's completely vanished from Fox and popped up on Channel Nine, so I'm not sure he's part of the crew anymore.

Reply #569476 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think Russell's that bad, but he's definitely the worse of the two Russells.
Don't post while tired.

To rephrase: I don't think Dwayne Russell's that bad, but he's definitely the worse of the two Russells.

Reply #569477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His content is awful and an embarrassment. I actually prefer sports commentators not ex players calling a game. There is an art to it and you need to be a natural not just a player. Its really quite embarrassing and does nothing to draw people in to learn about the game and become fans. yuk !

Reply #569478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

each to their own, I actually didn't mind homicide, and all the kids at my club love him too! Maybe it'd just to the basketball purist, he seems a little left of centre, but the kids seem entertained by him!

Reply #569485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most things are hard to be good at without any practice or coaching.

Corey hasn't had any of those things, and it seems like a guy who may not take to coaching either.

I appreciate Tommy Greer's work and insight, although you can tell he has done the reps through starting a podcast and talking into a mic and doing interviews weekly for a number of years now.

Rucker seems to approach his role like a coach and you can tell he has spent time coaching players, knowing when to switch to a zone or who to exploit in the pick n roll, and other detailed elements of the game.

Fox were quick to cut CJ from the rotation, Corey may have some use, although its not in a 2 man booth.

Perhaps a halftime show (our Barkley), or on the weekly highlight show, or just the quarter/half time and celeb interviews. He is much better in small doses, rather then 2 hours of swagger and instagram talk.

Reply #569499 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Whatever the case you can't have Homicide with Anthony Hudson. Huddo is ok as a fill in, but he's not up to it as a basketball caller, and you need someone with a real presence alongside Williams or it just becomes amateur hour.

I quite enjoy Williams with Dwayne Russell once a week, maybe twice, because it provides a point of difference and great enthusiasm.

Reply #569502 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Why don't Fox give Matty McQuade a regular gig. I enjoyed his commentary during the blitz.

Reply #569507 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

On the plus side, PIVA was a no-show at Cairns this week so the D-FENSE chant was not as prominant. The fill in (or replacement??) guy I thought was better, he was happy to sit in the background and only get the crowd going when they needed to.

Though it was a bit awkward at the start of the game when he was trying to get everyone to stand up and shout until a point was scored. I understand some teams do this but not being part of current Taipans culture it didn't really work out, especially as half the crowd is over 40 or overweight and need to sit down.

Reply #569509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is just awful. Love Huddo as a footy commentator but he lacks the ability to follow the game properly. Although, I did like how he tried to prompt Homicide to "elaborate" on his too much switching by Adelaide comment. This proved to be the only insightful moment of the broadcast.

And if the court announcer could stop yelling jibberish at everyone just to avoid a moment's silence, that'd be great...

Reply #569518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he's hilarious.
I love how he gives it to the players if they aren't performing like the 80 million dollar man at the Kings.

Reply #569535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your all ridiculous the NBL is finally beginning to be fun and entertaining but you all still find away to bitch Corey is bringing energy to the new commentators still learning the game other than chance bruton who wasn't made to commentate fox sports have done a great job if it affects u all that much mute it, I'm sure everyone still listens and doesn't make a fuss about it when it is on you all just wanted a forum topic ... F$&@ing bunch of no hope glass bagers these forums should be to talk ball no commentary

Reply #569555 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Totally agree, people just love to whinge for the sake of whinging.

Homicide is a hype man. Doesn't provide great insight but I reckon he could if he was in the right setting. Get him in a three-man commentary team with Tommy Greer as the main colour guy, and I'd say they'd feed off each other and spit some insightful stuff. Homicide seems like the guy who needs to be prompted and he has nothing to work on with guys with little knowledge the likes of Huddo and the two Russells

Reply #569558 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

^ Having that situation would give less air time to the play-by-play guys, which is a good thing because they invariably say stupid shit when trying to fill a silence

Reply #569561 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

It's not just whinging for the sake of it. When you really can't hear more incessant dribbling from someone, and it causes you to turn the sound off it is a problem for the NBL.

If the NBL addressed all of the things which cause the 'whinging' they would be in better shape.

It is actually done for the good of the league.

Homicide may have a place doing sideline interviews or half time shows, but he is absolutely dreadful as a lead commentator. He sounds like a massive wanker.

Reply #569562 | Report this post

marKus Kamby  
Years ago

Homicide should take up WWE commentary where talking shit is encouraged.
He will surely hurt ratings won't he.

Reply #569568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The suggestion of Matt McQ is a good one. The guy knows his hoops better than anyone and has plenty of enthusiasm coupled with professionalism.

As for Homicide, I agree that he started out kinda entertaining, but has regressed into a predictable, repetitious and unimaginative brand of drivel. It's a shame, because if he put some work into it, he could be good.

Reply #569596 | Report this post

Warren Smith is outstanding koberulz. His commentary during the incident where Thornton had beer on him for universal acclaim and from US media too.

Reply #569628 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With sentence structure like that, I'm not surprised you're a fan.

Reply #569644 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell and Rucker are my favourite duo, Robbo and Papps in Perth do a solid job, Warren Smith and Matt Russell are ok doing play-by-play, Hammer is good in special comments, and I enjoy Williams in moderation, perhaps only once a week.

I do like someone else's suggestion of Greer and Williams together in a three-man crew.

Reply #569658 | Report this post

Yeh Nah  
Years ago

They should just keep him for novelty half time chit chat, I still think any personality is better than the cardboard that's generally sitting behind the MIC. I loved BT!

Reply #569659 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

He's no Marv Albert but I don't mind him

Reply #569679 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Thanks, Yeh Nah - you just reminded me of a worse commentator than Homicide.

BT was the absolute biggest f-wit ever!!

Reply #569680 | Report this post

Yeh Nah  
Years ago

let me guess.. you're 75 years old? You probably hate the Adelaide Oval redevelopment.. BT has personality.. I'm sure the guys commentating the game are nice people off of the court, but I watch sport for entertainment. If someone is putting me to sleep it is not entertainment..

Reply #569724 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

When it comes to entertainment and enthusiasm, saying the same thing over and over again puts me to sleep moreso than an educated, insightful opinion that gives depth and context to what you're seeing on the screen.

Homicide is a dancing clown. Yes, Carfino is much much better any day of the week.

Reply #569725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Papps is extremely under-rated.

Reply #569728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FOX should bring Marv, Breen and Hubie Brown out here to educate the locals. Hubie will need to stay for ten years.
BT is good, in my opinion. Entertaining and has knowledge of the game having played state as a kid.

Reply #569729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide has worked his way into the Foxtel boys club to get the gig and has some how fooled the big wigs into thinking he is some high profile celebrity that is great for TV.

He is atrocious as a commentator and even worst at providing viewers and insight into basketball from a education point of view.

I press mute ever time he is on!

Reply #569819 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

My.. Marv will be a god-send.. "YES!, a spectacular move by Casey Prather!!"

Reply #569821 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

He is our Dick Vitale, come'on man!

Reply #569914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754