Taylor for Madgen
Cambage for Batkovic
O'Hea for Ebzery
Hodges for Burton (unlikely)

No Griffin? Has Joyce decided on taking Mitchell as the 1 naturalised player

Reply #569762 | Report this post

Solomun Tulum mix  
Years ago

I think the Brazillian women will be right up there. Home country always seems to raise that much more. Also the brazillian women always are good.

Reply #569764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*meant Ins for the actual Olympic Games

Reply #569765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think only Liz and P Taylor would come in.

Looks like a strong team although the wnbl form of Allen, Jarry and Talbot must be of some concern.

Reply #569766 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My God! How is Burton still in there?? That's crazy.
I am glad to see Abby Bishop back in the squad though

Reply #569773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton is a lock as a starter. Joyce will want to cement his status as someone who can develop players and will be out to prove it with Lavey and Burton.

Reply #569775 | Report this post

Solomun Tulum mix  
Years ago

so is LJ out of the mix ?

Reply #569778 | Report this post

Solomun Tulum mix  
Years ago

and Tolo ?

Reply #569779 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not sure how much more arse Penaluna needs to kick to get a look in.
16.6 points & 8.6 boards per game not enough, evidently.

LJ & Tolo can't play atm so I'm not sure what those questions are about.
This is the squad for 3 friendlies in January.

Reply #569780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton getting to the line for 13 ft attempts in 12 games is quite impressive, as is the 0.5 assists a game.

If you're looking for defense, she has 6 blocks on the season compared to 30 for Louella.

At almost 27 years of age I'm expecting a lot of development between now and Rio and also over the next few years.

Reply #569795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: Opals squad for Rio Test Event
Burton getting to the line for 13 ft attempts in 12 games is quite impressive, as is the 0.5 assists a game.

If you're looking for defense, she has 6 blocks on the season compared to 30 for Louella.

At almost 27 years of age I'm expecting a lot of development between now and Rio and also over the next few years.

well that explains it all then RFLMAO

Reply #569806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, pretty crazy that burton is still in the squad.
At least 8 women ahead of her in that position.

Im hoping for a front court of griffin, Francis, tolo, cambage, jackson.
If no jackson or griffin... Then Batkovic and penaluna. If no Batkovic or penaluna, Then move Francis to centre and add bishop to PF.

Absolutely no room for burton!

Other players...
Phillips
Mitchell
1 of lavey, madgen or ebzery
Taylor
Allen
Talbot
1 of jarry or ohea

Reply #569816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

burton and lavey already have their uniforms lol they are locked in

Reply #569823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Shyla Heal ....outrage

Reply #569827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Shane, this is not the SEQ circus

Reply #569837 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

Guys, Burton proved herself at the WC''s, played her role, via running the lanes, solid d, denied the ball and rebounded like a machine. She is shooting at 54% , just under 6 boards a game and nearly 8points. She doesn't jack up the 3, has a low turnover rate. She ain't met to be the star of the team, she is a role player.

Reply #569841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah...quality stuff...nearly 6 boards almost 8 points...can't shoot the 3...but she denies the ball and runs the lanes!!!

IM SOLD!

Reply #569852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To beat the US the team will need to play with Liz in the pick n roll with a penetrating point guard and shooters everywhere else. The stretch 4 of George, LJ or to a lesser extent Bishop or Penaluna will be needed.

Putting Burton on the floor will just cramp spacing for everyone else as the US and other teams won't guard her.

I'd think teams would be better scouted v Australia and won't let them get out on the break as often (where Burton had success v bad teams at Worlds).

If you're going to take a role player, take one that is in her early 20s.

Reply #569863 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

I suggest look at her stats from the worlds.. She was very efficient in the time she had on court was leading offensive rebounder ...she has proven she can deliver at international level... Agree ref wnbl she doesn't dominate, but then look at game Richards she dominates in the wnbl, but struggled at the worlds ...

Reply #569866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool, she grabbed a few o boards v the second units of Korea and Cuba in 2014.

That should be automatic entry to every Opals team until retirement as she is proven at the international level.

Reply #569868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL I was going to say the same thing. How will we ever replace her super-efficient 43%FG rate from Turkey? Imagine how low that is after the fast break layups are excluded. Yay for her for stat padding in the blowouts against the shitty teams. In the 2 games that were actually close she managed 1/6 from the field and 0/2 from the free throw line in her haul of 2 points, 2 turnovers and 8 boards total over the 2 games. FFS.

Reply #569870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leading offensive rebounder is code for can't hit layups and has to clean up her own misses

Reply #569871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take LJ with her leg in plaster before NB.

Reply #569874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a very mobile PF playing at centre...
Horrible at everything except running the floor.

Penaluna, Tomlinson ahead of her.
Better in every way except foot speed.
Both legit PF/Cs. Much more versatile than burton.

Reply #569875 | Report this post

Joy Richardson  
Years ago

Lol post from anonymous at 8:24pm, gold mate, gold! Poor Nat Burton she is probably a lovely chick. So bad that I laugh at her expense, but as soon as the team was announced I came straight to this forum to read the posts. Classic

Having said that Lavey has proved herself and I don't read much hate, so the table has turned, maybe Nat will have a corker of the rest of the WNBL season...... I said maybe.

Reply #569877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take ebzery ahead of lavey and madgen as a combo guard.

And I've said this before but I think burton would make a fantastic gk for the netball diamonds at 6'4 and with her agility. Seriously... Put her alongside one of geitz or Layton.

Reply #569878 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"She's a very mobile PF playing at centre...
Horrible at everything except running the floor."

Whether she deserves to be there or not, she was the Opals' leading rebounder at the 2014 WC.

Reply #569880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL yes she did excel in the 4 games out of 6 that were 30+ point wins. Stats are so meaningful in blowouts against minnow teams. Well done Nat!

Reply #569881 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

She had five boards in 14mins against the USA. Was that just a result of being "horrible at everything except running the floor"?

Surely making a case against Burton isn't that difficult, but I guess it's just easier for some to troll.

Reply #569883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 9881 - Do you think she picked herself and do you think she hasn't tried her best when representing our country. Or perhaps you think she should withdraw from the team because you don't think she's fit to be in it.
If the coach or selectors listened to wankers like you we wouldn't have national teams that have any success.

"Well done Nat" Get stuffed you idiot.

Reply #569884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 9881 - Do you think she picked herself and do you think she hasn't tried her best when representing our country. Or perhaps you think she should withdraw from the team because you don't think she's fit to be in it.
If the coach or selectors listened to wankers like you we wouldn't have national teams that have any success.

"Well done Nat" Get stuffed you idiot.

Reply #569885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9885 you need to get real. She isn't up to it its that simple but Joyce is so pig headed and has stayed true the entire time to taking Lavey and Burton no matter what. He would rather die of embarrassment rather than admit his infatuations were borderline obsessive.

As for LJ whilst she won't make the team through injury the coaching staff would be mad if they didn't make her in a ambassador role. She would be invaluable

Reply #569888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't suggest she is up to it. Would not be in my team probably. But it is not Nat's fault. If I was selected in an Australian team and didn't think I was good enough I wouldn't pull out and I'll bet you wouldn't either. Joyce etc. know enough and have their career on the line every tournament.

Just don't put shit on Nat or other players who were selected, they didn't pick themselves.

Well done Joyce would be far more appropriate.

I'm sure your magnificent playing and coaching career will see you selecting players that you want soon.

Reply #569890 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hopefully the root of everyone's passion and opinions here is a desire to see the Opals achieve the best results they possibly can. They're a world class team and a medal threat at every tournament they go to, they're a great bunch of people, they represent the country with pride and class wherever they go, so we all want to see them reach their full potential.

So let's not get trashy here. It's possible to support players without having to bag out other players in the process.
I've appreciated Nat's work from the first time she suited up for the Waves a few years ago, and it's great to have her back home at the Lynx this season contributing to us being top of the WNBL ladder.
Would she be in my personal Opals 12? No, as I implied above, I think Penaluna is performing at a higher level and is a more multi-dimensional threat. But that decision is on Joyce & Co, not on Nat. I just hope he is selecting people for the right reasons.

This is far from an important tournament, but at the same time I'd like to think he's picking something relatively close to his "real" team from who is actually available. Time together like this in the actual Olympic venue is gold.

At the end of the day whoever puts on the green & gold has my total support and I'm sure everyone else's too. But until then it's a fact of life that debate will continue about who should be there. Realistically there's probably still close to 20 players in that conversation. Let's keep it tasteful hey.

Reply #569898 | Report this post

Years ago

hard to go past the brazillian women for this event, should get wins against the other 2

Reply #569899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why isn't Taylor going? Her Chinese contract is up by mid December.

Reply #569901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprising he only took 4 bigs again. Same as Japan series..
usually aim for 2 power forwards, 2 centres and a combo.

Very guard heavy. All 1-2s.
Phillips
Mitchell
Lavey
Madgen
Ebzery

Should have not taken Phillips and Mitchell and let the other 3 battle it our for the rio spot.

Plus 2-3s in
Allen
Jarry
Talbot

Would have liked to have seen ohea vs the others at sf.

Bigs
Would have liked to have seen penaluna. Compare her with burton and bishop during the tour.

Batgirl and francis should be locks if Jackson will not be in rio.

Reply #569902 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well said Luuuc. If someone clearly shouldn't be in the team it should be easy to make the case without just slagging them off.

Reply #569906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips have to pull out. I hear she's nowhere near ready to play.

Reply #569918 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Phillips was a bit of a surprise to me too, considering she recently ruled herself out of the whole WNBL season.
If she does pull out, there's still plenty of guards in that team, so yeah it kind of does look like a team picked for Erin to be able to withdraw from if needed.

If that happens then hopefully Penny will be feeling good enough to join the group. She's playing great in China right now and was originally due to be finished there some time this month. I wonder if her not being named is due to Maya Moore's knee not being as fast to come good as originally hoped, thus extending Penny's stay over there. Would be great if she could make it to Rio even on restricted minutes.

Reply #569925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erin is close to playing, training flat out with lightning. Saying that, you would think she will be on a minute restriction.

Wrap Penny in cotton wool, no need for her to be playing these games. Bigger things await for our skipper!

Reply #569990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Erin is training with the Lightning, it begs two questions; why did she pull out of the WNBL season and why is she training with the Lightning and not SEQ?

Reply #569993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think (allegedly) SEQ paid their players who hurt themselves while under contract for other professional teams (wnba New York and LA) until they got back on the court in thewnbl.

I'm guessing (allegedly) that this may have resulted in a player withdrawing from playing the second half of the season once healthy.

Reply #570000 | Report this post

annoy  
Years ago

Great hear Erin is back to fitness, Good to see Abby back in the squad, though not sure she is helping her chances with the recent article in the Canberra times ie fighting for women parent athletes..

Reply #570125 | Report this post

Ariel83  
Years ago

It's baffling to say the least when a player averaging 7 pts, 5 rebounds & .5 assists can make an Australian team. What message does that send to all the other players?
Just doesn't make any cohesive sense at all.

Reply #570370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Called "coaches choice" ".............only needs to make sense in his world!

Reply #570377 | Report this post

Annoy  
Years ago

Nat does many things that aren't on the stat sheet, ie plays great defence! Joyce has his style of play he wants the opals to play and Burton fits to that. Yet again watch the WC's again, it was great basketball and she played great under Joyce and his style.

Reply #570642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What other stuff (besides defence) does she do that doesn't show up on the stat sheet?

Reply #570643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton wasn't great in the Japan series and in the Oceanias she averaged 4.5 pts and 6.5 rbds at 7.5 eff. Might sound good as a player with few minutes as a backup but she got more minutes than batkovic. (And batkovic averaged 15.5 pts, 6 rbds and 1.5 blks for 15 eff)

Playing on one end of the floor and being almost useless on the other will not win ball games at rio.

Reply #570644 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This isn't for trolls, just turn away now:

Joyce looks at Burton as a very good P&R defender, elite at running the floor and forcing oppo defence into help positions early (as well as being able to contest o-boards and recover on D) and a good rebounder at both ends.

If Joyce thinks she is producing those things in the green and gold I suspect she'll be picked, regardless of WNBL form.

For her to miss I think Joyce would have to be comfortable someone else has similar lateral quickness defending the P&R and similar speed up and down the court.

Reply #570647 | Report this post

annoy  
Years ago

Paul, well said and i totally agree, there are some bigs in the league now who dominate the stat sheet, however they are slow and there defence is just terrible, its there size here in the league that allows them to dominate. When it comes to international games or wnba level they struggle. Perfect example Abby Bishop, dominates here (Wnbl), went to the wnba was a starter but ended up being sent to the bench and even coming second off the bench .. another example Gabe richards - here she dominates as she is bigger and the offence runs through her and the game style previously under Bernie was slow , at the world champs the style didnt suit her and exposed her lack of running ability and defensive skills ...

Reply #570650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what needs to be looked at is the balance of the team if Liz is going to be apart of the squad (I hope she is) and if we are looking to put together a team to beat the USA.

Is Burton's pick n roll defense good enough to snuff out a pick n roll between Maya Moore and Nneka Ogwumike? I wouldn't think so, although she will likely do better then Bishop, George and Penaluna. That said Burton's lateral quickness is over rated when switched onto a smaller guard after a pick n roll. She is much better running in a straight line.

Can she play the 4 next to Liz on offense? I wouldn't think the spacing would be good enough and Liz will find herself facing strong double teams from Burton's player. I'd prefer George, Batgirl, Bishop or Penaluna in that spot. Or will scoring dry up if she is playing in non Liz lineups, as the guards won't have room to penetrate in the half court.

If she is a good rebounder, she should start getting rebounds in the WNBL one of these years. Its a transferable skill, a good rebounder in the NCAA will likely be a good rebounder in the NBA its the way rebounding works.

Also downplaying Abby Bishop's game because she was good enough to be recruited to play in the wnba when the player you're supporting won't ever be offered an opportunity is a little strange. Nat Burton won't ever make a wnba team, yet this is being used as a selling point for Opals selection somehow.

Reply #570657 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Important to remember though, Joyce will judge his team on previous Opals games, upcoming camps and prep games. Someone could be all-world at club level but if they can't get done what is needed internationally I doubt they'll get picked.

Reply #570659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the tough thing with the Opals job. Not sure how much of these games/camps Liz will be apart of. I think Nat was handy in 2014 with the non Liz team, although I don't think the fit is there with Liz in the squad.

I also don't like her strength if they are considering taking her to play minutes at the 5. Burton guarding Érika de Souza, Damiris Dantas, Griner or Tina Charles wouldn't be fun to watch.

Reply #570661 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I tend to agree. Of course, a bit to be played out yet to see who is available.

Reply #570663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If cambage is up front, I think we can go a little smaller at PF.
Something like..

Phillips
Taylor
Talbot
Griffin
Cambage

Which means dumping Mitchell.
I think lavey and ebzery can be the other options. Much better defensively.

Reply #570665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i doubt burton will play centre at rio.
She will most likely play at PF and against della Donne, Parker etc which is even worse.

Reply #570666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In terms of the naturalised position, I'd rather go with Griffin than Mitchell. Throw some size on the court, Mitchell is just too tiny. On the other hand, Taurasi and Griner are playing ball together year-round, there's not going to be anyone stopping that pick and roll / pick and pop.

Reply #570723 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I disagree that having Cambage in the middle means we can get away with a smaller PF.
Liz is not a great rebounder for her size, and her tendency to chase blocked shots often leaves her in poor rebounding position. Whoever plays the 4 needs to be a committed rebounder.

Having said that, Griffin is a good rebounder for her size.
Still don't know why Penaluna isn't there, because she'd fit very well at the 4 spot alongside Liz IMO. Cayla George could work too in that she is a pretty good rebounder and can then space the floor well on O. But she's an average defender and so is Liz so that aspect is a concern.

I could see Burton & Liz coexisting ok at the defensive end. In offence though it is 2 players who you'd rather were taking nothing further out than layups.

Reply #570724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So people are suggesting?
Phillips/lavey
Taylor/Allen/ebzery
Talbot/jarry
Griffin/francis/burton
Cambage/Tolo

Personally, I'd like to see a change in the front court..
Phillips/lavey
Taylor/Allen/ebzery
Talbot/jarry
Griffin/Francis/tolo
Cambage/Batkovic

Francis and batkovic will already have that chemistry and I'd prefer tolo as a PF. Quite mobile and descent mid range shooter but not a great rebounder.
A healthy Jackson could possibly replace one of tolo or batkovic.

I'd would have like to see ohea also. I guess she's not on Joyce's radar.

Reply #570727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possible USA squad?

5'9 Bird 1
5'9 Whalen 1
6'0 Taurasi 2/1
6'1 mcoughtry 2/3
6'0 Moore 3/2
6'1 Catchings 3/2
6'4 Parker 3/4
6'2 Ogwumike 4/3
6'4 Stewart 4/5
6'5 Della Donne 4/5
6'4 Charles 5/4
6'8 Griner 5

A plethora of others to choose from...

No chance for us...

Reply #570728 | Report this post

annoy  
Years ago

Ref bigs (4/5) i would select,
LJ (4/5) -(if fit, nothing needs to be said an amazing player0
Tolo (5) - great defender,rebounded and can do the job offensively (she did the number on many opponents at the worlds
Liz (5) - size,offensive however needs to work on defence
Cayla (4) - really impressed at the WC, especially the improvement in here defence. Can rebound and is a great shooter
Burton (4/5) but mainly 4. Runs the lanes and was leading rebounder at the worlds, before haters type,she had the most rebounds against the US. Great defender.

Front court
Erin -
Lavey -
Mitchell -
Penny
Talbot
Jarry
Allen

Reply #570748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin isn't even in the pre-Rio squad, can't see her getting in. It leaves too much workload for Phillips, she needs Mitchell as back up as Lavey is in there for limited exposure.

Our girls are playing for silver unfortunately, US squad us way too strong. We need a fit and firing LJ to compete with Della Donne and Parker, without her these girls will have a field day.

Reply #570844 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Burton (4/5) but mainly 4. Runs the lanes and was leading rebounder at the worlds, before haters type,she had the most rebounds against the US. Great defender."

Try again mate.
Top rebounders against the US were Tolo & Taylor with 6 each.

Reply #570859 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

... and yes, realistically we are playing for silver. The gap between the US and us has been widening each year for at least the last 5 years.

Reply #570860 | Report this post

rippedstallion  
Years ago

The Jayco Australian Opals squad for the warm-up tour in Japan:

Rebecca Allen, SEQ Stars, Suzy Batkovic, JCU Townsville Fire, Sara Blicavs, Jayco Dandenong Rangers, Natalie Burton, Perth Lynx, Elizabeth Cambage, Shanghai, Katie-RaeEbzery, Brydens Lawyers Sydney Uni Flames, Cayla George, JCU Townsville Fire, Rachel Jarry, SEQ Stars, Tessa Lavey, Perth Lynx, Tess Madgen Deakin, Melbourne Boomers, Leilani Mitchell, MAC Adelaide Lightning, Stephanie Talbot, Canberra Uni Capitals.

Injured/unavailable: Abby Bishop — Seattle Storm (injured). Marianna Tolo (injured). Laura Hodges — Bourges (France) — unavailable. Erin Phillips — Dallas Wings — unavailable. Penny Taylor — Phoenix Mercury — unavailable

via - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/swoop/rio-olympics-2016-opal-side-named-for-japan-minus-four-big-names/news-story/a2224215bec328610866ea6774cfa6c5

Reply #585439 | Report this post

guybighead  
Years ago

Does this mean this likes of;
Kunek
Griffin
Mandsfield
Cumming
Blicavs
Others

Are cut from the team?

Reply #585470 | Report this post

guybighead  
Years ago

^ edit - Blicavs in...

Reply #585471 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Try again mate.
Top rebounders against the US were Tolo & Taylor with 6 each."

Correct, Burton was the leading Aussie rebounder for the entire tournament (equal with Tolo but in 36 less minutes) but had five against the Americans.

Our performance against the USA in Turkey was close to our best ever. I think if we're going to beat the US in the foreseeable future this is our chance.

Reply #585477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fancy cutting Kelsey Griffin. Joyce really has no idea about some things

Reply #585508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce?
Phillips/Mitchell
Taylor/Allen/lavey
Jarry/Talbot
Hodges/burton/tolo
Cambage/batkovic

Imo
Phillips/Mansfield
Taylor/jarry/ebzery
Talbot/Allen
Griffin/George/tolo
Cambage/batkovic

Reply #585509 | Report this post

dada5000ismyhero  
Years ago

Wasn't much point adding Kesley to the squad and then cutting her at the first opportunity.

She probably didn't fit his preferred 'type' of player - which is that they look like a great athlete.

Also @paul

You write for fiba.com, the website that puts out propaganda pieces for Joyce on how good Burton is. You write real articles on the NBL (piece on NZ for example) although everything you and fiba.com write BA related is garbage.

We have established previously that she played well against second units in blowout games in a tournament 2 years ago, that hasn't changed.

Reply #585524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield for Mitchell..... Absolutely no way, mitchell has proved her worth time and time again, her experience alone is what this team needs,

Reply #585548 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

Watch out Japan, Burton is ready to run up those lanes!!!

Reply #585550 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"We have established previously that she played well against second units in blowout games in a tournament 2 years ago, that hasn't changed."

You've established her 5 boards in 14 mins against the USA was against a second unit in a blowout game?

The simple fact is she was the leading rebounder for the Opals at the WC and a good contributor in the most important game. Does that mean she should be an automatic selection for Rio? Absolutely not. Does it mean she should be in the mix? Without doubt.

Reply #585570 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She is not a good rebounder. Despite being a starter all season she finished 29th in the WNBL in rebounds per game, and was 4th on her own team. Not only did Louella out-rebound her (there's no shame in that), but so did Betnijah Laney and also 5'10 Sami Whitcomb.
She's also a terrible free throw shooter. 54% this past season is bad for a player with a role of running the floor. Perfect illustration - 2014 game vs USA she runs the floor in transition, receives the long pass with just Sue Bird guarding her so Bird is forced to foul. Burton misses both FTs.

I remain perplexed by her continued selection.

Now let's take a properr look at the legend of that great performance of hers against the USA.

1st Quarter [5:17 playing time]
She misses 2 free throws as mentioned above. Totally blows a defensive assignment on Dupree to give her an open layup, and later Dupree hits a J in her face, which was at least properly contested.
Rebound 1 is an O-board from a Snell airball landing in her hands. Rebound 2 wasn't even a rebound, but she was the last Opal to touch the ball before a USA player batted it into teammate who was out of bounds.
She made 2 post entry passes to Tolo. One was a nice play but Tolo unfortunately missed a gettable layup. The other was a poor pass behind a cutting Tolo that resulted in her getting blocked instead of getting an open layup.

2nd Quarter [3:55]
Rebound #3 is a solid defensive rebound off a USA miss. Rebound #4 is a long bounce out to her off an unsuccessful Moore 3 point attempt.
In the same sequence she gets an offensive foul for running through Moore in the keyway.
She jacks up a FGA from just inside the 3 point line with 10 seconds still on the shot clock, a predictable brick for a player whose reliable range is about 2 feet.
She gives up an O-board to Ogwumike with 2.5 sec left in the half and then fouls her, costing 2 points entering the long break.

3rd Quarter [1:26}
Offensive foul for a blatant moving screen on Taurasi right when the Opals have some momentum. The resulting USA possession sees Taylor pick up her 4th foul and have to sit. Joyce sits Burton too.

4th Quarter [4:45]
She checks in in garbage time with the deficit at 19.
Nat plays some nice D to trap Moore in the corner and force a USA shot clock violation.
Rebound #5 is a solid defensive board under the hoop.
Jacks up another very long 2 attempt, with 11 still on the shot clock. Another brick.
Makes an open layup off a set play from a baseline inbound pass.

I'll happily debate anyone who claims her play in that game was anything special.

Reply #585636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree. Shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.
And where the hell is penaluna?

Reply #585638 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Correction to something I posted previously. Nat was not 29th in the WNBL in rpg, she was 26th.

Reply #585639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754