Ricky
Years ago

Should NBL Playoffs be 5 games?

The schedules havent been set have they?

Wonder what you guys think of a best of 5 instead of 3?

Pretty sure the NBL tried this awhile back..

Topic #38644 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

def best of 5 for the grand final series..

Reply #569820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For gf only,without a doubt.

Reply #569825 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yeah for GF. Semi-finals are traditionally poorly attended so they only deserve to be 3 games.

Reply #569826 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Yep agree!

3 for Semis
5 for GF

Reply #569831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As previous

3 semi. 5 gf

Reply #569833 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agreed- 3 games for semis, and 5 for GF.

Reply #569834 | Report this post

The grand final should be 48 five minute games.

Reply #569836 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's clearly ridiculous.

You need an odd number of games to ensure a winner.

Reply #569839 | Report this post

Winner is determined by a jumpball.

Reply #569840 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Nice, Prather and Perth it is.

Reply #569845 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Should be 5x 48min quarters with a 12sec shot clock or first to 500 with a 10sec shot clock and 4 players 3 of whom are imports and have to have played at least 12 games in the d-league with no assists (consecutive) or have played 1 game in the NBA. Coaches must wear animal costumes and the assistants wear suits of armour.

Reply #569848 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Should be the first to team to get a technical foul.

That would be the real everest.

Players couldn't do it if they tried.

Reply #569865 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Like.

Reply #569876 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Well that went to a weird place quickly.

Reply #569894 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Always thought it should be best of 5, bring it...

Reply #569912 | Report this post

Jeremy Loeliger  
Years ago

Will consider all options guys, thanks for the response.

I personally like best of 69.

Reply #569946 | Report this post

Jeremy LOLiger!

Reply #569947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much is there to consider, really?,

Reply #569992 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No.
Paying to go to finals games is too expensive as it is already.
We used to have A-H-H series which made sense in terms of travelling, but everyone bitched about losing the advantage up front, so we moved to H-A-H.
In a 5 game series what would we have?
Keep in mind that this is a Continental league. We have teams from WA, SA, FNQ, and NZ.
Imagine (yet another) Cats & Breakers series, but over 5 games, the players would knackered by travel.

Reply #570016 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

2-2-1 has the same travel has a 1-1-1 three-game series.

Reply #570027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one agrees with you, yet again DAZZ

Reply #570029 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

What would be the case for change to a 5-game semi final series? Some disadvantages have been covered above. Are there any advantages? I can't think of any.

Reply #570032 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

One could argue more money for clubs, unless fans dont come. I think just the Finals is a fair shot for 5.

I seriously dont know how the NBA can do 7 for all playoffs.. but it works for them..

Reply #570045 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Definitely 5 for the finals. I would be happy with 5 for the semis, but 5 for the finals is a nice start. Season is too long to have it all over in 2 games.

Reply #570067 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This would only work if the finals were spread out over 15-20 days. Not big enough market or attendances to be talking 5 games in anything less.

Reply #570078 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

personally, should be best of 11 games. NBL wanted to become like most international leagues so best of 3 is piss weak. 5 at the very minimum

Reply #570183 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

2-2-1 has the same travel has a 1-1-1 three-game series.
And?
2-2-1 would never work, first time the home team takes it 3-0, the away team will scream blue murder.

Besides,I just don't see what two extra games add?

The ONLY reason they have 7 games series in the NBA is MONEY, every final is worth squillions so they milk it for every last cent.
Now, it may well be that two extra finals would be profitable for the NBL, I don't really know. However I fear that there may be diminishing returns.

Reply #570349 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And?
2-2-1 would never work,

It worked in the NBA for years.

first time the home team takes it 3-0, the away team will scream blue murder.
Why is that any different from a sweep in a H-A-H best of three?

The ONLY reason they have 7 games series in the NBA is MONEY, every final is worth squillions so they milk it for every last cent.
Best-of-seven predates the NBA being worth any money at all.

Reply #570362 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A best of 5 would be great to see, and I think the higher interest levels in the NBL at the moment would warrant it. Perth, Melbourne, NZ, Cairns and Adelaide would pack out all 3 maximum home games. Illawarra in a grand final should also get sell outs to their games for a GF.

With the league improving, this should be on the agenda for discussion. The money generated from an extra sold out home game would make a big difference to the clubs bottom line too.

I think the first time they tried this it didn't work out because the league was very weak then. Melbourne and Sydney could only get 4-5000 for some of the games. That wouldn't happen now.

Semi finals should stay best of 3 though. No one attends those.

Reply #570455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crowds weren't really the issue when they did best of five, they were pretty good for the most part.

I think they got rid of it because of TV. If Fox wants it I'm sure the NBL would do it, it's about finding the balance between not having too small a gap between the games to affect crowds, but not running into footy season.

Reply #570458 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Agree about TV demands, and not running into the footy seasons would be the main reasons. But if a grand final isn't sold out - no matter what the capacity of the arena is - then it reduces the appeal and doesn't have that big game feel about it.

I remember when Sydney played Melbourne in the final game when it was a best of 5 in the GF and only 5500 attended at the SEC. For me, that was one of the leagues low points and to me suggested that they shouldn't have done a best of 5 then.

Reply #570461 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Fans always prefer to see a decider so crowds are usually lower in the first game & sometimes the 3rd game can suffer in a best of 5 too.

That Kings vs Melbourne Series had the following crowds at the SEC:
Game 1

Reply #570464 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Game 1 3208
Game 3 6009
Game 5 10244

Reply #570465 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Thanks D4444 - I thought game 5 was poorly attended but maybe I was thinking of another game or maybe a different series. Thanks for clarifying that.

Agree, a possible downside to an extra 2 games would be a longer build up to the decider as far as interest goes if people are only concerned about the decider. If its promoted well this shouldn't be a problem. The NBL is doing pretty well with that so far.

Reply #570468 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

2005/06 Grand Final won by Melbourne had 5,500 for Game 3 (won 3-0 in a best of 5) - I must have been thinking of that one.

2007/08 Grand Final won by Mebourne in 5 games had the crowds that you mentioned D4444.

Reply #570470 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Yes, 2005/2006 was a very poor series for crowds. Even Game 1 at the SEC had <6,000 & of course the Melbourne home games were sellouts only because of the pathetic capacity of the venue.

Reply #570474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Semis could work well, especially for the TV audience.
Regular season finishes on Sunday 14th February, with current ladder positions we could have something like this;
1 v 4 Perth and Illawarra
2 v 3 Melbourne and NZ
18/2 Perth home game (weeknight game works for Perth's CBD workers)
19/2 Melbourne home game
20/2 Perth home game (Saturday game suits families)
21/2 Melbourne home game (Melbourne's preferred Sunday slot judging by the regular season fixture)
22/2 and 23/2 no games
24/2 Illawarra home game
25/2 NZ home game (Thursday night like they prefer)
26/2 Illawarra home game (Friday night should draw a good crowd)
27/2 NZ home game
28/2 Perth home game family friendly Sunday afternoon (game 5 should sell out.. note: I do remember last years game 2 semi vs Cairns was a terrible crowd but it was a long weekend plus was the same day as a music festival)
29/2 Melbourne home game (game 5 should sell out any day)

Grand final series starting the 3rd or 4th March playing every second day.

Reply #570479 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think first final home team advantage, then next two away, then return for final two to the top team as home games would work best and provide the most chance for a four or five game series...

Reply #570489 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Also, in the 1-2-2 format the crowds would likely be better, because the first final is crucial for both teams, if the second placed team gets up, they could go on and win at home in the next two, also this gives additional meaning and spice to those games.

If games go according to seeding, you have the top team coming back down 1-2 and having to win game 4 or they are out.

Just seems to me that a 1-2-2 GF series would be a block buster on TV and live, IMHO that is...

Reply #570490 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That has the same problem as A-H-H three-game series, and the 2-3-2 format the NBA Finals used to use.

Reply #570491 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not really, if promoted well I can see game 1 being huge and setting up the remaining games as must see events.

I am presuming the league will continue doing well as it has been this season and the coverage building up to the finals like never before.

Travel is unavoidable so I am not even considering this as an issue, no problems that I can see, what is your issue?

Reply #570495 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The away team having more home games than the home team at some point in the series.

If each of the first three is won by the team playing at home, there's suddenly a huge amount of pressure on the home team to win games four and five.

Reply #570499 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, exactly the point, it makes for an exciting and interesting series. So what, if they are good enough they could win away, you can't be scheduling according to what might happen or it will never eventuate.

Also, a five game series gives teams more chance to adjust and possibly make it a tighter contest, or an upset at the end?

I'm not saying it is perfect, what I am saying is it would be, or could be an awesome five game series for the NBL to end the season on...

Worth a try IMO!

Reply #570501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754