Anonymous
Years ago

North into Grand Final

I hear it is a rematch between Forestville and North

North up by 15

Topic #3867 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Was a great game. Sturt was up at half time after applying the pressure at both ends.
But in the third Erin dominated to snatch the lead by 2 at the last break. Then Tania Dhu had an awesome last quarter to finish it off.

Grand Final next week.

Go Rockets!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #44959 | Report this post

spectator  
Years ago

Congratulations are in order to North, but I couldn't help feeling helpless for the Sturt girls, seems the refs can really choose who wins and who doesnt.

Reply #44979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sour grapes spectator?

Reply #44980 | Report this post

Kets  
Years ago

Spectator you are a moron, the sturt girls lost it themselves through poor shot selection, turnovers and poor coaching down the stretch. you dont lose games by that much through bad calls

Reply #44987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or perhaps North just played better

Reply #44991 | Report this post

spectator  
Years ago

I don't disagree with any of that, North did play and shoot exceptionally well. They also played exceptional defence - with a foul count of six to none in the fourth quarter.

Seems ridiculous for one of the most physical games of womens basketball Ive seen in a while

North didnt register their first foul till there was 4 minutes to go in the game, giving them a big advantage down the stretch.

Reply #45001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well you didn't see north v forestville last week then did you?

also how can the foul count be 6 to none if north got a foul in the last qtr

contradicting yourself there

Reply #45002 | Report this post

spectator 2  
Years ago

Pathetic spectator. Maybe you should worry about the Sturt coach's ability, & how to get the job done under pressure down the stretch.

Reply #45003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #45029 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Interesting comments regarding the refs. For the majority of the game they were typical of the standard we have come to expect however i do feel that 'spectator' has a valid point regarding the 4th quarter decisions.

All too often it seemed that the Sturt girls were being physically disadvantaged all the while Erin Phillips was wrapped in cotton wool. At no time was this more ridiculous then when she fumbled the ball, dived over B. Bowley to regain it, travelled at this point only to have a foul called on B. Bowley for a hack. This was blatant player protection and utter rubbish.

Now that i've had that little rant, here's a thought...

Perhaps the North girls created their own luck with calls through tougher D and a better executed O. I know i bashed a couple of calls and while Sturt were fighting the battle, i give a lot of credit to the North girls for the two afore mentioned aspects of the game.

Reply #45031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well blue collar if you think that north played better d and executed their offense better

why bash the refs?

when it comes to finals you have the best ref's on the games

why would a junior ref want to continue in the sport when even when the refs get to elite level they are still blamed for someones poor shooting or a coaches bad sub

I know become a ref because you will always know you are disliked by some, hated by others, misunderstood by most and cause teams to lose all the time.

Such a rewarding occupation!!

Reply #45033 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

In the words of Sam Newman... 'You Idiot'

Fact: Refs get paid to do a job.
Fact 2: If you are paid to do a job, you can expect people to have concern if you are not doing that job properly.

In the same way we discuss any (professional) players or coaches bad games, umpires are not above critique.

Re-read my post, have a coke and a smile and shut the up.

Reply #45036 | Report this post

Kerrish  
Years ago

here here

Reply #45050 | Report this post

Pickles  
Years ago

Why didn't Chapple and Jolly play for Sturt??? Surely you would want more than 7 players suiting up in a final???

Reply #45069 | Report this post

Pablo  
Years ago

The problem is the officials didnt decide the game poor coaching did.

Reply #45092 | Report this post

picachoo  
Years ago

do you think pablo thats a bit harsh. Perhaps it was poor decision making from the people who actually have the ball.

Reply #45100 | Report this post

Pablo  
Years ago

Yes i do agree that to, but sturts coach down the stretch was more worried about yelling at wallace than fixing the obvious problems they had on the court

Reply #45102 | Report this post

picachoo  
Years ago

and yes we all know wallace loves to stir people up

Reply #45104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blue Collar..........Erin Phillips wrapped in cotton wool ???

LOL...she bashed her body around !!, she missed a few in the first half, then came back and put her body on the line...were you watching the same game ??

Angela tried her hardest on her. She couldnt match her fit body. If Erin was wrapped in cotton wool, then look out next week for the Eagles.....P.S. we are Norwood through and through. Erin is a legend.

Go Rockets next week !!

Reply #45106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And she had a few fouls too, so the umpys didnt wrap her up too much.

She plays the game down the line. Without the likes of her our game is stuffed !!!!

Reply #45109 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think BC was suggesting that she was treated favourably by the referees, not that she didn't play hard. Also, they didn't suggest that the game is better off without her or anything of the sort. I think you misinterpreted their post.

Reply #45114 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I didn't see this game so I don't know the specifics, but if you continuously get calls against you that you think are not fair, that can have a long term affect on how you play the rest of the game. As a player it would anger you and make you unsettled from that point on having a detrimental affect on how you play the rest of the game. You see this time and time again where a player loses concentration and makes bad moves after being called for a foul that they felt should not have been called. Nobody would suggest that the refs were responsible for a 15 point difference in the game, but that difference could be the result of the type of performance you put in under that sort of pressure. I agree that refs can make or break a game. No point arguing that North played obviously better to get the win because Sturt also earned their position to be playing in this semi final game.

Reply #45116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree why didnt kate jolly get on when she has been averaging about 10 mins a game

Reply #45179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think, sorry know, that the refs didn't cost Sturt the match. What struck me, particularly in the second half, was how many times Sturt, and in particular the guards, turned the ball over. This was due to North's defensive action which led to self imposed pressure by Sturt. I saw two turnovers from a pass to "no-one" without the Sturt player being overly tightly guarded.

Reply #45185 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754