Anonymous
Years ago

Could Sobey be the next Goulding?

Anyone see the similarities? A joey Wright developed talent who comes up as a development player into a genuine star. Herky jerky type scorer

Topic #38674 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I don't think so. He's only 2 years younger. Would have to improve massively in a short period of time to reach Goulding's level.

Reply #570683 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anything's possible, but some things are a lot less possible than others. Goulding is just a pure natural scorer, Sobey is more of an athlete with decent basketball talent.

Reply #570685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow did you see that jam! I told you this man has star quality!

Reply #570686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would have to really work on falling over to get to the Goulding level of flopping.

Reply #570691 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Personally i think Sobey could be legit.

I think he is a guy who if you set him free and give him license he could show some serious game in the league.

A guy like Gliddon got a masisve opportunity up in Cairns and took it.

Present Sobey with an opportunity like that and I could see a similar but better climbing up of the ladder.

Reply #570696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Sobey ever get his dog back?

I read that not long after moving to Adelaide with his puppy or something, tradies left his side gate open and Sobey came home to find his dog was gone and put out an appeal for help finding it.

Reply #570700 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't think he's much like Goulding as a player, but I think there is a lot of potential in Sobey. His speed and hops make him an absolute live-wire on court and his ball-handling and reaction time seem very good too.

If he puts the hard work in over the next couple of seasons to get more consistent with his outside shot and his defence, I could see him being a real weapon.

Reply #570704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Sobey should be our starting sg now, he is playing better than Gibson and Teys imo.

He is different to Goulding, but if he works hard, gets some minutes and continues to improve he could be really good

He has great speed, athleticism, energy and is very active when on court, which is a great start

Reply #570707 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

In a few years yes,at the moment he learning under Joey.

Reply #570708 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sobey's problem so far this season has been coming on the court and trying too hard and ending up doing stupid plays. Last game and this game he looked a lot more patient, not trying to do too much. With Gibson gone next season he moves straight into the starting Shooting guard spot and will offer a lot more also. Hopefully Wright has identified he can really add a lot to this team and will start playing him more now (As long as Sobey is patient out there)

Reply #570710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea he looks good when patient and not forcing it

This is why id start him now,

a. he is contributing better than most of our guards now

b. Gibson is off to brisbane (per rumours) so may aswell see if Sobey can take over for the rest of the season

It can help us win games now and build for the future at the same time imo

Reply #570712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to get a game 1st.

Reply #570718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but Sobey is terrible. Extremely good hops but isn't smart and doesn't know how to play in a system...not to mention can not shoot very well at all

Reply #570721 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Conveniently timed thread, during last night's game I thought he may develop into a Damien Martin type player

Reply #570732 | Report this post

Dennis21  
Years ago

I can see Steindl becoming a player like Goulding. If only he had the same mentality that he is the main guy.

Reply #570734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey has made the choice to play Big V Div 1 back in Warrnambool next season....

Not the type of league that is going to fast track his development to any great heights but at least he will help out his junior association which is in need of some help.

Reply #570735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Dennis21 the only thing that steindl and Goulding have in common are that they can both shoot from deep. Other than that they are totally different

Reply #570746 | Report this post

Dennis21  
Years ago

Gouldings main attribute a few years ago was his three point shooting. He was average in everything else and through hard work now excels in most. Both he and steindl both create there own shots and being able to shoot the 3 is a good starting point. Could see steindl being able to do the things Goulding does but probably not as good. Although it is unlikely with him being only a year younger then him. I thought he was around 22.

Reply #570759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Define excels please.....

Must now have much to work on now then !!

Reply #570760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* not have much to work on

Reply #570761 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goulding has long had that playground ability to create shots and make plays, whereas Steindl has been a shooter who could drive straight at the hoop.

I'm not sure there have been too many Aussies with Goulding's style of game.

Reply #570763 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

As for Steindl, I'd love to have him get an NBA tryout so he completely understands the work he has to put in to develop his game, I know that won't happen but imagine him coming back a far more complete player... The other night was atrocious for Steindl, he didn't look aggressive at all and at times this season it's hard to watch him be so pass orientated.

As for Sobey, I see him being a very good player and I would give him atleast 5 more minutes a game of Gibson's and his starting spot. Gibbo is shit and if he felt like he had to produce just to get minutes then you'd get more from him and Sobey so win win... Heck give him 10 extra minutes a game

Reply #570822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could handle starting Sobey over him Gibbo barely looks interested and seems to just be trying to avoid injury before signing with the Bullets after this season.

Reply #570827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupidest thread ever.

Reply #570833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey offseason move is a poor one. Surely continuing to devlop and get confidence at SEABL or QBL level would be better for his next NBL season than bush league Div 1. That is here u go at the end of your career to help out the old home town not is your prime. He on the cusp of making it but maybe they got something special in the water down at the bool.

A guy who should play SEABL again is Mitch creek he been ugly this year and the confidence would do him some good

Reply #570855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is garbage, not even close to what goulding or stindl can do, he's just a better defender than both of them, he's out of control and dumb. DUMBEST THREAD EVER

Reply #570865 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess someone is not a Sobey fan lol. Did he not sign a autograph for you or something...

Time will tell how good he can be. All is facts is when given time he has played well.

Reply #570875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#570855 Perhaps watch a little closer. Creek has been the 36ers 2nd best players this season.

You may have been getting him confused with Walker for the entire season.

Reply #570876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek getting no burn and really not looking graT!

Reply #570877 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

6ers roster is a joke.

Seriously, no chance for silverwear with the midget brigade.

Gibbo (not interested), Sobey (a level down, needs to develop), Randle (only shining light), Teys (LOL).

Reply #570883 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anything's possible, but he would really need to work on his flopping and scabbing for cheap fouls.

Reply #570981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warnambool having sobey playing is like having another import in D1m

Reply #571687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell the league that, they still allow them an import as well because he averages only 8 mins in NBL.

Reply #571689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. No way, Not ever. What retard even started this topic,

Reply #571690 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sobey has played for Warrnambool before so he shouldn't be considered an import.

Reply #571696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a solid NBL rotation player in D1 he is better than every import in that league!

He might take it as a bit of a holiday thou which might effect his output

Reply #571707 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

Sobey is hands down better than any import in D1 possibly even SCM

Will be by far the best player in D1

Reply #571708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how does the league allow theman American import as well adn I am sure they still have a naturalised american also ??

Reply #571709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to see these comments from a recent NBL article http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/the-rise-and-rise-of-nathan-sobey/ from the man who discovered CG43 himself:

-----------------------------

His new head coach, Joey Wright, was determined to lock him up on a long-term contract, believing Sobey has what it takes to become a headline act.

"He's definitely a future star in this league," Wright said.

“His work ethic is off the charts and that’s why I put him in the category of a young Chris Goulding ... Goulding’s work ethic was a star type work ethic and Sobey has the same thing.”

Wright believes Sobey’s floor is pretty high.

“You know with his work ethic and his abilities that there’s no chance he can’t be good. He’s so young as a player that he doesn’t know that now but coaches would know that if you check four or five different boxes, you can’t help but be good.”

Reply #572041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looks like sobey is on track to be as good as cg43

Reply #604766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is very impressive. Should he be coming into boomers consideration if he keeps this up?

Reply #604773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #604791 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I hope he continues to grow in the league, but I didn't think he was a serial flopper, so not like Goulding, no!

Reply #604801 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Sobey wont be good enough for real Boomers consideration because there are too many people ahead of him. As for being the next Goulding, is Goulding rteally any good anyway?

Reply #604806 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

All-NBL Team in his past 2 seasons here qualifies as rather good I'd say.

Reply #604808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

32pts 8 rebs 5 asts 2 stls tonight. Doubt any Aussie guard (or any player for that matter) has put up those type of numbers since we went to 40 minute games. Special.

Reply #604815 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Sobey continues like this he will be at the next Boomers camp, without doubt. With the WC qualifiers in-season from next year on he will give himself a real chance if he continues this form.

Reply #604819 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Certainly an impressive few games. Probably as good a 3 week tare as any Aussie guard has produced for a while.

Joey (as is his style) has obviously given Sobey the green light. It is the Joey way because his lack of system at either end solely relies on individual talent (the ones he gives the light to) creating for themselves and others. I also think that Drmic is suffering the opposite with Joey. He hasn't got the green light or a system which gives him a chance to operate to his strengths.

How Sobey transitions into a more structured system with a specific role to play when he gets a shot at the next level will decide his ceiling.

Sure fun to watch at the moment though.

Reply #604821 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think Goulding would be able to do much for the the NBAEuro Boomers, let alone Sobey or any other NBL options.

We have too many NBA and elite Euro players, such as Exum/Ingles/Dellavedova/Mills/Broekhoff/Simmons (perhaps he'll eventually be a Durant style tall playing a guards role).

Boomers have at least 5-7 players filling 2 guards spots so players like Lisch/Goulding/Gibson/Martin/Sobey aren't going to get much court time, and at best one or two will be selected in a team of 12-16.

Reply #604827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey might be a better all around player than goulding right now. Great playmaking

Reply #607421 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Agree, Sobey is a better all-round player. But we have enough of those already in th Boomers.
Goulding only got in for his shooting and creating off the dribble.

Reply #607440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754