Lawsy
Years ago

Marcus Thornton gone from Kings?

Well, there goes another one.. Thornton will be sacked today.. Man, this has been a terrible season- such high hopes.

Thornton was a dissapointment

Topic #38683 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

How do you know he has been/will be sacked ?

Reply #570845 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

It's on Twitter.. USA sports journos are on to it

Reply #570847 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Any link to Randle tweeting his appreciation to 36ers management? PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE...

Without Markovic playing, that still leaves us a bit thin at the guard spot now, surely? Especially with scorers, unless James finds his feet very quickly or they still managed to get Baron Davis out of hollywood but while I have been wishing for this since early on, surely it's too little too late now?

The last game though he was even worse than usual... How does he expect to be a PG if he doesn't frigging pass the damn ball?!?

Reply #570849 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

David Pick:

Source: Boston Celtics draftee Marcus Thornton, stashed in Australia, on his way out of Sydney Kings.
Olgun Uluc:
Just got word that the @SydneyKings are not planning to release Marcus Thornton. If he's leaving, then they don't know about it

Reply #570850 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah i thought it was a little weird to release him so late into the season.

Reply #570851 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Releasing him now would be pointless I think, even though I've been calling for his head most of the season, but David Pick has usually been a pretty solid source of info over the years, so it's fair to wonder about what's going on... Maybe Thornton got pissed that he actually had to pass it to someone to get a score and is leaving early?

Reply #570852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No great loss to league! Avg import playing for a terrible team. Kings better to put game time into the locals to see who's worth keeping long term

Reply #570853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan jett makes thornton look good. Its too late to cut him now from a financial pov.

Reply #570854 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would seem illogical for the Kings to release him as he would need to be paid out for the season (?) and someone else paid and top.

Kings season is over. They are just playing for pride now.

Reply #570857 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

They are just playing for pride now.

You'd like to think so, but it doesn't really seem the case so far, from some of the players at least and certainly not the management...

Just an interesting side note, two most recent followers of David Pick, Rhys Carter and Joe Connelly III...

Reply #570858 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Thornton has actually been playing some very good D for Sydney. He made Corey Websters life extremely tough on Friday night

Reply #570861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thornton is actually a very talented player. Unfortunately for him he landed with a basketcase franchise and an environment not great for his development. Maybe the Connolly hire was the last straw for him? Whatever the case, his experience is probably not going to make a great advertisement for the NBL being a good place for NBA draft picks to come and develop.

Reply #570862 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

He may have been a very talented scorer at college, but watching him play every single game has been incredibly frustrating as a Kings fan... The system hasn't been right this season (or any season since their return) to get their shooters open, but he hasn't changed his focus since Day 1 of getting his shots and not helping facilitate, which is even more frustrating when he was saying coming in that the Celtics wanted him as a PG (which is ridonkulous). He HAS picked up his D the last couple of games, but compared to how he played the rest of them, even my Nonna would have been able to get past him...

Reply #570864 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

So in summary:

Wookiee's Nonna > Thornton > Corey Webster

You heard it here first folks.

Reply #570866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

D4444, Wookiee's Nonna is paying $3.75 for MVP on Centrebet. Easy money.

Reply #570867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun Uluc again:

I'm told that Marcus Thornton is expected to suit up for the @SydneyKings for Wednesday night's game against @MelbUnitedHQ

Reply #570868 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

This is he or isn't he must be causing some headaches for fantasy leagues.

Thanks for the hot tip about Wookiee's Nonna too Isaac ;-)

Reply #570869 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"D4444, Wookiee's Nonna is paying $3.75 for MVP on Centrebet. Easy money."

Haha I got her when she was at $5.50 and before she chucked the blue rinse through her hair

Reply #570874 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Full article from Aussie Hoopla:

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/marcus-thornton-released-sydney-kings/

Side Note: Two worthy sources now saying that he will be cut, while Olgun Uluc may be a very reliable sources and an amazing reporter, it doesn't mean he's the be all and end all when it comes to rumours.

Personally, I don't see the reasoning behind this, especially considering they've got too pay out his contract, maybe Baron Davis could take his place, considering we need a PG right now.

Side Note: What the hell is happening with Jerome Randle, was that tweet a good bye message, or him just saying thank you for every thing so far????

Reply #570879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter wanted him gone before seasons start and wasn't allowed. NO wonder the Kings are stuffed.

Reply #570880 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Sorry mystro, apparently my Nonna has done her knee in training, it seemed like a good bet at the time :(

Side Note: Two worthy sources now saying that he will be cut

Who is the other one other than David Pick?

If we have to pay him out, I'd probably prefer to keep him, but I've been calling for his head for so long, it sort of sounds weird to even think that...

Keep in mind though that the exact wording was "Source: Boston Celtics draftee Marcus Thornton, stashed in Australia, on his way out of Sydney Kings" - he could have just gotten jack of it and is voluntarily going? I think we can all agree that his time Down Under has not been beneficial for him or the team or the fans, maybe he wants to get some different exposure somewhere else?

As for Randle, he tweeted that he had stomach flu during the game, maybe he was just following that up with some generic thanks? Although he WOULD look better in purple and gold :D

Reply #570923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Indominous-Rex isn't referring to Aussie Hoopla as a 'worthy source'. That's laughable.

It seems to be clear that Thornton isn't going anywhere, at least for now.

Reply #570938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The system hasn't been right this season (or any season since their return) to get their shooters open."

The system in 2012/13 was pretty damn good at creating open looks, teams didn't know how to stop Madge from getting open that year.

I think Thornton has improved considerably in his time here. He still has plenty to learn, but he understands his offensive game much better, and his workrate on D is night and day from when he first arrived.

Kings fans may be disappointed with him, but the reality is imports straight out of college are a bit of a lottery.

Reply #570942 | Report this post

Tweets aren't "sources"

Two tweets aren't "multiple sources"

Reply #570950 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I'm not saying Hoopla is a source, although they know what they're talking about, but I have sources of my own that have confirmed this, although they say that he might be straight up quitting on his own terms.

Reply #570953 | Report this post

From what I have read on Hoopla, they just collate other comments from Twitter and elsewhere and write articles on it. I don't think their sources are anything other than social media.

Reply #570956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Pretty much

Reply #570958 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Kings fans may be disappointed with him, but the reality is imports straight out of college are a bit of a lottery.

Which, if Markovic had been healthy, wouldn't have been too bad, all the better to use him just as a SG, but he wasn't and this was apparently known when they signed Steve, so while I think the main problem has still been defensively (along withthe occasional ball hogging) with Thornton, not all the blame can be lumped on his shoulders...

If the rumours were true and the Kings management passed on or didn't allow Cotter to chase Lisch (even though it was probably very very short odds he'd only play for Bevo), then that's even worse stupidity from Management, as a bunch of us have been clammering for an experienced import that can run the team and Lisch woudl have been on top of most of our lists (along with Clarke,a nother very very long shot)

but I have sources of my own that have confirmed this, although they say that he might be straight up quitting on his own terms.

What do they say about him suiting up for Melbourne tomorrow then? I know the Kings have a long history of denying leaks only for them to come true eventually, maybe he's sticking around until a replacement can be found? For the rest of the season, we could do a lot worse than dusting off Baron Davis, he'd at least be a drawcard and he'd only have to be better than our development PG lol...

Reply #570960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add Gibbo to that list to of the players that Cotter wanted that the Kings management dis allowed.

Reply #570962 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ok so after reading all that, is he still a Sydney King or not?

Reply #570982 | Report this post

Deihm pop  
Years ago

Wookies Nonna has signed with Pakenham Big V

Reply #570985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings chases many players but I'm pretty sure none weren't signed for any other reason than wanting to play elsewhere or wanted too much cash.

Gibbo was talked to by the club but stayed true to Joey, Lisch the same.

Trustee Sydney owners will spend $$ if they can get the W!

Hard to get some players when Melbourne are paying well above the norm tho.

Reply #571016 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ok so after reading all that, is he still a Sydney King or not?

As standard no official word from the team, but according to the Foxsports dude, they said that he's still a King and will suit up in Melbourne tonight...

Reply #571019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told today he was gone and that the new guy cant believe how interfering the owners are.

Reply #571041 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"Hard to get some players when Melbourne are paying well above the norm tho"

Oh, is THAT what it's called these days?

:D

Reply #571045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO effective salary cap anymore. You can juggle the marquee salary to suit the $1mill cap, that's always been a no brainer GG

Reply #571053 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754