Dazz
Years ago

Time to Fire Hire? Or should he re-tire?

Rhymes aside, WTF has happened to him this season?

I don't think he was ever pegged a future star, but til now he has shown promise and improvement. Certainly he has looked like a good 3/4 option for the bench, going forward.

I wonder if its because many times this season they have effectively been using him as a 2/3? Many times he has been the "4th forward" on the court, so actually relegated to a SG role...
He has certainly been throwing up some bricks from outside.
Have they tried to re-invent him as a backup SG and it's failed?

As I mentioned in another thread, its hard to see the status quo persisting into the future. Unless Hire can somehow make this work, I think at least one of Redhage/Wagstaff/Hire needs to make way for a genuine 2 or 3 on the bench.

Topic #38712 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a bonafide scrub.

Reply #571525 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Consider the word 'chemistry'

Reply #571528 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He would be a perfect fit in Illawarra, he is a skilled rebounder and if that's his primary focus then in a team with a mindset so strongly on letting others grab the boards whilst they run the fast break... Foreman is a useless rebounder but with a rebounding Hire playing the 3 that wouldn't be such an issue.

Hire's issue is definitely that he is pushed out of position and Redhage is only playing the 3 this season so Hire has had to learn a different role, another problem is his lack of court time so he has to make an impact in 4 minutes of game time and unless he grabs rebounds then he isn't very effective.

He says he worked on his outside shot during off season but he hasn't improved much.

It wouldn't surprise me if Redhage retires this season... His minutes have really decreased and surely his hips will be feeling it especially when he wasn't expected to return to the court a few years ago

Reply #571540 | Report this post

It's a bit harsh to criticise him when he has not only been playing out of position all season, but the role he played in the previous few season has seen him rely on out-hustling bigger opponents, so he wasn't a highly skilled player in the first place. He's matching up on smaller quicker players because he's a better defender than the other bench players but it's not working for him.

It looks like his confidence is shot right now. When he committed his fourth turnover last night, I think even Gleeson felt sorry for him and left him on the court rather than dragging him.

Reply #571543 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"let's be clear. No team in the NBL is as deep as Perth, which can throw the Tall Blacks' starting point guard Jarrod Kenny at you, or first-choice players for several other clubs such as Jesse Wagstaff, Greg Hire or Mr Double-Double Tom Jervis OFF ITS BENCH."

LOL!!
Come on, Boti. It's quite possible to make a point without descending into complete bollocks.

Reply #571565 | Report this post

You missed the best part about being down a player not factoring in to their fatigue...

"If anything, it should have made life marginally easier for Perth coach Trevor Gleeson with one less player to try and satisfy with minutes."

Brilliant! Almost as good as the time he tried to prove the Cats didn't rest players in a 2014 dead rubber against Adelaide by stating that the Adelaide starters played more minutes than Perth's in that game.

Reply #571568 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh I didn't miss that part, I was going to quote it in a different thread.
Yes, I'm sure that being down our most important player made life way easier for Trev. It meant he finally didn't have to restrict the minutes of "first choice player for several other clubs, Greg Hire"

Reply #571569 | Report this post

And Jarrod Kenny, who was possibly the very last player signed by any club in the preseason. Literally the opposite of a first choice player.

Reply #571570 | Report this post

Hang on, it's gets even stupider. Right down the bottom of the article (in the space that he normally uses to wipe his arse until a knock knock joke appears) he gives a brief preview of today's game. He basically says the Hawks having already played this round while the "fresh" NZ team hasn't, is a factor why the Breakers start favourites.

Reply #571572 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's a bit harsh to criticise him when he has not only been playing out of position all season, but the role he played in the previous few season has seen him rely on out-hustling bigger opponents, so he wasn't a highly skilled player in the first place. He's matching up on smaller quicker players because he's a better defender than the other bench players but it's not working for him.

It looks like his confidence is shot right now.

That would seem to be very much the issue. Up until this year, he has by default played as a 4, maybe a 3/4, now he's playing a 2/3 type role, and not really getting the minutes. Last year he was probably the 8th man when everyone was fit, now he's the 10th.
But it still begs the question of what happens in the future. He needs to get back to a 3/4 role.

Reply #571626 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

U can't be a tough guy & have a hair bun. He needs to make a choice...

Reply #571678 | Report this post

Wildcats views  
Years ago

Besides TO's Hire's numbers are bang on what they've been the past 4 seasons, on per minute basis. Definitely playing out of position, and that maybe is contributing to extra TO's but basically what ur seeing from him is what he is. Can't really shoot or drive but great offensive rebounder and plays his tail off on D.

Reply #571740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is weak. personified by the anglicised surname. be proud of your origins.

Reply #571915 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

Who was the young Sudanese guy they had last season?. In the few games I saw him play I thought he showed a bit. He is a much better player then Hire.

Reply #571967 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Mathiang Muo
He was signed for 13~14 season but tore his Achilles before the season even started.
He was not contracted for 14~15, but stayed around as a training player and was subsequently signed as an injury replacement for Hire. He got limited opportunity and limited minutes and didn't really show much. Perhaps ironically? Last year with Hire out and Redhage (and sometimes Wagstaff or Jervis) starting we needed a backup forward, and Muo has always been touted as a swingman, but preference was given to U'U and Ross off the bench as potential shooters.
This season, we could do with a backup swingman.

Reply #571971 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Muo is from Sydney, perhaps the Kings should snap him up to fill their vacant spot?

Reply #571974 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

IIRC that's where his family settled after immigrating. Not sure about now, but he was playing in the WA SBL this year.

Reply #571979 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754