Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v United, Dec 23

It's Christmas time and the NBL is handing out the presents.

After a great start to the season going 9-0, United have lurched from disaster to disaster as if the rest of the NBL have worked out their game plan. Their last few games have been less than convincing culminating in the Kings opening a big can of kick-ass last round. Sydney by 15 - really? Jason "pistols" Cadee scoring 28 and Tommy Garlepp running amok like a giraffe in a china shop.

The Sixers had a break last round so had plenty of time to look at the videotapes over a beer and pizza at Joey's. Cheeky has reportedly had surgery for appendicitis and I'm sure there's more than enough female Sixers fans offering to take him round a warm bowl of chicken noodle soup to help in his recovery.

With Creeky out, that's a big opportunity for Nathan Sobey to step up.

United are looking fragile and shaky, particularly away. They will need an exceptional first quarter to silence what is likely to be a large parochial crowd of Croweaters looking to Kick a Vic, or at least Boo Bad Boy Bubbles if he flops.

Sixers by 6

Topic #38718 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

I tend to think Adelaide will actually win this one. Purely due to United's complete midseason meltdown. United have the weapons, more scoring options than any other team, yet they've forgotten how to put it together. The 36ers haven't been all that good this season, but they should be able to play well enough at home to get this one against a team in crisis.

Reply #571700 | Report this post

Years ago

far from convinced who will win this one - will be won on the night by whoever brings their game.
Looks like it is close to a sell out and with xmas - providing a decent game is produced - should be a good night

Reply #571705 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This game's worth 2 games.

If United can win, they'll go to 12-6, with the split over Adelaide who would fall to 8-10.

If Adelaide wins, they go to 9-9, with United falling to 11-7.

Considering that United's last 10 games include only 4 at home, and 6 against either Perth, NZ or Illawarra (all who comfortably beat UTD last time)...gosh, you wouldn't want to be in that position.

We're a long way out, but this game will go a long way towards determining 4th spot.

Reply #571715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see Melbourne United turn their form around and play some good basketball again. As a fan of Melbourne United it was good for me personally, which is the main thing I'm concerned about.

Reply #571718 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although in addition to my above post, it has to be said that Adelaide's last 10 games is quite tough as well.

Reply #571720 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Has Jack Soft ever tipped against the 6ers?

6ers are rubbish. United have dished up rubbish for over a month now. Be interesting to see if either of these teams can put on a show.

Reply #571723 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Three certainties in this game

1)Arguably the biggest collection of me first players outside of the NBA.

2)It will be a battle between two coaches who know SFA about any structure at either end of the court other than what can be created by individuals.

3) There wont be much defense played.

Reply #571724 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

If 6ers stick to switching defence, Melb will have Kickert and even Tomlinson nailing 3pters again. 6ers love playing melb back into form.

Reply #571733 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'm curious, how exactly does a ROFLcopter work anyway?

Reply #571736 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

36ers will surely have learnt from last time and won't keep switching, leaving Johnson to defend Goulding/Holt on the perimeter or Randle defending the low block....

From a bball perspective that's what makes this game interesting- last time each team were comfortably the better team in one respective half. 36ers owned the second half and part of it was their change in D.

Reply #571737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"36ers will surely have learnt from last time and won't keep switching"

In the quiet words of the virgin Mary, come again?

Reply #571739 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Nearly sold out it will be a cracker. Hopefully Adelaide win on a Jerome Randle buzzer beating 3 in 4OT. Final score 125-124. Jerome Randle with 31p 6a, Gibbo with 12p 10r 11a, Sobey with a few monster dunks. DJ with a 20p 20r. Ebi Ere to finally go ham and go for 38p. Wishful thinking.

Reply #571743 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You lost me at Ere scoring 38.

Reply #571745 | Report this post

Years ago

lucky if there is 150 tickets left

Reply #571747 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Why isn't this game underway? What timzone are Adelaide on?

As always, "it's the NBL, anything can happen" but I'm tipping MU. They are still one of the best teams in the comp.
As for 4th spot, I really don't see Adelaide being able to challenge from here.

Reply #571751 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Why isn't this game underway? What timzone are Adelaide on?"

One where the 23rd is tomorrow.

Reply #571752 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

ROFL, yeah getting so excited over CHristmas, I'm a day ahead.
Still tipping MU though

Reply #571755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Predict Sixers loss beaten by the 3 and switching defence. Not going to the game as i can't take one more loss if that is the case watching the same problems from the last few years persist with height and not spreading the shots and this season so much reliance on DJ is asking too much when he is a shooter yes including the perimeter but he is too busy getting bustled out this season with no one having his back like BJ did last season . So watching online where I am not drawn in to the agony of such a big crowd walking away disappointed and feeling let down. I am of the opinion the team can do it with not all the reliance on one little import and one more big would have been useful.. Still love Randle though so not a knock on him but the rest of the team can play together and get results as well. Good Luck Sixers.

Reply #571762 | Report this post

Years ago

half full or half empty ? - if you are reminiscing on previous performances - what about the recent final vrs melb ? - nobody saw that coming! - enjoy the night / sell out - life is like a box of chocolates

Reply #571764 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

When the Arena has a large crowd, there's a different feel to the game which helps the Sixers and tonight it is a big one.

Dec 23 is also "Festivus" so it's a good time to get around the aluminium pole and air some grievances.

Reply #571766 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Is Dan Kickert playing for MU? Important player in their system.

Reply #571767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh... we'll see... Creeks on court presence is underestimated.. Lets hope Matty stays fit tonight to help out DJ. But overplay Randle and Sobey defensively then we lose on the height needed at Melbourne's scoring end and they score big and will gladly exploit the switches and run some clever double screens and take that shot or drive and make it as well.

Reply #571768 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

19 seats left total. I wonder how many were given away? I presume you can take away 200-250 odd from the 7,800 capacity because of the RAA thing.

Depending on the amount of members who go, I suspect we'll see a good crowd of about 6,200-6,600

Reply #571775 | Report this post

Years ago

$10 tickets hard to pass up - it will be full - right time of year, no clashes with cricket etc, holidays - everything lines up and a good example of scheduling after research for maximum exposure

Reply #571787 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Sold Out!!!!

Reply #571789 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Not sure if this cut and paste HTML thing will work but I'll give it a go. Good cause, get behind it.

Reply #571791 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Or even better - donate to a better cause, such as an organisation that doesn't use its proceeds for anti-gay rights lobbying ;)

Reply #571792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we don't support an appeal that delivers food etc to the needy at Christmas because you disagree with one of the organisations beliefs.

Reply #571795 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^ Correct Anon, There are plenty of decent organisations that can supply the needy with food, donate to them.

Reply #571796 | Report this post

Years ago

36ers better bring their game tonight !

Reply #571803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Creek out tonight

Reply #571808 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The attendance has just been announced...

Reply #571815 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHA Demopoulos. What a wanker.

Reply #571817 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

What a game, it's had everything. Come on Sixers!

Reply #571818 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Geez.

My goodness.

Warrick just copped a hit in the chops and then got mugged. No call either time.

Did these refs take some $ in the back pocket at the half or what....

Reply #571819 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Goulding goes to the basket in a last ditch attempt to keep United in it.

Gets mugged.

No call.

This is getting tiring.

Although, it has to be said. If you wanna win a basketball game you need to rebound the ball.

Reply #571821 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Bring back the RealScoMo

Reply #571822 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sorry to say but Goulding is terribly overrated.

Reply #571823 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Jerome Randle just being interviewed by Shane Heal. A well spoken young man and not one who says "and uh" to start every sentence (in fact, he didn't say that once).

A good win by the 36ers in front of a full house.

Reply #571824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People were saying Goulding should be in the NBA....HAHAHA.

Their is a reason why he didnt make it....Scouts are not stupid.

Reply #571825 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

It might be time for Warrick to start, or bring goulding off the bench try something different

Reply #571826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United's problems were all masked at the start of the season when their flukey 3s were falling...

Now that they dont, it exposes so many issues that they have.

Reply #571827 | Report this post

Anonymoose  
Years ago

Not being able to make a shot after being fouled is why he isn't in the NBA? Interesting premise.

How they turned a clear USF into only 2 shots, then gave Adl every call there on after was the turning point in that game.

Refs really screwed the pooch, once again

Reply #571828 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Mitch Creek looking very unprofessional on the sidelines there, in sneakers and short shorts! He did at least have the club polo on, but come on NBL, step up the game- black pants, black shoes and club polo- not hard, heck amateurs and semi-pros can, even juniors do it!

Reply #571829 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That no-USF call was absolutely atrocious.

Is there an off-ball foul rule in the NBL? 99% sure there isn't in FIBA.

Reply #571830 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Gotta give Gibbo and the Sixers team defence some credit for Goulding's bad game tonight. He has killed us in the past, but we gave him absolutely no space to put the ball on the floor and get his shooting rhythm.

Reply #571832 | Report this post

Years ago

that rejection by 6er - didn't the crowd just love it...

Reply #571833 | Report this post

Years ago

well done by 36ers - a must win for the entire club - big night, lot at stake - these are the sort of games that will get people back

Reply #571834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The premiership will come down to NZ and Perth.

The Hawks currently are like what United were doing at the start, shooting the daylights from behind the arc.

When that dries up.......

36ers rely way way too heavily on Randle. Just put Martin on him. Outside him, they dont have much.

Perth to me are the over whelming favourites. If they stay healthy, the premiership is for them.

Reply #571835 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Perth are far from the 'overwhelming' favourites, their in the hunt obviously but not clear cut. The Hawks unlike United have the proven stars to continue the hot shooting and will causes all sorts of issues come playoff time in a 3 game series. IF United continue to self implode, coach and all, the 36ers may scrape in to the playoffs and make it easy for some team to get to the GF haha

Reply #571836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, history suggests that the Hawks will slow down.

The Wildcats are clear favs imo because of there INSIDE presence...high percentage plays will come out on top in the end.

Perth now look a little bored. Waiting for the post season.

Reply #571837 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

You sound hopeful more than anything. Hawks will be around and the Breakers have more weapons for mine. Cats Haven't got the shooters.

Reply #571838 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Perth come up big when they need to though. They are easily the best at closing out games, which will be important come playoffs.

Reply #571839 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really entertaining game, great atmosphere, highlight plays, everything really. A shame it got taken out of the players hands at the end.

Kind of good that Melbourne got screwed by the refs tonight, puts to bed any conspiracy theories and just shows it's home town bias.

Strange that the two refs at the centre of the Melbourne v New Zealand debacle are repeatedly being rostered together, including tonight. Sometimes you just scratch your head.

Reply #571840 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Paul, can you confirm the rule about fouling off the ball?

Reply #571841 | Report this post

Anonymoose  
Years ago

What would you do to fix the issues with the refs Paul?

If it's the same guys that cannot handle any kind of pressure then perhaps they just cannot ref at this level.

It would also be good if they would learn that they aren't supposed to be the centre of attention in the 4th quarter.

Be consistent the entire game. Ignore the crowd. Don't let any of the Coaches act like babies (pretty much all of them throw tantrums that deserve T's). That'd fix a lot of the issues.

Reply #571842 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What has Teys done wrong to be in the dog house. He is a hustle guy wish he would play more minutes.

Reply #571843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal, Wagstaff are very good shooters...Wait till Martin gets his rythm back.

I am not a Wildcats supporter but to me, there inside presence with Nate, Knight and Jervis will have the final say.

Reply #571844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal, Wagstaff are very good shooters...Wait till Martin gets his rythm back.

I am not a Wildcats supporter but to me, there inside presence with Nate, Knight and Jervis will have the final say.

Reply #571845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very enjoyable game to watch with some great skill on offer. DJ hot from outside in the first half, Warrick's huge dunk, Sobey's big block and Randle just being Randle. Little fella's a star.

36ers win, Melbourne loses = X-mas has come early

Reply #571848 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

The main difference between the hawks and united is that the hawks have a centre that likes to bang inside, block shots, pull down boards and get the second chance shots for his shooters. Melbs centre sits at the 3 pt line

Reply #571850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What would you do to fix the issues with the refs Paul?

If it's the same guys that cannot handle any kind of pressure then perhaps they just cannot ref at this level."

I wrote the below piece on this a few weeks ago after the Melbourne v NZ debacle. We have a number of refs who have been in the league for many years and continue to ref poorly.

It's time to get rid of those guys, it's like an NBL team having 30 year olds as their 10th men, they aren't getting better, find someone who might have a higher ceiling.

http://www.fiba.com/news/common-sense-prevails-now-structural-change

Reply #571851 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Who were the refs?
Missed my 11 home game since 1985.

Reply #571852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vaughn Mayberry, Matt Townsend and Raoul Kirsten.

Reply #571853 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Now the Sixers don't play again until 8 Jan and next home game is not until 20 Jan. Strange scheduling with only one game in 28 days in a compacted season.

New scoreboard and sound system will apparently be up and running for the next home game.

Reply #571854 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We're actually getting a new scoreboard? Like, for real? And a new sound system?
It really IS Christmas!

Reply #571855 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sobey should have been assessed a USF. But missing the resulting free throws made it a good foul even so.

Demopoulis is an idiot for continuing to argue after the crowd got on him and started riding the umps. Drained the momentum out of United.

LV, maybe a couple of uncalled ones at the end, but Holt was also gifted with a couple of bailout calls. Blaming the refs for that loss is symptomatic of why United have won 2 of their last 10.

Reply #571856 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I didn't think that Sobey foul was USF, he hacked at the ball. United's coach created the turning point in that one, just a complete brain fart and Goulding was absolutely livid with him. That team is in bad shape mentally.

Reply #571857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are incompetent. This allows Randle to get away with flopping that has the potential to wreck the League.

At the other end, I am no fan but Warrick was mauled so many times on a no call that it was as bad to the other extreme.

Because you are a "small person" ( I hope that is the acceptable term for midget/dwarf/gnome) does not mean you deserve to get a call every time someone is in danger of interfering with your clear path to the basket.

Meanwhile, because you are tall and have some scoring talent at the other end, apparently AFL rules should be applied.

Even worse, the incompetent refs let DD who cannot coach a scrap make an arse of himself and go largely unpunished. If he was ejected, MU would have been competently coached and won. He should have been ejected early, but got to see the game out. All in all, a n E grade competition being shed up when we are all hoping for something great.

Reply #571858 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Was definitely good to see Joey Wright not win the annoying whinging ass award tonight.

Reply #571859 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I didn't think that Sobey foul was USF, he hacked at the ball"

He also pushed an airborne player in the back.

Reply #571860 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I really wish I had been there to see that performance if the comments about the refs was correct.

There;s a first time for everything.

Reply #571861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The United will miss the finals, brutal schedule to finish the season.

sydney once
perth twice
new zealand twice
cairns twice
adelaide once
illawara twice

5 outta 6 on the road to finish the season

They need to find a way to turn this around or they're done

Reply #571862 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

DJ - 31 pts, 16 rebounds, 1 assist. 5/7 outside the arc.
Randle - 29 pts, 7 rebounds, 9 assists
Ere - 9 pts, 4 rebounds, 1 assist

Melbourne had 5 players with 10+ points

Holt - 12
Blanchfield - 10
Kickert - 20
Goulding - 10 (3/8 threes and 1 FT. He was 0/5 on 2's)
Warwick - 20

Adelaide shot at 45% while Melbourne managed 36%.
Adelaide were 33% from the 3 point line, Melbourne were 29%.
Adelaide were 16/20 (80%) from the FT line. Melbourne were 18/27 (66%).

Adelaide won the rebounding 52-36. We grabbed 16 offensive boards to United's 9.

We dished out 13 assists to Melbourne's 10.

Melbourne had less turnovers (8-11) and more steals (4-3). Melbourne also had 4 blocks to our 2.

Adelaide committed 21 fouls to Melbourne's 20.

The tale of the tape.

Reply #571863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's your point?

Reply #571864 | Report this post

Anonymoose  
Years ago

"It's time to get rid of those guys, it's like an NBL team having 30 year olds as their 10th men, they aren't getting better, find someone who might have a higher ceiling."

I agree 100% They must bring in new blood and see if they are capable of controlling and also allowing a Game to flow. Being consistent and not bowing to the Home Crowd is also a must.

I feel that Aylen has, for the past season or so, decided he is "above" the NBL and is quite rude and arrogant about how he refs. It's not a good look and it sends a message to every other official that they can do it too.

For the people saying the Sobey call was correct, I will wager that if it was Tomlinson fouling DJ or Randle you'd all want USF and possible ejection.

Reply #571865 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

My point?

That United should have done a lot better considering Adelaide only really had 2 guys keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

But they were killed on the boards, especially offensive. And they hurt themselves at the foul line missing 9 shots.

Goulding only hitting 3 of his 13 shots, Holt 2 of 10 and Blanchfield 4 of 11 didn't help either.

Reply #571866 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

we win, we attack the refs.
we lose, we attack the refs.

gee whiz, they get it wrong/they get it right.

whoever suggested they were gods gift to baskeball reffing stuffed up big time.

sobey: usf? no way! **wanna borrow my glasses** ??

Reply #571867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same thing was USF earlier in the game. No one complains if they are called consistently. How hard can it be? How many years have those three refs been around?

Reply #571869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't that long ago that many Adelaide fans were complaining about having the worst import pairing in the league ... until one gets injured and suddenly you have a Euroleague-calibre import who's an MVP candidate!

And on United, it seems they have been well and truly scouted. Having a limited repertoire of offensive sets may have worked when everyone was firing and players were playing instinctive individual basketball, but once teams started making defensive adjustments they had no real counter sets.

Liam Flynn covered these problems really well in his pieces on the Pick and roll site. We may be seeing some of the limitations of Demopoulos's NBA coaching background as he transitions to a FIBA style league with a more condensed schedule.

Reply #571870 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

sydney once
perth twice
new zealand twice
cairns twice
adelaide once
illawara twice

Wow....the United could, based on current form, lose about 7 or 8 of those and be 14 losses.

Reply #571871 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Great game for a sellout crowd to witness, and quite a few highlights too.

DJ's first half was fiiiiiine. 5/5 three's were brilliant. Randle is an absolute star - he has hustle, he can drive the ball, he can shoot the ball and he can dish the ball (some brilliant passes tonight). Gotta find a way to keep him here for next year.

United's coach..."foul waxy, foul waxy, i'll tell the umpires we're fouling waxy"....except 1. you can't foul the guy who doesn't have the ball and 2. waxy wasn't on the court lol.

He wasn't happy about the (lack of) USF and about Kelly (i think) not being able to talk to his own players. But he lost it, and it didn't help United's cause.

That overturn of the USF was a joke in all honesty, that needed to be reviewed, surely they'd have the technology to review that. That was a bit of a game turner.

It felt like the 36ers had some positive calls towards the end, crowd certainly gets into it. Although there was some inconsistency in calling which also assisted United, but overall in that fourth quarter, it has to be said not much went Melbourne's way.

Melbourne have themselves to blame though, the wide open three's missed, if you're going to put them up, get them in when you're wide open. Rebounding rebounding rebounding. United were terrible (except for Warrick crashing the Offensive boards).

Reply #571874 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Do the other teams deny Daniel "Zoolander" Kickett his right hand?

In the 3 games this season between the Sixers and United he has had great success when the Sixers let him go to the basket with his right hand. On the few occasions when they have denied him that option he has struggled to score with the same consistency and looks considerably less comfortable.

Reply #571875 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"you can't foul the guy who doesn't have the ball"

There's no FIBA rule to that effect, yand the ref didn't mention anything about it, so I'm not sure that's true.

"surely they'd have the technology to review that."

The technology is irrelevant if the rules don't allow it.

Reply #571877 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Marcus, United look spent.

sydney once (W)
perth twice (L, L)
new zealand twice (L, L)
cairns twice
adelaide once
illawara twice

There's probably one certain win, and four certain losses, with 5 games 50/50.

Reply #571879 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'd have Illawarra down as losses as well.

The Adelaide game will be huge.

Reply #571880 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

koberulz - Repeating what Heal said in commentary, he could be incorrect but I have heard this before in the NBL so i've been under the impression this is the case.

And given each game is telecast now, USF ought to be reviewable under the rules if it isn't already, this is one of those (perhaps few) times the NBA rules have it right.

Reply #571881 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

koberulz, potentially, there's nothing but duck eggs for Melbourne for the rest of the season.

They appear to be mentally soft and their game plan has been disected to such a point where other teams have worked them out. They have failed to alter their plan and if Demopoulos does a Marty Clarke and sticks with a failed plan, they could tumble out of the top 4.

Reply #571884 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Great result for the Sixers heading into the holiday period.
My how the mighty Melbourne have fallen from grace.

Reply #571885 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

DJs best sixers game, and american import pg giving him assists instead of wanting to be top scorer. Pretty hard to beat.

Reply #571886 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I've never heard of a specific off the ball foul rule, I think it would be up to the ref to determine if it was unsportsmanlike or not.

Reply #571887 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

As a basketball fan and not a Adelaide or MU follower, I thought the way the game was reff'd was poor.

The number of times that there was solid contact made that had an impact on the play and a foul wasn't called, then seeing the refs fall for the ball handler throwing his head back and playing for a foul, which was called.

The foul from Sobey on the big fella was definitely an unsportsman foul. Warrick had a clear dunk, Sobey had no angle at all to make a legit play on the ball, he shoved him in the back, and he used excessive force.

But this was one of many calls that the refs got wrong.

Difficult situation but from all of the games that I have watched (nearly every game this season) the one common issue is the way the game is getting called.

The NBL has made significant progress this year and the refs need support to make sure they are not 'holding' the progress back.

Some of calls that I find the most annoying:
- When players are making a play and driving to the hoop, clearly the D makes contact and bumps them off their line which impacts the shot. No call. Then D gets the rebound and there is minimal contact and the original offensive player gets called for a foul.

- Offensive player makes a good play and penetrates, defense jumps in their path, has 'limited' position and then flops backwards. Offense gets called for a charge.

- Ball handler forces contact and then throws their head back, and the ref falls for it and rewards them with a call against the D.

On another subject, very disappointed with MU head coach for a while now. His timeouts are terrible, the instructions to players a basic to say the least, his rotations aren't reflective on what is happening in the game...

Reply #571888 | Report this post

Years ago

it was a strong foul from behind - IMO a hand was on the back but not pushing - the physicality of the foul was on the shooting arm from behind - ball out of reach for the defender - watching it in replay I can see both sides - IMO a 50/50 call

Reply #571890 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Demopoulis;'Let's get rid of the johnson enigma.'
Creek;'Joey put something up dj's sleeve.'

Reply #571900 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with Interested in hating those calls. I can't wait for the first ref with the guts to issue a warning for throwing the head back in order to get the foul call. It happens too much in Europe, often when TV replay shows no foul happened

Reply #571910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Fox Sports/NBL production company/whoever,

I know you are trying to improve the coverage with additional angles but when you are at the Dome DO NOT BY ANY MEANS SHOW ANY EXTERIOR footage of the stadium. The place looks like a complete dump when you film it from the outside. Only show an exterior if it's a sexy stadium.

Reply #571918 | Report this post

Years ago

it is what it is - walking amongst the people is a nice touch

Reply #571925 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well done Sixers!

On the officiating, well the way I see it they are torn between making the calls they need to and servicing the NBL's 'Hardball' tag...

This is a key aspect to why they are unsure of themselves and why they are so inconsistent, IMO that is...

It must be hard enough to referee at this level, imagine copping the shit they have all season and then being reminded that the NBL is the toughest league in the world, apparently, I mean really!

Reply #571963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754