Anonymous
Years ago

South Sudanese tournament at Frankston?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/12-men-arrested-over-massive-brawl-in-seaford/news-story/bc4030ae232a101f51e0e68fd9e02eef

Topic #38724 | Report this topic

Years ago

JUST NOT ON

Reply #571944 | Report this post

Years ago

puts me off going near any stadium in that area - not a good look for basketball

Reply #571945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to clarify as the OP I am not saying that is the case, I was asking if the reported incidents were related to the tournament.

Reply #571947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that the stabbing that led to a massive fight outside the police station?

Reply #571948 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

I was there as a coach for one of the Adelaide teams and saw a lot of the fighting....nothing to do with the tournament, there's a train station across the road and it spilled into the stadium carpark. None of the guys involved were basketball people.

This was a Frankston issue, not a basketball issue. Please don't mix them up or let the media tell you otherwise. It was very scary but everyone in the stadium was safe, the police were there quick.

BTW it was an amazing tournament, very well run and a lot of fun with amazing talent on display, Best to focus on that I think.

Reply #571955 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Involving these kids in sport is a great way to keep them from falling into that type of delinquent behaviour that can lead to serious incidents like this.

Reply #571962 | Report this post

Years ago

as long as that sort of behavior is not brought with them into the sport - hard to make a cultural change unless people are strongly driven internally

Reply #571965 | Report this post

Chilled  
Years ago

The media reports inferred that it was related to the tournament...?
I hope not

Reply #571980 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

As per above it had nothing to do with the tournament.

Don't believe the media bullshit.

Reply #571984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont find it fair to blame the tournament, but it would also be naive to think that this would have happened on this day at that station had the tournament not been running there.

Reply #571985 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#955. No not a Frankston issue. They were mainly from suburbs north and west of the city and some were down to watch the games. They are athletic players and can go far with the right mind set but some of the followers are a different mind set. Doesn't do a lot for the image of basketball.

Reply #571992 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It had absolutely nothing to do with the tournament.

Reply #571998 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #571999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, so these guys from the many reaches of Melbourne's suburbs, hours of travel away, decided to congregate at the train station near Frankston Basketball Stadium hosting the SS A SS by coincidence?

I don't think anyone is saying the tournament is not a great thing, but that seems like misinformation of the proportion of some of your articles constructed on National Champs you don't attend.

Reply #572001 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Easy to take pot shots from the safety of anonymity!

Statement by SSANBA on the incident: A STATEMENT FROM THE SSANBA

Report on incident including CCTV footage: One man stabbed, 12 arrested in vicious Melbourne brawl

Who really knows the motives behind some of the people involved? Terrible incident that should in no way detract from what was by all reports a great event.

And note: I have never written an article about the National champs!

Reply #572004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No players were involved is the statement.

Fans, families, supporters may be fairly regarded as being connected to the tournament.

Reply #572006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach you are a dick. It's Seaford not Frankston. Just another FDBA stuff up.

Reply #572074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's was meant to read coach don't be a dick. It's Seaford not Frankston.

Reply #572075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately whilst the players may not have been connected directly, their origins will attract this type of behaviour, which is really sad, as many try to get away from that very same mentality and get involved in sports and community only to find they just can't escape what they are trying to leave behind. It's time police and others stopped all the PC bull crap and ignored the nationality and skin colour and treated them for what they really are, just trouble making thugs , it's nothing to do with Frankston Seaford or any other place it's how these trouble makers get their kicks

Reply #572180 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Thanks for the abuse. Fine it was Seaford not Frankston.

I'm from Adelaide, it's called Frankston basketball stadium, one would usually be safe to presume it's Frankston. Hardly worth calling someone a dick over.

Reply #572181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The intentions of having such a tournament are great but unfortunately it doesn't matter where you have it,there will still be an element who want to cause trouble. I would be very surprised if Frankston host the event again due to the negative publicity it has caused.

Reply #572183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These bloke blues back at home and bring trouble with them now!

Ruin it for the others

Reply #572187 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754