Jack Toft
Years ago

Kings v Breakers, Dec 27

What a game to kick off after Christmas. Kings on the bottom of the table host the rampaging Breakers at Sydeney Olympic Sports Centre, yes, you heard right Sydeney Olympic Sports Centre and possibly an open air game.

Khazzouh is out and Ben Knight is in. Yes, this game is full of surprises. Ben Knight, Asst coach and as such knows all the plays, comes in for the injured Khazzouh.

This is either going to be the coup of the season, or else Sydney will fall flat on their face like a kid with a new skateboard for Christmas.

Not even Cadee and Thornton can pull this one off and so I'm tipping Breakers by 8.

Topic #38731 | Report this topic

three points  
Years ago

NZ by streaks

Reply #572019 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Not if they start like they did against the Hawks but even saying that there is a good chance they can run the Kings down

Reply #572025 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The mass confusion and subsequent review of Brandt's continuation play was just ridiculous.

Three reviews in the first 5 minutes: amateur-hour from the referees!

Reply #572027 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

This is one low skilled ugly display.

Reply #572029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a decent atmosphere and crowd in there?

Reply #572030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tied up at 1/2time.

Reply #572032 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ put the foot down in the second term and looked like they were going to pull away, good job by the Kings to tie it up, Cadee having another quality game.

Reply #572033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is a little whining punk!
He complains on nearly every call.
Go Breakers

Reply #572034 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Webster with 38 as nz win by 10. Has to be right up there with Ogilvy in the MVP decision.

Reply #572035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster Vs Kings was the diff. Bottom placed Kings and any other team will lose to an schooling by Webster like that.

Reply #572036 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's been a few years since I'd last been in that venue - have to say, much better than I remembered. Great crowd, great atmosphere. I think weeknights are going to be very quiet, though.

As for the game, Webster was just too good in that 4th. Cedric did a great job of keeping Sydney in the game in the first half... I was actually excited any time he had the ball and took it inside the arc, because it was a near-guarantee that he'd find himself off his feet and passing under the basket, which would end up being deflected or stolen. Entertaining game though, and I'm pretty happy with how Sydney played. I expected a blowout.

I thought Brandt had a nice game and looks like a keeper, maybe even a starter, for next season. Tommy got hot again, Cadee played well, Knight didn't look woefully out of place (just woefully undersized on those boxouts on NZ's bigs), and Hill had some moments (good and bad).

Thornton's line isnt impressive, but I actually thought he was real good today. On defense definitely, but even on offense he looked good every time he looked to attack the hoop. IMO we should be running pnr's for him most possessions with instructions to attack - he is being criminally underutilised given our issues putting points on the board.

James.... well, I think he had the right mindset today by looking to attack, but he either missed or was clobbered each time. Just can't seem to get into a groove, and doesn't appear to have a great attitude either. Didn't shake hands with opponents before the game either, which is poor form (although looked like he had some mental warmup or something he was doing at the time).

Reply #572040 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I agree Angus, Jackson was terrible last night. Complaining when fouls weren't called rather than getting his ass back on d and getting caught of his feet regularly. NZ were bad at looking after the ball with brain fart passes the norm and Sydney just picked them off and converted them to points and fouls.

NZ will need to get their act together quickly if they want a fifth title this season.

Reply #572133 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Cadee is a little whining punk!
He complains on nearly every call.
Go Breakers

ROFL... a Breakers fan complaining about players whinging? jesus, for such a hard man, Mika is the biggest whinging bitch in the league...

All in all, I thought the Kings did better than expected, they just don't have the offensive weapons, or a defensive plan for Webster, again... They leave the perimeter open way too many times allowing good shooters to get their eye in and the confidence to make the tougher shots...

Reply #572174 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"or a defensive plan for Webster, again..."

Are you serious? In the first three games against Sydney Webster shot 20/66 and he had only one more assist than turnovers. No team had limited him better this season.

Reply #572178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re players whinging at refs, it's far far easier to list those that don't than those that do, it's a bit of a league-wide epidemic.

Reply #572179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3,561 crowd which is pretty good.

Reply #572182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't speak for the earlier match-ups, but I watched the second half of this game and the Kings D on Webster was far from stellar.

Reply #572184 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No shit, he scored 38!

Reply #572190 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Paul, is he known for his assists though? I don't have the game stats on me as yet, but I'd wager that assists wouldn't be a category that would accurately determine Webster's worth to his team?

They've done ok on him overall, I guess I'm just remembering the final quarters where he's got it back going, and maybe influenced by their overall poor perimter defence in allowing shooters to get open shots in general...

Reply #572223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Wookie assist or not he is known by every player in the NBL as a great player and therefore shouldn't get open shots so easy as he did against the kings. It showed a lack of coaching from the kings coaching staff lead by connolly. The Kings defense on webster like every week was atrocious!!

I will take him over Thornton anyday!!

Reply #572225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I predict Chris Goulding will have 40pts against the kings on wednesday with or without childress.

Reply #572227 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754