Very Old
Years ago

LJ released by caps !

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/lauren-jackson--reaction-from-canberra-capitals--20151230-glx6yc.html

6 games in 4 years, quite sad actually, Grafs last contracted season as well.

Topic #38758 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunate, gross waste of money.

Reply #572396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a scandal predictable from the beginning. If LJ was good to play she would not leave Europe in the first place. Also, is this not mostly public money? is anyone being held accountable? LJ with a very lucrative career behind her should not be the first priority to pour basketball's scarce resources in this country.

Reply #572449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the thing it's public money which should go towards fixing roads, playgrounds or whatever not lining the pockets of an already rich pro basketball player.

Also as per that article she was supposedly given the 3 year $1 million deal so she wouldn't need to play overseas but then she went and played in China anyway and injured her knee.

Shouldn't that have voided the contract?

Reply #572459 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^ You would think so.
Just imagine the team the Caps could have put together over the last few seasons with an extra million!

Reply #572460 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The contract was for three seasons over five years, so she was able to play overseas too in that time.

Reply #572461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why pay her $333K a season then?

Reply #572462 | Report this post

Just Old  
Years ago

Has the clown called Kristina Keneally anything to do here ? her non-administration of BA coincided with this I think. Or is this solely a Capital territory stuff up ?

Reply #572474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I think it is a bit of a stuff up LJ has probably earned the right to get carried for a year or two. Done more for basketball and certainly female basketball than all except one or two others.

Reply #572478 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine the government side of things would've viewed this as an investment in female sport/health, right? Always going to be a bit risky.

Reply #572573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could have been great and I recall some thoughts around opals and better preparations etc being thrown around.

It ended up being a huge waste of cash but it was worth the risk as its sport and you can never predict injuries...also if they were smart they'd have insurance in place to cover the potential losses if a minimum number of games weren't played to minimise the 'real' on paper loss.

Reply #572578 | Report this post

Just Old  
Years ago

The problem is my friends, LJ came here injured. She came because no euro team was willing to pay her anything like the genius in Canberra would.

Reply #572591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754