Anonymous
Years ago

The Demise of Woodville?

the first week of trials were held sunday and rumours flying around that both the U18 & U20 age groups are not looking very deep at all.

U18 - 3 returnin div 1's, 2 div 2's, 1 div 3

U20 - 3 current U18 div 1's leaving to play socially leaving a max of 3 goin up to 20s, 4 U18 div 2's playing on, 2 under 20 div 2's returnin, the numbers of U20 div 3's returnin are up in the air + the returnin aba/U20 div 1 players

certainly not the plethora of players the club would be looking to form its div 1/2 squads from to stay near the top of the ladder next season...

are we seeing the start of a lean patch for woodville in the up coming years

what are your thoughts, also how are the other clubs shaping up for next season?

Topic #3877 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

I think some of you Woodville people need to realize that the future of your club is your junior grades not the 18 and 20s. Every club experieinces loss ib numbers at 18/20s so to say that your club is failing is wrong. I think a few too many people on this forum are worried about their own grade and not their club.

Other clubs will have more of an idea once their trials are finished. We shold know moreat the end of the month.

Reply #45175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Know
You are right,
Look at southern what happened to the seniors this yr? They have realised and now looking at the younger players for the future. Realising they are still a young club just wait 2 or 3 yrs.

Reply #45180 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I didn't see a lot of Southern this year but seeing their stats they certainly have young squads. Maybe there will be a clean out in the men with some more new players? We will just wait and see.

Reply #45181 | Report this post

stevie nicks  
Years ago

Anonymous, youre obivously from woodville otherwise how would you know whos leaving and whos not, do you know why some of these players are going to this social team? there are still a few 18s moving up, its hard to say if there will 2 or 3 teams in the u/20s next season.

Reply #45187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i just think ever since vera craig has gone woodville has gone up shit creek. i think the wrong people are running it, because thy think its THEIR club and are making the wrong decsions just to make them happy

Reply #45190 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

anonymous, any specific person(s) you are refering to who are making decisions to suit themselves.

Also, the juniors who "make" the club are already playing ABA. I'm pretty sure the ABA squad is predominantly the best from u20's from the club, with the senior players, apart from reesy, are early 20's. This should create a stable enviropnment for the mens team for a number of years. I think you need to look at the juniors below u18's to get a more accurate situation the club is in.

Reply #45195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im not naming names, its not right.

but im not refering to the players or just under 20's.

im talking about all age groups from under 10's to all divisions in seniors

Woodville has definatly gone down hill since Vera has gone

Reply #45197 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think things were bad before Vera left.

Reply #45200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes they were bad but now there just shocking. i think woodville needs to get someone new. someone who has no past experience with the club. but someone who knows what they are doing and who will do i good job

Reply #45202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who is everyone blaming for the woodville problems.
the committee--all volunteers and do the best that they can, but are probably over worked because they cant get any helpers.
the players---or the lack there of
the coaches--all volunteers again and doing the best they can
OR is it the critics from within who are happy to bitch and tell everyone how it should be done, but never put up their hands to be part of a solution!!!!!!!!!

Reply #45203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous

You know all volunteers from all clubs do a hell of a lot to support clubs. I think it deeper than people think ?

Reply #45205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

volunteers dont get the respect either. No thanks no nothing

Reply #45206 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I don't think that gettting someone from outside the club is always ideal. There has to be someone who the club can employ as a development officer to help get the club up there again. It does take time and hard work but internal fighting does not help.

Reply #45208 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I will take some liberty to alter one of JFKs famous quotes - "Ask not what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club!"

As someone wrote above, be part of the solution - no matter what club you are in. The more effort everyone puts in, the better the whole state of basketball will be.

- If you don't like the standard of umpiring - pick up a whistle.
- If you don't like the standard of coaching - pick up a white board.
- If you don't like the standard of administration - pick up a pen!
- If you don't like the standard of my posts - pick up a keyboard :-)

Don't wait for the silver bullet, be the bullet...

Reply #45216 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

As a WDBC life member and a volunteer of over 18 years it totally frustrates me to see nameless people who come on to a public forum and denigrate our club.

Vera Craig as much as I respected her has gone. The people who are in charge of the club have been in place well before her death.

If you have legimate concerns you should approach the club and not bitch namelessly in a public forum.

Do you realise the harm you cause your club?

Or do you just treat this as a forum that doesn't get read by many? Think again for every person that reads this 10 or so get to hear about it.

Better still our AGM is due next month, why not turn up and voice your concerns and perhaps stand for a committee.

Please be proactive not reactive and for the sake of the players, parents and volunteers of a great club don't wash your perceived dirty linen in public.

Unfortunately people only seem to put people down. Very few praise those hard working behind the scenes people who get precious thanks and very little help, but are hung out to dry when something doesn't seem to go their way.

I have been around basketball a very long time. And problems come and go at all clubs.

Let us concentrate on our great men's ABA team in consecutive grand finals with many home grown youngsters. Look at our emerging junior girls like Sharna, Kelly and Lyndall.

Pick up the phone and make your complaint in person. Don't make us the laughing stock of other clubs.

Reply #45218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lyn and Pegs,

You have hit the nail on the head!! The blunt message to all of the whingers out there, for every Club, needs to be

"Put up or Shut up!"

ie, if you have an issue, help out to fix it or stop bitching about it.

Don't feel bad, Lyn, it DOES happen at every Club.

Reply #45220 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Well said, but i really think that these guys are only interested in themselves.

Reply #45223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if people voice their opinions will they listern. this is a serious question. i would like an honest answer

Reply #45225 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

(#45225)
you want an honest answer yet won't put your name to your post?

why put it on a public forum that goes everywhere and with a heading like the demise of woodville drags everyone's attention

have you spoken to the JDO's have you spoken to the president John Marshman, have you approached Dave Hardy or Barb Breavington?

Or are you hanging the club out to dry in front of the basketball public of south australia and australia.

Does this help the situation or make it worse, does it make kids leave because they think the club is declining because of your ill advised post.

As i said be proactive this is not the forum.

Ring the club, get a meeting together of concern parents or players if need be.

But like I said before it does no club a service to have things like this discussed by nameless people.

It is so easy to sit behind a keyboard and type to your heart's content you have been given the avenue's to voice your concerns.

don't expect to do much more than harm the club by discussing them on here.

Reply #45227 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

And talking about discussing things on here I best be back to work cause my boss pays me to be proactive at work not on Isaac's great Hoops Forum :)

Go the green train.

Reply #45228 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Keep the work going Lyn. Unfortunately every club has these kind of people and you will never get rid of them.

Reply #45229 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

look i no our old ages aren't as strong as they once were but we had alot of kids at the younger try outs yesterday and with some work things will happen. so get the F**K off our case and worry bout ya own clubs!! there r alot of ppl working very had and doing there best, and crap like this just doesnt help

Reply #45263 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I whole heartedly agree with the comments from Pegs, Take Luck and Lyn.

The fact that the "person" trying to denigrate the Woodville club name refuses to put their name to a post really casts doubts over what they are trying to acheive.

If you dont like the way things are run, come to the AGM when it's on. Put your hand up for a coaching role, or an admin role.

Perhaps you could put your hand up to be trained on score table or stats and be a game night volunteer.

Or perhaps you just dont have the cojones, and will remain a nameless, pathetic little troll like you are right now.

People like you dont deserve to be involved with a club like Woodville, in fact any of the proud clubs that are part of the organisation in this state.

Maybe go join the Bowhill Primary School Under 8's.

(And if you dont know where Bowhill is go to the RAA and buy a map - buy yourself a clue while your there too!)

Reply #45272 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

...or phone a friend if its actually possible!

Why do people decide to air their clubs internal issues on this site?

I thought ppl woulda learnt their lesson after the bullshit
"SOUTHERN/TIGERGIRL" posts of 2004.

Reply #45283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont see whats wrong with the 20's anyway i think they will have a good group next year like they do every year. and whats up with lyn not coaching next year, shes a wicked coach and a lovely person to go with it.

Reply #45285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos the u20 coaches for div 1 and 2 at woodville next season if lyns gone?

I think one issue the creator of this thread was trying to say was that woodvilles best age groups are infact the u18 and u20s in the junior grades. Loss of players to social ball should be the ones looked at causing damage to the club as well if this thread is going to be named as a reason.

But its just a few players and there are many juniors coming up at every club im sure they will be alright.

Reply #45305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly all clubs have bad apples and if they are bad why are they there especially if they don't want to be.

Woodville has proven over the years that they can produce very good juniors.

And they will continue to do so despite what some small minded people believe.

Reply #45309 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

i dont no for sure, but i think lynn is taking some time for her self and not coaching as many teams. maybe concentrating on her girls team that she has some very good players. (5 or so sasi players) which is fair enough with all the work she does for the club. its a sad thing for my self to not be able to have lynn as my coach but thats the way things happen sometimes. the coaches are Greg Breavington (spelling?) who is the ABL mens assistant coach and wayne develin who is this years div 2 coach. Hope that awnsers some questions

Reply #45317 | Report this post

The Hammer  
Years ago

who would say she would have been your coach take luck

Reply #45321 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

hahaha, good point hammer

Reply #45323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats good coaching im sure the numbers will be alright. Is it confirmed that their is no div 3 team?

On a side note I believe Wayne is coaching a Final tonight for the mens good luck to them!

Reply #45482 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

i hardly think woodville is in demise making the abl GF
the problems they have at woodville is no different to many other clubs
the real obvious thing to me is depth
woodville are in a better state than west in some areas u14/12/10 girls

Reply #45660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont forget 16 Girls they had about 40 girls at trials

Reply #45667 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

so will this mean 5 u16 teams?
or 4?

it would be great to see Lynn focus on the girls rather than spreading herself too thinly everywhere.

what about other grades?

Reply #45806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABL Champs. Says it all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #46044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not bagging woodville so epople dont get upset. but thats in seniors not in juniors. its a completly different thing

Reply #46078 | Report this post

travel592  
Years ago

Fantastic effort by the men - now to spend some money on the women's team and get a few players to lead the young ones

Reply #46114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that is exactly why their junior program is struggling. How about spending some money on the junior program, rather than buying other players.

Reply #46122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems like the worry about there mens side only not about the womens or the juniors at all

Reply #46131 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Isn't it amazing. All these nameless people bitchng about other clubs.

Are you people who state that they "need to spend some money on their womens and junior teams" part fo the Committee's that make these decisions? No?? Didnt think so.

Are you even involved in the club in any way, to help shape these decisions? No?? Didn;t think so either.

Every club pays their ABL players. Thats a fact, Jack. I'm not saying EVERY player gets paid, but every club has a budget (and hence why the salary cap was introduced.)

How a club decides to spend it's money IS THAT CLUBS DECISION PURELY.

Grand Finalists last season, and ABL Champions this season, with a LOT of Woodville juniors in the team would suggest that maybe the mix is just right.

Perhaps people should stop with the sour grapes, and get on with supporting local basketball instead. Worry about what YOUR club is doing with your fees, if it so concerns you, and let other clubs operate the way they feel they should.

This post by the way is in no way a view of the WDBC, but is purely my own personal view, and I will state that I actually have no idea on who gets paid, what gets paid, and what money gets spent where.

Reply #46161 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

personally I am sick to death of seeing the title 'demise of woodville.'

I believe it was started by a disgruntled few who wish to justify their reasons for leaving the club.

If anyone saw Sharna Breavington's game in the final round at Starplex saw a player with a lot of promise. One person not connected with either club commented on the night that they could see her playing WNBL.

Lyndall and Kelly who came the Woodville junior program are improving each game. Shanon Gates would get a game at most other clubs.

Cam Wilson from u10s to ABL championship captain a lot of that career was played in lower division and on the receiving end of a lot of big losses.

But look what team & club loyalty can give you!

Like a lot of clubs we have Juniors who have left and are playing ABL at other clubs.

Clubs are like families, everyone doesn't get along all of the time.

Players come an go from clubs for various reasons, from personality clashes, to distances travelled to training.

I know Woodville was built on the premise of being accepting of all and that if you wished to play the club would find a way to help you achieve that goal.

Let us take that accepting spirit and just move on!

Reply #46188 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

lets let the results talk then. and when we r doing well or even ok, it will prove the doubters wrong. well said lyn

Reply #46197 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

that's ok Take Luck

next time can you change the title or we'll keep seeing the demise of woodville rise to the top of the list.

Reply #46200 | Report this post

Interesting...  
Years ago

I have heard that the players who are leaving Woodville and going to a social team, already play at St Clair in a team (I think a West player is involved too) What I heard was they they are entering this "social" team into the Under 20 competition? Can this be right? Sorry but if it is, thats crap! This is a DISTRICT competition for District CLUBS. Its bad enough having groups like torrens valley and rattlers being allowed to compete in the junior comp. they do not have div 1 teams and do not have ABA teams, so how do they qualify as a district club? are BASA now just going to let anyone put in a half baked team just to make a few extra bucks? What is happening!!! Somebody, please, please explain this to me. Why am I paying enormous fees, when i can go to one of these "off-shoot" teams and play for next to nothing!

Reply #47441 | Report this post

austin powers  
Years ago

there is nothing to stop them - remember modbury jazz - those guys had game!

basa supports the clubs - but if persons' efforts are honest to starting a new club / team - and they meet entry criteria - away they go.

who says clubs have the overall say!
if the player feels better doing that and feels a better deal is on the cards - go for it.

I am hardly convinced club loyalty exists much nowdays - I have seen the most loyal shredded by clubs.

Reply #47446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:)

Reply #47451 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Most clubs arent loyal to players so why should the players be loyal to them.

Reply #47565 | Report this post

been there!  
Years ago

here , here - especially warriors.

vera was dedicated, gave blood for the cause - but her coaches so many times did not reflect her philosphies.

div 1s doing what they liked, coaches telling div 3s they were only money spinners, kids getting shunted at the coaches whim / favouritism.

frankly it does not surprise me if there are renegade warriors - they treated my relatives like shit

Reply #47600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive only recently come to woodville, i think it is a great club, the guys are all friendly and the coaches are even better, they have been nothing but accomadating, encouraging and fair. Im sick of people talking shit bout my club.

Reply #47604 | Report this post

been there!  
Years ago

facts are facts, jack !

trust me - we've been there.

you are either a div 1 player or still naive enough to think it is good.

why do you think the jarmans walked out in disgust.

Reply #47613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some people leave clubs for their own reasons.

some parents can't see that their kids belond in div 11 or 111 and only want to see their kid be in the top team.

it is only natural for us all to want our kids to be the best but some parents are very blinkered and rather see that the problem sometimes chose to blame others than look at themselves.

that is with all clubs, all sport,s all walks of life...get over it move on if you have left you have left.. i wait to you leave your next club for probably the same reasons.

that's life baby

Reply #47617 | Report this post

been there!  
Years ago

ha - wait until it is your turn - unless your family is on the committee - then you are safe and definitely in line for a future

Reply #47619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with been there 100%. If you are buddy buddy with the people running the show, they'll screw you around

Reply #47628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im not buddy with anyone and played div2 for 2 years, hopefully will get 1's this year.

Reply #47663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't think of anyone who has benefited from having family on a committee at woodville...can you?

Reply #47723 | Report this post

croc hunter  
Years ago

been there what are you on about
the jarmans left because of time commitments
get your facts right
what committees are you on about ??
if youre not happy see you later the green train is moving ahead
without you i reckon
aba champs

Reply #49934 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754