Camel 31
Years ago

Basketballers don't make good footy players

Mentioned on radio. Josh Jenkins will not improve as basketballers don't make good footballers.. They knew of Brogan and Tippett. Do you know others. Is it correct

Topic #38774 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pendlebury has made a good job of footy.

Reply #572597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't tell Hughie.

Reply #572598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some top AFL recruiters were at the u16 Nationals in Ulverstone, they must disagree.

Reply #572600 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Pendlebury started as a basketballer I think.

Reply #572601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's a good footy player?

Scott Pendelbury - certainly a good footballer.

Jack Watts? Was a good basketballer. I would't say he was great. He's a decent footballer at best.

Ben Richmond? Ryan Bathie? Both made the move and didn't exactly "make it".

Christian Petracca - still no idea because of injury.

Dyson Heppel - played for Vic Country, no higher, and is an excellent footballer.

It doesn't always translate exactly how you would want it to.

Reply #572602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goldstein has turned out pretty good!

Reply #572606 | Report this post

Wasn't Pendlebury (pretty handy footballer) replaced at the AIS by Petty Mills.

Plus those other that transferred, how would have their pro basketball career progressed and would have they made a living from it - a la Josh Jenkins, nicely employed for the past few years.

Ricky Henderson is another one with a basketball background and limited AFL prior to being drafted (rookie draft).

Reply #572609 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Some certainly do, but I think there are guys that do very well at Basketball, that would struggle in the AFL.
Somebody like Jawai would certainly be a massive presence, and would be hard to shift from the goal square, but he wouldn't have the tank for modern AFL.

I've previously read that Knight wants to play for West Perth when he retires from NBL. He'd make a great around the ground ruckman, or forward, but his lack of speed would preclude him from AFL.

Worthington actually tried out for the Eagles, and decided it wasn't for him.
Smaller, quick, agile, skillful guys like Prather would make good midfielders and small forwards, if they could master the ball skills, AND the increased level of fitness.

Reply #572612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This gets discussed about 2 or 3 times a year on hoops.com.au.

There are NUMEROUS threads related to this. The last was http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/36943-basketball-players-stopping-to-play-afl/

Previously Paul Roos, Tony Shaw, Terry Wallace all played a high level of basketball. No doubt there's been plenty more.

Basically a good sportman in one sport will often translate to being a good sportsman in another. There's been plenty of AFL players that gave up on promising cricket careers, not just basketball.

I can verify that the AFL recruiters rate basketball IQ, the ball handling and the decision making that comes with having played basketball extremely highly.

I personally know that both Hawthorn & Richmond have borrowed from basketball strategies in the past.

Reply #572613 | Report this post

It is also that basketball is one of the few 360 degree sports like AFL which gives players that awareness that translates.

Reply #572621 | Report this post

On the flipside, football players make terrible basketballers.

Reply #572627 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Was this a Kevin Bartlett quote? It just reeks of Kevin Bartlett.

Reply #572628 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was former Crows captain, Chris McDermott speaking on radio 5aa

Reply #572631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris McDermott wasn't much of an athlete. He probably wasn't picked for any basketball teams growing up.

Reply #572633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Shaw??? Had no idea he was a baller

Reply #572640 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Jesse White was a top junior baller in QLD, played with Kurt Tippett. Was with the Swans last time I checked a few years ago, no idea what he's doing now though.

Reply #572649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also this from 2009

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/19043-afl-afl-players-that-used-to-be-b-ballers/

re Tony Shaw
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blue-collar-to-red-carpet/story-e6frf9jf-1225875256571

Quoting the article: He would often cover the 8km from home to the Coburg Basketball Club, playing a sport in which he reached state level at age 16.

"But I knew I was never going to go any further in basketball because of to my lack of height (170cm), so footy was it," Shaw said before his induction last night into the AFL Hall of Fame.

"I would run or walk to the basketball, or football at Keon Park, when Max and Beth McLeod couldn't take me, but they took me a lot," he said

Reply #572666 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"It was former Crows captain, Chris McDermott speaking on radio 5aa"

Bone is the Adelaide version of Kevin Bartlett. So that makes perfect sense.

Reply #572689 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Jesse White plays for Collingwood now btw.

Reply #572690 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There are too many good examples of basket ballers making it in AFL, (Roughead, Blicsavs, Pendlebury etc..), but not so much the other way, so I would tend to disagree with the OP's comment...

Reply #572707 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Scott West played for VIC Metro as a junior before choosing football.

Reply #572923 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think size still has a lot to do with it.
If you are sub 6ft, you need to be an exceptional shooter to make it in basketball, otherwise most PGs are around 6ft or taller. Whereas there are plenty of sub 6ft midfielders and small defenders/forwards in AFL. (Although there is now a trend towards bigger mids.)
At the other end, if you are over 200cm in AFL, that's ruckman size, and that's a small category, whereas that is almost starting size for a PF. Truly tall guys are still rare in the AFL. It took a long time for Sandilands to become something more than a tap winning flagpole. He's their tallest player, yet he's only the same height as Tom Jervis.

Reply #572955 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems there was an afl blockbuster on queens birthday and mason cox was game mvp..

Reply #692308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how many of them played a significant amount of footy as a junior? It would seem to make the transfer much easier.

Grundy comes to mind as one who had very little footy before switching codes, but perhaps he is the exception?

Reply #692310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the sake of the Botis of the world who get their knickers in a huge twist over terminology like daring to refer to the champions as the premiers or calling a championship banner a flag we should probably avoid calling the Best On Ground or BOG of an AFL game the MVP or else the Boti of the AFL will have a meltdown too.

Reply #692321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is 100% right. I hate AFLtards using their strange terminology on other sports. A taste of their own medicine back is fine.

Reply #692324 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Maybe McDermott needs to look at the crows Womens captain. Clearly best AWFL player in the country.

Reply #692335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not really saying much, though.

Reply #692342 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't agree. They often make great footballers. Local SA kid Izak Rankine is on his way to the AFL for sure and also playing DIV 1 for Forestville.

AFLW they literally pluck girls out of the top basketball divs and offer them a place in development squads.

Reply #692363 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

...seems afl havea mvp ... i don't even know what it's about... i think players vote for it....

Reply #692417 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Agree with the 360 degree game point.

Junior AFL and Junior basketball players can play both sports well, as the hand skills, peripheral vision and all around awareness translate across.

Junior league players struggle with this awareness in both basketball and AFL. They tend to get tackled or have the ball stripped from behind or to the sides. They're just not used to defenders being anywhere but in front of them.

Mason Cox is an interesting example. Safe to say he never played AFL as a junior or in college. I’ve heard in media he needed to be taught how to kick the ball. But would Collingwood have persevered this long with his development if he was born in Australi?

Reply #692444 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

But would Collingwood have persevered this long with his development if he was born in Australi?

Probably not as supposedly Cox did great in athletic testing prior to them signing him so it probably came down to them thinking if he can pick up the skills he'll be a good find. His attitude and eagerness to move to Australia and embrace the sport probably played a part too. He's done very well for himself in a short space of time.

Reply #692445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:35 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754