MIH
Years ago

Geelong - NBL - Vic needs two teams

There was a thread a while back about Geelong seeking re-admission into the the NBL - a long term dream of the financially strong Supercats.

This has appeared in the local paper today and I'd think this would go a long way in securing an NBL team for Geelong.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/geelong/geelong-conventeion-and-exhibition-centre-on-the-horizon-mp-lisa-neville-says/news-story/937b8b25ce87d99be0a1be5c8ee85a9e

With BBL attracting 11,000 to a practice game and the Victory attracting 20,000 to their last match at Simonds with a big crowd expected again on Friday, it would seem that Geelong is crying out for a summer team.

Currently the population sits at 220,000 in the greater Geelong area with population increasing to a million over the December January holiday period. With an expected population rise to 400,000 in the next 15-20 years, the city is prime picking for a summer sport.

Thoughts? Victoria def needs two teams

Topic #38784 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely ! Ready made brand, stadium and supporter base.

Reply #572805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never happen and if floated it would sent the Supercats into a black hole financially.

The latest AGM has the figures and they are not a financially strong club.

Attendance numbers are not strong and this year the structure for members and general public has been changed to try and boost attendance.

Yes Dean Anglin doing his best, but NBL !!!!!

Reply #572807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there's had the facility and it worked coldly if not had shareholding from the AFL team it could leverage as the summer alternative sport in town.

The growth of outer western burbs and feeling itself wil be huge in the next 5-10 years so with the right backing and vision it could really work well if they get in before BBL or Aleague as the corporate dollar our isn't massive in Geelong.

Reply #572808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe the stadium is any where big enough. 2000 only.

Reply #572809 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@MIH, I fail to see the connection between an NBL proposal in the Geelong area and the proposal for a new convention centre, unless you are speculating that the region is so much on the move that now is the time to strike and basketball needs to get in ahead of the pack?

Even then, I believe you are years ahead of where such a possibility could be considered, yes the CEO and board is doing a good job in regards to many concepts and the strategic direction of the Supercats has potential, but there are still many obstacles to go beyond SEABL for at least 5-10 years IMO.

I will agree that Victoria needs a second NBL team, however that may come at a time before Geelong is ready to be the best option, I can see the second NBL team in Victoria coming from elsewhere first, unfortunately...

Reply #572814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo for second team

Reply #572817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong bigger long term growth and if done right could get supporters from outter western suburbs of Melbourne.

They need a 4-7k seater venue thou or you just struggle to get the revenue with rich owners backing you in the bad years

Reply #572850 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Why do Politicians always think a "exhibition centre" is such a wonderful thing and some magical panacea to their problems? If I ever became Premier, first thing I would do is bulldoze that appalling white elephant on Perth's foreshore. I once had a RUSSIAN Engineer, tell me how ugly it was and how it spoilt our city.

But back to the OP, Victoria does need another team. But realistically I think it needs to be closer to Melbourne, and take advantage of the facilities already there.
That said, I think following the European model where Football and Basketball Clubs stem from the same entities could work. Besides, If Geelong needs cash all they need to do is get Mr Fruity Fingers interested.

Reply #572858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo has a huge stadium in the pipeline. Also a very high growth area which can garner the support of other regional towns e.g. Echuca, Shepparton, Maryborough, Kyneton, Castlemaine etc.

Reply #572859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame they don't support the Braves in the Seabl.

Reply #572863 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Definitely love to have them back but that current stadium is awful and I'm not sure the convention center answers the issues...

I always imagined that the Supercats would return due to the GFC building a multipurpose training facility and thinking 'we have a bit of money to splash so why don't we invest it in the NBL... $4m is nothing in AFL and if you can sell your sponsors on 12 months of advertising a year instead of 6-7 then that $4m could be made in sponsorship alone... I'm a little surprised that the Brisbane Broncos and Collingwood haven't tried this themselves.

I don't like Ford but they have sponsored the GFC since 1923 and I wouldn't complain about having their sponsorship on an NBL jersey.

I feel Bendigo is too out in the scrub

Reply #573381 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Bendigo is an interesting one..current pop is 113,000, forecast to be 156,000 by 2036. Maybe too small?

As a comparison, the Cairns region is currently 154,000, Townsville is 178,000.

And Geelong - currently 235,000, and forecast to be 320,000 by 2036.

Has to be some logic to it I would have thought, although a new stadium is probably a must.

Reply #573424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong needs the council to get off the football, cricket and netball bandwagon and realise basketball is potentially as big as any of them and then distribute some of their funds more evenly before anything like the NBL is even considered down in sleepy hollow.

Reply #573554 | Report this post

Cussie  
Years ago

Geelong may be more suited to the CLB if it gets off the ground. Far cheaper entry point, shorter season and well suited to a smaller stadium.

Reply #573555 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'Bendigo too far out in the scrub'

This must be from someone who has never been to Bendigo, surely?

Their position geographically, has not hurt their WNBL team. Also, how then do we accept those current NBL franchises that are in places up north, even the Hawks could be labelled inconveniently located to some. This is not a valid reason for not giving Bendigo an NBL license, not even close...

Reply #574142 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754