Anonymous
Years ago

Unprofessional - mics and cameras in timeouts?

As the season has progressed I've noticed more coaches using players or coaching staff to block the view of the camera and probably fair enough too given the opposition could easily have someone watching the broadcast and using this information.

It doesn't happen in the NBA and I know when they do have mics and cameras during the locker room coaches speech and also the mics attached to the players during the game there is a clause in the contract with the broadcasters that what they show can't be the more detailed strategic stuff. That's why you'll only hear the rah rah stuff in their broadcasts. As good as it is for the fab to be able to listen in to a timeout I can't help but think this affects the professionalism of our league.

Topic #38798 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

In this era of scouting most teams know what sets the other teams are running. If it's a game winner or quick hitter then maybe not have the cameras in the final minutes, but you can see the play getting run on tape and I can hardly see an assistant with a tv on the sidelines tuning in to see the other teams play.
It's more to give the fans a taste of what's it like in the huddle, how the coach is handling it and being part of the action.
Hardly affects the professionalism of the league, would be actually interesting to fans new to the sport so that statement is a bit ludicrous.
From memory from years past coaches could refuse to have cameras in the timeout, I think the main reason would be the distraction.
We need to keep up with the other sports to stay relevant with players miked up and giving interviews and perspectives while the action is going on.

Reply #572998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3652330/spygate-nbl-must-investigate-allegations/

What did I say? Good on bevo for saying he may not allow mics in the future because of this.

Reply #573102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The games are on about an 8 second delay on Foxtel so in most cases it would be hard to get enough info in such a short amount of time to let players know whats going to be run.

Reply #573225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty average article. Didn't have quotes from Beveridge and misquoted the Melbourne assistant coach.

Reply #573234 | Report this post

While I believe that the United staff did have information provided to them from the timeout, if Bevo was only just inventing that play on the night (ie he didn't have a well-practiced last second shot play to go to) then that is poor coaching.

I cannot believe that is the case though. He is much better coach than that.

Reply #573235 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What makes you think they had info provided to them?

Reply #573236 | Report this post

The timing of the comment from the United coach, came right at the end of a summary of Bevo's play by Shane Heal. If he was the super scout that we've been told he is then his input should have come earlier.

Not that anyone couldn't take an educated guess where the ball was going though.

Reply #573238 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That assistant coach was at the back of Melbourne's huddle at the start of the time-out and in the same spot when they switched back. He didn't have an i-pad or mobile phone in his hands and neither did the other staff around him.

It's definitely possible someone else approached him with the info (it would be good to see a wide shot), but I don't see anything in the question he asked Demopoulos, or the way Melbourne defended, that confirms they saw the time-out.

Reply #573248 | Report this post

I don't think they did much with the information (that they wouldn't have already done) but I don't believe the assistant coach saying he scouted the Hawks properly.

Now if Bevo is saying he only drew up the play then and there, one of them is lying.

Reply #573253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This from Oscar Forman suggests Bevo often pulls out things they haven't done much of:

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/r14-preview-sydney-v-illawarra/

You'd imagine it would be a variation of something they know well for a game-winner though.

Reply #573255 | Report this post

I would agree with that too. I don't believe that he invented the play then and there. Might be the first time they've run it during the season.

Reply #573256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're saying you think that's the 1st time all year that they've gone to Penney in the post when they needed a quick 2 points all season? From my recollection Bevo didn't mention the post, just said that they were going to Kirk. Also from my observation, Demopolous doesn't confer with his AC's prior to addressing the players, so that is probably why the conversation happened late in the time out as opposed to early.

Reply #573262 | Report this post

"Also from my observation, Demopolous doesn't confer with his AC's prior to addressing the players, so that is probably why the conversation happened late in the time out as opposed to early."

That doesn't give the "super scout" theory much weight then. The club and players defended him as the guy who is so good at his job that he knew what play they'd be running. If he wasn't going to be spoken to until after DD had spoken to the players, then his brilliant scouting is irrelevant.

Reply #573264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you seem to be missing the main point. I'm not sure how predicting that Bevo would go to Penney for the match winning basket in the post when they're only down by 1, makes the MU AC a 'super scout'. I'd imagine most people watching at home would've expected a play for Penney or Lisch inside the 3 point line. Fairly predictable I would've thought, and I don't consider myself a 'super scout' or a cheat for that matter.

Reply #573268 | Report this post

Because thats what United said after the game. They said its his job to scout the Hawks and he made an educated guess about which play they'd be running.... its just that the info he had straight after the Hawks timeout and when the players had left the huddle.

Reply #573271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they said he's the AC that does the scouting and it was an educated guess, but you're calling him a 'super scout', as though what he came up with was almost impossible.

Reply #573273 | Report this post

You're not understanding the point. I'm not talking about what he came up with, I'm talking about WHEN he came up with it.

Reply #573274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, let me try and be more clear. If the play was that Penney and Lisch had to come off screens each, simultaneously, but were actually a decoy for Agent 97 to get the ball, and then throw an ally oop for Ogilvy (even though he was fouled out), and the AC told Demopolous that, the timing might be somewhat suspicious. Penney in the post = somewhat captain obvious = timing irrelevant, peace, out.

Reply #573278 | Report this post

Speaking of timing, what a waste of mine.

Reply #573279 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Liam Santamaria said on Twitter the two possible plays Illawarra could run were communicated to Demopoulos while Goulding was at the line, before the timeout.

Reply #573280 | Report this post

That isn't what he/they said initially. You don't get two bites at the cherry when trying to explain your way out of something.

Reply #573281 | Report this post

really  
Years ago

Whether it is professional or not, I think that there was some communication, through the Melb Asst Coach, that was the result of the cameras being in the Hawks huddle.

The timing of the comment, the way in which it was said by the Asst, and the seemingly surprise of Demopolous when he heard it make it pretty clearly the result of 'spying'.

If the Asst coach had his scout down so well then he should have been consulted at the start of the timeout for what the Hawks may run.

There is a lot of ways that the message may have got through to the Asst coach but my guess is that a viewer sent a txt through to one of the players not suited up and then that was passed to Asst coach.

As previously mentioned, a wide view of MU for the entire TO may give the answers.

Now whether this is unprofessional is another matter. I personally don't care to have cameras in the timeouts as most of the time the coaches aren't giving messages that mean much to the average viewer anyway. Unless of course they start to play Shawn Dennis's timeouts again. They were classic and great viewing, if you are over 18...

Reply #573282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that the timing was odd to pass on the information right at the end of the timeout if it is what he had already scouted and knew. Unless he spent the whole timeout racking his brains for the old film that he'd watched and it came to him just as the timeout ended.

Reply #573335 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The timing could easily be because the assistant felt Demopoulos hadn't covered that option in the time-out.

Reply #573337 | Report this post

"Liam Santamaria said on Twitter the two possible plays Illawarra could run were communicated to Demopoulos while Goulding was at the line, before the timeout."

Reply #573343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well then why did the coach repeat the play at the end of the timeout?

Reply #573380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I'm gonna guess because the coach forgot to mention it, so he was reminding him before the TO was completely over.

Reply #573382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754