AngusH
Years ago

Kings v Hawks, Jan 9

I knew the Hawks would smoke us after that Melbourne game. Penney put on a clinic tonight, that was vintage Breakers Penney out there.

For the Kings, well, we couldn't defend a pick-and-roll to save our lives and the usual frantic over-helping on drives left guys like Foreman open too many times, but hey, Hawks were on fire.

For the new guys, Faithful played some pretty good D I thought, and Vandengberg was a lot more mobile than I expected. Doesn't have a lot of strength but seemed to have decent touch and got after shots too. Hill had a couple of flashes.

Topic #38803 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have not defended a pick and roll all season. I don't know what the go with Thornton is, to many turn overs can't defend. A true point guard would be nice. Chill gave it all but needs support. Brandt reasonable but has to get tougher. Prewster tried hard rest all pretty forgettable, Hill tried hard as well.

Reply #573047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THanks AngusH for posting a pointless thread.

Reply #573051 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Just like your post, anon.

Reply #573052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thornton is just a terrible import. Kings with lisch would be a completely different team.

Reply #573054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are a mess. That entire club needs a total overhaul at all levels. And to anyone that thought Connelly was worth keeping - that game was a perfect example of why that's completely ridiculous thinking. Got totally out coached by Beveridge and looked way out of his depth. If anything the Kings are worse defensively than they were under Cotter. Just because a guy waves a towel and jumps around on the sideline does not mean he's qualified to be a head coach. Chief cheerleader maybe.

Sydney will be lucky to win another game. Bunch of road games coming up and their last home game is against the Wildcats. Good luck with that.

Reply #573060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't rate Connolly too harshly because the team got spanked by the Hawks. They are in rare form right now and I needn't remind you that they laid a similar beatdown to new Zealand at vector.

Reply #573061 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Faithfull only gets on because of Jerkomas being an Asst.
He picks up three fouls in seven minutes.how is that great "D"
There are still better players out there should be given an opportunity.

At least White,Ellis and Weekes are being given opportunities and rewarded under a coach who is prepared to show faith in them.

Bevo certainly made the right decision going to Hawkes and I bet a few Kings players would love the opportunity to play for him.

Reply #573062 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great game from White. Went from being disparaged by Kings fans when signed by the Hawks to starting for a strong team.

Reply #573063 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not saying that Faithful is better than Weekes - before the season started I was saying we should have kept Weekes. Don't care about his foul count either, he put good pressure on the ballhandler and came up with a nice steal too (which was followed up by a nicer block by Weekes). All young guys pick up fouls.

Ellis had a good game, but I don't regret letting him go too much, nor White.

Reply #573064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis and white have got a lot better under bevo, probably best coach in the league.

The Kings guards are poor except Cadee who is a two guard with potential but believes he owns the ball. The Kings have gone from coach to coach and until the coach can pick his team, put his stamp on the team his way it ain't going to change.
Thornton should be cut now and give one two of the younger blokes a go,, nothing to lose and they hopefully bring some passion to the game.

Either back this coach in and let him put his team in place or get an ex King that got mongrel in early to put his stamp on it not some coach with high credentials but can't coach. Knight or bj Carter seem good.
Childress is a gun but he can't do everything for the team, need a genuine point guard import.
The Kings firing are vital to the Nbl or the crowds will deminish quickly and fox sport will walk away, it's was disappointing listening to the talk around last night. Kings management it's time to start now.

Reply #573070 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I don't understand, does White always start over Martin? And if so why?

Reply #573077 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Beveridge doesn't start his five best players, he goes with line-ups that have balance.

White's defence is seen as important in a line-up with Penney and particularly Forman, while Martin's offence (and Coenraad's) are seen as important in a line-up with Davidson and Ellis.

Reply #573081 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sounds like AngusH is in Kings management or ex coach by the comments of what and did happen at start of season.

Reply #573082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clever coaching by bevo. A lot of other coaches could learn from him. You often look at lineups out there and think 'how's this team going to score?'.

Bevo is head and shoulders above the rest of the three mugs coaching in the nbl and with elite talent to go alongside that it is of little surprise the hawks are running roughshod across the whole league. You can pretty much hand them the trophy now, barring any injuries

Reply #573098 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Anon... no... not quite.

Just a passionate Kings fan. Anyone who saw the Kings-LSU game pre-season would've known that Weekes deserved a spot on the roster, even over Rhys Carter. Weekes looked like a different player after his time in Germany.

Ellis blocks shots and knocks down a couple of three every now and then, but has waaaay too many bonehead plays on the court. Saw it a ton when he was in Sydney, and I've seen it a ton watching Illawarra on TV this season. White works hard but is a bit overrated as an on-ball defender. He's a good fit for the Hawks because he hustles, doesn't commit turnovers, and doesn't take shots away from the other starters. If I could take any one of the ex-Kings back it would definitely be Weekes.

Reply #573114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably wouldn't come back because the fans can't spell his name.

Reply #573118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH creates a topic after the game has concluded. Clearly clever.

Reply #573126 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

No one can dispute Bevo being the best coach in the league. Having said that he has the best shooting team at his disposal. Not the most overall talent (that is Perth) but the best balanced attack .

The Hawks over a 3 game series will out score any team in the league. They are the team to beat with all that firepower.

Reply #573136 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

:eyeroll: Yes, because I was at the game you moron. Find a more productive way to spend your time, anonymous troll.

Reply #573137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks have an amazing big 3, with Ogilvy as my MVP and the best big in the league, with Penney and Lisch right up there as the best at their positions too

I thought this team was favourites pre season looking at the big 3 they have, all proven to the NBL too, they had a slow start so i did wonder if they would put it together, but once thye got their full team together they clicked well

Bevo is also a great coach and will demand they work hard on defense,

They will be tough to beat for the championships

Reply #573138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing the Hawks should fear is jawai and knight outmuscling them inside and damo locking up lisch and throwing the key away. However the cats are in terrible form having put up their two lowest scores in franchise history in the past couple of weeks so they aren't exactly looking like certainties to make the playoffs for mine.

Reply #573142 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Why does it matter that someone started a thread after a game? If people want to discuss something, they post, if not, what's it got to do with you? There's maybe two or three Kings fans that post regularly here, not like certain 36er or Wildcat fans that obsess over every tiny little details...

But back to discussing the game, if it's ok, since it's already been played?

Not much to argue with regarding the atrocious lack of effort... Although scoring 90pts was the only thing they did really, I don't know where those points came from as it just looked like it was the Hawks wandering down and jacking up shots... When White clumsily "passes" off the ring and Coenraad banks a shot off the backboard from WELL past the 3pt line, you know it's just not your day...

Kirkish Delight just made us his bitch, not like playground bitch, like hold his pocket walking through the cell block bitch, it was really hard to watch... He just seems to be able to get his balance with not even half a seconds notice and swish... That being said, putting our best offensive player on him a lot of the game was a stupid idea, but maybe out of necessity as no-one else was doing a decent job? Indiana Faithful did pretty good on Lisch at times, a few fouls but at least hustled hard... Was 100 times better than Thornton who seems to have gotten even WORSE than previous games, and is an even bigger liability on the court, ball hogging and over dribbling and a complete waste of space... What's worse than a black hole of basketball?

For those wetting themselves over White, I think you could put nearly anyone on the court with Oscar, Lisch, Penney and AJ and as long as he played any sort of D, he'd look MUCH better than what he actually is... I'm more pleased with how Ellis is still going well, he got screwed over with minutes last season but he would still have been a better option than Hill for the Kings this season...

The more games that are played, the more I want Larry Kestelman to come in and bitch slap the ownership group into seeing that they can't keep screwing with things and to get a decent coach in (Joe hasn't proven that he's the guy, no matter how much I like him jumping around on the sideline like a crazy parent at their kids weekend sports game) that they don't have to interfere with... The thing is though, they're few and far between... People need to get over Goorj coming back, it's not going to happen, and regarding the ex-King post somewhere above, the only one I'd even be ok with coming in would be Matty Nielsen with BJ Carter backing him up... Both have put their time in and matt especially has been with strong organisations that can bring in some work ethic, defensive mindset and talent into the team... If he can't light a fire under Jules (if he returns) then Jules is a lost cause...

Whoever it is, the owners need to get someone of quality in before the end of the season and run with it... Let them build their team, bring in some young talent to grow (*cough* Mitch McCarron please*cough*) and don't expect a championship straight away... Support the team off the court and give them the best chance to grow and succeed on the court without screwing things up...

Reply #573169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find twitter the most usable during the games and come here afterwards for more detailed breakdowns (like above).

Reply #573173 | Report this post

I wonder if all the anonymous users here have egg avatars on Twitter?

Reply #573174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee

If we all agree that Thornton is a total waste and does not want to be here, why are they still persisting with him surely it's time to play a young player.

Re Joe it looks like as all coaches before him his hands are tied, changes hard to make, some of the players not up to it. So is Joe good bad or average coach . I don't think we know, again it's a pity as his enthusiasm is fantastic.

Mathew Neilson is married to a Perth girl and why would he want to coach Kings when you can get the plum wildcats job in a season or two. I'm with you on Bj Carter though he's the next Gordgian.

Reply #573177 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If we all agree that Thornton is a total waste and does not want to be here, why are they still persisting with him surely it's time to play a young player.

The same reason as you mention after asking the question, the owners aren't willing to completely throw him away as they most likely think that it will look bad to Boston, who have most likely already written him off... PLus he DOES have the skill, but he's focusing only on trying to get his points. He had what, 1 rebound, 1 assist, last game? That's not good enough for ANY player who is playing 20mpg, let alone an import...

I agree Matty is a long shot, I guess I just see him as the best option, and seeing him back for the last game at the Kingdome was really good... Perth is an amazing organisation, but it's not perfect... Bevo had his problems with Mr Marvin from what has been discussed here and Elsewhere, so you never know... I'll still put it on my Wish List though, as until the Ownership pull their heads out of their arses, nothing it going to change...

Reply #573226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754