Isaac
Years ago

36ers working to keep Randle for future

THE Adelaide 36ers are hellbent on retaining exciting playmaking import Jerome Randle beyond the 2015-16 NBL season and already are deep into negotiations with the 175cm superstar.
"We are doing everything possible to retain Jerome," Sixers general manager Guy Hedderwick said.

“I spoke with his agent over the weekend and we want him.

“He's indicated he wants to stay, that he’s enjoying his basketball again, he’s happy here and his wife is happy here."
Full story

Pay the man!

Topic #38811 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Lock him in please.

Reply #573239 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I had the chance to speak to him quickly after a game. He said playing here has helped him fall in love with Basketball again after not enjoying his time over in Europe. Surely that is a good sign, although I'm sure every other NBL team will be after him.

Reply #573240 | Report this post

Years ago

His personality and game brings fans and success - an absolute priority.

Been an excellent fit for NBL.

Reply #573241 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

id go to 300k for him easily

Reply #573243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few other clubs will be super keen

Reply #573245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's about $175K too much.

Reply #573247 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they should keep negotiating but hold off signing until they see if the 36ers can be a good team with Randle.

This core was a good team with Ervin and Wilson, but haven't yet found their groove with Randle. A few more wins like last Friday though and I think he's worth the investment because he's so popular too.

Reply #573249 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wonder if the Sixers would be a consistent top 4 team with a returning import each year. I don't think Adelaide has had an import play two (full) seasons since about 2002(?)

When an import returns, there is some certainty and consistency about the team. It gets fans and sponsors excited and this flows to the scoreboard.

I agree. Lock him in for another season with a season extension option and then build the team around him. Get a second import (4/5) contract swinging on the "off year" and then do the same for that import.

Reply #573254 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep lock him up if you can but i would bet that his agent will hold off till the end of the year for nothing else other than to push his price even if he wanted to stay. Honestly when was the last time we retained an import? The league has so much turn over it would nice to lock some talent away even for a 2 year stretch.

Reply #573257 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So many factors to consider. Let's say Gibson leaves and they replace him with Madgen, a Randle/Madgen backcourt would be weak defensively, especially in ball-screens with Johnson.

Maybe you go the outscore everyone philosophy, with DJ, Randle and Madge it will win a lot of games but probably come up short in the end.

Reply #573258 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Lock-in Randle & bring in Diamon Simpson.

I could see those 2 connecting with each other & alley hoops highlights.

Reply #573265 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

^There he is!

Reply #573266 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hopefully the EBster is next... said no logical fan ever. Randle puts bums on seats pay him.

Reply #573283 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Sign Randle to a two year deal(use Gibbo salary)
Get rid of Gibson
Get Ben Madgen in sixer uniform.

Get a quality 2/3 man then we will be championship team.

Reply #573285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Majok Deng (who is killing it in college) and there's your good three man.

Reply #573287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep could keep randle

Grab madgen and torrey craig to replace Gibson and ere

They should cost around the same combined and cover the role gibson and ere should be doing

Replace walker with bj Anthony for another big with grunt ideally we would go for Jervis or brandt but i doubt we could fit either in under the cap

That would give us

Johnson/hodgson
Petrie/bj anthony
Creek/craig
Madgen/teys
Randle/sobey

Could go an ebwke type big instead of craig if that is seen as a bigger need too

If can't get madgen offer the spot to dan dillon or anthony drmic

I reckon that type of line up would do well with joey and keeps most our core together

Keeping a import in randle for more than one season will also help with team chemistry etc too

Reply #573288 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

He isn't leading Adelaide to finals just like Childress, keep your money!

Reply #573289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see your point Thunder Jam, but Randle is the type of pg Joey always goes for and is about as good as you get for NBL as his style of player, id much rather keep him than Joey recruit Jamar Wilson or someone not as good.

I also think its best to try and keep atleast one of your imports each year, especially one who is a mvp contender even if small and not typically the style of pg who leads teams to titles.

I reckon the team i suggested of

Johnson/hodgson
Petrie/bj anthony
Creek/craig
Madgen/teys
Randle/sobey

WOuld be of similar level to our last GF team and should be a playoff team, assuming MAdgen hasnt forgotten how to shoot and out performs ebi ere and Torrey Craig is more athletic and a upgrade on Gibbo this team should make the playoffs and may even sneak into a GF or a title run if things go really well

Id rather keep that type of group together and make the playoffs for the next couple of years with Joey than have to start again every off season and never grow as a group as a result.

Reply #573291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Keep Randle and spend up on a big import. Adelaide could do that while going barely over the cap and still being way under Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, etc.

Reply #573294 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I heard the Sixers were going to have a tilt at Goulding.
Apparently Goulding is keen to go to Brisbane but is not against Adelaide or staying in Melbourne.

Reply #573306 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sign him up! Best import we have had in years. The team is not far off the pace and I feel like the extra time they've had on the practice court recently has allowed Joey to work on their defence. It was certainly much improved against both Melbourne and NZ. I can see Joey orchestrating another late season run to get us into the playoffs at this stage.

Reply #573313 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Goulding wouldnt fit in with DJ all that well, he will shoot first second and third which is fine its his game. But DJ needs the ball fed to him for him to be effective and reap some value for money already spent on him!

Reply #573330 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Yep no brainer to retain him if we can. Then build the team around him as part of the core group for a couple of years. We may loose a couple to the new Brisbane team but if other options don't fit then don't force it, particularly in the Madgen situation. Some have said this combination could be defensively weak.

Surely this is what the marquee player was meant for.

Reply #573360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754