Luuuc
Years ago

Wildcats vs Kings - Jan 15

Matty Knight missing for Perth

"Perth Wildcats power forward Matt Knight will miss Friday night's game as he battles a shoulder injury.
The 30-year-old aggravated his left shoulder during last week’s game against the Cairns Taipans.
Wildcats medical staff expect him to remain on the sidelines for just one week.
A decision will be made on a replacement player prior to Friday’s Heritage Round clash with the Sydney Kings at Perth Arena."

That'll hurt the Cats. Could be the difference between a 22 point win and a 16 point win.

Topic #38820 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

Hmm... yes, should go for the safer -15.5 for $1.40 or the -21.5 for $1.65... decisions decisions...

Good idea starting a thread before the game though, don't want to anger the Post Gestapo by starting one afterwards!

The Kings guards are gonna get so run over by Damo and Beal it's going to be very painful viewing as a Kings fan... I wouldn't be surprised if Thornton goes off at half time crying and doesn't come back on in the second...

Reply #573388 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Hope they play the Wildcats Rap video on the screen to get us pumped, a shame it was created before Vlahov and Grace joined..

Reply #573393 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Kings punch above their weight with Childress on the floor, especially when he runs the point. Perth are in cruise mode at the moment waiting for the home cooking to come their way - they could get a big surprise.

Reply #573400 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Anyone can beat anyone as we've seen, but hope Heritage Round provides extra motivation and focus for the Cats.

Reply #573403 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I don't think Perth are in cruise mode at all - They know what's at stake here and desperately need a win.

Reply #573415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings will play hard but defence been bad all year exspecially the guards. The new 7ft dude might surprise a bit exspecially with Knight out. This might be closer than it looks but can't see cats losing.

Reply #573422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah its a shame that those that use the excuse I went to the game simply can't post a topic before the game. commences.http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-coach-trevor-gleeson-expects-sydney-kings-import-josh-childress-to-get-hostile-reception-at-perth-arena/news-story/45ce3d730712c08469cf822544a889fe
It's just an excuse for all the fans to now abuse Childress.

Reply #573429 | Report this post

What difference does it make when the thread is created?

Reply #573432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson should shut his mouth. He is forever giving other teams/players motivation to perform aka stick it up the Wildcats.
Just shut up and fart Trevor.

Reply #573433 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He doesn't really say much, just "The Red Army will be all over him"...
Personally, I hope he's wrong.

Childress and Wagstaff collided, it was a bit rough, and Childress had a bit of a brain-fart and shoved Wagstaff (with a raised forearm.) He got kicked out and suspended, served his time. He was new to the league, still feeling his way, had probably been told it was a tough league and didn't want to back down, and he over-reacted.
Since then he has been a great ambassador for the league, the game, and his team.

I contrast that to Conklin who behaved like a thuggish prick before, during, and after his collision with Martin.
I was more than happy to boo myself hoarse against Conklin, I won't being doing any of that for Childress, and I hope nobody else does.

Reply #573434 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I always get nervous when we rest players. Seems to send a signal to the other players that we're not too worried about the game, and those results are never good.
This game has "MUST WIN" written all over it. We CAN cover Knight's absence, but everyone else has to be on their toes, and others need to step up especially on the boards.

Reply #573435 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I worry when we rest players too. But in the case of Matty I guess you can't take any chances.

As for Trevor, he's probably on the money predicting a hostile reception for Childress from the #RedArmy.
The Cats crowd doesn't need much of an excuse to target a player at the best of times, so the Wagstaff incident the last time he was in town is more than ample reason to give Josh a hard time.

Reply #573441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You care why SC?

Reply #573443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No reason to remind them at all. #Provocative

Reply #573444 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... Anons needing to get a life worrying about when a thread is created...

I'd forgotten about Jordan coming on board, it will be interesting to see how he is used and matches up against Jervis and Jawai... Will be a good learning experience for him I think, and he's got five fouls to burn, so opefully it's him who picks them up and not Tommy or Gus...

As for the no shooters comment, I think we can all agree that is any team needs a boost to their outside shooting confidence, it will most likely come when playing the Kings... terrible perimeter defence and didn't Wagstaff outscore us in the last half in Sydney? ugh...

Reply #573491 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think we can all agree that is any team needs a boost to their outside shooting confidence, it will most likely come when playing the Kings"

Haha, so true!

Reply #573494 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

That pass to Wagstaff on the sideline is justice for the stupid number of times the Wildcats get up off the bench and just stand there.

Reply #573552 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jawai loves been physical when he is on offense and uses it extensively

But hates when players are physical back.

Seems good at dishing it out but can't take it.

Reply #573557 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Lights out in the third. Good night Sydney

Reply #573560 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

After that pathetic 1st quarter and a few minutes into the second thanks to Prather Perth look a little better. Still long way off the mark from the Hawks.

Reply #573561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a Kings player named Indiana Faithful? W T F

Reply #573563 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cats still look very ordinary to me.
Somehow the kings are managing to be about 30 points worse than very ordinary.

Reply #573564 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

This is worst then the Hawks thumping. The Kings after quarter time have looked awefull

Reply #573565 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Another game 3 v 8 that's a killing. Kings nothing to play for but once again it shows the lack of depth in this country of basketball talent. Roll on the finals. These round games are a farce

Reply #573567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings season have been over for some time now and they need to have a hard think about their roster for next season starting with Childress. He look like he was playing at half past protecting himself from getting injured again and that's a poor attitude for someone who owe to the Kings and should play hard every night!

Thornton should be on the Red Eye flight back to the US!

Jason Cadee didn't seem like his head was in the game and therefore wasn't up for the challenge.

Carter is just a street baller who makes a 3 every 10 shots is better off playing pickup basketball. He will be looking for his 12 team in 12 season next year.

Hill doesn't know his role and try to fit in where ever he can.

Prewster when the kings are playing he is solid other times he look out of place.

Indiana Faithful isn't at nbl level and should thank kings assistant coach jackomas for persuading the organisation tp put him in the lineup.

Garlepp by far is the most consistent kings player this season, unfortunately he will be off to the Brisbane Bullets next season.

Connolly clearly cant coach despite pleading to the king ownership he would like to coach again next season. He should thank the Tim Hudson for the opportunity to replace cotter which was a terrible decision and should be on the 1st flight back to the US after the kings last game.

2015/16 season for the Kings Players, Coaches, Management and Owners has been EMBARRASSING!!!

Reply #573568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for Garlepp to the Bullets you can add Jawai to that list also.

Reply #573569 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

How does a coach NOT get a tech foul for running onto the court, snatching the ball, and using it to argue with the ref?
The guy is a tool, and and embarrassment to not only the Kings but the League.

Reply #573573 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

WTF was Garlepp doing when he whacked Hire in the Chops? Probably should have been a foul, I guess, but couldn't really understand what he was doing. Ball nowhere near them and going the other way, Hire sitting on the floor, and he just randomly throws his arms out.

Reply #573574 | Report this post

Now that we know you sit on the baseline behind the basket when watching games, can you tell us which way you face?

Reply #573575 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Sydney and Perth can keep Garlepp/Jawai. Please.

Reply #573576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely it's time to pack Thorntons bag, he has delivered nothing since he's been here. The Kings don't have enough team players, there all pre madonnas, I take chill out that but his injuries have not let him have a fair go. It looks like a very unhappy unit and Connolly was on a hiding to nothing. The owners either got but out or get out and let a coach pick his squad. They need a point guard as Cadee is a 2 guard, Brandt has improved heaps but should be back up 5, hopefully garlepp stays, hill prewster are ok off the bench. Hopefully the next coach is in the job early and can put his squad together and if Connolly is the man make sure he is here all winter to check out all local talent and don't believe if you been to college means you can play. Get some hardness into the team, maybe even try one or squad players by seasons end to see what they bring.

Reply #573590 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Anonymous you're 100% on the ball there!

Kings need an overhaul. They need a quality point guard to run the show & a BIG roster overhaul. It'll be a devastating loss if Garlepp goes, he's the glue right now that's keeping them respectable.

Coach needs to blood all his development guys this season to give them a taste & take a look at what's in store for next season. Give the 6'9" dreadlocked kid a go.

And give minutes to the guys that play with heart consistently. Brandt has been impressive this season, but needs better D around him to help him out... I'm hoping the Kings change it up for the last few games & stop being on the end of blowout scorelines.

Reply #573592 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The Kings suck. That is all.

Reply #573595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not over react to a loss against a quality Perth side away from home. Yes the kings are struggling against the big clubs right now but they beat cairns 3 games ago. There's no need to get carried away and just stay chucking all the development players on. If anything it's about finding out who of the starters should be retained for next season. Cadee needs to be a backup. You can't win in this league without an American offensive creator in the backcourt.

Reply #573596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that the biggest crowd of the season for Perth? Also, what is the background of that development player who came on at the end? Looks like the first DP for a while who might amount to a rotation player down the line. Looked very confident, like an instant offense type guy

Reply #573597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings have the worst D i have ever seen in the NBL...

You can tell the mind set of the players when they go on the court. They just seem to be interested in padding there stats....Thats all....They dont want to exert any energy on defense.

Reply #573606 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I haven't seen much of the Kings this season, and was really surprised by the 2nd half collapse.
They got off to a good start, and I would say had the better of the Cats for most of the 1st quarter, then at least stayed competitive in the 2nd. At half-time, I still thought we had a game on our hands, but in the 2nd half the Kings just collapsed.

Nice to see that Tommy Garlepp has finally found a home and come good, he was very consistent last night, but it was as though everyone else just forgot how to execute.

Reply #573611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #573596
re: Wildcats vs Kings - Jan 15
Let's not over react to a loss against a quality Perth side away from home. Yes the kings are struggling against the big clubs right now but they beat cairns 3 games ago. There's no need to get carried away and just stay chucking all the development players on. If anything it's about finding out who of the starters should be retained for next season. Cadee needs to be a backup. You can't win in this league without an American offensive creator in the backcourt.

If the Kings after two coaches and season nearly over don't no who can and can't play I'd say it's not an over reaction. All sides are quality compared to the Kings. I would not chuck all the development players in but let's see who can play. Please no moreThornton, it's never looked liked he wants to be hear. I'm also not certain Cadee sees himself as a back up, he's more a combo guard. Get in someone that can defend talls and smalls.

Reply #573614 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anyone catch what Nate did to earn the tech?
I barely saw the original foul, and didn't see the follow-up. Did he mouth off at the Ref?

Reply #573666 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

He talked back to the Ref.

Reply #573667 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"You can't win in this league without an American offensive creator in the backcourt."

You can but you have to have very good locals like Brisbane in 07 (Bruton, Black and Gibson) or the Dragons in 09 (Gibson, Ingles and Carter).

Reply #573671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Connelly joins the Shane Heal club after the game, throwing his players under the bus and claiming that none of the loss was his fault. Pathetic. What a disgrace and embarrassment this organization is. Anyone who thinks Connelly should be back next season should have his head examined.

Reply #573677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's unfortunate that the Kings owners haven't any real knowledge about running the club professionally. Until they all pull their heads in nothing will changeand the Kings will continue to be mediocre at best.

Reply #573679 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The NBL really can't afford Sydney to continue like this. LK would be well aware of this.

Reply #573680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney have pretty much been a joke since their existence, except when Brian Goorjian was coach. I guess that just highlights how good a coach he is. I don't think anything is going to be changing any time soon just because it has now been 'identified' that Sydney needs to be better. That's been known for around 25 years now.

Reply #573683 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Goorjian was a good coach, but I wonder how much of his teams' success came out of the fact they were star studded sides which blatantly abused the salary cap?

Reply #573852 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sure, although plenty of Sydney sides before him also made a mockery of the salary cap (IIRC it was Sydney that started the trend of taking the piss) without success resulting from it. At least Goorj got some titles to show for it, so he must have been doing something right. (Being the Boomers coach at the time also helped with recruiting of course)

Reply #573854 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Looking at my first Kings championship framed thing, I wouldn't say that that team was star studded... Hammer, Matty, Chris Williams were top quality, but I wouldn't say Kavossy was a super star, although very good, neither was Melmeth or the likes of Boodnikoff, Stiffy or Sheridan...

Reply #573869 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Seriously? That team had all bases covered. True, it wasn't one of the absolutely loaded teams in NBL history, but the mix of superstars, stars, shooters, bigs, defenders etc was very good.

Reply #573875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Williams is one of the best imports the NBL has seen too imo, he could do it all, bar shoot the 3 at a high level, was just silky smooth and could do it at both ends

Reply #573879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings had lots of changes over there 3 peat teams, Gorgian was a genius could just put the pieces together. Williams was only fantastic at the Kings.

Reply #573883 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Williams ranked third in the Euroleague efficiency ratings in his only season (which is how i believe they determine MVP). He cut up that competition, he was truly world class.

Reply #573892 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Paul, I didn't say they weren't extremely well balanced, I said they weren't star studded... You're right they had a great mix and as Anon said above, Goorj was great at getting the right mix of players (and then getting the best out of them). Something that is a glaring weakness in the Kings this season, and in fact, since they came back into the league, because they have the wrong people picking the players... They pick the wrong players and interfere, then wonder why they can't get the best coach available...

They need to advertise the job now, state clearly that the successful candidate will have X, Y, Z players available, but will be able to pick their team with no interference. Do it now, so then they can hit the ground running by the end of the season, be familiar with existing players, retain who they want before the FA period opens and then chase who they want at the start, or before the FA period begins... I keep saying it and I feel like I'm Dumbledore at the end of Goblet of Fire banging my head against the wall of the MoM, but I'll keep saying it until someone listens, I guess...

Reply #573900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee ,
one hundred percent right about the coach, get who they want in place with in a month of seasons end, advertise the position now or if they have faith in Connolly reappoint him and let the players there now no he's coaching next season and see if any of them lift their game or still do as they like. Find a coach that comes from a team back ground not just gone through the systems. Bj carter has done well with his Waratah teams, Luke Kendal, Ben knight, all ex Gordgian players and Kings men.

Reply #573945 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"@Paul, I didn't say they weren't extremely well balanced, I said they weren't star studded"

I think they were pretty loaded, not all-time greatest loaded, but a 'big four' of Williams, Nielsen, Franklin and Heal is pretty darn good when they have great role players around them.

Reply #573948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754