Dazz
Years ago

Why must Refs be Pricks?

In what I imagine was his first ever NBL game, Development Player Ben Dixon (suiting up because Vague is injured) drained a 3 on the final buzzer.
From where I was sitting (behind the baseline) I reckon he got it off in time and the ball was in the air when the clock ran out. Although I'm happy to be corrected on that by somebody who watched the replay.

Either way, Cats up by 27 points, you'd think the Ref could let the kid have it, but no had to waive it off.
If letting him have his moment is such a worry, then FFS go look at the replay, but no, just be a prick about it.

Topic #38827 | Report this topic

Are you suggesting they let a score count just because it's a young kid having his moment in the sun?

Reply #573571 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes.
Either give him the benefit of the doubt, or if they must be anal about it, then watch the replay.

Reply #573572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh dear.

Reply #573577 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

So Dazz, if a series split was on the line, would you also have the refs give the kid the points? From where I was sitting, it seemed clearly late but I havent seen a replay. The refs do a bad enough job already without complicating their lives further.

Reply #573578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rules are rules. You cant possibly be seriouse?

Reply #573580 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was clearly late.

Reply #573582 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

In fairness to Dazz, if his seat was behind the baseline ... approx 170 metres behind the baseline ... then the sound of the buzzer would have arrived at his ears around half a second later, while the view of the ball leaving Dixon's hands would have been virtually un-delayed, thus giving the perception of the score being valid.
I suggest he upgrades from nickel to bronze.

Reply #573583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe if the Cats don't win the championship, their younger players could get special participation medals so they don't feel a bit sad?

Reply #573584 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah , no offence but what the hell mate? I was also at the game and he shot AFTER the buzzer. Too late. Seems like a good player though.

Reply #573591 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

In fairness I think he is invoking the same rule as in Under 8s where it is not a travel the first time you forget to dribble - you just get the rules explained at the next break of play.

In this case the appropriate outcome would have been to count the basket and just have a quiet word with the poor little guy after the game to encourage him to get the shot off sooner next time.

Reply #573593 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Guys dont be like that pesky ref doing his job, someone anyone agree with Dazz! This is very odd thing to brong up, surely you coudldnt have expected people to agree at NBL level theyd do this.

Reply #573598 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yep, you've upset Superclown Chalmers now Dazz. Be careful!

BTW: Your post is ridiculous bro.

Reply #573608 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The refs looked at it at the score bench for a while before they exited the court. Unless they were just chatting about how to properly use a whistle before going into the lockers.

Reply #573610 | Report this post

Numbers  
Years ago

The refs did look at the tape and decided it was late.

Not sure what else you would expect them to do. Moronic if anyone suggests anything other than exactly what they did.

Reply #573615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget that Dixon had already hit a three earlier too. So it wasn't his first basket and perhaps the refs therefore decided to treat it like any other shot

Reply #573618 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon even if had never stepped on a court before in his life, that shot does not count unless it is in time. This is not a bush league, no matter what Marty Clarke thinks.

Reply #573625 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Isaac what's with the low sarcasm comments. You can't be lecturing people about standards and behaviour on the one hand and talk crap and take cheap shots on the other.

Do as I say not as I what I do?

Reply #573675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I ridiculed OP's post, not OP. OP painted themselves poorly enough with their topic; didn't need me to help them with that.

Reply #573790 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754