Air Delay
Years ago

The Kings Guards

As a former Kings fan (until I moved down the coast over a decade ago & fell in love with the Hawkies : ) ) it really saddens me to see them struggle...

I was chatting with some basketball buddies recently & we all agree, YOU NEED A POINT GUARD to run the show, & Caddee & Thornton are NOT 1 men. Take a look at the other guards around the league & Sydney pales in comparison.

Moving forward I think Caddee could play quite well as a 6th man &/or with a STRONG point guard next season.

So my question... Why oh why are the Kings still playing Thornton? They can't make the playoffs, there's no way he'll be with them next year, so why?. What benefit do the Kings get out of it?

I feel for Coach Joe, pretty tough to run a team missing some big guns & lacking leadership at the point.

Topic #38837 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good post air D, makes a lot sence in all areas. I think every coach has felt the pressure since there been back, management got work with there coaches or it's a total shit fight. Point guard is a key component missing plus a few more defensive minded players.

Reply #573882 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

They need to keep working with Thornton probably because of some sort of deal with the Celtics. Probably can't be dropped for the whole season regardless or something

Reply #573885 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well, had their management agreed to sign Lisch to play combo alongside Cadee I don't think they'd have any issues in the backcourt!

Reply #573893 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Totally agree, paul, even that ONE single roster change would have made SUCH a huge difference to our season... He would have kept the team focused, lead by example at both ends and really kept them in games single handedly, I have no doubt...

Some people have said that maybe $$$ was the issue, but with I think only $150K needing to go against Chill's marquee contract under the cap, surely they could have managed it?

Reply #573902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did they lets Kev White go? He has developed in to a very serviceable NBL rotation player!

Reply #573907 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

If Lisch was a King, the team would be in the playoffs. Full stop! Caddee would have benefitted massively & had way more space to operate on the wings. Plus, Caddee runs a pick and roll pretty well & having a shooter of Lisch's calibre as a kick out or skip pass option woulda made Caddee kill it off those picks!

Any news on who the Kings have signed for next season? If Garlepp goes that's a massive shot in the heart : (

Reply #573923 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

It all comes down to the coach.

The good coach attracts the good players to their club. They also run good plays and instil confidence. The Hawks offensive plays get open shots, the Kings get one on one plays with shots under pressure.

Kevin White were absolutely useless for 3 years with the Kings, but Bevo has taught him, Ellis and Weeks to shoot well and play smart.

Reply #573925 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Thornton can't be scrapped because of contract with Celtics.

Reply #573926 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Every year the Kings miss out of the PG/SG position.

Reply #573927 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think Markovic was supposed to play a significant PG role this season, but that hasn't worked out... Things could have been a bit different if he'd have been able to play a bigger role, but not nearly as significant as if we'd have gotten Lisch...

Spot on re: White, his flaws are much easier to cover up when you have Lisch, Penney, AJ, Forman and even Martin and Coenraad on the same team, as well as a proper coach...

Can't attract a good coach when you pick the team for them and don't let them run it the way they know it should be run...

Reply #573929 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

White hasn't really improved but is being better utilised by Bevo & as Wookiee says, he has the players around him to cover for his shortcomings of offense. Look at his stats in the breakers game... 16:39 minutes on 0-2 shooting & 4 fouls. No Kings fans would be shedding any tears about his loss.

Weeks has had some great games with the Hawks but is not consistent & can be a liability on defence.

Ellis still runs hot & cold just as he did with the Kings but his clutch shooting in the Breakers game was definitely one of if not his best ever performance.

Reply #573953 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Last season White's efficiency rating was 2.4 in 12 mins per game. This season it's 5.5 in 16mpg. That's an improvement even without factoring in the more important defensive role he plays for the Hawks than he did at Sydney.

Reply #573958 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The season before White was supposed to be the Kings defensive player of the year, but last season took a huge dive in that aspect as well...

If I had five cents and then I got another five cents, that's a 100% improvement, but it's still only ten cents...

Reply #573962 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think playing an important role on one of the league's best teams - being the front man for their disruptive defence that sets the tempo for their offence - is a significant improvement over playing a small role on one of the league's worst teams, but maybe I'm messed up!

Reply #573966 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

No, Wookiee is referring to the Australian dollar, I believe you Paul, are referring to the American dollar.

Reply #574014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haha!

Reply #574015 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The same thing happens every game - they'll play alright for a bit and then bam they"ll go through this ridicolous period when they don't run the offense, take bad shots and generally run around like headless chickens.

They need a PG in these times to just slow them down, organise the troops and get them through their stuff - I suppose they had intended someone like Markovic to play this role with Cadee and Thornton being the more edgy and aggressive guards.

What's actually really funny is that the way the Breakers are playing now through this stretch is the way the Kings have been playing all season. The parallels are exactly the same - poor shots, not running offense, quick shots, players trying to do more than they can do.

Reply #574018 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Currently they are The QUEEN's Guards, they won't be The King's Guards again until Charles takes the throne.

Reply #574072 | Report this post

keep the yank  
Years ago

wookiee is on the money

Reply #574100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings move = letting Weeks walk, then the very next year signing him to a big contract which he under-performs due to injury and coaching.

I can see the Kings doing this next season.

Reply #574102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754