Anonymous
Years ago

Which NBL veterans have played too long?

Each year some vets are touch and go whether they should go on but interested to hear people's thoughts on those who went on one too long or should hang them up to preserve their reputation.

Trigger, Loughton and Burston

Redhage

Schenscher

Markovic, Carter

Ere (will naturally be gone)

Is there enough young talent coming through and are they getting enough mins especially with new franchise coming in?

Sobey is a super talent and if he avg 20 mins a night which he is capable of now he could be a passing of the torch I feel as a league. College kid, super athletic and two way player fans will come to see. I understand he's not Goulding yet but we need some of these college kids to impact the league on their return.

You need leadership but fine with between that and list cloggers with the old heads.

Topic #38839 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Sobey is a long way off the level required.
As is Teys.

Reply #573873 | Report this post

I dont think anyone should ever be criticised for going "one season too many" . Play til you can't, you can't knock a bloke for wanting to get everything out of his body and career.

Why would you contemplate retirement when you are still capable?

Reply #573876 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1*

* unless they are rubbish

Reply #573880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher has not played, neither has Markovic, redage and Loughton are shadows of there former selves. The clubs should know when to hire and fire.

Reply #573884 | Report this post

What indication was there last season that Loughton was going to become a much lesser player? It's really easy to say all this in hindsight.

Reply #573886 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

U put Wilbekin in with these Cairns guys & they are top 2 again. He brought them all together last season. Just a shame we lost him.

Of course Fearney is gonna keep a squad together that finished top last season. Starks can flat out hoop but he aint Wilbekin!!

Reply #573895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until the club doesn't re-sign you why not keep getting them checks!

Some of those blokes mentioned haven't worked full time jobs before so stepping back into work could be tough!

Reply #573906 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I think you also need to take into consideration if any of the players you listed are still chewing up a lot of Courttime /starting 5. If not their career is probably effectively increased by about 3-4 years, as their aging body is better capable of sudden bursts of energy.

Redhage in particular I think could go another maybe 2-3 years as long as he remains a Bench player.

Reply #573910 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Burston still starting. Loughton and Tragardh have something to give but Fearne has cast them aside to prioritise Worthington and Burston as better defensively, I presume.

Haven't seen much of Redhage.

Carter had been shooting well recently.

I imagine Sobey's minutes are down because he isn't fitting smartly within the rotation? IMO, that's almost always the reason players are underplayed - weaker D and basketball IQ.

Reply #573913 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Loughton showed last season why he shouldn't have been brought back. I suspect (hope) he's cheap but that's not really a good enough reason to keep him. Makes too many poor and costly decisions on both offence and defence.

Redhage, Burston and Trigger still have 1-2 years to offer off the bench.

Sobey would be a gun if given the green light like Goulding.

Reply #573959 | Report this post

keep the yank  
Years ago

redhage of the bench still has plenty to offer

Reply #574098 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Larry Davidson is the big one that stands out for me. He used to be a great player, but he's just looked so out of touch this season. The Hawks could really use his height, but every time I see him play, he is a negative. None of his weapons work anymore.

Reply #574101 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The good thing about Basketball, with 5 on and five off, is that there's a role for guys who only play 5 minutes when everyone's fit. Plus in the case of Veterans, its their ability to play huge minutes that fades as they get older.

For a team like the Cats, the points are the limiting factor. Next season, Redhage could easily drop to 6 or 7 points, which with his loyalty bonus makes him a 2~3 point player. Fantastic value to play 5~10 minutes off the bench.
(The only thing that might count against him playing on is the logjam of forwards on the bench.

Different for a journeyman, but I still think young guys get opportunity if they warrant it.

Schenscher has been knackered by injury this season, and whilst that can be a factor of age, I don't think the Crocs could have predicted it when they hired him. It may well be that he retires, sometimes that happens, players have the decision forced upon them by repeated injury. But when you finish a season having played 30 games @ 17.5 minutes per, you can't fault a guy for thinking he can play on.

Reply #574103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754