Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets Targets

Earlier in the week Boti posted 5 target Brisbane are after Adam Gibson, Chris Goulding, Rhys Martin,Brock Motum and Nathan Jawai.

I think they should also be chasing Tom Garlepp and Cam Bairstow should he leave the NBA which is likely.

Topic #38864 | Report this topic

jerry  
Years ago

Cant see Goulding leaving Melbourne. Jawai sure. Nth Queensland boy and Perth probably would not lose to much sleep over losing him.

Reply #574504 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Kestleman while wanting Brisbane to have a good starting team, wont allow Goulding to leave United.

Jawai might leave, its unknown at this point. I know his deal runs out this year but having Knight as a forward has been a really good move for the Wildcats and Jawai has certainly got better as he learns the plays.

Reply #574507 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There are those in FNQ who campaign for a separate state. Whilst I'm sure that Nate probably follows the Cowboys and the Maroons, there's no reason to expect he'd prefer Brisbane over Perth. Anyone know where his partner is from?
It will be interesting to see where Nate goes in our off-season, but at this point I'd say Perth would prefer to keep him.

Whilst I like the idea of getting local players into your team, they need to balance that against getting the best combination they can.

I wonder if they will get any concessions?

Reply #574509 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It will be highly unlikely Jawai remains in Perth. Brisbane will be in with a shot.

Reply #574517 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

Highly unlikely? I would say it is a even money bet. It seems Gleeson has put him in a ideal situation to be successful and the offence runs through him as a big man who can playmake out of the post.He seems to be enjoying his situation as well.

What is not to like?. Playing infront of that crowd? the most professional outfit in the league and a chance of a title with the deepest team in the league which has proven the ability of sustained success?

Reply #574520 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

If Jawai leaves it will be to Cairns. I am happy for someone to say I told you so but don't see him going to Brisbane. With Gibson basically locked in I doubt Rhys goes to Brisbane, but Coenraad maybe. Motum and Goulding obvious targets also, along with possibly Steindl and others if Crocs fold (sorry but we know it's a chance)

Reply #574524 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Those teams who want Nate should consider that Nate's physical condition does not seem to have improved despite the snippets of Nate training the Wildcats show on Twitter.

Nate's minutes per game is the second lowest amongst the Leagues starting Centres @ 20.65 / game. Lowest is the aging Matt Burston. Please note I also used Khazzouh for Sydney as he is the normal Starter instead of Brandt.

Given the above 2 paragraphs, he cannot be the 30mpg Centre that many fans expect.

Perth / Nate are in a beneficial situation where they have Jervis (5) and Knight (4, 5) to combine with Wagstaff and Redhage (3, 4).

To effectively use Nate, teams will need to have a complement of back up bigs.

Then there is the money issue.

Reply #574532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding will leave the United, only came back cause he had to, was under contract before he went to Europe, part of his deal was he had to play for Melbourne if he returns. I think he'll relish the opportunity to play for Lemanis.

Reply #574537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth deserves to keep Jawai.

Reply #574538 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Forgot to mention Teys... unless something has happened at Adelaide I don't know about, surely he will be at the Bullets also. Plays in Brisbane every off-season already..

Reply #574539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan you think Martin staying in Perth or going to the Hawks ?

Reply #574540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didn't Tey's sign a three year deal with Adelaide

Reply #574541 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Did he? If so I stand corrected.. just assumed as soon as there was a Bullets team he would move back, despite his strong relationship with Joey. Surely Martin isn't going anywhere... good relationship with Bevo, NSW boy etc but he just seems like the heart and soul of the Wildcats. I will admit I hate the wildcats but if I played for them I sure wouldn't leave, easily the best fan following/basketball environment. But that's just looking at it from the outside... I wouldn't have thought Penney would be at the Hawks or Jawai at the Wildcats so that's what keeps it interesting

Reply #574542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys just re-signed with the 36ers to a 3 year deal before the start of this season and there was a talk he had a clause in his contract if the 36ers changed coaches and Joey's just signed a 3 year extension.

36ers free agents list at the end of the season:

Randle
Ere

Gibson
Walker
Creek (player option)

Under contract:

Johnson 2 more years
Petrie 2 years
Teys 2 years
Sobey 2 years
Hodgson 1 year

Reply #574544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Bullets spending the LKG's money. What a joke this is already.

Reply #574546 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

IIRC Martin signed a new contract with the Cats to enable them to take advantage of his lowered points. Whilst I have no details I doubt it was a one year deal. Keep in mind that his strengths are ball-handling and defence, he's not the scoring dynamo that many teams want at PG. If he leaves the Cats for a new team, he'll have their fans bitching that he doesn't score enough.

I have no facts to say that Jawai will stay in Perth, but it remains far more likely than him going to Brisbane. Assuming he's on a one-season deal, he can go where he likes, but Brisbane doesn't become more likely just because Perth-haters wish it to be.
Perth have the money to pay him, and the structure to support him. Knight at PF, and Jervis to back up means that Nate can play his game and have an impact for 20~25 minutes. As I said, anything is possible, in the merry-go-round that is the NBL he could wind up anywhere next season, but unless Cairns suddenly have an influx of cash and talent, Perth remains his most likely team.

Reply #574552 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

My theory was Cairns influx of cash would come from the ancient frontcourt of Trigger, Burston and Loughton. Even if Trigger plays on those other two leaving could probably result in Jawai + rookie local

Reply #574559 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

IIRC Cairns does extremely well on a shoestring budget, I don't believe they could afford Jawai. Rumour is that he's Perth's Marquee player, so on good coin.

Reply #574619 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id leave if I was teys, poor bastard cant get any court time.

Reply #574630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I seem to recall Cairns busting the cap for many years.

Reply #574631 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They don't have the money to do that anymore anonymous

Reply #574644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Operation get Weeks.

Reply #574645 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Perth can keep Jawai, give us Jervis instead!

I understand he wouldn't leave WA, but would be great to see that man get max burn every game instead of the scraps he gets whilst Knight is healthy.

Reply #574690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would get around Agent 97 in Brisbane

Reply #574712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754