Dazz
Years ago

Casey Prather - Perth MVP

I think it's happened, I think he has started to surpass Beal...

When the Cats went to the US, saying that they wanted to find a Swingman who could play on the Wing, I was puzzled. My view was that we needed another genuine forward, somebody STRONGER than DD, especially with Redhage getting older.
When I saw the pocket-dynamo they had recruited, I was flabbergasted.
Now, in my defence, I didn't know then that they had their eye on Nate Jawai...

But here's the thing, in terms of exactly fulfilling the role he was recruited for, Prather has become outstanding.

In defence of DD, he may have looked better had he not been asked to post-up, and the the structure
has change with Jawai and Prather, but Casey also has a significant outside game that DD did not, and when required he can run the floor without tripping over his own feet.
Again, with Jawai camped in the key, he's not being asked to defend the post, and his perimeter and on-ball defence is almost on-par with Martin.

Topic #38876 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Don't agree with your post at all.

Daniels was brought in to be another Ennis. The only difference was he was a 4 trying to play the 3.

If anything he was more comfortable in the post.

DD success was that he demonstrated that at NBL level you can't recruit an import in the hope of teaching them to play a new position they never played in college.

Prather would have been a great fit last season too.

Given our current roster, the cats NEED a swing man.

Prather has come into his own the second half of the season. He's gained confidence and his now comfortable in his role.

He's stepped up big time which is better for beal too.

I'd be happy to keep Prather for next season with Beal and a naturalised Lisch.

Reply #574791 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

And right on cue, Wildcats have just announced that Prather will miss tonights game with hamstring tightness. :(

Reply #574792 | Report this post

And right on cue, some bookies have got Cairns at $5.50 for a straight win....

Reply #574794 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I disagree with your opening thread too, I think Deandre was a bloody decent player and I wouldn't be surprised if NBL clubs come calling him in the future, had Gleeson put Redhage at the 3 last season and DD at the 4 then he may have played his more natural game.

I love Prather but I don't think he is out MVP this season and Beal sure as hell isn't, Marty knight is our best and most consistent player and if he doesn't win All NBL first team honoured then he was unlucky as Daniel Kickert would get that nod or maybe Tommy Garlepp of late.

Dolla is having a very inconsistent season and I'd say that Webster, Goulding, Jett, Gliddon and Lisch/Kirkish Delight have been better shooting guards this season. If your better than Gibson and Thornton then that's not much to brag about

Reply #574862 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure what people have been smoking? A celebratory Australia Day bong?

My opening paragraphs are simply stating (for context) what my (incorrect) opinion was at the time. So you can't disagree with that, its simply a reiteration of fact...

I then go to the crux of my post, that Prather is doing an outstanding job in the role he was recruited for and is being asked to play.
If you disagree with that, then you really should consider dialling back the strength of whatever mind-altering drugs you're consuming.

As for the MVP. Beal IS the reigning MVP however after a quiet start I think Prather has surpassed him. That is simply an opinion, nothing to get your panties in a wad over.
Perhaps I should have said that if things continued going in the same direction. Prather had a quiet start, missed a few games, but has now come good. Of course he's now missed another game, and if injuries continue then all bets are off.

As for Knight, yep he had a great start to the season, and has continue at a reasonable clip. I certainly would not be surprised or disappointed if he took out our MVP.
In terms of season to date, I would have them as follows: Beal, Knight, Prather.
But in terms of current form, I think Prather has closed the gap.
It will be interested to see how the last 5 games play out.

Reply #574879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People don't have to agree with you DAZZ, they are allowed an opinion as well!

Doesn't mean you need to be so defensive and abusive either.

Reply #574899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Prather is the best SF in the league, so Perth MVP isnt too far fetched imo, he should be a contender for it if not the winner imo.

Reply #574937 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Prather might have missed the regular season award with his injuries, but he's on target for the finals.
Damo has also stepped it up a treat.

Any way, I really hope that we keep Prather for next season. (Unless Ennis comes back, that would be a tough call.)
He has slotted into that SF role exceptionally well. Hopefully with more time in the league, he'll give away less fouls.

Reply #580723 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The great thing about this Perth team is they don't have a standout MVP, they are deep and unselfish.

Over the course of the season Beal, Prather, Martin, Knight, Jawai, Jervis and Wagstaff have all been match-winners at some point. Then Kenny, Redhage and Hire have all been strong contributors at times.

This team is so good at executing, going to their advantages on the night and taking what the defence gives them.

Reply #580741 | Report this post

Prather is definitely our most important player. His aggressivicity and early baskets in game 3 set the tone for the rest of the game.

Reply #580743 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Knight and Martin are just as important, and in terms of beating NZ, Beal and Jawai will also be very important because they can actually put the Breakers D into rotations.

Prather's great, but he usually does his best work after someone else has shifted the defence, similar to the way Ennis played (and Donta Smith for the Dragons in 09).

Reply #580745 | Report this post

I won't disagree with that.

I guess what I should say is that Prathers game style complements the team perfectly. He's exactly what Deandre Daniels wasn't.

Ogilvy thinks Prather is pretty good. He reckons he has superhuman strength in his right hand and is quite a good dunker.

Reply #580750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Prather is interested in staying? At only 24 years of age, it would be exciting if he could become a long-term Wildcat player.

Reply #580754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would all come down to if he still wants to make the NBA and if he decides if he still wants to try for the NBA.

If like to see Prather stay.

Especially if this 3 import rule goes ahead.

Reply #580758 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, the way his game has developed this season I expect he'd be aiming higher than NBL.

Actually ... the way his game has developed this season, he'd be crazy not to stick around for another season and let it develop even further in this proven development environment ;)

Reply #580759 | Report this post

Imagine how good he'd be after ten years here. He should consider it.

Reply #580760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If not the NBA(unlikely) then Europe should be his next destination where he can earn top dollar!

Reply #580764 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would expect Prather to be earning pretty good coin in Europe next season, in a league where he can play defense without being called for a foul every defensive possession.

Reply #580774 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Some of those whistles are his own fault for not adjusting though.

Reply #580776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather could've got a European gig out of college couldn't he? But he opted for the d league. Maybe the dollars of Europe aren't everything and he either wants to play NBA or a league or environment he enjoys? Hopefully...

Reply #580778 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I guess what I should say is that Prathers game style complements the team perfectly. He's exactly what Deandre Daniels wasn't."

Agree 100%, he's almost the perfect fit for this team, at both ends.

There isn't the same money in Europe there used to be, if Perth are looking after him I'd say there is a decent chance they could keep him, unless he gets an NBA camp invite of course.

Reply #580789 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes absolutely, he has become the perfect fit into that SF slot.
Obviously if we didn't have such a abundance of big bodies banging away it would be different, but that's the whole idea of a team.

I really hope that he will stay, and hopefully be one of those guys that plays in Puerto Rico or similar in the off-season.
Unlike our previous two he was never actually drafted, and whilst impressive in the D-Legaue that doesn't seem to have progressed. I'm sure he's be up for another crack, but realistically what are his chances. Heck even Ennis can't get a regular NBA gig.

The impression I have (which could be wrong) is that he's a little small to play as a SF in the NBA or the major Euro-leagues? He can shoot 3's but he doesn't attempt many, which is not surprising when you see how easily he can get to the basket.

Reply #580816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754