Tom
Years ago

NBL considering three imports plus Asian player

Taken from Boti Nagy's Blog:

"THE NBL is considering moving to three imports next season, while additionally adding an Asian player to club rosters.

The Asian player would not be deemed as an import but part of the league's push into Asia.

While the mere suggestion of three imports will have some diehards screaming how much that will impact on the development of Australian players - an argument can be made having only seven Australian-based teams already has hampered that development, and it wouldn't stick - the truth is the NBL is a professional league.

It's further popularity, growth and revenue-creating opportunities may hinge on making decisions some in the basketball-purist sector will find unpalatable and that would be a shame.

But the truth is, the NBL owes almost zero to development and everything to having an attractive alternative entertainment product the masses can embrace.

When the league launched as the NIBL in 1979, it was largely to give teams across Australia tougher competition and to give national selectors the chance to pick from our elite best.

It was from those noble beginnings we have today's league, which, let's be honest, would be no-where if Larry Kestelman hadn't bought in as Executive Director.

In 1979, the league needed import restrictions - even though contrarily that year St Kilda won with the only all-Australian championship-winning team in NBL history - because it was producing players for the Boomers.

But these days, the bulk of the Boomers are playing in the NBA, European leagues and even the NCAA. The handful who qualify through the NBL will in no way be hindered by facing more quality players, even if their passport isn't stamped "Australian".

When the NBL's ideas flow into the public domain, they are sure to incite discussion and some passionate rebuttal.

But anything which helps keep the league going forward has to be given consideration over where the league was when it was going backwards."

What are everyones thoughts on this? Personally I'm all for it the better level of talent the better off the NBL is.

Topic #38900 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im all for it too

Most rosters have a bit of a gap and a 3rd import could help fill it at an acheivable price imo

Eg. The 36ers need a rim protecting big man, eg Ebekwe Gladness, im pretty sure you could sign one of those guys for cheaper than Ogilvy or Jawai or even Jervis or Brandt

The more talent the better imo, no matter what nationality, its pro basketball which is about high quality sport and entertainment not developing young aussies, the best young aussies will get gigs either way

The 3rd imports dont need to be MVPs either if clubs cant afford that, it could be a SEABL/NZ NBL type import whome you can often get good value for money, i beleive young imports like LAnce Hurdle who was decent was on min salary, which is awesome value for money when you compare to aussies on min salary

They could make a points cap adjustment so you could essentially replace your 10th man with a import for the same money, which would be a great way to go imo, and increase the talent level of the league.

Reply #575503 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Im for allowing 3 imports. With atleast 8 aussies on a team at the moment we have at least 64 australians in the league not including development players etc. If the league grows to 12 teams, with 3 imports, there will still be an additional 20 more Australian spots. Any more than that and I believe the talent will begin to water down.

Reply #575504 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I'm for it too.

Hopefully it means some of the spuds who are on lists now go back to the bush leagues.

Reply #575506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue I see is that we will lose our best to get the money OS and others who aren't at euro or other league standard see no progression will have to chose a none basketball profession to survive. this will have a domino effect on leagues like SEABL and we will see more opt for college and other pathways. We don't have a big enough population to support loads of teams like the US or Europe and alike. be careful what you wish for and calculate the logistics and demographics. I don't mind 2 imports and marquee but add an Asian who will I guess expect starting props for marketing and have massive contractual obligations for tv rights and so on. That's a huge reduction of space for local talent. Be assured this is about making money, power ownership and betting royalties. Pace yourself Australia so you can negotiate and ensure our interests here are taken care of and don't sell off yet another Aussie employment opportunity.

Reply #575508 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Um, maybe you need to fix the OP title?
Raising restrictions means MORE restrictions not less...

Reply #575509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings carried Thornton all season, if you bring in extra import they had better be good ones. Rosters should be expanded to 12 if an extra import comes in, give coaches a chance to drop players performing badly.

Reply #575513 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's a stupid idea.
It's at best unnecessary and would achieve nothing.
At worst it makes it easier for wealthy clubs to exploit the system.

There's nothing magical about the number two, and in reality whether you have 1, 2, or 3 players born O/S is not really going to effect the quality of the league. Saying "oh my team needs an X, so lets grab another import" is absurd. Any team can always be improved by the addition of a better player. That is NOT the problem facing the league.

The perennial challenge for the NBL is maintaining enough viable teams for a competitive league.

The import restriction is simply one of the brakes applied to teams, that in some ways tries to enforce equality. Increasing the number of imports would simply allow the teams with money to buy in more talent.

Think about it, if we had 3 import slots this season Lisch would be playing for the Wildcats, and imagine how much stronger MU and NZ would be.

Contrary to popular misconception, there is not an infinite sea of quality imports ready and waiting. Finding those good enough, but not good enough to play in Europe, and willing & able to come for the money we're offering, narrows the field. That's why not all imports thrive. So wealthy clubs would simply get first dibs on even more players.

Reply #575514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enforcing a points cap and/or salary cap, should prevent Perth keeping there current roster and adding say Lisch for Kenny, they would have to let a 9 or 10 point guy go to fit Lisch in, so it means Perth shake a 9 or 10 point player lose to other clubs or go with 2 imports still.

So some of the strong teams may not use it,

but it allows a weaker team with points to burn get a more talented player even a NZ NBL cheaper import and round out a stronger roster than currently possible.

This keeps the league more competitive and stronger imo,

Yes it doesnt prevent bad import selections, but not all imports would be recruited to be stars either, i think alot of the time the 3rd import would be a cheaper player, but still better than many aussies you could get for the spot/price to fit in the caps.

If a team went with a import 'big 3' they would have less $$ available for star Aussies, so i dont think it would really be an issue

It could actually mean some of the Aussie talent gets spread around a bit more

Ie Perth dont sign Jawai and get Lisch, then JAwai goes to another team

36ers would have to replace someone like Gibson to fit the 3rd import in

Cairns would have to replace someone like Loughton

and so on

So in theory it means some of the bottom teams could potentially have more Aussie talent available to them, or be able to recruit an extra import to compete with the top teams if they chose to keep the Aussies and go with 2 imports.

Reply #575517 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

If we allow 3 imports:

1) Will there be a commensurate increase in the salary cap?

I think this is required as there won't be many imports wanting to come play for minimum.

2) Will we get rid of the Points system?

If a team choose a third import as a role player, its not fair that that player will be worth 10 player points. So few teams if any would ever burn 10 points on such a player.

Reply #575522 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's going to be a massive boon to teams with the ability to pay for 3 quality imports, but it could also lead to a more top-heavy league than we have now.

Reply #575533 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

In the 1990s there were around 30 imports in the league and most were reasonable quality. Many didn't play a lot of defence or didn't play it overly well but that made the games fun to watch. Maybe that's what would happen if NBL increased to number of imports allowed. It's hard to say. Would teams opt for a pretty good third import at a high price and therefore cut a high-priced Australian/NZ player? Or would they opt for a journeyman import off the bench and cut a low-priced local? Illawarra currently have only one import anyway, Adelaide reportedly opted for a low-priced import, Melbourne still have Barlow to come back into the team (would they bother with another import?) and Cairns played Craig off the bench for two seasons (until their recent injury problems).

Perth usually go for better quality imports and would probably go that path. Townsville probably don't have money for a high quality third import and Brisbane reportedly might.

Reply #575546 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Like MC I would like to know what they plan to do in terms of salary/points restrictions first.

In essence I've got no problem with allowing 3 imports per team, provided it doesn't kill the parity of the comp or financially hurt the poorer teams.
(In other words, in reality I probably will have a problem with allowing 3 imports)

Reply #575550 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

There's a lot of non-salary cap leagues around the world with little to no parity (ie. same winner for the last 5-10 years or more). If increasing the import limit and raising the cap, or effectively eliminating it by putting it at a level only a couple of teams can reach, pushes our NBL towards that direction, I'm heavily against it.

If it's only a slight boost, then I think a lot of teams will either run with an import-priced Aussie/Kiwi, one quality US import, and one or two SEABL-esque quality guys, or two quality US imports and one or none SEABL types.

Reply #575553 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I'm all for 3 imports.

As far as restrictions and caps go, they could have a tiered system/option system for imports.

E.g. (figures are just made up to show the difference)

1 - Unrestricted/Marquee Import (no dollar limit)
2 - Standard Import ($150 - $200k)
3 - SEABL/SBL Quality Import ($70k - $149k)

Then there could be alternative situations like, if a club that doesn't seen a marquee import can sign two standard imports and a SEABL quality import, or three SEABL quality imports.

Reply #575554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Standard import $150k - $200k. Glad you aren't in charge of an NBL side. That's laughable.

Reply #575556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clubs barely manage the salaries now. Need to take their time to build and consolidate. Go too fast you take too big a risk..

Reply #575557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

RMQ, the top players in the league would get $150-200k.

There'd be multiple MVP candidates this season on around $100k.

SEABL import would be $40-60k. Standard from there to $100k. Proven, strong players would be $100k+.

The most expensive teams would obviously pay more (Melbourne, Perth, Sydney).

Reply #575560 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Will there definitely be 12 teams next season?
Or is only the Brisbane team confirmed at the moment?

Reply #575563 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hold your horses, Aussiebballer. I'm not even convinced there will be 9 teams in the NBL next season!
(but to answer your question, yes, Brisbane are the only one confirmed to be added)

Reply #575567 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Few questions:
Will they keep the points cap?
If they do, will new imports continue to default as 10 points?
How about the Asian player?

The points cap is already pretty restrictive for those good but not great players trying to get into the league. If a club is going to go out and spend 30 points on 3 imports, then have 1 or 2 quality Aussies, and the Asian, that's a big portion of the cap gone. And that's assuming the quality Aussies still get picked up.
What happens with the Brendan Teys, Brad Hill, Rhys Carter types who bring something to the table, but will be 5/6 points into the cap and don't bring too significant a difference to justify the 4/5 points extra over a rookie?

End of the day, it's an Aussie league. Don't really want it to become an import league with Aussies making up the numbers. And don't want to lose the opportunity to see the Khazzouh, Goulding, Penney types playing in the league because of the shiny toy factor with new imports. Also don't want to see the ok-good players fall off because they don't fit anymore.

If they have a definitive plan in mind to expand the league to at least 10 teams, hopefully 12, then I can see this working, as you're basically keeping the Aussie pool constant and just introducing extra imports/Asians. But I don't think it's a good move if we're going to be an 8 team league. Townsville are very much teetering on the edge, so hopefully they have a plan in mind for them especially. Can't see them affording 3 imports and good Aussies.

Reply #575570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hendo you're on the money, plus young players coming through are more likely to take up another sport if there is hardly any spots available.

8 teams x 10 = 80 players. Minus imports 16 = 64. NZ has 8 newzealanders so leaves
56 places fo Australian players, not many.

Reply #575574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would simply add 10 more points for the 3rd import and another 10 for the extra person.
The cap would need to be assessed again, but their obvioulsly isn't one now.

Reply #575577 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Sorry I meant 10 teams :)
ie the current 8 plus Brisbane and anther NZ team.

Reply #575578 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yao Ming to make a comeback..

Reply #575579 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I wonder if they are looking at adding a team in the Philippines.
It wouldn't add that much cost if the teams travel there and play 2 games, so they only have to go once a season.
They are basketball crazy there so they may be interested depending on when their local comps is scheduled.
If they can get Philippines Airlines as a league sponsor that could reduce the costs even further.

Reply #575580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In theory adding an extra import wouldn't cost very many if any aussie jobs if they add brisbane and even a 10th team, some players would just move around.

They could also add some points to the points cap and make rosters 11 so you can add a import to your current roster essentially if they reckon the 3rd import will boost talent and level of play but are concerned with players losing there jobs a bit of best of both worlds.

Reply #575582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If their is an increase in the salary cap, teams will go bust...its as simple as that.

Reply #575589 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

3 imports + Asian player on at the same time leaves room for only 1 Aussie on the court. i don't like the sound of that.

Reply #575590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three imports is good. Let's face it most local players are BORING. Not sure about the Asian player idea it's just pandering to the Asian market who won't care as their own leagues like CBA in China and PBA in Philippines are big they have no need for NBL.

Reply #575604 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

I dont see Lisch going back to Perth. His wife is from NSW and he has a good thing long term with the Hawks and Bevo.

Jawai would be interesting though.

Reply #575605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It failed last time it was tried. Just ask Cal.

Reply #575606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai to Cairns you would think.

Reply #575607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal had a pretty nice cannons team with 3 imports.

I don't think that was the cause of cannond demise either

Reply #575616 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Racist!!

Reply #575617 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"If their is an increase in the salary cap, teams will go bust...its as simple as that."

This is my worry too. Are the weaker teams even paying the full current salary cap? Increasing it further and having them either join the arms race or become less competitive is a recipe for foldage.

Reply #575619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl had a very good season,why change it, bring Brisbane and hopefully one more before to many changes. If it ain't broke don't fix it, jousting to get good again.

Reply #575622 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If the NBL wants to expand into Asia, they can kiss the idea of regional teams goodbye. I cant see a team like townsville being able to afford the travel costs compared to the bigger markets

Reply #575627 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are two teams I would guess are under the cap but currently in the four. Two over the cap out of it.

LK is trying to increase the spectacle and the sellouts and TV interest. The crowds will decide whether they like that more than the extra Australian jobs, I guess. Ultimately, a more powerful and financial league will attract more teams and create more jobs, IMO.

Reply #575630 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Could be an idea to have Asian and Oceanic conferences?

Or even 3 conferences, with a South, Central and North?

Teams could consist of something like:

South: Australia, NZ
Central: Philippines, Singapore, India
North: China, South Korea, Japan

6 teams from each conference, for 18 teams.
Play your conference 4 times for 20 games, and inter-conference twice for 24 games.

Reply #575631 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The "Asian" player idea is even worse.
What do they even mean by "Asian"? It's a BIG continent.
Obviously getting even a tiny slice of that massive TV market would be awesome, but people aren't going to decide whether or not to watch Australian Basketball based on a handfull of token players.

I don't mind the idea of an Indonesian team based in Jakarta, as that is a HUGE potential audience, and Jakarta is not too far. But anything further afield would be prohibitive in terms of travel.
Singapore was ok as a location, but doesn't have the population to provide or support a team.

Reply #575633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe that there will be any other team next season. The next question is will the Crocs survive.
Definite talk of at least one more team in the following season.

Reply #575635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Jakarta and/or Philippines team would be great but yeah forget Singapore. Population only 5.5 million so I couldn't see a team there being able to compete with the likes of Cairns and Wollongong.

Reply #575645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't believe that there will be any other team next season. The next question is will the Crocs survive.
Definite talk of at least one more team in the following season."

Hasn't Gibbo pretty much already signed with Brisbane? So that would suggest they're all but locked in.

Reply #575650 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Brisbane have been confirmed for months. They have staff, a logo, coaches, the whole deal.

Reply #575663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's stating the obvious koberuls.
Gibbo (as many think) will go to the Bullets. That's all.

Reply #575666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully makes the NBL more exciting... yawn

Reply #575671 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting isn't it, this time last year we were not that inspired, not that long ago we were wondering if the competition would actually survive in the current format, or at all!

Now we are talking it up like the NBL is full of millionaires or something...

Let's walk before we start tripping over our own egos I reckon. Maybe we can talk about some adjustments in the structure and maybe even look at a third import down the track, but I would like to see the competition and the teams become stable first.

I recall the A-League getting a little ahead of itself in early days, losing teams and making adjustments to the market before they got to where they are now, and they still don't have it right really, so too early for too much rah rah me thinks...

Reply #575673 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

can't see the Asian player rule working out - if they are a superstar, they're in NBA. If they're a star, I'm guessing they'd be able to make way more money in an Asian league than NBL. So then why would you bring a good/average Asian player in when he's only as good (or more likely worse) than an Aussie player?

Reply #575697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis, Prather, Beal and (Aussie) Lisch to the wildcats next season

Reply #575699 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Ugh terrible idea

As much as they may say they have no responsibility to provide places for Aussie talent, that's exactly what you need your top flight league to do. It completely goes against their rhetoric about gaining "grass roots" support. Having only around 50 places for Aussies to play professional ball in their own country is absurd. It definitely makes the decision easier for guys thinking of switching to footy.

It also shows that they're looking to increase the arms race where the rich teams attempt to put expensive but talented (on paper) on the floor with a view that "surely" that will bring the fans in. That hasn't worked in the past and with several teams struggling already I can't see how that will change.

As much as I'd love to see basketball in Australia be "big" and "spectacular" again, I'd much rather the league look towards a league with greatly reduced costs, enforced strict tight salary cap and more teams. If everyone were to play by the same rules we could get back to a truly national league again.

Perhaps I will get my wish and Kestleman will turn the nbl into some kind of Asian league and do whatever he wants with it, and then a new national league can truly come from the grass roots in its place

Reply #575700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't get why everyone is so worried 3 imports is going to send the league broke or cost massive amounts of aussie jobs.

Firstly i think if most teams take up a 3rd import spot it would be a cheaper import for whom you can get more production out of than an equivalent priced aussie. And make it easier for a team that struggles to find an aussie to fill a gap in their roster to grab a import even a cheap import to do this.

Secondly there will basically be the same amount of aussie jobs

8 teams with 2 imports each gives 64 aussie jobs

9 teams (with the bullets joining) with 3 imports each gives 63 aussie jobs

So what's the major issue??

Also for those who say rich clubs will just stack marque imports on top of current roster, the points and salary cap still exists so this wouldn't be possible without the clubs letting go a good player in the process.

Reply #575723 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Singapore was ok as a location, but doesn't have the population to provide or support a team."

Singapore's population (>5 million) is bigger than that of every city that currently has a team in the NBL. It's the financial centre of SE Asia. Its GDP per capita is 3rd highest in the world and almost double Australia's, 2.5 times New Zealand's. Seriously, check the facts before posting such a wrong argument.

Reply #575729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember the Asian experiment has been tried and failed previously. Has anything changed in either regard since both experiments failed? No. LKG is doing a good job with the revamping of the NBL as it is now. Please consolidate that good form and continue to ensure that the NBL survives and the LKG will stay around for more than the proposed 3 year commitment they have already. Hair brained ideas is for the CLB ;)

Reply #575731 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Asian player thing could just be a small allowance to efforts in China, as one example. Not as though teams would actually use them.

The NBL are working on some Asia-related plans that seem pretty realistic to me. I'm sure they'll announce them at some point if they make progress.

Reply #575734 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I remember the Slingers experiment. What was the other one?

Reply #575735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent decision re: the 3 imports. LK lifting the standard of the league again.

Reply #575745 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

German league used to allow something like nine imports but it wasn't a great standard.

If this happens, it will be interesting to see how many teams use it. A lot of work and money goes into finding imports, and if they don't fit into the team then sometimes they do more harm than good.

Three of the past four grand finals have featured teams with one import (with another GF team having a role playing import off the bench), and there's a chance of that happening again this season with Illawarra.

As long as they keep increasing the number of teams over the next few years I'm not dead against this, but I don't think it will really lift the standard of the league overall and I know it wont lift it's popularity.

I'd prefer teams to spend more money on guys like Childress, Randle, Jackson, Wilbekin etc than spread money across more imports.

Reply #575748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, what about teams potentially having two Randles!

Now that's excitement. Think Perth with Prather and Beal or previously Ennis and Beal. And they get 10,000 plus each game. It's not about where the player comes from, it's the quality.

Reply #575750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a team had a human cloning program and cloned an import, would the clone be classed as an import or a local?

Reply #575845 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Singapore's population (>5 million) is bigger than that of every city that currently has a team in the NBL. It's the financial centre of SE Asia. Its GDP per capita is 3rd highest in the world and almost double Australia's, 2.5 times New Zealand's.
Which has got exactly nothing to do with running an NBL franchise.
Seriously, check the facts before posting such a wrong argument.
Seriously, grow a brain before posting such drivel.

Simple FACT is that a Singpore franchise was tried and failed miserably due to exactly the reasons I posted.

Reply #575846 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Also for those who say rich clubs will just stack marque imports on top of current roster, the points and salary cap still exists so this wouldn't be possible without the clubs letting go a good player in the process.
Except the best import in the league is STILL only worth 10 points. Go back a couple of years, and Ennis & Beal were rated the same as Martin & Redhage.
The Salary is not being policed, and its not just the salaries. Teams like the Wildcats can afford to pay O/S scouts, and fund major evaluation trips to the USA, whereas some teams seem to get their imports via help-wanted ads on gumtree.

So what's the major issue??
Simple, it will do nothing to improve either the popularity or the quality of the league, it has only downside.

Reply #575847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz, drivel? You said:

Singapore was ok as a location, but doesn't have the population to provide or support a team.
The response was that they have a population surpassing any of Australia's capital and more than enough money. If you want to make a point about Singapore, you don't do it on population and money but maybe interest, effort and whatever else.

Reply #575850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What about teams having two Randles"

Teams already have two import spots and a marquee salary cap exception. The reality is players like Randle, Childress, Ennis, Wilbekin and Jackson don't grow on trees, or else the rich clubs would already have two.

As I said earlier, leagues in Germany and Belgium were/are stacked with Americans but it didn't make them high-level comps. Here, teams with one import regularly outperform those with two.

I'm not dead against the idea if the league is increasing the number of teams, but I'd prefer to see the next Daniel Dillon, Lucas Walker, Shaun Bruce, Anthony Petrie, Tom Jervis, Tom Garlepp, Agent 97, Nathan Sobey etc get a chance than watch the next Garrett Jackson, Will Hudson, Joevan Catron, CJ Massingale or Daequon Montreal fill up the bemch.

Reply #575869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports are hit & miss. But on the plus side the more imports we are allowed to have, the more likely we are to uncover another gem like Randle. Some players just need the right situation to flourish and you don't always know until they get here.

Reply #575873 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Did the league have a 3 import rule back in the late 80's/early 90's. The 90's Perth team had Crawford, Pinder and Grace....or were Crawford and/or Pinder naturalized.

Reply #575875 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Crawford and Pinder naturalised after 89, allowing Perth to add Grace and Jeff Allen as imports for 1990.

Reply #575880 | Report this post

Cuzzie  
Years ago

The Singapore experiment failed simply because the Singapore Government withdrew their financial support. In the early days the Slingers had to pay for all flights there and back. Once the Government withdrew their support they folded.

Reply #575890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could there be the equivalent of a bridging visa for American players that have been here in the NBL or lower Australian leagues for 3+ years?

ie. players that have done their time here become the 3rd American.

* Would help SEABL/QBL/Big V attract talented players.
* Reward the likes of Perth for staying loyal to a player like Beal and help the NBL as fans form a connection to these players.

I think this would only be necessary if the NBL is planning expansion. I've really enjoyed watching the likes of Weeks and Kenny this season, who only just scraped into the league this year.

Reply #575892 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretty sure they used to do that in the early 80s. On the Wildcats Behind the Ball doco Mike Ellis mentions Tim Evans and Billy Keys as imports, and then Dan Hickert as "the import that was the three-year player".

Reply #575893 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Canberra had a three-import allowance at some point. Can't remember if that was granted to the bottom team or something else.

Reply #575896 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm not opposed to 3 imports but I would much rather see the money for a 3rd import going towards getting better quality first and second imports or luring Aussie talent back from overseas.

Reply #575897 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Canberra had a three-import allowance at some point. Can't remember if that was granted to the bottom team or something else."

Yeah I don't remember the criteria either, but they did finish last in 2001/02 and were allowed 3 imports for the following season. (Dave Thomas, George Banks & Korleone Young)

In 02/03 they finished 2nd-last with a 12-18 record and were again allowed 3 imports for the following season. (Dave Thomas, Mike Chappell & Reggie Poole)

Reply #575902 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Sorry - I got those years wrong. They had those imports in the years I noted, but their last-placed finish was 2000/01 (3-25 record), followed by 2nd-last (12-18) in 2001/02.

Reply #575903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly didn't work as already mentioned.

Reply #576061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly you and the other detractors don't understand sample size. In the modern NBL era there has only been one example (Cannons) which is constantly cited as meaning a three import system won't work. Clearly stupid. Who are you detractors, local players who are scared? I'm all for it and bring it on.

Reply #576067 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I only like this rule if it encourages teams to try and keep imports... If the criteria of the third import is one that's returning or as mentioned above been there three seasons that that's what I'd like .

I hate that the league loses stars like Rotnei Clarke and if we had some rule that encouraged MVP caliber imports to stick around then I'm all for it.

It may have kept Gladness in the league but maybe he was discouraged by the stats people ripping him off with blocks

Reply #576418 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A couple of different sources reporting that this is being considered:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-15/perth-wildcats-coach-trevor-gleeson-extension/7167370

Meanwhile, the NBL is considering a controversial move to allow each team an additional import next season.

The change would allow all nine franchises to sign three overseas players each.

Grandstand basketball expert and NBL championship coach Alan Black denounced the proposal.

"That would be such a retrograde step for this league," Black said.

"You're then telling every young player to go over to college to get developed, because you're not going to make a roster here.

"You're telling any Australian player that's not one or two, to go over to Europe and play because you're not going to get the big money, because the big money is going to go on imports.

"And then you can really run a team around three players. You can get two role players, Australians, to just sit around three really good imports.

"Joe Public sitting out in the stands probably won't care, but if I put on any sort of Basketball Australia development hat, that's just not the way to go."

If they are going to do this, they need to lift the points for imports. Say increase the total to 80 and make imports worth 15.

I wonder if this is only a temporary move aimed at easing the re-introduction of Brisbane? Hoping that extra imports will free up some local talent for them to grab, as well as allowing them to build a solid core around their imports.

My concern with this is 3-fold:
We already see that some teams simply cannot afford two high-quality imports. That gap will only get wider when cashed up teams can buy three.

I don't think we do enough to offer viable alternative pathways for young Aussie talent. Not the top tier, who are destined for international success, can get full-ride scholarships to great colleges and have at least a crack at the NBA.
But the bulk of the guys, who basically waste 4 years getting 2nd-rate degrees in the USA, then have limited years left to play their trade.

Lastly, in a 5-man team, 3 imports is a very dominate factor. With three quality imports, you can basically build your team around that.
I'm well aware, that at times the Cats had an all-American starting 5, with Crawford, Grace, and Fisher naturalised (although Vlahov usually started.) But that was built on the basis of longevity, keeping good players around.
I don't want to see a league where teams just go shopping for the best imports they can find every season.

Reply #577958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Change back to 48mins. With three imports but more playing minutes the Aussies get more playing time.

Reply #577960 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Or the same players just play more minutes.

Reply #577962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just want 48mins back.

Reply #577965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just want 48mins black.

Reply #577966 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why? So Fox will stop broadcasting the league?

Reply #577968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48mins was ok for Fox for over two decades. 40mins was changed for One/Ten.

plus you get more entertaining swings and comebacks unlike 40mins.

Reply #577972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than MU and the cats all other clubs can't afford one quality import let at all three, I'd hate to be a young Aussie trying to get on a roster. Leave it at two or the afl cricket and every other sport will pinch the good young players.
Hopefully the Nbl can get back to a league where there is reasonable money in it.

Reply #577974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and don't forget they want three imports PLUS Asian player. mmm I don't think so 4/10 core group non aussie yeah right.

Reply #577976 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Why dont we trailblaze and go 44? Everyone happy.

Reply #577978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG 44 NO WAY IT HAS TO BE 40 MINUTES OTHERWISE TV WILL CANCEL US ON THE SPOT!!1!11

Reply #577981 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

48mins was ok for Fox for over two decades. 40mins was changed for One/Ten.
Fox is very insistent games finish within two hours, we know that for a fact.

Most games are finishing with about fifteen minutes to spare, which would be cutting it really fine for eight minutes of basketball. Quite a few are significantly longer than that.

Other than MU and the cats all other clubs can't afford one quality import let at all three
Did you just say Josh Childress, Cedric Jackson, Jerome Randle, and Kevin Lisch aren't quality? Are you high?

Go back a year and you've got Wilbekin and Conklin for the only two teams whose players didn't crack a mention in my previous paragraph.

Reply #578013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754