Ideasman
Years ago

SBL Blitz Ideas

The SBL Blitz is normally pretty boring to attend and participate in.

Most teams don't put forward proper teams...

What about some incentive for the players and teams themselves?

Making the Blitz a tournament set up instead of "friendlies".

Putting $1000 up for the game, $500 going to the players and $500 going to the club?

It would make the event a very exciting event for everyone and that way even if the full teams arent being put forward people still try.

Thank you.

IM

Topic #38908 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

before the blitz was even thought!! the goldfields giants held there own pre-season event and used to invite 3 perth teams up to the goldfields for the long weekend . it was played in a round robin format with the top 2 teams meeting in the grand final winner take all
the purse $ 5000 . that's what im talking about.
then the powers to be thought what a great idea lets make a heap of money by running a pre-season tournament . time to put up some money or incentives!!or let other clubs run there own serious tournaments and play for some real $$$.

Reply #575661 | Report this post

solomon grundy  
Years ago

I didnt know that, that would be a very fun weekend.
They should bring that back or at least do some sort of purse, everyone would love it. If you dont want to risk your good players then just dont play them.

there is still time for this arrangement to be organised, hopefully someone at BWA takes note.

Reply #575662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should make it a competitive event with a final that people can watch even if there is a very small finals process,

ie, pools, semi, final

Everyone would ahve a great time, can anyone from BWA clarify oif this is being considered?

Reply #575753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It used to have a finals format back in 2010 when Willeton won the pre season blitz. It didn't really make it that much more competitive though. Coaches still played weird lineups/rested imports etc. Money would probably be the best way to force competition.

It's an important weekend for teams to get reps in against the rest of the league but not sure how important it is to make it "less boring"

Reply #575757 | Report this post

Waves  
Years ago

The Blitz (in its current format) is a truly wasteful weekend for everyone involved.

Teams aren't keen on unveiling full rosters or game plans to the wider basketball community.

And as mentioned, there is 0 incentive to field competitive teams. Its not a show case, just a pain in the arse for most.

It needs to become a tournament based event. Even a one & done knockout with fully timed games would be a much better spectacle. Less games overall so court availability issues shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Reply #575759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the end we play this game because it is enjoyable, regardless of the teams being fielded I know personally I'd much prefer to play in a tournament where there was some incentive to turn up and pay the excessive fees and parking nightmare on offer with the country cup that is normally also on at the same time.

Also because the country cup is on, what a great opportunity to let people see some good games and promote the team to people who like basketball?

I think if you spoke to the coaches they would see the current value but would also see the room for improvement.

Reply #575761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree Waves
If you actually watch some of the games, coaches are playing fairly similar styles to what they would in the regular season. It's a great opportunity to get tape and game practice for the season.

Reply #575762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one ever really uses the tape, or tapes games at the blitz. Its to figure out the team chemistry on the far on of the bench

Reply #575763 | Report this post

blitzed  
Years ago

Teams will usually look to have 2 good hit outs over the weekend. One on first day, one on second.

The games against state teams is usually where teams will play their D League and junior players.

Then if there are games scheduled reasonably close, the teams usually take one of them a bit easier.

Depending on player availability and how long each individual team has been together the objective changes.

I doubt you will see Wolves get out of 1st gear except maybe to show their dominance in brief moments.

Tigers will likely not play Kyle, Scott, Import, Cody too much.

Stirling won't have Ellis or Wroe

Magic unlikely to risk Mully, Big Smith or Remmers.

Some teams that have multiple changes like Suns, Giants may want to run their rotations a bit more.

Until there is any significant reason for a team to play their best team and compete in all games, then you won't see it happen. Similar scenario to the AFLs NAB cup. Maybe they could follow Eddie's suggestion on the winner gets an automatic finals birth.

I think the most interesting part of the entire weekend is to see who comes back in better condition from the offseason between Mully, Remmers, and Carter Cook.

Reply #575765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just think, they are holding this weekend they may aswell make it slightly competitive with some incentive to win. "Thats just how it is" isnt a valid response which seems to be a common answer in this league. Most other leagues a striving to be better every year, big V does an amazing job, especially in the junior levels.

Reply #575768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It shouldnt have any effect on the actual season, but I agree they should make it competitive in some way, rather than nothing matches.

Reply #575809 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

http://sbl.asn.au/

check the blitz,

hopefully its a competitive tournament this year with some incentive.

Why don't the giants run the tournmant anyway? would be so fun

Reply #575918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree that the Blitz is a waste and that there needs to be an "incentive".

The purpose of the Blitz is to give each team a number (this year it's 4) of practice games prior to the regular season. It gives teams/coaches a chance to trial new strategy, line-ups, players etc against quality opposition with proper officials.

Each team has different goals / expectations heading into the Blitz and that's why providing a cash prize or other incentive for the winner would be unfair to me.

For e.g. some teams might be giving injured players the chance to build match fitness, or trialing a young player. Others might be trying to build chemistry among their top 5 or 6 and will therefore only play those players.

Yes it is inconvenient for the country teams and the fee to play (which partly covers running costs) is annoying. Having said this, every sporting comp in the world probably has a similar "preseason tournament".

The AFL for e.g. has now moved away from a tournament style pre-season to a more "round robin" format which acknowledges that the pre-season tournament is about getting ready for the actual season, rather than winning.

Reply #575973 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754