koberulz
Years ago

WNBL team SEQ Stars in Liquidation

https://twitter.com/GregDavis_cmail/status/694779260897071104

SEQ Stars being wound-up. Deloitte appointed as liquidators. Operations to "cease immediately". Team had 5 games to play in @WNBL season.

Topic #38924 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

After one season?

Reply #575909 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Before one season, actually.

Reply #575911 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well ... less than one season.

I was disappointed about not being able to make it to the Waves-Stars clash this Saturday. Was shaping as a big one.

It's hard to believe it could all go financially so wrong like this with someone like Shane Heal so closely involved.

Reply #575912 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

That was a surprise!!!If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog it usually is a dog....WOOF!!!

Reply #575913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Stars (after the Redbacks in cricket) marked the second time I entered a team-naming competition, picked the winning name, but didn't win the competition.

Reply #575916 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

It's hard to believe it could all go financially so wrong like this with someone like Shane Heal so closely involved.

This made me laugh so hard at my work desk that the dude opposite me thought I was having a fit.

Thanks Luuuc, its been a long day.

Reply #575917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am sure it's just a coincidence that this happens straight after his daughter is diagnosed with stress fractures in her back and therefore can't play. We'll just add some more names to that already very long list of aggrieved parties at the hands of the artist formerly known as hammer

Reply #575919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news for Lightening, they might get Mansfield home now?

Reply #575922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes you respect the Waves/Lynx that spent within their means for many years even though it meant heavy losses for a long time. They grew slowly and built a solid base.

Stars signed the 3 biggest free agent Australian players and brought in 2 Americans. I'm sure the dual coach/gm was quite well paid while the team was solvent.

Reply #575924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more importantly, Lightning can get Heal and daughter now !

Reply #575930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#575930 not sure there will be too many clubs fighting it out to sign that not so dynamic duo

Reply #575933 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Thoughts go out to the players, especially the imports. While it doesn't pay as well as Europe, the WNBL is seen as a quality league with a good lifestyle and teams that reliably pay their players. So this SEQ drama is a bit of a blow to that image, especially so hot on the heels of Logan Thunder folding.

Reply #575942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quite right Luuc, questions as to how they got the licence in the first place need to be asked.

Reply #575953 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

No details yet but here is official announcement from BA http://www.basketball.net.au/wnbl-club-seq-stars-placed-into-liquidation/

Reply #575958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Heal Factor. lmao

Reply #575961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts do not go out to the players. They have learnt an important life lesson in 'what seems too good to be true, usually is.' They have also learnt to do due diligence before doing business with someone.

None of these players are putting kids through school or anything. Welcome to the real world.

Reply #575965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Thanks for your input Shane. I'm sure that in time all the players will be grateful for this wonderful lesson.

Reply #575970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the first team to go under without completing a season in NBL/WNBL history. Very sad the record is broken.

Heal is a CANCER. OMG he is on the NBL coverage right now. Quick get him away from any more involvement with the game LK & Fox.

Reply #575974 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

More here from the PnR: http://pickandroll.com.au/wnbl-seq-stars-cease-inaugural-season/

Reply #575975 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

But he was a great player, surely that should translate into all facets of life.

Reply #575977 | Report this post

FalconsTV  
Years ago

And here: http://www.jimboombatimes.com.au/story/3705442/seq-stars-pull-the-plug/?cs=2432

Reply #575980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But he was a great player, surely that should translate into all facets of life."

Haha nice :)

His dickheadedness worked playing a competitive sport and people overlooked it since he was a good player at one point and his NBA stint made him legit in many eyes. So he never learnt in his formative adult years to stop being one because he didn't have to act normal. Seems like he still hasn't woken up.

Reply #575982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Luke

Reply #575983 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

His financial credibility has been in constant decline ever since he started dropping dimes as a youngster.

Reply #575985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too bad he didn't drop the dick from his head :)

Reply #575987 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Bet Hammer got his money before the club went into liquidation.

Reply #575988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely got his $$$

Reply #576035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Erin Phillips ever play a game for them?

Reply #576057 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No

Reply #576058 | Report this post

anon.  
Years ago

BA are working thru the implications of the circumstances? What does that even mean.

Reply #576085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm still attempting to get my mind around them not finishing out the season.

Hey, does this move the Caps up one spot on the ladder?

Reply #576087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA announce potential solution 'imminent' (BA talk for sometime in 2018).

Reply #576088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hate to see the juniors of Queensland bail out this venture.

Reply #576096 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Stars will play out the season.

Reply #576169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice of Hammer to play down his involvement in the club after things went pear shaped.

Reply #576175 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

As someone who has no idea about anything going on in the world of the WNBL, what was Heal's involvement outside of head coach? His comments last night made it sound like there was one person investing their own cash who decided to walk away? Is that not true?

Reply #576176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/queensland-business-monthly-former-nba-player-shane-hammer-heal-is-back-in-business/news-story/e323281e61690739f7eb7fc4d02e8e96

Advises he is a director of SEQ basketball.

Reply #576177 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Heal out as coach. Apparently the money to play out the season was provided on the condition he not be involved.

Reply #576178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A condition of getting SEQ back on the court was Hammer stepping away. There is something there.

Reply #576179 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Just saw his post on twitter. According to him, sponsor financing the team with the condition he not coach. Salary related I would think?

Reply #576180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Surely if that were all there was to it they'd just offer a lower salary, rather than completely dropping him?

Reply #576181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy was playing his daughter in critical minutes in tight games. That wont go down well with many, players included.

Reply #576182 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Depends how good she is. Brendan Joyce wasn't too popular for playing Daniel, but Alan Black playing Stephen was entirely understandable.

Reply #576183 | Report this post

That Guy  
Years ago

Black played kid who could ball.
Joyce played a kid who sucked. Then used his network to continue to get him gigs.
Heal played a kid far too young and had blinders about her ability but who might still yet turn out to be a baller. Heal strong arms people into taking his daughter into camps based on his reputation.

All similar but different ;)

Reply #576189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I blame WNBL for allowing such a young child to even take the crt to begin with, time they put an age limit on players regarding Bri g juniors. Nothing wrong with them training but it's a women's league not a play group.

Shane also needs to step away and let his daughter find her on way, if she's good enough it will come and she can get there on her own merit, much better for the kid all round.

But if Heals now out who's coaching them ?

Reply #576190 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No announcement yet. Could be the current assistant, or someone from the CoE.

How old is Heal's daughter?

Reply #576192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heals daughter is around 13 or 14 years old I think.

Reply #576205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seq survive but Heal is sacked as a condition of the bail out package...

Reply #576215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would someone from the CofE go to Qld to coach this team, that would make no sense at all

Reply #576218 | Report this post

...."Daniel Laruso's gonna fight? Daniel Laruso's gonna fight!"

Reply #576221 | Report this post

Is tonight's game going ahead? Given that this stay of execution has only just happened, you'd think the team's usual travel plans would've been shelved (?)

Reply #576223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Heal never ever gets another gig at any club anywhere around the globe. You can only live off the Charles Barkley incident for so long!!

Reply #576224 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

The game is on in Adelaide and the players on the plane this morning

Reply #576226 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Basketball Australia has appointed Centre of Excellence Coach Paul Goriss to assist SEQ Stars for the remainder of the 2015/2016 Wattle Valley WNBL season.

Goriss is an experienced coach, having been involved with coaching junior national teams and is currently an Associate Coach at the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence.

Goriss joins Megan Thompson to support the SEQ Stars in their game tonight in Adelaide vs The Lightning and then on Saturday vs Perth Lynx."

http://wnbl.com.au/goriss-appointed-to-assist-seq-stars/

Reply #576246 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Shane Heal interview from Downtown:

http://downtownball.net/2016/02/qa-shane-heal-on-the-seq-stars-that-trip-to-adelaide-and-being-left-out-in-the-cold/

Reply #576924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So one of the SEQ Stars sponsors was Insolvency Guardian. rofl

Reply #577183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of 'i's in that interview

Reply #577187 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A lot of rolled i's reading that interview ;)

Reply #577188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal the first coaching product out of the Joyce nepotism tree by way of GC Blaze.

Reply #577190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal the first coaching product out of the Joyce nepotism tree by way of GC Blaze.

isnt Goriss another joyce product?

Reply #577210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes but he has none of his kids on the team.... yet :p

Reply #577218 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754