Jack Toft
Years ago

Taipans v Sixers, Feb 5

What was going to be a very boring game a few days ago has suddenly taken on a lot of importance.

Every game is now basically a must win game for the 4th placed Sixers. One step ahead of the Kiwi boys is not enough and the 6th placed Taipans are still a mathematical chance of finals. Usually mathematical chances never occur. I was once a mathematical chance of being Cleo's bachelor of the year - it never happened.

It's Cairns last home game, so that means there's extra incentive for them to pull off a win. Let's not forget Cairns have the Bogeyman this year, that's right the bearded burglar Worthington, who has stolen more games off the Sixers than Daniel Johnson has had street fights. He is the danger man for the game

There's only one certainty with this game, who loses tonight can probably kiss the season goodbye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

Let's Go Sixers!

Topic #38931 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Taipans at home by 10 or so, Adelaide looked so immensely out of sorts the other night it still hasnt sunk in! And now they need to back that up with a complete role reversal, dont see it happening. Hopefully Joey sat next to DJ on the way up and got him motivated and locked in to produce big time tonight. But doubt that too.

Reply #576219 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Jack Toft

I am worried about the 36'ers chances for the finals if they blow this game, more to the point I would be disappointed in not being able to see Randle in the play-offs.

The best team, of course, should get it done...

Reply #576222 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

If Melbourne win their next game against NZ they can't lose top spot, which means they WILL have home court advantage against the 4th place team.

Wonder if they might chose the "throw" their last game ( play their bench much more than usual) against NZ, if needed, to ensure NZ finish 4th rather than face Adelaide imn the semi's with Randle back on court.

Reply #576233 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

"Wonder if they might chose the "throw" their last game ( play their bench much more than usual) against NZ, if needed, to ensure NZ finish 4th rather than face Adelaide imn the semi's with Randle back on court."

My god that is an astonishingly dumb comment even considering some of the absolute tripe posted on this board (refer Tofts drivel above for an example!).

As if United sweat the 6ers in Melbourne! HAHAHAHAHA!

Listen up ladies....6ers aren't even in the same discussion as Melb, Perth and the Hawks. Your squad is a midget brigade who have NO game....and your bigs are a joke. DJ is a bum. No heart. No aggression. Nothing. Petrie? LOL. If it wasn't for Randle you'd be looking down the barrel of a wooden spoon and all you muppets would be calling for Joey's head (like y'all did with all the previous coaches).

Reply #576235 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@Bear

It would be a sad way to end the season for Randell and the Sixers

Reply #576244 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I can't see us shooting a winning score...or defending one for that matter.

Reply #576248 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@ROFLcopter, I hope you are not dumb enough to my wind ups seriously

Reply #576253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The positive for Adelaide is Johnson has had some good bounce-back performances this season, they'll need one tonight you'd think.

Cairns will be gunning for the 12-point margin to claim the series, which is a chance if Adelaide haven't fixed their shot selection from the other night.

Reply #576258 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think copter had a slight brain fart Jack...

Reply #576278 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

man, i hate maths.........

Reply #576280 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Taipans are more than capable

Reply #576331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what time is the game on (sa time)

Reply #576332 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It's about half way through the first quarter now. If you were still wondering.

Reply #576338 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Looks like little has changed since 2 days ago

Reply #576339 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Plenty's changed in the last 10 mins though.

Reply #576340 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Flop city in Cairns

Reply #576342 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

maybe not foul on the three!

Reply #576343 | Report this post

krispyk  
Years ago

fuck me the flops are putting even redhage to shame, hope the refs get a flogging over the shocking baited calls. 2x trigger, 1x gliddon and 1x wortho so far, what a joke

Reply #576344 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

maybe not foul on the flop!

Fixed

Reply #576345 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

This flopping is painful to watch. Then Ebi tries it and gets nothing

Reply #576346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season Capuuut now. So unlucky with Randle injury.

Reply #576347 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Love how blatant Joey was, he was so pissed he said just flop!

Reply #576349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it me or are the officials getting worse as the season gets tighter?

Reply #576355 | Report this post

Wwizard  
Years ago

Can't say the last 2 days have been great however like my coach once told me; players win games, teamwork wins championships.

And two teams who exude that teamwork and confidence have been the Cats and Breakers of late titles.

We were living on a dream that one player could be the be all/end all. End all it might be without him.

Reply #576359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With road games against the Cats and the Hawks coming up to finish the season fair to say the season is over. The Randle injury killed this team.

Reply #576365 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

That Randle injury didn't feel like a big deal after the win and then no structural damage news... Then you get hit with reality of how shite the team is with out him. Ebi back to his norm DJ offered little and no one else has shown they capable. Sad end to a interesting season.

Reply #576368 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

The margin blowout against NZ is what killed us. Plus so many miss FT over the last couple of games.

Reply #576377 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was a pretty strong performance from Adelaide tonight, nothing wrong with that effort and a lot of players contributing, problem was losing the series to NZ meant they really needed to win.

Cairns still alive now if they can beat NZ, but the NBL have done them no favours giving them less than 42 hours between games in Cairns and Auckland!

Reply #576384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone seen Joey's Facebook update after tonight's game? Wondering who that is referring to? Surely not Gibbo, thought he was actually pretty good tonight, stepped up and tried to make things happen!

Reply #576385 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Randle is the best import in the NBL, but the way Gibbo plays when Adelaide doesn't carry another import PG makes you wonder why the Sixers sign import PGs.

Reply #576386 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Think he's referring to the umpires...

Reply #576387 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Looking for a scapegoat? Surely not

Reply #576391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see DJ step up these past two games in the absence of Randle.

Reply #576392 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

DJ should be scoring 20-25 points a game consistently with his inside-outside touch. The fact that he's not is reflective of both the player and the coach. He's surrounded by too many mediocre players (Walker, Creek, Petrie) who drag him down to their level.

Reply #576393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least the lesser talented guys show heart.

DJ should be ashamed of himself. He's got the talent but soft as butter, lazy and poor defensively. If he misses a few shots in a row he sulks for the rest of the night.

I know DJ just signed a 3 year deal before the season but he and Gibbo are two players with poor attitudes who I wouldn't mind us moving on from.

Wish we had have done everything we could to keep Motum rather than DJ.

Reply #576396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Adelaide has any internal issues we need to know about? Where is Paulo now?

Reply #576398 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Great effort from the guys tonight, they kept coming back and did not give up.

Worst umpiring of the season I think and in this game of flops, guesses, missed calls and inconsistencies it is just possible the result was perverted.

Gibbo definitely salvaged his pride, played a gutsy game.

Creek really firing in damaging bursts.

Petrie, walker and Johnson solid.

Ebi, well he really needed Joey to set some plays for him to get some early open looks from range and recover his confidence after Wed night, but it didn't happen.

Sixers will always struggle without some consistency from three point land, leaving us driving into concentrated traffic. Cairns gave us plenty of open looks from range because it was apparent that no one wanted to shoot, allowing them to contract their defense and invite us to run into the brick wall over and over.

For all that we stayed with them and almost stole the game.

Good luck next Friday and may the gods set us a level playing field and Jerome is back.

Go Sixers

Reply #576404 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"I know DJ just signed a 3 year deal before the season but he and Gibbo are two players with poor attitudes who I wouldn't mind us moving on from."

DJ is only cruising right now and he still managed to be #1 in rebounding and 12th in scoring.

Imagine if he was focused every night? You can't let a guy like DJ go.

Reply #576406 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think MU are favourites for the title, and will remain so with HCA in a series, but IF a team could upset them, it would be Perth."

Well if NZ sneak into fourth spot I think they would fancy their chances against Melbourne. Remember how they turned it on last season in the playoffs after losing four of their last six in the regular season?

Reply #576407 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think MU are favourites for the title, and will remain so with HCA in a series, but IF a team could upset them, it would be Perth.
Well if NZ sneak into fourth spot I think they would fancy their chances against Melbourne. Remember how they turned it on last season in the playoffs after losing four of their last six in the regular season?
MU & NZ play each other twice in the last round. That will be telling.
I have given up trying to monitor all the possible permutations, but I'll say this. MU won't want to drop a game to a team they might then face in the semis, nor will they want to give Perth a sniff at top spot, so I expect them to put NZ away.

Also remember that the final game is Perth hosting Adelaide so its possible that 4th position won't be known till then.

Reply #576410 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Randle's injury has set up a cracker finish.

Reply #576413 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would much rather play Melbourne than the Hawks.

Reply #576415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Does Adelaide has any internal issues we need to know about? Where is Paulo now?"

Hahaha... I'll pay that. I wondered if he'd write a retraction after the Breakers and Webster had good games.

Reply #576416 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Jut one small game situation that say a lot to me about DJ and Joey.

DJ is being defended by Trigger at times last night.

Neither he, the rest of the team or the coaching staff could orchestrate a play to get him the ball in the post or in a situation where he can use his speed, size or skill set to take advantage of Triggers defensive inability.

On the other side of the coin Cairns exploited DJ all night.

Admittedly DJ was a victim of probably three terrible calls but on two of those Cairns went at him and exploited his Axel Dench like lateral slowness on D to put the refs in a situation to make those calls.

Who decided that DJ will just pop on nearly every pick or hang around the three point line so much.

Reply #576453 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

DJ was also on the end of one of the worst flop calls of the season when Trigger took a dive.
But yes, DJ's defensive liabilities are fairly evident. His overall play has fallen away a fair bit in the past month or so.

Reply #576454 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Am I correct in thinking that the BIG news out of this game is that Cairns' hopes of a post-season are now officially dead? They needed a 12 point win to take the series.
It's an interesting "strategic" move (or lack there off) by Adelaide.
Cairns now have nothing to play for against NZ...

I can't see Adelaide beating the Hawks, without Randle. So barring an "upset" in the last game, they should finish on 14 wins.
NZ should beat Cairns, so even if they drop both games to MU they should finish 4th.

If Adelaide and NZ are tied (NZ have the series) with only that last game to play, it could get interesting. If Randle is partially recovered, they might ask him to come back early.
Whilst I wouldn't expect Perth to do Adelaide any favours, they have already locked in 2nd spot, and would need MU to drop BOTH NZ games to have a shot at 1st. As we have seen, Perth can be sluggish if they aren't motivated. With nothing to play for, they may again rest key players, and again give the bench a run. Might that give Adelaide a sniff??

Reply #576455 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Am I correct in thinking that the BIG news out of this game is that Cairns' hopes of a post-season are now officially dead?"

No. Cairns can still make it if they, NZ and Adelaide all finish 14-14.

Reply #576457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers won the season series as there aren't enough games left for them to get in front of the 36ers their season is over.

Reply #576465 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No. Cairns can still make it if they, NZ and Adelaide all finish 14-14.

Reply #576466 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Cairns would have to play a lot better than they did against us to beat NZ. Everything is against them, travelling, shorter rest, NZ home crowd and they would have to shoot the lights out from the three and get that percentage up from 25% to around 55%

Most likely NZ will blow them well away.

An upset would be nice though!

Reply #576488 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754