Anonymous
Years ago

Childress gone, Connelly in?

Childress is himself in doubt and wants Connelly t stay. He certainly agrees that the Kings need to get their future direction right. How Connelly is in that picture is amazing to me.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/josh-childress-unsure-of-sydney-kings-future-but-believes-interim-coach-joe-connelly-should-stay/news-story/c3ff58987edc153aac27cf6c5c5b3392

Topic #38935 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like he wants to make sure he's playing for a contender. If he doesn't stay, they could well ignore his coaching preference.

Reply #576255 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Calling all Sydney Kings fans. Get on their Facebook page and let them know you want Childress back for next season. I would be very dissapointing if Josh left the Kings.

Reply #576259 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Thornton was a big swing and miss. Hope they dont go that route anymore, Ennis was a rare NBL big impact draftee who had confidence and swagger.

Sydney need to get a NWA or a couple of them if Chillin leaves.

Reply #576263 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's a pity Ice Cube left the group. Last week he fucked around and got a triple double.

Reply #576264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is one of the best talents to ever play nbl, but given he seems to only be able to play half the games i reckon the kings would be better off moving on and going after a younger import like casey prather, who isn't as big a name or talented but is currently the best sf in the nbl, is young, plays hard both ends and will likely play alot more games than childress too.

If childress were to stay id make him take way less money to offset the games he would likely miss. Ie give him money 150k ish tops instead of the big marque bucks.

Reply #576271 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be fair, Sydney have been playing without a) a player who was probably intended to be their starting PG/starting guard and b) their starting C and arguably their best player on the team.

On top of that, they've had Childress miss a key part of the season with injury, they've got a young import guard who is well out of his depth.

I think if you look at it we (NZ) were rubbish without Webster and Abercrombie, ADL have struggled without Randle, the Hawks had a tough start without Martin and Lisch, Perth had a rough patch without Martin IIRC.

Missing a couple of key players can have a big time impact.

Still, I acknowledge that that in no way excuses some of the Kings' players efforts this year. Defensively, they have being very lazy at times and lacking in effort (save for a few lone-rangers). Offensively, selfishness has plagued their game plan.

Reply #576272 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

great post Luuuc. had a chuckle

Reply #576273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping Childress stays, maybe Connolly, they haven't won many games but they stayed competitive in most games. I just hope management who ever they take as coach let's him have a say in the selection, let's be honest most new Thornton was a dud after the first few weeks and Vandenburg hardly looks like he can play. Who picks these guys. Damian James was a bust as well. Give some young guys ago.

Reply #576276 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A rabbit's foot that works wouldn't go astray either...

Reply #576277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is cooked and can't stay on the floor. Time to spend that money on a player who will add to the team and actually play!!

Highest paid mascot in NBL history!

Reply #576279 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On the NWA angle, remember that when Lisch and/or his camp contacted the Kings about playing for them, the response was that they wanted a black import. Their season would've been quite different if they'd been receptive to his approach.

Lisch has been very solid for the Hawks. Model two-way import in the NBL.

The 36ers didn't get a sell out recently just because they had Randle but because they were also winning and looking like they had a post-season future.

Reply #576285 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Isaac: Would you put Adelaide in the same 'sphere' as Sydney? Ie if Childress isnt playing for Sydney, barely any ways to replace the effect and for Adelaide the same with Randle?

Reply #576286 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Lisch has been very solid for the Hawks. Model two-way import in the NBL."

That's the understatement of the century! When you consider both ends he is probably the best player in the league, with Ogilvy the only one I can think of who comes close.

Reply #576289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is also a non egotistic , absolute roll model of the Nbl.

Gun player to go with it as well.

Reply #576291 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Safe to say I'd make an exception for Lisch over Ice Cube, Lisch has proven NBL creds.

Would be a different landscape now, if they went with Lisch, the Butterfly effect suggests Childress may not have injured his hand on his comeback or Khazzouh injured himself either.

That could also mean Perth would be on top right now as Lisch might've broken Holt's ankle so bad he was out for the season and Melb never got going as the import replacement was shit. When he grew up, I just made this story up and you've just wasted your time reading this.

Reply #576294 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Matthew I can answer that, absolutely. One trick pony team. Don't get me wrong that one pony Is one hell of a beast when it's on, but remove Randle and Adelaide are ordinary. Hence part the reason I think Joey is one lucky sob, before Randle it was not looking like a fun season.

Reply #576296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like he was lucky last year?? What about the many years before that that where Joey has proved he is a coach who gets the most out of the resources he has to work with and is always around the mark come finals time?

Give the constant negativity a rest Kobe24, its certainly getting old!

Reply #576302 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im just referring to a previous question. Its not a Joey bashing, its just comments and opinions formed on how bad the 36ers are and wouldve been without Randle coming un board, hence Joey, the 36ers and fans all got lucky. Kings much the same with Childress, if he wasnt around, which he has struggled to be, they have sucked and coaches have even been sacked.

Reply #576303 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

And yeah like last year when the team was able to turn BJ Anthony and DQ into DJ and Motum, thats lucky they were available. But on topic, I just think if they could have put Childress with one other true star, they Kings wouldve been able to do some serious damage. Thornton just looked rushed to me all season long.

Reply #576304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remembering that Lish was a required player by Cotter and the ownership group vetoed that selection.

Reply #576308 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

That must sting the most froma King supporters point of view, Lisch and Childress and Julian couldve been deadly in hindsight.

Reply #576309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I like Randle when healthy Childress is comfortably the best player in the league. Despite his injury troubles if you're a joke franchise like the Kings you go all out to try and re-sign him.

If things don't work out with him health wise okay then move on but he's way too good to pass up on at this stage.

Reply #576310 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't read too much into that article, one way or another. Childress was aked about his future, and was non-committal. Obviously they are still in negotiations. He was then asked about the coach. What is he supposed to say? "He's a dick and I hope they sack him"?
Childress, when fit, is the best player in the NBL. Part of his injuries this season were just bad luck, no reason to think they should be repeated.

Reply #576311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matthew, I think Markovic's situation has been pretty damaging for them. They've really copped it on a few fronts - Khazzouh injury, Markovic's issue, Thornton being mediocre and Childress missing games. Problems with four of the five projected starters! When he was on track, Markovic was looking like the local PG you'd take if Martin and Gibson were locked up.

If Gibson was playing to his potential, I think Adelaide would be doing a bit better. No idea what happened with Hodgson after his great start, but as a comparison, Melbourne have Warrick off the bench. NZ have Jackson (or Pledger). Adelaide have their rotation with Petrie and Walker, but while they can hold their own, neither are the types to trouble other teams. A guy like Warrick can be a major handful for the Hawks (as one example) scoring or drawing fouls.

Reply #576314 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Isaac: Would you keep Markovic on your roster if its possible he may not even play one game that season?

I dont know how long his contract was for but I dont see him at Sydney next season. I think Childress will also move on.. Back to Europe? Not sure. Its possible however remote he COULD play for a different NBL next season.

Reply #576329 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think if Childress doesn't re-sign with Sydney, there would be other teams chasing him. Not sure what sort of money he's on.

Reply #576335 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think it's tough to judge coach Connelly this year, he has really had any strings to pull as it seems like there's many puppeteers putting on the show & making the decisions leaving coach Connelly to do the best he can with very little control.

I don't think any coach could do much better in the situation he's been faced with...

If the Kings don't keep Joe for next season, I think they need to go for a young, fresh Aussie coach. There's a few options out there of course, but being a Sutho Shark through & through I'd Luke to see BJ Carter given a role in their. He's done wonders with Sutho's Waratah team for the past two seasons, is an ex King, local, honest, respected & GETS THE BEST OUT OF HIS TEAM WHO CONSISTENTLY over achieve.

I think that would be a perfect type of coach for the Kings moving forward.

Just my 2 cents.... : )

Reply #576337 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"And yeah like last year when the team was able to turn BJ Anthony and DQ into DJ and Motum, thats lucky they were available."

Just to insert facts into this one, DJ arrived with five games to go and Adelaide on an absolute roll (with Anthony a contributor in that), while after Motum arrived the team lost seven straight, in no small part due to Brock's lack of defence.

It's not like Wright was gifted with these magic pieces that turned the season around (from 3-2 when Motum arrived!) as convenient as that may be.

Reply #576341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the Kings have already released Markovic so highly doubt he will be back.

Reply #576394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Markovic has done nothing for last two seasons, his best is long gone.

Reply #576395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had tonsillitis issues and then disappeared. Who was responsible for recruiting him?

Reply #576397 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anyone who doubts Childress' value, should watch tonight's game. I swear that without him I would have left at half-time. Not only did he absolutely carry his team, he never gave up.

Reply #576400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great when he is on the court undoubtedly. So of the 2 seasons he's been here how many games has he actually played? Bringing in 2 chumps as well is also an issue. Who is responsible for that call too?

Reply #576401 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"So of the 2 seasons he's been here how many games has he actually played?"

From NBL stats page, he's played 29 of 54 games. Kings have won 10 of those games. They've won 4 games without Childress (Connelly didn't coach any of those 4 wins).

Hard to judge the Kings coaches' performances this year. Cotter had Childress and Markovic missing for almost all of the games he coached. Connelly has had Khazzouh and Markovic missing for most of his. Both coaches had to deal with micro management from above.

Reply #576435 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Please do not look to Carter as being some sought of saviour.
There is a big difference in standard between BNSW Waratah so called league and the NBL.

Just because he is an ex Kings layer does not mean he will succeed.
The only thing in his favour would be Management might support him more.

Damian Cotter is a far more credentialed coach than Carter and look what happened to him.

Until Management allow the coach to do his job the Kings will remain cellar dwellers or eventually go broke AGAIN.

Reply #576443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress was good again last night, as a fan hope he stays. Personally beleive if Connolly got more say to run his own show he can coach.

Reply #577044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good against a nothing Perth side means what?

Reply #577079 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It means a lot. Yesterday we learned that Childress > Redhage.

Reply #577080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most are better than Redhage this season.

Reply #577126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matthew, no, I wouldn't expect Markovic to play NBL again.

If I were Sydney, I'd keep Childress around regardless of injuries. Gives the team and league a bit of star power. And when he does play, he's obviously a capable player.

Really, had they kept Cotter, taken Lisch instead of Thornton and been winning enough to justify replacing someone like Khazzouh when injured they should've been in the mix for the four.

Reply #577142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry I missed why Markovic left the Kings? Can someone share.

Reply #577147 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think if you look at it we (NZ) were rubbish without Webster and Abercrombie, ADL have struggled without Randle, the Hawks had a tough start without Martin and Lisch, Perth had a rough patch without Martin IIRC.

Yeah, while there are other issues to criticise with the Kings on and off the court, take certain key players out of each team for a large chunk of the season and I'd like to see how they go...

NZ started off fairly crap with Webster missing at the start of the season, didn't they? And of course Randle missing has hurt the 36ers and take Martin and Prather out of the Wildcats and they'd falter as well...

Childress is cooked and can't stay on the floor. Time to spend that money on a player who will add to the team and actually play!!

LOL... How many minutes has he been playing since his return from freak injuries and what have his numbers been? Idiot...

re: Lisch... When I heard they knocked him back I seriously wanted someone's head... Even with Chill out, just having Lisch on board would have won games and kept that focus and winning attitude within the team... Such a lovely guy, great role model all with being one of the best players in the league with no bad ego... The only guy that I'd put in his overall class would be Rotnei Clarke... Put him at the top of my wish list for next season...

Pretty sure the Kings have already released Markovic so highly doubt he will be back.

Well that would explain why he was nowhere to be seen at their final home game... Jules was behind the bench, but no Steve... A shame it ended that way, as his last season in Townsville even with his injuries, he was still one of the better local PGs and as said above, with no Martin or Gibbo available, he was next in line...

Reply #577253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His first year in Townsville he was excellent, the second one he wasn't able to put his best foot forward, sadly. Cadee is becoming a quality player, he just needs a good veteran combo guard alongside him to balance out his swings.

Khazzouh said on Weds broadcast he's back next season, so a decent nucleus is there, they just need a good coach who can get them to defend and the right, tough-minded players to round out the roster.

Reply #577254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said only today that Lisch wasn't required as the ownership said we want a black import.

Reply #577256 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, but Cadee isn't a proper PG... Needing to have the ball in your hands to score isn't the same thing as being a proper PG that we need to run the team (and what I had hoped we had gotten in Markovic).

I think he's come on great though, and hope he sticks around... We need a really strong guard rotation and I think that can happen if he's the first off the bench though... I mentioned on the other forum that even though he's in the tail end of his career, I think Damo should still be someone that they target (again), brings the talent, the leadership and defensive toughness that would set the standard for the team... I know it would be super tough to get him back to the correct side of the country, but it should be a priority I think... Would set the tone and lift the bar for the whole team...

The first signing however, needs to be the coach... The ownership and management need to get that right, get the coach in ASAP and then let them build their team... No more waiting for players to get back and start training in August or maybe September, whenever they feel like... We were the last team to start pre-season training this year and I think it was a big factor...

There are three players signed for next season, Jules, Angus and Jeromie... Jules and Gus should be locks, but I don't know if Jeromie is the right choice to keep... The kid didn't get much of a chance this season for sure, and worked his butt off when he did get the time, but he's still stuck in that position where he's not really spot on for a combo forward or a proper PF...

Reply #577269 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's why you need an experienced combo guard alongside Cadee. Had he played with Lisch this year he would have taken more steps forward than he did. Get Cadee with the right coach and backcourt partner and he's ready to take off.

Reply #577272 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ahh if only... stupid management... *grumbles*

Rotnei Clarke seems to be fairly quiet by his standards overseas... I wonder if he's really happy... Hmm...

Reply #577274 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

McLeod as coach, Clarke as import, you might as well start some rumours!

Reply #577275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754