Aussie
Years ago

Melbourne United should play finals at Rod Laver

I think Melbourne United should play this seasons Finals at Rod Laver Arena.

I honestly believe they would sellout the 15,000 seat stadium.

Thoughts?

Topic #38937 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

I think they should stay where their players are used to, but look to schedule some games at Rod Laver next season.

Reply #576262 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They probably won't even sell out Hisense for all of their finals.

Look at Big Bash- the two Stars finals at the G got 30,000 (Friday night) and 48,000 (Sunday Night). Admittedly the 30k was on a night where it had rained during the day and the forecast gave a strong chance of that rain re commencing at night, and the Australian Open Tennis had started but still, the point remains: In light of the entire season those were only average crowds: The Stars got 30K and 33 K on their two previous home games- which were on a Wednesday and a Thursday. And got 80k for the derby against the Renegades.

Ticket prices will go up a bit for the finals. The cheapest tickets at Hisense are $28, and I’m guessing that will rise to $30 or $35 for the finals. With games being announced on short notice and quite possibly a mid week game in quick succession after Sunday the 14th home game, I will be surprised if they sell out the first semi final game.

Having said all that- I much prefer RLA to Hisense. Always have. Even if they get 8,000 people in a 15,000 seat stadium, I’d rather watch it in the better stadium. So go for it.

Reply #576265 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Grand Finals *maybe*.
Semi finals are traditionally tough to get big crowds to.

Reply #576267 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think the point about ticket prices is valid here, if they remained the same and they played at the bigger venue it may be possible to attract more fans.

There in lays the dilemma, does the club risk not filling a bigger stadium in the hope of filling their usual one but asking more for tickets?

Obviously finals time we all expect to pay a little more, however wouldn't it be something if the United went into finals promoting no increase in entry fees but generated an exciting atmosphere towards potentially filling up a 15,000 seat stadium...

Financially it could be no different, but as an exhibition and catalyst for the future of the NBL, well it could be gold!

Reply #576281 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I hope we don't go into more cricket or football comparisons, not even worth comparing.

Yes, the weather impacts the cricket crowds, end of story, and other sports like football have competition and other teams in Melbourne that can reduce crowd numbers, or enhance them when taking into account people who go to finals just because they love their sport.

Basketball here, like the NRL, has only one team, so the crowd may be maxed out, but we won't know unless we try something, which is why I would like to see them play in the bigger venue, regardless of what they do with ticketing (But I think bumping up prices is just stupid and short sighted), my opinion only...

Reply #576282 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

BBL is a reasonable comparison- like Melbourne United, it's a sport which has had strong upwards growth recently. And it's also a sport where the finals come in quick succession from the regular season.

The Big Bash doesnt quite have the same tradition behind it as AFL. I'm used to keeping the AFL finals series in my diary months ahead- everyone in Melbourne knows what September means. Whereas Big Bash and NBL don't have that same esteem (even amongst many of the regular attending fans, I would suggest).

Reply #576300 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne United's first semi will be Thurs Feb 18.

Confirmed via email from the club

Reply #576422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get off the fucking bandwagon, play at rod laver and sell it out lol

Reply #576587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:41 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754