gelder
Years ago

Refereeing your Bro'in VJBL!

Are you allowed to referee your sibling in VJBL game?
I thought the answer was "no" but witnessed it tonight, the "home"team won by 20. Is there any penalty for the association allowing this to occur when was there Ref and team? Surely it should have been disclosed to Ref Supervisor and a suitable replacement found!!

Topic #38939 | Report this topic

FM  
Years ago

I'll give a little scenario for you.

I hated refereeing my brother, but I loved watching them play.

My brother hated me refereeing him, thought I always picked on him and that I knew him to well. If he flopped or initiated the contact, I wouldn't call it. If he snuck a cheap one in I nearly always predicted it, plus called it.

There are 4 games on at 8pm but only 7 referees available. Hmmm do I?
A: let some game go with one ref so I can watch my brother, or
B: referee a game and miss my brothers game or
C: ref my brother because then we have 2 refs on each court plus I get to see him play.

Reply #576414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tissue really?

Reply #576421 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

I mentioned that the result was 20pts so opposing team was beaten by the better side. If it had been close though it may have caused problems.

My understanding is that you can not ref a Rep game where your son,daughter,brother or sister are playing in!

Just want to confirm whether anyone knows if it is a RULE for referees or not?

I would not have an issue personally so long as it was disclosed prior to the game, with the only alternative being we play with one Ref. This was not done as i spoke with the coach and assistant coach after their game!
Just poor form by the association and Ref supervisor(if there was one)

Reply #576431 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I recall a sibling of a player refereeing VJBL games at home for us in the past. Did us no favours whatsoever, wish he had been on another court, we may have won a game or three!

Reply #576434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What association were you referring too

Reply #576438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was this at Sunbury?

Reply #576669 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

This goes further than just this issue. After seeing the hosing we got last Friday night at an away venue. .. I believe all rep venues should be populated width neutral refs.

Reply #576714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Southern Joe. After all these years you still have issues with junior ball, but it's been well over a decade and a half so wtf haven't your kids reached adulthood yet?

Reply #576723 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

Small association.

My thing is that the Ref would have known he was to ref his brother the Thursday night. I say either change the ref for that game or disclose to opposition, it's about integrity.
I spoke to the ref after our game and i asked why he ref'd his brother, which he denied, i repeated that i knew that he had and it was not allowed to be reffing a sibling. He again denied it. A few of my players who knew him and his brother(one went to school with both of them)just laughed and said Come on man" He was embarassed and walked off. I felt sorry for the Frankston coach who didn't find out until i told him, but the reffing didn't affect his result BUT what if it had? Where does that leave the team in regards to grading? A win/loss can have big ramifications in regards to where you end up.

Reply #576739 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Got time to reply.

Anon723 ( nice to see you had the "gumption" to identify yourself..lol).

* I haven't had much to say about refs for quite a while now... but thanks for noticing my comments.

* I have 4 kids.... the youngest has gone on with things & plays rep.

* Its been more like 10 years ... but lets hope you learn to count ( or at least get a better memory).

* By the tone of your post ... have you reached your adulthood yet?

Reply #577569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about them Kings, Joe?

Reply #577682 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

They will be fine.... eventually.

And the relevance to this topic is? .....

Reply #577950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No relevance but it makes me feel better as a Sixers supporter. :P

Reply #577953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754