Dazz
Years ago

Final Round: - Is the Top-4 set?

I really don't see MU dropping both games to NZ, so they have locked in top spot IMHO.

Perth have the series over the Hawks, and nobody else can catch them, so they have locked in 2nd.

I can't see anyone catching the Hawks, so it looks like a Wildcats v Hawks semi-final series.

So that just leaves 4th.

I actually think Adelaide are in with a chance, albeit slim. As it stand, NZ have the split, and hence the spot. But Adelaide just needs a win.

A NZ win would secure them 4th spot. BUT MU won't want to drop a game to the team they would then face in the semis. They SHOULD win both.

Adelaide face Hawks & Perth, both of which have nothing to play for, and will have one eye on the semis.

How far off fit is Randle?
Might they suit him up, and just keep him on the bench bring him on if they have a sniff of a win?

Topic #38949 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

I think Randle will be back, whether on full minutes or something less.

Adelaide v Illawarra will be line-ball if he is, the Hawks aren't in great form. Melbourne v NZ is a great match-up and the Breakers have size to trouble them, especially with Cedric Jackson firing.

If Melbourne seal top spot Perth haven't got a heap to play for a few days out from their first playoff game and may rest a couple v Adelaide so that would give the 36ers a real chance.

I guess the answer to your question is no.

Reply #576604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth might tank it if they think the 6ers can catch the Breakers in the last game of the season . lets face it every other team in the race would not want to face the Breakers in the finals and would love for the 6ers to make it instead of the Breakers.

Reply #576605 | Report this post

Perth might rest players in the final game if their own position cannot change. Nothing wrong with that.

And hey, if that results in a team they'd prefer not to play missing out, best of luck to them.

Reply #576608 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The current 4 and positions are the most likely outcome. But none of the 5 spots are actually set.

Currently: Melbourne are a win and the split above Perth.
Perth have the split and a win over Illawarra (Illawarra only have 1 game left).
Adelaide have the 2-1 split over Illawarra (so if we beat them, we win that split).
Illawarra have the split and 2 wins over NZ.
NZ have the split over Adelaide.

So, the top 2 teams are locked in, but Perth can catch take top spot if NZ beats Melbourne both times and Perth beat Sydney and Adelaide.

Adelaide can come 3rd, if we beat Illawarra and Perth, and NZ loses at least 1 game.

There can be a 3 way tie for 3rd. Each of the 3 teams will hold one split, so it comes down to season percentage. Illawarra probably have enough percentage to finish 3rd in that outcome. Adelaide currently trails NZ by 0.72%. So it will depend on who wins by more this round.

Only way NZ can finish 3rd would be with a 3 way tie and they beat Melbourne comfortably both times and we beat Illawarra comfortably (catch up 4.2%).

It seems almost definite that the top 3 will be 1 Melbourne, 2 Perth, 3 Illawarra. And NZ have the box seat for 4th. But nothing is set in stone. Only things set in stone are Perth and Melbourne get the home final and Adelaide or NZ will miss Playoffs.

There's a 0.0001% chance that Illawarra finishes 5th. Only way that happens is if both Adelaide and Melbourne win the round by like 60+ points each.

Reply #576609 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If there's a three-way tie for 3rd, 4th and 5th I believe it goes to W/L in those season series, meaning:

Adelaide 5-3
Illawarra 5-3 (3rd then goes to points diff)
New Zealand 2-6

If Adelaide win both they are in by my calculations and Illawarra can't miss out.

Reply #576610 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Time for a reality check ADL fans:

It is much more likely that NZ will win their home game vs MU than ADL beating Hawks or Perth at home.

Reply #576614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's more likely the 36ers beating the Hawks in Illawarra (with Randle who is likely to play) than NZ winning either game against Melbourne.

I bet Melb would much rather play us in the SF and we would probably prefer to play them than Perth too.

Reply #576618 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Lets say NZ beat UTD twice and Perth win against Sydney and are up against Adelaide.

Do they allow the Sixers to win to have a potentially weaker opponent in the playoffs? Or do they play the game to win and have New Zealand come up against UTD?

2 Schools of Thought.

1) ADL could be weaker opponents.

2) NZ could be a bigger threat in the playoffs BUT they will play and potentially beat UTD, and could meet Perth in the GF with Perth having Home Ground?

Reply #576620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only we could fast forward to next season and then we could ask the same question of Brisvegas and have a giggle about Lemanis and tanking.. Seriously though, I think no one wants to take their chances with NZ now they are back on track and Pledge is up and running again. Cedric is on a mission and Webster if he's hitting is a beast.

Reply #576624 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

After losing to both, NZ have managed narrow wins against Townsville & Cairns. I'm not convinced (and not interested in arguing the toss) that Cairns had anything to play for, and I know for certain that Townsville didn't. They also beat Adelaide with Randle, which is to say that they turned up for the game and he didn't. Anyone who thinks they have the slightest chance of taking down MU twice needs a reality check.
MU have an iron grip on 1st place, and will absolutely lock it in with just one win over NZ. End of story.

Cats cannot be caught, they have locked in 2nd spot.

Hawks I reckon have locked in 3rd spot. They have 16 wins, and can put it beyond any doubt by beating Adelaide. There's no way NZ catch them, and it really hard to imagine Adelaide sans Randle beating both the Hawks and Cats.

So its down to 4th spot, and the tussle between NZ & 6's.
My money is on NZ because they can hold the spot by doing nothing if Adelaide can't scrape another win.
MU should be out to put NZ away, but stranger things have happened. If MU are complacent in the 1st game, NZ at home are a tough opponent. Or if MU take the first, then don't care about the 2nd. I'd be surprised, but its definitely possible. If NZ gets just one win then that really puts the hammer on Adelaide.
I reckon Hawks will account for Adelaide unless Randle makes a miraculous comeback.
Then their only hope is that MU rolls NZ twice, and Perth have nothing to play for in that final game.

Reply #576625 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dazz I think you'll find NZ were robbed in the first game they played against United in Melbourne and then beat them up here in Auckland.
NZ are more than capable of beating Melbourne when on song. The Hawks are the only team NZ have been unable to put away.

Reply #576632 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Townsville had nothing to play for, how did they take the Hawks to OT in Wollongong? They were up by 9 with a couple of minutes to go!

Reply #576640 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I don't see MU as a lock to grab top spot at all.

Melbourne won a nail biter at Hisense against an NZ team that was missing Vukona and Wesley, and then in the return matchup NZ won comfortably

Melbourne won a nail biter at Hisense against an NZ team that was missing Vukona and Wesley, and then in the return matchup NZ won comfortably.

It's a very interesting dynamic now, because for the past fortnight everybody’s been thinking that the championship was pretty much down to a 3 horse race. But NZ could well pinch 4th spot and if they do, they’ll get a semi final matchup against an opponent who they’ve done well against - either Perth or MU (pending this week’s results).

NZ went 2-2 vs Perth but won their matches more comfortably. And one of the losses was in Perth where they were missing Webster (and Pledger, perhaps?) and it went down to the final play.

Reply #576642 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"Lets say NZ beat UTD twice and Perth win against Sydney and are up against Adelaide.

Do they allow the Sixers to win to have a potentially weaker opponent in the playoffs? Or do they play the game to win and have New Zealand come up against UTD?"

You don't give up Grand Final home court because you're scared of NZ in the Semis.

Reply #576643 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

This has been a great season of teams having stretches of briliance.
First it was Melbourne who looked unbeatable - and they were for 9 games. Then they went a bit cold especially when they went someone warmer than Melbourne.
Then it was NZ for while once Webster got really hot.
Then Perth stateed looking really good once Prather found his groove and everyone wanted to know if anyone could stop the Hawks form hitting the 100 point mark with Ogilvy supporting Lisch and Penny.
Then NZ went real cold and everyone wondered why.
Then the Sixers started asking if anyone could stop Randle as they beat the High scoring Hawks and United is short time.
Then Penny got injured and the Hawks got the shakes, then Randle got injured and the 6ers went ice cold as NZ started to get a bit of swagger back.
So who has real momentum now?

Reply #576674 | Report this post

Numbers  
Years ago

5 games of note this round, so 32 combinations of results are available;

18 have MEL1 v NZE4 / PER2 v ILL3
6 have MEL1 v ADE4 / PER2 v ILL3
6 have MEL1 v ILL4 / PER2 v ADE3
2 have PER1 v NZE4 / MEL2 v ILL3

Reply #576759 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You're joking right?

The ONLY way that MU DON'T take top spot is if the lose BOTH games to NZ, AND Perth win BOTH their games.
Never going to happen.
Perth have already said that they are resting 4 of their starters for the Sydney game.

Lets say NZ beat UTD twice and Perth win against Sydney and are up against Adelaide.

Do they allow the Sixers to win to have a potentially weaker opponent in the playoffs? Or do they play the game to win and have New Zealand come up against UTD?
First thing they'll have to do is capture all those flying pigs before players start slipping in the shit.

Reply #576765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was MU or Perth I would be doing whatever it takes to keep NZ out. If Webster and Jackson fire at the same time and it looks like thats on the cards as they head in to a run then they will be red hot favourites to win from the Arc. Too much finals experience and a cool as a cucumber coach who onows how to win finals is dangerous.

Reply #576767 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Dazz- I wasn't aware that Perth had 4 players missing the Kings game.

I don't believe they are "resting" them- it makes no sense for Perth to sabotage their own chances of finishing on top. It makes more sense to believe that those guys have legit injuries.

Reply #576772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"This has been a great season of teams having stretches of briliance.
First it was Melbourne who looked unbeatable - and they were for 9 games. Then they went a bit cold especially when they went someone warmer than Melbourne.
Then it was NZ for while once Webster got really hot.
Then Perth stateed looking really good once Prather found his groove and everyone wanted to know if anyone could stop the Hawks form hitting the 100 point mark with Ogilvy supporting Lisch and Penny.
Then NZ went real cold and everyone wondered why.
Then the Sixers started asking if anyone could stop Randle as they beat the High scoring Hawks and United is short time.
Then Penny got injured and the Hawks got the shakes, then Randle got injured and the 6ers went ice cold as NZ started to get a bit of swagger back.
So who has real momentum now?"

Exactly!

Melbourne are on a roll at the momentum but is their run about to come to an end? Is NZ's run a return to their best or has it been helped by the level of oppo? Will Adelaide step back into previous form with Randle back in the line-up? Same with Illawarra with Penny back to full minutes?

You couldn't have scripted this season much better if you tried.

Reply #576776 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Totally agree Paul.

Epic season so far. If all teams can keep going/get going for the playoffs and we get some great playoff games, that'll put the icing on the cake.

I’m expecting all the finals series to go to 3 games.

Reply #576779 | Report this post

"You couldn't have scripted this season much better if you tried."

I'm sure we'll soon learn that Larry has scripted this exactly how he wanted it.

Reply #576780 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Chalmers.

Did Larry script...

A. Matt Knight shoving Warrick in the back, pushing him into a Perth player and causing him to foul out?
B. The referees spending two minutes reviewing an out of bounds decision, with the replay showing it was off Martin, before giving the ball back to Perth anyway?

In other words, did Larry tell those refs to get Perth into overtime with those calls in the last minute?

No.

As you know, it's the NBL. The 50/50 calls often go to the home team late in games.

Which makes Perth’s decision to rest 4 players this week very bizarre, since MU’s victories over NZ are far from assured, and the move puts Perth’s chances of retaining home court through the playoffs in jeopardy. Did Larry script that one too?

Reply #576781 | Report this post

I didn't think anyone would take that seriously but anyway...

50/50 calls are on thing. There are three examples, in three separate close Melbourne home games against other top teams (at the time), where the refs made either obvious blunders or just invented their own rules and/or interpreted actual rules in the most bizarre manner, all of which resulted in favourable outcomes for United. Two of those games resulted in refs being "stood down" supposedly.

So maybe scripted isn't the right word, I don't know what is, but for whatever reason, the refs blatantly determined the outcome for Melbourne. Take those results away and you'd be in a battle for 4th with the Breakers and 6ers right now. I don't think that is what Larry had in mind when he bought the league.

Reply #576782 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's not a fair way of describing things Chalmers, because if those calls *hadn’t* been made the way they were, Melbourne could have won those games anyway.

If I remember correctly, in fact, at least as far as the Beal/Majok incident, the consensus on here (from Paul and knowledgeable parties) was that it was at least debatable. And- none of them were any worse than Knight’s two handed push in the back which resulted in Warrick fouling out last week.

And I have to say, the last time Melbourne got deep into the playoffs they got absolutely destroyed by the refs in Game 3 in Adelaide 2 years ago. They called some phantom fouls very early in the game (On Morrison and Walker, from memory), meanwhile at the other end guys were literally grabbing Goulding’s singlet as he made his cuts.

I don’t like it, and it makes the NBL a bit of a bush league in my eyes. But I’ll be honest enough to admit this: it’s a somewhat comforting thought that if it is going to happen, it might benefit my team for a change this year- since we’ll have home court advantage.

Reply #576783 | Report this post

"And- none of them were any worse than Knight's two handed push in the back which resulted in Warrick fouling out last week. "

Really? You don't think the refs not only rewarding Goulding with the most obvious flop in the dying seconds against the Breakers, then deciding it was an USF because it was an out of bounds play, was on par or better than missing a push off the ball in the low post? Give me a break!

Reply #576792 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It was a while ago- can't really remember the technicalities of that decision.

Well anyway, be gracious enough to allow me to backpedal a bit, but yeah we can at least say that Knight non call was a disgrace.

And of course, the out of bounds fiasco with Martin a minute later shows that the Goulding/Webster incident wasn't the only time they went to a replay and still got it wrong!

Reply #576794 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let me clarify though- the Goulding flop I'd say was actually on par with the Knight push in the back in terms of the initial call/non call.

But the ensuing, prolonged poor process and eventual bad decision does make the Goulding incident worse overall.

Reply #576796 | Report this post

I just gave you the technicalities. Getting a call wrong is completely different to inventing rules, which they did on the Goulding flop. You can only wonder why.

Reply #576798 | Report this post

"the Goulding flop I'd say was actually on par with the Knight push in the back in terms of the initial call/non call. "

Yeah, I guess in the past few years, the numerous articles, comments and decisions to crack down on pushes in the back because its a blight on the game makes Knight's foul just as bad as Goulding blatantly flopping at centre court on an out of bounds play.

Reply #576799 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well you could interpret it as some kind of conspiracy from the top, or you could say that it was just a case of complete ineptitude from those two refs.

It's the NBL- so I'm going with the latter!

And as I said before, we don't know that Melbourne would have lost the game had that flop gone uncalled. So it's drawing a long bow to be making statements about "If..." ... "then...." Melbourne could be battling for 4th spot.

Reply #576801 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Flops are notoriously hard to pick, though, even When the best refs in the world from the NBA are trying to call it.

Whereas, Warrick clearly did not flop. He made an unnatural defensive movement by jumping forwards into the Perth player, and the ref didn't even question why- and neither did the other ref in the other position pick up on it. So I’d say it’s on par, yes. But we’re arguing technicalities now- my point is merely that in the NBL, home cooking happens. I don’t think you can just point to the Webster incident (and another one or two more debatable ones) as some kind of proof of conspiracy that Melbourne is rigging the competition or something.

Reply #576802 | Report this post

I'm not saying its a conspiracy. I'm just wondering what has been going on with three very dubious results. It goes beyond "home cooking" but I don't know the reasons why.

And Goulding's flop was not hard to pick as a flop. At all. Particularly not when it was off the ball, in the middle of the court, with Webster barely moving, and with at least three years of flopping being a point of emphasis.

Reply #576804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not set at all.

MEL #1 or #2
PER #1 or #2
ILL #3 or #4
ADL #3 or #4 or finish 5th (no lock yet)
NZB #4 or finish 5th (no lock)

Reply #576820 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The New Zealand one was daylight robbery. The Perth one with Beal-Majok was controversial but not necessarily a bad call, what was the other one?

In return Melbourne have copped the wrong end of the stick in Adelaide and particularly Perth, where the final couple of minutes were nothing short of disgraceful.

Home cooking is nothing new, it's just that Melbourne are actually good enough this year to benefit from it.

Reply #576823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite the playoff seedings being set the ladder can still finish differently.

Perth win vs Adelaide = Mel & Per tied on 18-10 meaning Per finish 1st due to superior pts %.

Perth lose vs Adelaide = Per & Ill tied on 17-11 meaning Ill finish 2nd due to suprior pts %.

Remember the ladder final positions are based on overall record not head to head. Head to head/mini league is only used for playoff seedings.

Reply #577688 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754