Train
Years ago

Kings vs Wildcats, Feb 10

Email from Cats : "INJURY UPDATE
After our game last Friday we did pull up sore with Damian Martin, Jermaine Beal and Nate Jawai all suffering short-term injuries. Casey Prather remains sidelined with a hamstring injury. All four will not participate in Wednesday night's game against the Kings in Sydney."

Makes the game very interesting. Perth B-side did well against Kings in Perth but not sure if be wanting to rest 4 starters when top spot is still a chance .

Topic #38954 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Makes the game a farce, really.
Poor Kings fans ... their games are painful enough to attend as it is.

Reply #576730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha more bad news for the Sixers.

Reply #576733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats vs 36ers on Sunday.

no scratch that

super fresh Wildcats vs 36ers on Sunday

lol playoffs

Reply #576735 | Report this post

Let the anonymous conspiracy theories begin!

Reply #576741 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They know what they need to do to manage themselves for a title run, id be pissed if my main guy got injured in a dead rubber. Seems the smartest thing Gleason has done all season actually!

Reply #576742 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth,s B-side did a good job on Sydney last week so probably not risking too much anyway. Actually looking forward to Jervis getting a good run again.

Reply #576746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dixon might get an assist

Reply #576755 | Report this post

Even if he passes after the buzzer?

Reply #576757 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well ... look, not to sound too credulous here, but both me and the missus noticed Jawai looking very awkward as he stepped off the court for the last time, Damo also copped a knock during the game and ... look, who knows what the hell was happening with Beal, that was just bizarre.

Reply #576758 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Let the anonymous Dazz conspiracy theories begin!
Fixed.

Reply #576760 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As I said, Beal being injured was one possible explanation, but to only take one shot? Must be serious, so why was he playing at all.

Jawai barely got above a fast waddle in those opening two minutes. Did he START the game injured???

The Cats cannot lose 2nd spot, and would need MU to drop BOTH games to NZ to take first.
I have no problem resting injured players in what is probably a dead rubber, and could still turn into another great run for the bench.

My only concern is how serious these injuries are. It wouldn't be the first time the Cats have staggered into the finals dragging their injured players behind.

Reply #576761 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sunday's available for resting players, after all the other games have been completed and they know whether they're still a chance at first.

Even if you sit the four of them on the bench most of the night, it'd be smart to have them there in case Sydney somehow remember how to basketball.

Reply #576764 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth have clearly telegraphed that they don't give a shit about this game. Sydney, at home, will think they're a chance, and should start the game with some degree of confidence.

Reply #576766 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I thought Sydney started their last game against Perth with some degree of confidence and how did that work out for them?

(No need to answer, it was a rhetorical question).

Reply #576805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the kings cant win this game then wow.

Reply #576807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats Kings game last Friday for once no crowd figure published - anyone know it? Only Perth Arena crowd no. missing this season.

Reply #576808 | Report this post

Blob  
Years ago

Gleeson will be gone after this season (irrespective of the result).

Matt Nielson will be coach & some more sensible decisions will be made.

Perth should still handle Sydney. No real repercussion if they don't anyway.

Reply #576812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wtf how is Nielson a sensible decision.

Reply #576814 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I expect to see Gleeson there for many seasons to come.

Reply #576842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No official figures published.

Reply #576845 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

Gleeson wont be gone UNLESS Perth gets bounced out in a pretty bad fashion in the 1st round.He has a pretty damn good record in his 2 and half seasons interms of wins/losses.

Who are you going to replace him with?

Reply #576853 | Report this post

Blob  
Years ago

Matt Nielson.

There is a succession plan already in place.

I will revive this thread when it all goes down.

Reply #576864 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, cos promoting their assistants has always worked so well for the Cats.

Gleeson needs to win this season, or go down fighting with injuries.

Reply #576871 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I've heard a few rumours about Nielsen too. Trev isn't s very popular bloke annoys the hell out of a lot of people. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Reply #576879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe knows everything

Reply #576880 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

If you watch our games of late, you can see the players are coming out to start with no spark or intent. It reminds me of the last year with Worsfold at Eagles, players don't seem to be fired up to go. Maybe a change is needed.

Why would Neilsen be no good ?

Reply #576885 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Maybe a change is needed.

Well... Hire, Beal, Knight, Redhage (and most likely Jawai?) are all on the final years of their contracts and Wagstaff and Martin both have player options for next season, so you might be able to get your wish? ;)

Reply #576889 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL. Would be great to see the Kings have a win.

Hopefully those four injuries are not too serious........

Reply #576891 | Report this post

I'm yet to see a wildcats team 'not care' about any game they show up to.. Wouldn't be surprised at all if their second stringers get it done against this insipid Sydney rabble. Particularly now that the Kings are favourites.

Reply #576894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many of the Kings starters start at any other club, Childress, that's probably it, perhaps Cadee and garlepp but both have better offensive than defensive.Hopefully a good game but can't see Kings winning.

Reply #576897 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth playing on the road, minus Martin, Beal, Prather & Jawai, and are still paying just $2.05 for a win.
That's about as big a slap in the face to the Kings as you can get.

Going to be some interesting combinations out there for the Cats. Good thing Hire has been hitting some outside shots lately because some time at the SG spot is probably on the cards for him tonight.

Reply #576915 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We're playing to win: Gleeson

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/30777060/were-playing-to-win-says-gleeson/

"We’re playing to win. We’re not playing just to take the DPs for experience," he said.
He said all three development players would be given between 15 and 20 minutes of game time, which may prove beneficial in the play-offs.

Guaranteeing major minutes for DPs doesn't really seem compatible with trying your best to win IMO.

Reply #576936 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Kings surely win this with ease. Im suprised by those odds. Almost a way to try trick some folks into betting on the Cats in a quick multi etc who dont know about the outs. Imagine putting a heap on the Cats thinking your going to double your money tonight and then you see, and think jesus who is going to score!!!!

Reply #576959 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

If the Wildcats win tonight, does it say more about their Bench Depth or the Sydney Kings?

Reply #576960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are favs @ $1.70. Cats $2.15

Reply #576965 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We're playing to win: Gleeson
"We're playing to win. We’re not playing just to take the DPs for experience," he said.
He said all three development players would be given between 15 and 20 minutes of game time, which may prove beneficial in the play-offs.
Guaranteeing major minutes for DPs doesn't really seem compatible with trying your best to win IMO.

I think he has to say 'we're playing to win", despite the obvious.
I haven't really done the math on the minutes, but I'd say the priority would be getting solid minutes into their regular bench players, without flogging anybody, and the DP's will make up the difference.
Good to see Vague back, his strapping was reduced when I saw him at the game, so presumably his finger has recovered.
I don't know what the rules are regarding DP's in the final, but if you need them that doesn't bode well.

Reply #576968 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Kings surely win this with ease. Im suprised by those odds
I tend to agree, but at least it makes the game interesting, and keep in mind that this is practically the same Cats line-up that humiliated Sydney last time.
No Praither, Jawai & Beal played 11/12 minutes each for 6 & zip.
Biggest difference will be no Martin.

Reply #576970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's bench

Jervis
Vague
Dixon
Wroe

That is just SBL level stuff outside of Jervis.

Reply #576974 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well that injury is not what we needed :-/

Reply #576976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else having trouble with the stream not starting in the app?

Reply #576977 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Who got injured... the App isnt showing the game. Hire Id bet.

Reply #576978 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Hire got crunched by Brandt. Lot of blood - eye or nose

Reply #576979 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hire got Smashed hard by Brandt and was bleeding all over the floor.
Hopefully he'll be ok to return once he's patched up

Reply #576980 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Vague seeing first quarter minutes :O

Reply #576981 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Why the hell is Jervis not starting.

Reply #576982 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

How do they count Kennys but not Garlepp! That kind of inconsistency kills me.

Reply #576983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matty Knight caught trying to push his opponent (like he did Warrick the other round) into a shooting team mate to draw foul....this time got hire messed up. Reckless play

Reply #576984 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Knight barely touched Brandt, just a big guy going for the glory block and Hire getting smashed. Saw it on twitter, Knight didnt cause it.

Reply #576985 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Commentator logic: because Perth only have 8 players they should be calling the game less tight. What?

Reply #576986 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hire should not be allowed to return. Do these support staff do concussion checks?

Reply #576987 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

App not working here either :(
Gleeson out for Neilsen may be a great move. But Trev knows he can't coach so I will be surprised if he ever gave the position up. He does have a big budget to buy talent and that goes a long way to hide their bum coach

Reply #576988 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

FFS they're calling some super-soft ones tonight

Reply #576989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let them play my god

Reply #576991 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sydney on pace for about 120

Reply #576992 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha @ KENNY.

What a bum.

Someone started a thread on here saying he needed to put up more shots.

Hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Reply #576994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh welcome back.... Anything else to offer but calling layers bums.

Reply #576996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL might be the worst defensive league in world basketball....

Reply #576997 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Are you watching Kennys game?
This is his opportunity to lead this bench team.
#awful

Reply #576998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh please this isn't a team, it's a damn practice squad. Just looking to troll someone for the sake of it. I hate the wildcats but nothing to attack about them tonight, they are playing out a dead rubber. And come finals time it's guys just like Kenny that will hit the dagger shots

Reply #576999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone allowed to play defense in this league? Or has the league PROSTITUTED and changed the rules of the game so they can tell everyone it is a high scoring league.

Reply #577000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has happened to carfino, he called one or two games early then haven't heard of him since. Anyone know?

Reply #577001 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Nonsense.
For fringe players this is far from a dead rubber.

Lol @ kenny

Reply #577002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it does have importance to them, but what are you expecting from him. He is a finisher a guy who makes the 3 off the pass that MARTIN makes. He isnt a self creator. Your whining about him has no merit LOL.

Reply #577003 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LOL @ Kenny!!
shooting just 50% from the field atm
P.S. LOL!!!

Reply #577004 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yes...LOL

Reply #577005 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't bite on ROFLcopter people. He's worse than the blowout troll.

Reply #577006 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Ahhhh, the butthurt is strong with these ones.

Reply #577007 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I always thought he was the blowout troll? Same posting style

Reply #577008 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

As if.
I'm complimentary of the league.

I reserve my lols for some of the clowns who post here.

Reply #577009 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Don't know that an easier $1.78 will ever come my way.

Reply #577010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are playing childress and main guys to pad there stats lol

Reply #577011 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Cadee's chance to shine against no quality opposition and he goes MIA.

Reply #577012 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Fingers crossed that the rest of the round is better than that display.

Reply #577013 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well the Kings must feel like that are champions.ha ha
Playing against a very undermanned Wildcats.
They are losers and the management can say thanks we did it.
Minny me(the glasses man) can say my boy Indy is a superstar.ha ha.
Craig Moller,softy.
Go the Hawks.

Reply #577014 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I think Harvey only has wee bit of bias for Cadee

Reply #577015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Martin resting his ankle in Sydney. What a joke.

Reply #577016 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Luuuc im with you had the house on the Kings, easiest possible money. And yeah think the blowout troll, but who knows these days.

Reply #577017 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not exactly a game for the ages tonight, but it was good to get a look at some of the young guys for both teams, and for the Kings Faithful and Vandenberg in particular. Faithful got a bit excited with some of the shots he put up, but solid defensively. Vandenberg at least looks like he has the potential to be a rotation guy down the line.

Cadee and Carter, for two guys who are supposed to be shooters, make me cringe every time they pull up for a 3 in the halfcourt. Keep one (Cadee) off the bench, let the other go, sign an experienced import PG (I don't care if he was ever drafted in the NBA), and bring back Childress and Brandt. Garlepp has stepped up his scoring but is still a liability on the defensive end, but having another guard or two who can defend the perimeter helps there.

Reply #577019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth needs to develop some young guys. Dixson and Vague are terrible. Atleast Wroe shows some potential.

Reply #577020 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

To be fair, hard to expect much more than bodies for practice as far as development players go, given the salaries. If you're a young basketball talent you are nuts if you don't try and get a college gig in the US.

Reply #577021 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

When was the last time a Perth development player actually got a proper NBL contract? Other than Wagner's very brief run with Sydney in 2011...Garlepp? Goulding? And they had to go elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I was watching a couple of 2009/10 Breakers games a few weeks ago and seeing developmental players Alex Pledger, Tom Abercrombie, Corey Webster, Tai Webster, and Jeremiah Trueman.

In the last five years, I've watched every single minute of every single televised game, including NBL TV games and pre-season games. I turned this one off early in the fourth.

I can't imagine Sunday will be much better.

Reply #577023 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I hope Sunday wont be much better! Are those Cats players going to definitely out again... if so a fit Randle means Adelaide should get the W.

Reply #577025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Told you Dixon would get an assist.

Reply #577026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress and Brandt were exceptional and the Kings played quite well but Perth were woefull even with the guys they had out.
A good crowd for a Wednesday night and a good atmosphere.

Reply #577027 | Report this post

Kaiju  
Years ago

Hire was a Development Player before

Reply #577028 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well, Gleeson was true to his word, DP's totalled 50 minutes.
I'm a little disappointed that some of the guys didn't step up with more points, but at the end of the day, the game was a joke.

Doesn't have me looking forward to Sunday...

The big concern obviously is just how serious those injuries are. It would not surprise if they were minor, and the resting mostly precautionary, but if not this season is going to end badly, again. Plus, we didn't need the injury to Hire.

Why did Martin travel? Visiting family?

Reply #577029 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

From the article posted earlier in the thread

"Martin will sit on the bench, with Gleeson declaring the captain needed to be around the team at this stage of the season."

Reply #577030 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So he was visting family then... c'mon needs to be around the team, oh Trev.

Reply #577032 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Got to get some perks being the captain, don't ya?

Reply #577034 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Actually, both arguments make sense.
Martin is the Heart & Soul of that team. Good to have him around the young guys, and good idea to keep him happy.

Reply #577037 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"When was the last time a Perth development player actually got a proper NBL contract?"

Hire, as someone else said, and I believe Jervis was a training player with them too.

Reply #577038 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Forgot about Hire. Still, that's one in the past five or six years. Probably similar to most Australian clubs, but the Breakers are having no trouble turning their DPs into stars. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the DP system, just the way they're using it.

I hope Sunday wont be much better! Are those Cats players going to definitely out again... if so a fit Randle means Adelaide should get the W.
They're all expected to play.

Why we rested everyone tonight instead of Sunday, if Melbourne won, is beyond me. Or, if Melbourne lose both, play it out and try to get top spot.

Reply #577039 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe they're happy playing Illawarra. Losing to Sydney means the Cats get second, beating Adelaide ensures the Hawks are third (if that's even required).

Reply #577040 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Worth giving up home court in the grand final, though?

Unless they're planning on NZ knocking United off, and getting past Illawarra...but that's not a great plan.

Reply #577041 | Report this post

"Why we rested everyone tonight instead of Sunday"

Because last night was an away game, and they didn't want to take three of the players on the flight due to nature of their injuries.

What's a bigger risk? Giving up HCA in the GF, or trying to win the GF without one of your starters?

Reply #577042 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Re Martin being on the bench. He wasn't listed in live stats so assume he wasn't on the team sheet. Also, Hire was denoted as captain for the game.

As paul said, Perth would feel pretty comfortable with home court advantage against Illawarra. This season they beat them by 7 and 3 in Wollongong and by 23 and 29 in Perth. They'd be less comfortable facing NZ in the semi finals.

Anyway, how likely is it that Melbourne will drop both games against NZ, this round? If I was Perth, I'd feel it's more likely we would beat Melbourne at least once in Melbourne in a GF series. But for some odd calls towards the end of the game, they would have done that already this season - when Melbourne were red hot.

Reply #577043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings played well, you have to beat who's in front of you. Kings also had three of their starters from season start out as well.

Reply #577045 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Interestingly, last night's result means Melbourne will be the only team in the NBL this season NOT to have a losing record on the road. They're 7W-6L at the moment and, at worst will be 7-7 on the road after this round. Perth and Illawarra are both 6W-8L, with Adelaide next best with 4W-8L and their last two road games this round.

Reply #577046 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Atleast Perth have avoided a semi final matchup with NZ. Breakers seem to switch to another mode come finals time. Interesting to note that if Breakers do make the finals we could potentially see 5 games straight between United and Breakers.

Reply #577056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Meanwhile, I was watching a couple of 2009/10 Breakers games a few weeks ago...

In the last five years, I've watched every single minute of every single televised game, including NBL TV games and pre-season games."

Yeah Yeah kr we knnow you're a virgin no need to remind us all.

Reply #577131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, that's so much worse than following someone around on the internet to speculate about their love life.

I get it when people throw out that response after I've gone off on some lengthy detailed ramble over some obscure bit of trivia. People are insecure. But to just throw it out at random like that? That takes some serious lack of a life, dude.

Reply #577167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's how it reads like. "Meanwhile, I was watching a couple of 2009/10 Breakers games a few weeks ago..." F'IN LOL!!!!

Now you're the one who is insecure throwing out the lack of a life line at me.

Reply #577174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754