Anonymous
Years ago

U20 Australian National Champs

The tournament is days away now.

How are the SA Men and Women expected to go? Who will surprise?

For mine, SA men seem young, hungry and very talented. Rigoni and Rathjen are known quantities but many have snuck under the radar (Hank, Mayen, White, Cox to name a few) and so will surprise a few big teams.

SA Women look strong with Ortlepp, Yaeger, Elseworthy, definate medal chance, but unlikely to match the Victorians.

SA Under 20 Men

Brad Rathjen

Brennan Cox

Brent Hank

Cale Matthews

Isaac White

Jacob Rigoni

Lat Mayen

Nicholas Wurm

Tom Goodall

William Gleeson-Pongrac

Under 20 Women

Anne Hatchard

Bianca Thacker

Chelsea Brook

Hannah Stewart

Jade Johnson

Lauren Brennan

Morgan Yaeger

Nicola Mathews

Sarah Elsworthy

Taylor Ortlepp

Topic #38958 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the men will struggle a very weird selected group. Coach did not do due diligence, and a number of players will be exposed.
Many are watching very closely.

Reply #576902 | Report this post

WatchingClosely  
Years ago

Can't see anyone that missed out other than those injured that were even remotely close in men's group.

A very talented, young group there.

Reply #576907 | Report this post

Kathleen Cadle  
Years ago

Surprised at Vic Metro women team, there appears to be 'regulars' missing eg. Maley, Hellesy, West. Are they not listed due to injury?

Reply #576918 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Surprised at Vic Metro women team, there appears to be 'regulars' missing eg. Maley, Hellesy, West. Are they not listed due to injury?

Reply #576919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out the media guide for the tournament..
It has all players/teams listed with their age and heights.

Why no nt, act, nz, tas?
Stupid having 2 teams from 1 state.

Reply #576945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tas pulled out of both woman and men.

Reply #576949 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

SA has a strong group of players by the looks of things. Good too see a few names that haven't always been selected or heard of. A young but talented team, it'll be interesting to see how they go!

Reply #576962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maley did not trial, West was rehabbing an injury ( I think ) West made the second team ( Very stiff ). Still will be very good, AC from last year now heading the team.

Reply #577022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, early days I know and scores are not blow outs for the most part, but does any state care about these championships other than the Vics who will probably play off for both gold and silver medals in both men and women?

Reply #578086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO SA Men. Huge game this evening!!!

Good medal chance hopefully with 8 bottomagers.

Reply #578088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who out of this u20 lot will make u18 Oceanias and u19 worlds next year?

Reply #578092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That should be VERY easy, if the decision makers want to make it easy for themselves (but I think they will try and loose which seems to happen). Assuming none of the guys at prep schools are available (Gak would step in if he was)......;

McDowell White/Tom Fullarton/Mudronja;
Lat Mayen/Isaac White;
Angus Glover/Jacob Rigoni;
Froling/Ben Carter/Makuach Maluach;
Hank/Andrew Fergusen;

Reply #578148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If all available...

McDowell-White/glover
Kenyon/Fullarton/Healy
M.maker/mading
H.froling/magnay/maluach
Humphries/gak

Reply #578151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls maybe...

Rocci/Molloy
Horvat/ogier/yaegar
Maley/Patrick
Bibby/aokuso/hoycard
Magbegor/mcspadden

Reply #578152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I seeing this right....
NSW is 0-2
What is going on there?
Who is the coach?

Reply #578172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some very funny names in that girls squad!

Reply #578177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the funny ones?

Reply #578179 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Your reading right.NSW won against act in the boys.
Tim Hudson coaching the boys and Peter Lonergan coaching the girls.
Bnsw decisions(Robbie Cadee) is if you have nbl experience or wnbl experience you get state team head coaches job.
Boys team missing quite a few so called studs.
Girls team struggling also with some players missing i think.

Reply #578190 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Potentially NSW men would be missing some good players due to being overseas at high school or college, isn't this the case? May also be the same for their women, however I am not sure...

Every state could be a little stronger, but some cover these losses better than others perhaps.!

Reply #578207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It constantly astounds me that selectors and coaches pick kids that are limited offensively.

They may give 110% and be great defenders, but if they can't score they are a liability for the team.

You need to have 5 offensive threats at all times.

That doesn't mean to say they all need to be great 3 point shooters, but it could be finishing around the rim, dribble, drive penetrate, lay ups, pull up jumpers, etc.

It is easier to teach a kid who can score/shoot to play some defense, than it is to teach a great defender to shoot/score.

Reply #578209 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Bill Russell v Wilt Chamberlain

Is this what you want to debate anon, been debat d many times?!!

Reply #578211 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

I wouldn't entirely agree with you Anon209.

There are some very recent examples where teams have had great success without having 5 legit scoring threats.

Golden State won the championship with a model that had role players supporting their scorers in Curry/Thompson/Green.

Damian Martin has carved out a fantastic career in the NBL without ever being a real scoring threat but being a great defender.

It really depends on the makeup of your team. I would agree that having a great defender with no offensive skills wouldn't work on a team that doesn't have a couple of dominant scorers.

Having all scoring threats doesn't always work either. The old Phoenix teams could always score lots of points but couldn't, or wouldn't, defend.

It is all about getting the balance right for the individual team.

Reply #578214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a coach I have always gone with 3 offensive studs, surrounded by GLUE.
I will give you some great examples of teams that have operated very differently without them on the floor.
mika vikouna. warrick giddy.damien martin.mark Dalton.
having 5 scorers on the team doesn't work but everyone has there own style and own ideas that is what makes this games so much fun.

Reply #578224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After seeing today's game vs Vic your post, #578148, does not look completely ridiculous.

Reply #578245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, talk about jobs for the boys.

Lonergan, good coach but move on! Surely there are better womens coaches than him.

Cant believe that Hudson is the coach of the mens team when there are much better coaches than him. But, when Cadee has anything to do with it, Hudson will be a walk up start. I wonder if Hudson or Cadee picked the team ;)

When is old man Cadee going to be moved on??

When was the last time NSW has won gold? Men & Women

Reply #578267 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cadee probably had a bit of say in the team.
He should be going soon to the role at the Bnsw college of basketball to work with,guess who peter Lonergan and rob Mckinley(18 metro boys head coach).
This is Hudson 2nd year so if he does not medal you wouldthink it would be see you later But you Never know.it will depend you would think on who else applies and most iMportent who takes Cadees place.

Last time NSW men won gold was back in the Beveridge days when they won 2 in a row.

Girls last won gold when Lauren Jackson wad playing for NSW along with Suzie Batkovic.

The deceNt womens coaches won't apply because they do not get considered over jobs for Boys even though they maybe better credentialled.
Perhaps Dalton may get a go at 20's if she does well at 18's as the NSW metro girls coach.

A lot of good coaches don't apply after the way they get treated by some of the Bnsw people in certain positions.

Reply #578284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the informative reply Anan.

That's disappointing to hear that certain coaches don't get looked after. I know a few coaches that would certainly be good enough to coach at that level.

Seems to be the same people year in year out. Just different teams.

Im surprised that Jacob Jakomas hasn't got a gig. No secret that Cadee loves him. He seems to always get the good teams.

Sounds like if you are not in Cadees click, you got no chance of a coaching job.

When Watkins & Gruggen were there things seemed to be running very well. I heard Cadee treats everyone like s*@t, that's why they left.

Whos next in the revolving door?

Reply #578437 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Jerkomas does have a job(16 Metro Men) appointed by Cadee.

Reply #578531 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Does anyone know if U20 finals being live streamed?

Reply #579079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, at 6pm for women and 8pm for men. I think they set it back for an hour.

Reply #579088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy & McSpadden?

Reply #579214 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

well nsw have had a great nationals.
wnbl and nbl experience obviously goes a long way.
sorry missing studs so that will be the excuse.
or wait there other states do not have studs missing.
Cadee makes anothet great decision for both teams but he will in new job soon so no blane goes his way.
it is all the coaches fault.

Reply #579240 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

no bonuses from this nationals.

Reply #579241 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wilson and White dominated for Vic Navy in the big win. I was very impressed by these two.

Reply #579259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vics were the only ones who cared enough to want to win

Reply #579282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon
Are you pissed? What does all that mean?

Reply #579283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe the best team won. that simple.

you nsw guys need to relax and stop with the rubbish.

Reply #579284 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Congrats to the Vic teams on their wins.they were the best teams all week.
In the mens the white team also did well so it proves how strong Vic basketball is with the womens white team in top 4 as well.

The 20's nationals unfortunately is dropping off in quality with a lot of the good players being already committed overSeas at college or high schools.
Nsw basketball has declined over the last couple of years at nationals level so maybe a change of leadership may be a good thing.
Maybe other coaches will be given an opportunity because it is known that some do not apply knowing they won't get a look in because they are not a member of the boys club.
Some of the younger ones think that after a year as an assistant that they should now be the head coach the next year.they need to understand you have to serve your time.
There are also good coaches out there who can coach at nationals level who do not have nbl or wnbl experience.

Reply #579312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not just serve time, get AC experience is the key. Different when you are heading the program instead of AC. Both very important roles that require cohesive working conditions

Reply #579349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754