Andy
Years ago

Oscar's demise

Seems more like a hindrance than a help to the Hawks lately, when he is not shooting well along with his soft defence and non rebounding. I think they should be playing Davidson/Ogilvy combo more and giving more minutes to Coneradd and Ellis. Thoughts?

Topic #38959 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis has been a surprise of late, re Oscar age does catch up and not the player he was but still does what's required. Bevo knows how to get it done.

Reply #576906 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yet he is still shooting 47.2% FG, 47.3% 3 and 80% on FT for the year.

He hasn't had a "demise" at all.

"Seems more like a hindrance than a help to the Hawks lately, when he is not shooting well along with his soft defence and non rebounding"

You could say that about heaps of NBA 'shooters' though couldn't you. Ray Allen, Steph Curry, Kyle Korver, Danny Green are all pretty redundant when they're not shooting well. Yet most/all teams would take them.

Reply #576914 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm more of a Golden Globe's man myself

Reply #576916 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that Ellis has been playing really well. I have no doubt that Bevo will shuffle starters or adjust minutes when he thinks it makes sense.

Reply #576917 | Report this post

#oscarsotan

Bevo's high scoring system is great and suits all of his outside shooters. The problem is, if the shots aren't dropping, you need players willing to crash the glass to offset the misses. That is probably where his value has been "lessened"

Reply #576921 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is weird to see Oscar only shooting 38% on threes and sitting outside the league's top 10.

Oppo teams have gone at him hard defensively this year and that has dropped his minutes to 21 (down from high 20s, low 30s in recent years) which might make it harder to get a rhythm.

Ellis has been their number one PF this season, but Forman is still going to play an important part in this season. He'll have a hot game somewhere and he always spreads the floor no matter whether he's hot or not.

BTW I think Oscar's demise would make a really good novel title.

Reply #576922 | Report this post

A sequel to In the Stillness of a Single Breath...

Reply #576923 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Ellis has been their number one PF this season"

Admittedly I haven't seen Ellis play recently, but this doesn't make up for his string of horrible performances earlier in the season.

Defensively (including rebounds) Forman is a liability, but he's a game-changer offensively - particularly at his position. Regardless of whether he's hitting shots, no NBL coach would instruct his players to sag on Forman - quite the opposite.

Keep in mind: spacing is paramount to Illawarra's offense, they struggle to rebound as a team, and their bigs have been inconsistent all season.

Forman > Ellis

Reply #576928 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Wish he had stayed with the sixers as a one clubber.

Reply #576929 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

What the Sixers have lacked in just about every season since Oscar's departure is exactly what Oscar gives you - high percentage spot up three point shooting.

Only former Sixer in the league over the past 10 years that I wish we had never let go.

Reply #576932 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

he's really dragged the team down.... to finishing 3rd, possibly 2nd... what a liability......

Reply #576933 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Like someone else said, no coach would EVER say sag off Oscar Forman on the 3 point line. By respecting his shot, it opens up the lanes for Lisch Penney and Martin to drive and make things happen. Not the best defensive player, but his one weapon is the 3 and thats still a very valuable commodity in the NBL!

Reply #576952 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Forman started the season hot and has cooled considerably.
Ellis started the season TERRIBLY and has been really good of late.
Both will have important roles to play down the stretch of the season.

Reply #576955 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Every time I see him play, he gets 2 or 3 fouls in his first 5-10 mins on the court.

Reply #576961 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I have only watched Forman play Perth, and he gives us match-up problems every time. Pretty much forces Perth into a non-preferred rotation. Knight simply cannot defend him on the perimeter.

Reply #576971 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^ Perth beat Hawks all the time! They smash them inside and on the boards so I doubt Oscar causes them too many problems.
I wasn't hating on Oscar I like him but come playoffs the Hawks need stronger inside presence, Ogilvy cant beat front lines like Knight & Jawai by himself.

Reply #576972 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah I've certainly noticed this and wondered when it would be a topic!

Would you ever use Oscar as a spark off the bench?

Oscar always seemed to me like an NBA 3 man think Detlef Schrempf or other gangly SFs. But in this league he gets outmuscled by the bigs and is too slow to guard the perimeter players.

Oscar basically is the reason I've suggested that If you have him then you also need a player like Greg Hire that's only interested in crashing the boards on both ends.

I love AJ Ogilvy but he isn't the solution to their rebounding word that I thought he'd be as they basically think he is their only rebounder or when Laz or Cody are on

Reply #576993 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth beat Hawks all the time! They smash them inside and on the boards so I doubt Oscar causes them too many problems.
As I said, Oscar causes them match-up problems at ONE end.
Ogilvy cant beat front lines like Knight & Jawai by himself.
But yes, the Cats murder them on the boards.

As mentioned I don't watch a lot of the Hawks, but with his outside game, I wonder if they aren't better off playing Forman in the 3 spot, and bringing on somebody else as PF to partner with Ogilvy in the front court?

As a non-follower, I often find it hard to understand the Hawks' rotations. So often they seem to running a 3-guard rotation, but I'm not sure who their PG is?

Reply #577033 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Forman > Ellis"

If that were the case Rob Beveridge would play Forman the crunch minutes, but it's been Ellis most of the time.

Ellis has leapfrogged Forman since the start of the season, with Oscar shooting 29% from 3p over the last 16 games he just isn't offering much. Mo, you need to watch more Hawks games, they're entertaining!

Reply #577035 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Oscar basically is the reason I've suggested that If you have him then you also need a player like Greg Hire that's only interested in crashing the boards on both ends.

Fair enough, we'll swap ya for Penney (or a Naturalised Lisch.)

Seriously though, if Hawks could get him naturalised, AND could find the money for two imports, say a PG and PF, they could be unstoppable.

Reply #577036 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Lisch is their point guard until Weeks or Martin Coke on and he slots into the two.

White defends the opposition's most dangerous player which I think is fascinating as Losch will win defensive player of the year this year and Penney seems content to guard the other gust but with so many starting 3s in this league able to play the 2, Penney or Illawarra for that matter are hardly hampered by him defending a taller player

Reply #577621 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Lisch is their point guard until Weeks or Martin Coke on and he slots into the two.

White defends the opposition's most dangerous player which I think is fascinating as Losch will win defensive player of the year this year and Penney seems content to guard the other gust but with so many starting 3s in this league able to play the 2, Penney or Illawarra for that matter are hardly hampered by him defending a taller player

Reply #577622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754